Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Divorced men with ex-wives as their best friends      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 plainjanedoe
Msg: 76
Divorced men with ex-wives as their best friendsPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Thank you so much for this thread. My guy I had, ( yes had), seemed to think nothing was wrong with being friends with his ex. (They don't even have children together, because that would be a whole different situation.)
It's funny how she didn't get in the picture until we started talking. Then she seemed to be constant throughout the relationship. Who was the first person he would call when problems would arise in our relationship? Her. The only response he could come up with were 2. I don't have a lot of friends, and you have male friends. My point always is but I wasn't married to my male friends or had sex with them. Just didn't seem to matter in his book. So where are we at now? He is seeing her to see if he wants to pursue a relationship with her, because she can apparantly give him some direction in his life. According to him, she already gave him direction once, that's why she is an ex. Go figure. I guess if he can't find his own direction by now, maybe it's not worth all of it afterall.
 sexxyusername
Msg: 77
Divorced men with ex-wives as their best friends
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:52:23 PM
ok, either they're still screwing each other, or the exhusband still wants to screw the ex wife or vice versa. Simple as that.
 southernlady1840
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:32:50 PM
kinda hard to lump ass that into one group... depends on the situation... if they have children thats a given ... if they just friends and keep it on a level playing ground then thats all cool... if she is using him for any and everything then ya may want to speak up....

in this situation you need to talk to him and tell him how you feel and if that does not stop it then give him his wallking papers he cant force you to be a part of that if you dont allow it...
 cfb62
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:23:08 AM
Obviously you can't generalize this subject and with kids involved it's fantastic if there's a decent relationship.
That being said, my experience with this was the ex was determined to get him back. Played the whole innocent game, but was constantly playing mind games.
I'm sure she still is today.
I have no desire to rehash the whole situation, but to all the exes out there who swear you now just have a great non-sexual relationship... if you really care about your ex and kids, BACK OFF when a new person enters the picture.
You're going to get territorial. It's human nature. But you've got to keep your opinions to yourselves.
That's how you treat people you genuinely care about, you let them live their own lives.
 treselle
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:27:26 PM
tallshag, only1DayWalker, cfb62, well put!
 Rocein
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:35:33 AM
If they have children I can understand her need to still be very good friends with his ex, although unless it is because of the children I think calling in the middle of the night is a bit much and unless he has children he shouldn;t take the call if he does and its not about the children he should let her know he's busy because otherwise he is not being fair or giving the relationship a chance, he will probably end up alone unless he goes back to her. As a woman ifshe really cares about him and they are not together she should want him to be happy with someone else if they are friends.

I am friends with quite a few of my ex'es I neither call them in the middle of the night or would want anything but the best for them and for them to be in a happy loving relationship that is care and friendship.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:43:14 AM
Just like any other friendship-as long as thier friendship does not control or change my life in a negative manner, have at it!

If I felt boundaries were being crossed by any friend of my SO, I would say something. If my speaking up doesnt net any satisfactory results, then I guess I have some choices to make, dont I?

I would prefer to deal with a man who keeps things friendly with thier ex, especially when children are involved..but like anything in life, there must be respect and boundaries.
 bobster99
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 6:15:07 PM
I am sorry, I can't believe they can be best friends. In the words of Harry from Harry met Sally, men and women just can't be friends, the sex gets in the way.

My ex wife (god , I hate even saying that) were best friends when we were married until she did something bad. Now, she tells people we are still friends and I have to correct her.

Friend don't betray each other so really, we are just old friend. Old friends who drifted apart but still smile and say hi at the grocery store. I still do nice things for her, partially because we've known each other for almost 20 years and (only because I know she will never see this) I will admit that if we could rekindle the magic I would take her back without a second thought.

Anyone who calls themselves Best Friends after a divorce, Either one or both of them are in denial. Either they can't move on or one has and is just using the other.

Sorry for the reality check.

I am working on distancing myself from my ex and as long as she doesn't call me having a meltdown I will be fine and move on.
 treselle
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 6:52:22 AM
bobster, you are the voice of reason. Not only you are wise, you are so funny (judging from your profile). I wish you to find your other half soon.
 WONDERMAN37
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:53:15 PM
I think in a case where they had kids it is great for the kids that mom and dad still are friends, but that's just me. I myself was divorced with no kids and it was very easy for her to hop her broom and fly off into the sunset.
 BlueLikeJazz777
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/27/2009 3:26:18 PM
Bobster-

Why not just ignore her meltdown and move on?
 Candy731
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/6/2009 12:12:54 PM
I have been dating a guy for the last 7 months that I met on here, he too is best friends with his ex. For the most part it is for the kids. I have no problem with this for the most part, until she calls every night and keeps wanting him to fix things all the time in her house. Just lately she has asked him to go on vaccation with her and the kids, she will pay for the whole trip. She is a great woman and we get along great but I think she is still hung up on her ex. The way I look at it is if he wanted to be with her and not me he would be. But he has choosen me over her so I will deal with her as part of our life.
 Chitownguy40
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/7/2009 7:22:27 PM
My mother and father got divorced when I was six, and are best friends. Know what? I thank God for it. My father was never absent from my life, he never failed to pay child support, he has always been there when we needed him. People get divorced in all kinds of circumstances. Adults learn to co-exist. Those who don't are overgrown children.
 bigeazzie
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 4:25:29 PM
I can not stand my ex.I am not freinds with people that I do not trust, and I do not trust her .I make no attempt to talk to her at all.She does not deserve to have a man of my calibur in her life.She gave up that right when she cheated.
 cazparkin
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/10/2009 7:40:29 AM
me and my ex r good friends he still c the kids at my house 3 years lather he got a gf she said she fine with it we r friend because we got kids together
 barbee1970
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:50:03 AM
What is wrong with being a civilized adult, setting an example for children?

I would not say I was his "best friend" but out of all of the women, he said I was the best--simply cause I let bygones be bygones, I never had my hand out like a toll booth (not materialistic). I think all in all it helped my son be at ease alot. He's what mattered most to both of us. I could not handle the man's alcohol problem despite helping him with his rehab.
 GreatExpectations31
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/10/2009 9:31:56 AM
Ladies!! Seriously?

Have we who have been married forgotten why we got married in the first place? Have some respect. I'm not putting down anyone's beliefs, but I personally went on a double date with my ex husband last night and I had the time of my life. (and no we didn't watch dirty dancing).

I wish him nothing but the best and if someone else makes him happier than I can, more power to him! Isn't the name of this site "plenty of fish"? Seriously, there are so many people out there, staring up at the sky wondering where their life went wrong and just waiting for someone to come HELP ease the pain.

No one can take all of your life pain away no matter what it is. Not even the person who inflicted it. That's why I think forgiveness is TRULY a magical thing. It takes away jealousy, and replaces it with confidence. It takes away resentment and replaces it with sympathy. I'm so happy that my personal tragedies have always forced me to take a good long hard look in the mirror and WORK on growing and moving forward.

Nothing worth having in life comes easy. Just had to be said.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2009 11:43:22 AM
"Divorced men with ex-wives as their best friends"
-----------
Well, since men and women can't be friend that's the only exception where both have once been fu-cking like rabbits and it came to an end. However, in some instances (many perhaps) neither one can find a new bf/gf and resumes the fu-cking again, until someone else comes by and has to put up with that garbage.
 cmans76
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/10/2009 2:38:08 PM
I am friends with my ex and it seems to work good for us. It is the best thing for our little girl. Its not like we go out together or even want to hook up ever again. Its just we know we can depend on each other when something happens and we need to help each other for our child's sake. We were friends long before we dated or got married. We just weren't meant to be married.. Hating someone is harder on you than it is on them. I don't see a problem with being friends with ex's as long as niether of you still wants to get back together. Especially when kids are involved.... Of course if I didn't have a child with her I would not have a reason to be friends with her and most likely wouldn't ever talk to her...
 fit2date
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:11:01 AM
My ex-wife is my best friend, but we live 1400 miles apart. The children are our main concern. We get along better as friend than we do as a couple. My ex-girlfriends same thing except no kids involved. I just have no time for jealous behavior.
 GreatExpectations31
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/11/2009 9:17:35 AM
I guess it just comes down to my original belief: "marriage" is for the birds. lol
 TheReason_
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2009 4:22:20 PM
She got the ring, and I got the finger.

LOL

We don't keep in contact, there is no reason. If I want to talk to our boys (well they are my ex-stepsons but we still have a relationship) then I call them directly, or get ahold of them via facebook or msn. So yeah there's no reason to be friends. I wish the best for her, we both deserve to be happy.
 GreatExpectations31
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:26:41 AM

She got the ring, and I got the finger.

barbee1970
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 10:28:32 AM
I was in the same boeat as goober dippin pants. Most men could not handle the fact that I got along with my ex when he was alive. I did it for my son and today he is a thriving Senior, even made Honor Roll few times.

There was no "benefits" as I made sure of that. I am surprisingly considered part of the family after all of these years and he made me next of kin . I don't want any money, I want my son to have it.
 SWEET BLACKNESSSS
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:55:42 PM
I dont' have any ex-husbands, but I stay friends with all my ex's. After all, we were friends before we were lovers. It just didn't work out as a couple for whatever reason. My ex's didn't want to be my friend at first, but afterwards they came to the conclusion that they still wanted me in their lives even if we weren't lovers any more. I would like to think that we are all adults and should be able to be friends, unless there was abuse involved. That's another story. With me, males are better companions than females. We talk about our new relationships and everything.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Divorced men with ex-wives as their best friends