Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Match.com are irresponsible      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyc4
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Match.com are irresponsiblePage 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

The one that is sent to my personal email account is sent annomously from the sender as @TalkMatch.com
If they send there email address in the email itself it is not changed to my knowledge.

That is because only PAYING Matchcom members can SEND email. Only PAYING members can READ email sent to them by other members. Once they have both parties money, for all Match or most of the other pay sites care, you could send your home address, phone # , a map to your house, your SSN, your bank acct #....well you get the picture. All this "worry" about "safety" is nothiing but a ploy to get into your wallet.

Now, having said that, I have in fact in the past met some very nice men, some of whom I still see as friends or correspond with. But MOSTLY those all occured BEFORE they got grabby about money.

I do have a paying acct at Yahoo,but it's been pretty dry lately, don't know if I will continue much longer.
Here are a few more free sites
ConnectingSingles
BlueCollar Dating
Matchdoctor
 canyunflyer
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Match.com are irresponsible
Posted: 12/29/2006 8:59:52 AM
Buy a block of time payed with a personal check. I garuantee you, when the time is up.... you won't have a problem with trying to stop it!!! ha.

I did a 3 month membership on match.com. I don't see what all the complaints are about. what in the Hell do you expect from a commercial site? They do it to make money. Sure, they want to assist you in being successful, but its because that will make them more money in the end. Its a business. I never had a single problem with censure....or refusals of fotos or profile text.... or anything. And I accepted the fact that everyone had to be paying members to play. I had a few minor complaints about format etc... but No site will ever be perfect.
 mefein
Msg: 78
"FREE" 3 DAY TRIAL
Posted: 12/29/2006 9:07:33 AM
I ALSO HAD THE PROBLEMS YOU MENTIONED NOT JUST WITH BEING UNABLE TO CONTACT PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO CONTACT ME, BUT ALSO THEIR CLEVER IDEA OF THE THREE DAY FREE TRIAL WHERE THE CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS REQUESTED AND THEN USED TO MAKE IT A MONTHS SUBSCRIPTION BECAUSE OF A RETURN TO THE "FREE" TRIAL.
SHARP PRACTICE TO SAY THE LEAST. IT HAS HAS ALREADY COST ME A MONTHS SUB BUT I REFUSE TO USE EVEN THAT. WONT GET CAUGHT OUT AGAIN WITH MATCH.COM. ME FEIN.
 smartstart06360
Msg: 79
FREE 3 DAY TRIAL
Posted: 12/29/2006 9:49:02 AM
I've used the "free 3-day trials" on both dHarmony and Match.com and met some really nice people from them. The trick is that you have to be smart and "cancel" the auto renewal before the end of the 3rd day....that simple.

They are both great services, depending on what you are looking for. I've found that the people here on POF, while nice, are just playing around for the most part. Which is fine, as I love talking to people. The people on Match, eHarmony and Yahoo seem to be a little more interested in actually dating and eventually forming a long-term commitment.
 Decemberman
Msg: 80
FREE 3 DAY TRIAL
Posted: 12/29/2006 10:47:53 AM
God bless POF and it's founder!!!
 bruin2294
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/29/2006 12:38:48 PM
you have hit it right on the head....been there not reputable service..........
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/29/2006 1:44:18 PM
People, people, people!!!

How can you resent those websites that let you window shop for free, but then make you pay if you actually want the merchandise? No one is GIVING you or even selling you a boyfriend or a girlfriend, they are SELLING ACCESS to potential boyfriends or girlfriends. They deserve to get paid for that, and you and I don't deserve it for free (even though PoF is giving us something for nothing). But then again, PoF doesn't advertize so I had to hear about it through a friend, and it is stronger in certain geographical areas than others, etc.

I think PoF has spoiled everybody. I don't know how PoF does it, and I think they are terrific, but you can't expect all services to be PoF. There are pros and cons to PoF and all the other sites, and either paying for a service is worth it to you or it isn't. If it isn't, quit critizing the others and focus on PoF.

The only sneaky stuff I've encountered on the other sites is a display that someone is on-line right now, when they aren't. Misleading, but I presume the service is trying to get you to make a contact sooner than later, so you meet someone sooner then declare their services a success and you become a satisfied coustomer that recommends them.

Instead of complaining that the other guys rightfully make you pay for access, compliment PoF for making it work without charging us.

Now, on with the daunting task of searching for love.
 wifeymaterial35
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/29/2006 1:51:05 PM
match sucks ....

and i would never pay for a dating site.....................

wifey
 Fiery~D
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 2:18:40 PM
Match.com does suck - big time.

I've rigged my site on there to give clues to another site where I can exchange personal email addresses and neither party has to pay to do so.

I refuse to pay for dating anyway, as far as I'm concerned I shouldnt have to pay for guys to stomp all over my feelings, I can get that for free anytime.
 ladyc4
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 2:18:53 PM
As for the Yahoo member who appears to be "online"...
That shows up anytime a Yahoo member( remember it is not JUST a singles site) is logged into any part of Yahoo, that could be chat room, regular email account, instant messenger, games....Or some people share a yahoo account with another family member or room mate.(This is especially common with technology-intimidated older users)

It is pretty common for those initial contacts that seem so promising to fade away, and you will have lots of "first meetings" that will go noplace...
THIS( PoF, or ANY dating site, whether free or pay) IS NOT A "FAST LANE" ROUTE TO RELATIONSHIP SUCCESS. It is however a valid way to meet people you might not have otherwise met,even if they don't pan out. But it should be PART of other activities, not your sole recourse.

As for the "pay" situation, yes no one is arguing that the basic premise , payment for advertising space, is invalid. It's a fine idea at it's core.But I find some of the methods used by the various websites to be kind of insulting...they almost seem to want the site user to FEEL like a desperate loser.( "Hey ladyc4, dumsob has WINKED at you! What if he's THE ONE!! ?Hurry hurry, get out your credit card so you can email dumsob before he escapes!!) HEL-LO! just how damn stupid do these website "dating advisors" think we all are anyway??

Tell ya what, you can spend 50 bucks between transportation and drinks at a local bar, spend 29.99 a month for a dating website, subscribe to a free dating website, join a singles club, and walk down Main Street buck naked...any of those methods may or may not help you find "THE ONE". Option 4 probably WILL get you arrested ,if anybody happens to notice you. Maybe you'll meet someone nice in jail LOL...

Just thought I'd outline some of my personal thoughts, opinions and experiences. Your results may vary.
Cindy O
 strummer52
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/29/2006 2:52:43 PM
The pay sites are definatly a rip-off, especially true, its got to be the worst. But match is the lesser of the evils, I actually met ladies, and dated and had fun there,and still do, pof is a great idea, and the only site I know of with the forums, but the fact is in nearly 4 months, ive met 1 person, in 4 months at match I met 2 or 3 ladies a month.For what ever reason match works for dating, a lot better than pof, I wish it was the other way around.
 The Minister of Dudeness
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:02:18 PM
If I did Option 4 I'd get a ticket for littering...
 Brian2MN
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:39:03 PM
The website True is the one I think I'd stay away from. I used match in the past and had pretty good experiences with it--I never met a person who was fake or totally unlike they claimed to be on her profile and had some good dates from it. With True though, I made a profile on there because I had to if I wanted to browse some profiles on there and just check things out. I really put no effort into my profile, just "I'm just checking this out" type of statements about who I am and so forth. I never put up any pictures or anything, but a couple times per week I'll get these emails that say that I have all these winks along with pictures of very attractive women apparently sending them and emails that say "you have 12 emails, subscribe now before they are deleted!!".

I just really, really don't believe that all these very attractive women are taking the time to write to me and wink at me when I said nothing about myself or what I'm looking for and no picture--unless they're just being paid to be on there to entice me!
 ladyc4
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:39:29 PM

If I did Option 4 I'd get a ticket for littering...

yeah well if I did option4 they'd be calling Sea World to come and get me...
Cindy O
 keystoneskiman
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:46:16 PM
Sock Puppeteer, I haven't seen a complaint about actually having to 'pay' a membership fee on other dating sites. Some have just made some valid points on the paying memebers sometimes getting scammed.

I paid for a membership on Match and sent out a lot of emails to profiles that interested me. I think I had only two replies. Shortly after my subscription ran out I recieved an email. Much to my surprise I had to PAY to even OPEN my email. I thought that those that didn't reply to me were just not interested which may well have been the case. However most of them were probably free subscribers who couldn't even read their emails.

When I tried Yahoo I checked to see if free subscribers could at least read their email before paying them anything. Turns out free subscribers can open their email and I actually got several replies from that site.

Has anyone heard of Hot or Not? I've tried that one also and got a couple of dates from that site. It's inexpensive and non paying members can even reply to someone who's contacted them.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/29/2006 4:00:29 PM
POF is great, but I have yet to have a single date with anyone off here, despite being a member for almost a year. lavalife is pretty good. Yes you have to pay if you want to e-mail someone, but it's not a pay by the month thing, it's a pay-per-email type thing. Also, once you e-mail someone they can reply for free and you can reply once again for free, so you just have to pay for the first e-mail. They also, on occasion, give out free credits as well. I've met quite a few guys off there, even my last serious boyfriend.
 wsrfr33
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/30/2006 3:20:48 PM
Yes, I used match.com for a couple of years; though not lately. I recall that what you say is true; you don't get to communicate DIRECTLY without being a member. That is why I included my e-mail address and phone number with any e-mail I sent or received while I was a member. With the exception of this site, few things in life are free..right? I am sure it is not cheap to keep this site up and running. There are very few really useful sites that offer a service that is free. People don't generally put the time and effort into a site for the fun of it. People who use this site as a benchmark need to do a reality check I think.

Ditto for eharmony.com, another paid site and probably catering more to the upper middle class, or at least the people who have money.
 piscean_m
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 4:09:29 PM
Beware of those....they are PHANTOM messages to get your paid subscription, and their are those who use pretty faces trying to obtain the same results...
 CurvyGyrl
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:41:44 PM
I've had it with online dating sites. I've been everywhere. If the issue isn't the cost, it's that there isn't anyone ON the site! I try to do a search before I sign up. If no one comes up in my area, no thanks. I dont' want your spam telling me I haven't been to your site in days/weeks/months. You ought to try asking yourself WHY.

I have never ever been enamoured with match.com. It has always seemed like a scam to me, and full of men who don't really want anything but a few responses to boost the ego. In fact there is a guy at work that signed up for match just to send mean emails to the girls who've responded. Some woman just paid 35.99 to read a message from him stating 'God you're fat'. Ya know? Not worth my money. I met one person at match, we never went on a date. He was a great friend for 2 yrs and then just disappeared.

Yahoo was not bad but my wallet still winces because I remember years back when yahoo was free. I signed off when some guy had joined, and paid the fee to be able to send email, only to try to scam me off of some money and when I wouldn't do it, cursed me out. For $24.99 (used to be 19, and it's about 36 for premium membership) it's not TOO bad but again, there are a lot of playboys on there.

eHarmony...don't even get me started. That site is the scam of ALL scams. You mean to tell me that when I sign up, your computer has not already configured the matrix of who I am and am not compatible with? You mean to tell me that your computer takes 24 hours to match me with 3 people who are nowhere near what I'm pretty sure I am looking for and not even in the same state or country? You mean to tell me that a computer takes several days to trickle in 6 or 7 lame matches, 4 of which aren't paid members so they can't communicate but you have no way of knowing that, and so you spend $49.99 (if you don't have a coupon code) to talk to a brick wall????? The entire time you're a member you may not get a match (first of all I don't like my men picked out for me. I'll pick them out myself, thank you!) but AS SOON AS YOUR MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES!! you'll get an email. "We'd like to introduce you to someone'. And no that member did not JUST sign up. They've been a member all along. Did he just SUDDENLY become compatible??? No. You dredged him up from nowhere to get me to spend another $49. Another guy that I saw on another forum said he was getting matches from eH but oddly... all the names ended with 'a', ie Julia, Sara, Rebecca, Victoria, Angela... odd. Me thinks there was a computer glitch. Another friend said eHarmony kept matching him with the same kinds of women, the kinds he was NOT interested in! And dn't fall for those commercials. Fake fake FAKE! Those are actors, not subscribers!!

*whew*
Matchdoctor should just be called 'dudes in Africa looking for green cards'. Matchmaker literally had NO ONE. The only man I ever met at matchmaker was still married. OK CUPID is free, and kinda cool but too geeky and trendy for me. If you're into ubercool geeks and such it might be a good site for you. I'm a 32 yr old black woman who has the mind of a 67 yr old. I just can't get into it.

I came to P.O.F. about 2 yrs ago. Met nothing but idiots and deleted my profile. A year later a friend mentioned it again so I thought I'd try again. I placed a very short ad, got some more ridiculous responses. I logged in to delete my profile and I got a message. Checked his profile, he seemed sane and looked like he had all his teeth so I responded. We ended up talking for about 4 hours tht day. And then 4 hours off site. And then the next night. And the next. and the next 3 days we were either on the phone or on email and then we HAD to meet.

It was a blissful 5 months but alas, life just got to busy and I was ready to move on to something long term and perm and he was still trying to figure out his life. He decided he was selfish and liked ot be alone. I decided I needed more than I was getting. Damn. I fell in love with him.

I'm still hoping I meet someone great here. If not... well I guess that's how the apple falls. But I know if I meet him here it won't cost me 179.99 to read a friggen WINK or NOD or SMILE or NUDGE. And besides POF has forums!

Sorry so long. I guess I had a lot to say.
 stillbulletproof
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:58:53 PM
i sure have to agree with pinebreeze. its a paysite. pay and you can do whatever you are entitled to pay for. If you are on as a non paying member, and certain rights are denied you, well, hey, you got your moneys worth. Seems like we may have gotten a little spoiled from being on p.o.f. Sounds like you are looking for something for nothing and except for a few exceptions, you are most unlikely to find that on the net. (p.s., you really really can't make 25,000 a week from home for ten minutes work either)
 Unique38
Msg: 96
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:10:01 PM
Match.com is a rip off, I get emails from them saying somebody has emailed me, but for me to view that email and there picture I have to join No Way) this site that we place ourselves on is the best site......................

RSVP now there's a story, my pictures that i use here are current and up to date, however RSVP told me that because my shoulders show in my picture that is a no no? But females can show clevage go figure?

Just be so careful of RSVP I have female friends that use that site, from time to time some hot guy will send them a kiss, of course the female buys a stamp/stamps emails that person and they dont get a reply, the same goes for males to all of a sudden there will be some hit female that sends a smile, so of course guys will buy stamps and the same thing no answer

While people are only sending kisses RSVP isn't making a dollar, but while emails are being sent out they know people will buy more and sadly this is how they base thier bullshit ways on, it's pretty sad that a site/sites like match and rsvp do this.

Well hope this helps!
 CurvyGyrl
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:11:05 PM

i sure have to agree with pinebreeze. its a paysite. pay and you can do whatever you are entitled to pay for. If you are on as a non paying member, and certain rights are denied you, well, hey, you got your moneys worth. Seems like we may have gotten a little spoiled from being on p.o.f. Sounds like you are looking for something for nothing and except for a few exceptions, you are most unlikely to find that on the net. (p.s., you really really can't make 25,000 a week from home for ten minutes work either)

You're right... and that is a great marketing tactic. But DON'T send me FAKE emails to get me to pay, only to log in and it's a system message or a fake member. DON'T hold back people and wait until I am not a paying member to dangle the carrot in front of me. If I am PAYING, I want the full gammut of everything owed me. That means I should be able to send a message to anyone I want and not have it changed. That means I should be able to load up a pic and not have it cropped and stretched so I look fatter. I've deleted so many pics off of match because after it's 'edited' I look horrible!
 tazz44
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/31/2006 12:58:41 AM
Its a money makin thing! I think. Ya sighn up give them what ever dollars and you
will find the woman of you dreams BS!! But on the other hand who knows?
Spend the bucks
 tinkerbell31519
Msg: 99
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/31/2006 3:23:24 AM
I have emails at cupid.com that I can not get because I am not a paid member. They let you get them for free for a while then one day without warning you can't.

Happy New Year TO All
 Americanlove
Msg: 100
Match.com and others
Posted: 12/31/2006 4:32:28 AM
Phone chat lines are Free to women usually BUT...they make the man pay
Sorta like prostitution if you look at the whole picture...
Try one of them and see....Like shopping for men in a candy store! you hear there profiles from their own mouth that they record and you record yours and then you hit let's say #1 to respond. They respond back and then it is up to you to give out # or email addy or whatever. I actually enjoyed the phone chat.
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Match.com are irresponsible