Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > u can't have a platonic friendship with opposite sex      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 playfulpete
Msg: 651
u can't have a platonic friendship with opposite sexPage 27 of 50    (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50)
I have to female freinds,as a matter of fact we are best of freinds.We have known each other since high school.We have never spooned nor have we cuddled either.They have boyfreinds and i have had girlfreinds and us being freinds was never an issue
 misterbrown1
Msg: 652
view profile
History
u can't have a platonic friendship with opposite sex
Posted: 10/29/2011 11:05:14 PM
few people can actually have platonic relationships, personally, I have 3 female friends, that come over, just for the conversation and cuddles, its all been discussed previously, and none of us expects more, albeit, there is an attraction to them, but its not worth losing what is a great friendship, with one of them, there is a physical and emotional attraction, we've both discussed it, but we both know that a real relationship probably wont work, so we keep it at the platonic level, and it works great, but some people really have problems mixing emotions with touch
 nubianking83
Msg: 653
Posted: 10/30/2011 2:32:30 AM
You can have platonic relation with the opposite sex but its not an easy one because of the limitations you have to place on that relation for it to not turn into what it shouldnt be.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 654
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:20:58 PM
smoochiegal- Sure you can. I grew up with all boys. We are grown now, but I am still friends with many of them. We have a great time talking about the old days of baseball in the field, hide and seek, tag, etc. Simpler days I treasure. We also talk about our friends, family, our lives today. Friendships that long are priceless. Why would you walk away from that just because you are the opposite sex?!
 ro1970
Msg: 655
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:25:53 PM
Sure you can have a platonic friendship with a member of the opposite gender.....as long as you set the boundaries and stick to them......no problem.

and yes, I have many of whom I grew up with and there was no dating involved - we are all still friends from the old neighborhood and we still get together to catch up every now and then.
 musical_turtle
Msg: 656
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:47:41 PM
I think it's possible to have a genuine friendship with someone of the opposite sex.
I have plenty of friends that are guys, and we've gotten along great for years.
 Yolita11
Msg: 657
Posted: 10/30/2011 5:30:49 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but skimming through these posts I see this basic pattern being described over and over: "I have had plenty of opposite-sex friends that I have no romantic desire for, though sure, occasionally there have been sparks and sometimes a sexual connection and sometimes a man (or woman) does have some romantic interest, but..."

In a poll referenced in Psychology Today, 62% of opposite-sex friends report sexual tension. A Match.com poll revealed that 62% of platonic friendships (no comment on plutonic ones) crossed over the line into a sexual relationship. In that same poll, 94% of the respondents reported that they believed it was possible for a friendship to evolve into a romantic relationship.

"In a study published in the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Sapadin asked more than 150 professional men and women what they liked and disliked about their cross-sex friendships. Topping women’s list of dislikes: sexual tension. ***Men, on the other hand, more frequently replied that sexual attraction was a prime reason for initiating a friendship***, and that it could even deepen a friendship." (Asterisks are mine.)

Great post VirtuallyLove.

I get on really well with men and I've always had equal number of male and female friends. Most of my female friends don't have as many male friends and they say it's because the guy has always ended up fancying them. It does inevitably happen at some stage of a relationship, but if you really value the opposite sex for what they can bring to your life; then you learn how to go beyond that phase.

There may be residual sexual tension there but I've come to the conclusion that sexual tension is just a primal thing between humans. We have it with strangers, acquaintances, and close ones. At a very basic level we're still animals. We can largely override those natural instincts, but not completely. It doesn't mean we want or need to act on it.

Out of all the male friends / acquaintances I have, I only have one who is just like a brother to me, so I know that it's possible, but as I said above, I think to achieve this you need to value the person above your own ego. A lot of people subconsciously try to get their opposite sex friends to fancy them in order to make themselves feel attractive.
 blueceleste
Msg: 658
view profile
History
u can't have a plutonic friendship with opposite sex
Posted: 10/30/2011 8:20:08 PM
i tried to be friends with men and it never worked. one guy who i was friends with b4 we dated is my bf now. id rather be friends with gay men better than str8 men. the past guys i met didnt consider me a friend just a **** buddy or a backup buddy yet i was suppose to drop everything for them which wasnt fair and told them not happening got rid of them. one guy i was friends with (knew him from hs) back in 04, it didnt last as i found out more about him after hs he was too much of a jackass, clingy needy, loser, sorry, etc. i talk to him once in a full blue moon yet he wants me back to date him lmao not happening. hes a loser he cant understand why he cant keep a gf i told him why he talks to them like they are dumb he did that to me he got cursed out we never dated wanted too but he has major trust issues
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 659
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 8:00:58 AM

If it were impossible to have opposite-sex friendships, I'd have had only three friends for the last 10 years. PFT! I have many male friends. There's no sexual tension with any of them either. Three have wives, one has a long term GF and one lives in Canada, so clearly none of us think about getting naked when we have our marathon telephone calls or our get togethers or some type of socialization. This is about as silly as saying that a straight woman can't be friends with a lesbian woman. Makes no difference gender, sexual orientation, if they have blue eyes or brown. People are just people. We like who we like, we trust who we trust, we befriend those we find worth befriending. Pretty simple. JMO
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 660
Posted: 10/31/2011 10:01:49 AM
VERYGREENEYEZ:

it were impossible to have opposite-sex friendships, I'd have had only three friends for the last 10 years. PFT! I have many male friends. There's no sexual tension with any of them either. Three have wives, one has a long term GF and one lives in Canada, so clearly none of us think about getting naked when we have our marathon telephone calls or our get togethers or some type of socialization. This is about as silly as saying that a straight woman can't be friends with a lesbian woman. Makes no difference gender, sexual orientation, if they have blue eyes or brown. People are just people. We like who we like, we trust who we trust, we befriend those we find worth befriending. Pretty simple. JMO

Well, this brings up a question which probably has been discussed here (haven't read all the posts): How do you define friendship?

There are many, many different levels of friendship - from regular get-togethers where the discussion is fairly intimate to an occasional email or brief phone conversation. There is also some considerable difference between having an opposite-sex friend who's married, and socializing with them while with their (and/or your) spouses or significant others, and having a single opposite-sex friend you regularly see movies and enjoy dinner with, etc. There is a large difference between a casual relationship with an opposite-sex friend and a "best friend" relationship.

I think intimate opposite-friend relationships involving regular socializing (attending rock concerts, movies, etc., together, taking trips together, long walks on the beach at sunset ) will prove vastly more problematic for those desiring a romantic relationship than more casual opposite-sex relationships.
 RockyDakota
Msg: 661
Posted: 10/31/2011 6:06:24 PM

I think it's possible to have a genuine friendship with someone of the opposite sex.
I have plenty of friends that are guys, and we've gotten along great for years.

Those guys are friends with you because they are all waiting on their chance to either make a move or sleep with you.
 RockyDakota
Msg: 662
Posted: 10/31/2011 6:29:19 PM

I have female friends. Either A. They're not attractive enough for me to have sex with or B. I'm not attractive enough to them for me to have sex with. i.e. I agree

Chances are these guys are in the friend zone and have not gotten the clue that they're there.
Sadly she probably isn't attracted to any one of them...There for why she has so many guy friends.
 RockyDakota
Msg: 663
Posted: 10/31/2011 6:41:08 PM

In the first case if you're really good friends for a really long time and one person is attracted to the other, physically, something is going to happen.

Takes 2 to tango. In the friend situation one is attracted to the other, but the other is not.
 Amboyace
Msg: 664
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 10:03:45 PM

I have female friends. Either A. They're not attractive enough for me to have sex with or B. I'm not attractive enough to them for me to have sex with. i.e. I agree.

+1
IMHO, for it to work, as a guy....the woman better bring a lot to the table for me to invest the time a real friendship takes. Otherwise, what's the point?
 _moonshadow_
Msg: 665
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2011 8:48:56 PM
Guys and girls can be friends. Friends are people you love and connect with, just not romantically. It's a very simple concept really.

I meet one of my best girl friends because a guy friend of mine started dating her. It would have been terrible if she would have had the attitude that guys and girls could not be just friends. Instead of loosing a friend, I gained another one. It was great for everybody. :)

On the other hand, I had the reverse happen. I lost a friend because his gf had the attitude of the opposite sexes not being able to be friends. To the point that she did not want her girl friends being around him much less any girls he knew before her. It wasn't so great for everybody here.
 lotustemple
Msg: 666
Posted: 11/2/2011 1:13:33 PM
I don't know I'm able to be friends with a girl and not try and have sex with her. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have sex with her. It just means that I'm mature enough to handle a platonic relationship. I'm inclined to believe that it's moderately impossible because at some point one or the other is going to get too attached. Either you're really good friends and you stay good friends cause you really like each other. Or you're not good friends and you don't. In the first case if you're really good friends for a really long time and one person is attracted to the other, physically, something is going to happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds aren't in anyone's favor.

Pdizzle's got it. Maturity is the ability to see the whole picture.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 667
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 2:09:35 PM
I have female friends and I have male friends. I don't "cuddle" with either of them.
But, they're still my friends. I make a distinction between acquaintances and friends.

I know, like, sometimes not like, acquaintances. My friends, are true..true friends.

I talk differently around the sexes..(I would hope most men do) but they are just as much of a friend as the next.

I would do what I could for them, and they would do the same for me.
 monty36
Msg: 668
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 2:48:59 PM
Activities

If your makeup isn't done your hair is a mess and your in your pjs and he still cant resist taking you into his arms, he's a keeper, i maybe a twat when im drunk but your a twat when your sober (:., if you can't stay faithful, dont be in a relationship. Every relationship has its problems. But what makes it perfect is if you still wanna be together, when things really suck ♥, Too often we don't realize what we have until it's gone. Too often we're too stubborn to say, 'Sorry, I was wrong.' Too often it seems we hurt the ones closest to our hearts, and we let the most foolish things tear us apart, Life is too short to stress yourself with people who don't even deserve to be an issue in your life :), Don't take a good woman for granted. Someday someone will come along and appreciate what you didn't. ♥, Smiling at the **** who hates you, just because it makes her hate you even more :P
 monty36
Msg: 669
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 2:53:03 PM
Activities

If your makeup isn't done your hair is a mess and your in your pjs and he still cant resist taking you into his arms, he's a keeper, i maybe a twat when im drunk but your a twat when your sober (:., if you can't stay faithful, dont be in a relationship. Every relationship has its problems. But what makes it perfect is if you still wanna be together, when things really suck ♥, Too often we don't realize what we have until it's gone. Too often we're too stubborn to say, 'Sorry, I was wrong.' Too often it seems we hurt the ones closest to our hearts, and we let the most foolish things tear us apart, Life is too short to stress yourself with people who don't even deserve to be an issue in your life :), Don't take a good woman for granted. Someday someone will come along and appreciate what you didn't. ♥, Smiling at the **** who hates you, just because it makes her hate you even more :P
 quarked
Msg: 670
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 6:16:30 PM
Men and women can certainly be friends. But only if neither party has unrequited romantic feelings for the other.
 FYVEOH8
Msg: 671
Posted: 11/14/2011 12:46:46 PM
Obviously those who've never been there , find it either difficult or impossible . Those who's been there knows otherwise .
 Arteest1650
Msg: 672
Posted: 11/14/2011 2:08:32 PM
Sure you can... if you're intelligent enough to rise above the thought of sex ... anything is possible.. if you cant look at the opposite sex without constantly thinking of ****ing them you have some personal work to do..
 lotustemple
Msg: 673
Posted: 11/14/2011 3:38:24 PM
^^^^yeah but Arteest1650, there's alot of territory inbetween your two extremes.

Sure you can have platonic friends....but is it wise? Does it compromise your current romantic situations, can you really be friends or is it a guarded liason(on guard to smash any sexual thoughts that might arise) etc....

My experience is even with the most noble of intentions and lots of naivety, every male friend of mine has eventually wanted to evolve into romance with me. One waited 20 year before he had his epiphany. I felt so betrayed, thought i could be with him like brother and sister.

No more platonic nonsense for me.

Can you drive on the wrong side of the street? Sure, a least for a while. Shoots you can just pull over repeatedly when necessary.
 artntango56
Msg: 674
Posted: 11/14/2011 4:32:19 PM
I agree. And I believe that having had female "friends" it is only possible when clear boundaries are understood. And in spite of that, there are times when those boundaries have become and can become blurred.
 MikeWM
Msg: 675
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2011 4:36:08 PM
Somebody of the opposite sex that you dont fancy or find physically repugnant BUT who you get on with really well cant be anything BUT a platonic friend

This kind of nonsensical claim that its "impossible" tends to only be spouted by insecure people who think no matter how butt ugly a member of the opposite sex is you'd nail them in a heatbeat anyway

So its their trust issues that are the problem, not people having opposite sex friends
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > u can't have a platonic friendship with opposite sex