Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > original sin      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rose44
Msg: 26
view profile
History
original sinPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
To laurel...I do a bible study that teaches the bible book by book....verse by verse. We are all allowed to come to our own conclusions about what is meant by what is written. Some suggestions are put out in this study but always followed by.......read the bible and ask God for guidence for the truth. Thats what I do. I have heard and seen some crazy stuff in my search for God. I am very leary about what man has to say so I follow up and read the good book and ask God. There are some scary ignorant people out there who claim to know it all......no one knows it all. I think I am on the right path...and when someone speaks a flat out lie about God, I walk away.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 27
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 6:24:23 PM
LF,
It's been along time so I'm not sure where I got the "meeting places" stuff from in the bible. But then there are other things too, that indicate there were other people around when Adam and Eve were in the garden.
I'll be interested to read the 1st earth stuff.
 laurelee
Msg: 28
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:04 PM
Ya you with the garden stuff first, eh.
 Bewitched_
Msg: 29
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:42 PM
Rose, your post on the ages is very interesting. I would love to learn more. Is this info on Esau and the 1st age available for research on the net?
Thankyou.
 laurelee
Msg: 30
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:23:34 PM
umm.. I`m not sure.. I don`t know much about it and can`t even think of what little I do know. Maybe I`ll be able to tell you something tomorrow, when I`m not so beat.
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 31
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:44:48 PM
There are a few theories on the other people. One comes up with the Lillith character who was supposedly Adam's first wife, created as his equal. She refused to play second fiddle to him so to speak and was banished from the garden. From her were born the first children of man.

Then god created Eve from Adam's ribbone so that she would be subservient to him. We see how that turned out.

This as far as I know is not based on the bible, but is a belief I have seen in a few places.

Another theory is that most of what is in the old testament is a collection of parables. Sometimes these parables have plot holes. It is not important to focus on the plot holes but the morals instead.

I know there are other theories more based upon a literallistic view of the bible but I cannot recall them at the moment.

As for original sin... I was always taught that it was Adam and Eve eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge against orders. I would say this is the understanding that most have of the event, though I am interested in other interpretations.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 32
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:03:08 PM
Augustine was so wacked, he had 3 theories at least on the subject-including reincarnation, pre-destination ( only those destined to be christians became christians), so there is no point in trying if you are not destined for it.
Sex was a sin because when indulged in body experience, he said the concentration on god became impossible. So in the absence of god, there is sin. I guess nobody pointed out that god did not necessarily leave the room when the bedroom action starts.
Also he had the theory that something like a virus was passed on, the sin was a substance or material.

This from the guy who left his wife and son for an arranged church marriage and a better job.
And Augustine is revered as a thinker in the church.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 33
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:13:46 PM
Info, most does appear to be aesop's fables gone sephardic.
Everything is mentioned twice, when it is important, and there are clues as to symbolic content.
Goats appearing = illicit sex coming. Tents and views from above, or the reverse = taking another's wife. that kind of stuff is everywhere.

Jacob took another's rights. Then he got the wrong wife. The first born girl was to be married first, not the younger. So he got his punishment, because he was the younger and took the elder one's rights. The uncle let him know such things were not done 'round there.

Morality tales with a bit of a fun twist.

Bewitched_
Msg: 34
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:21:06 PM

As for original sin... I was always taught that it was Adam and Eve eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge against orders. I would say this is the understanding that most have of the event,

Yep, that's what I was told too, and most times it was an apple that they shared.
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 35
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:32:04 PM
Well the apple is used because it is kind of like the default fruit.

I was also always taught that it was not actually an apple and that apples were not sinful, but they just used an apple to represent the fruit as it is not a worldly fruit.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 36
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:48:13 PM
kinda tough to render into pictoral form, this fruit, eh?
 Bewitched_
Msg: 37
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:48:45 PM
I was told it was an apple because the apple is shaped like the heart, and they were eating the heart of knowlege, the "heart" of the matters of God.

From the dresscode instructed by God in the OT...he seemed to have a thing for pomogranates.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 38
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:34 PM
I would toss out anything said on religion by whoever told ya that.
 Bewitched_
Msg: 39
original sin
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:11 PM
which part, the apple or the pommogranites?

Lol, if you mean the apple...then ya, I'd have to toss out the whole bible...but the religion I grew up in was very cultish anyhow...(pentecostal)

The pommogranites can be read about..I've seen the verses.
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 40
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:29 AM
I meant the "apple people's" teachings.

Pomegranites do make great stains though. Them and those molluscs that make purple.
 laurelee
Msg: 41
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:12:51 AM
Hey Rio This phone calls for you...
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 42
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:51:49 AM
Still laughing at Hell Gibson . that was too funny. but oh well, gimme the phone.
 laurelee
Msg: 43
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:04:05 AM
Hello... well. gotta go... great day all....you as well.. hell..
 rose44
Msg: 44
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:21:46 AM
The other people? Adam and Eve were not the 1st people on earth. God created man and woman of all races on the 6th day. Adam and Eve were created on the 8th day and would be the bloodline for Jesus Christ.

I just can't get that picture of the shorts and black socks out of my mind....put a plaid shirt on and sandals and you have my dad....
 FitBrit
Msg: 45
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:33:15 AM

The other people? Adam and Eve were not the 1st people on earth. God created man and woman of all races on the 6th day. Adam and Eve were created on the 8th day and would be the bloodline for Jesus Christ.

Think you could sneak that in here and get away with it? If that is personal opinion I would recommend you say so because it sure has no evidence of fact from what I have studied.
Can you clarify this for us rather than leave some poor gullible person misled.
 laurelee
Msg: 46
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:37:48 AM
Hi Rose. Thanks for the comment yesterday
I`ve heard that before, It would account for Cain`s wife. lol

Genisis account I think the first account of the race depicted Adam and Eve and the second depiction was going over the same accounts, To me the reaccount theory fits in better with Rev. I think that Rev 1=3 is like the first account of the church . Rev 4-13 or somewhere there is the reaccount of the events.

I was trying to think what I remembered about the 1st age. Biblical= it was Satan`s rule on earth..he messed up...his world was flooded out
Unbiblical= that was where Atlantis was. Anything close

who made you ediqet police.. Sorry Rose.. not you..
Remember your. my opinions... and i thinks...lol

Talk about intolerent all of you .. Some times I think it`s a power trip to say who can talk and who can`t ... stick it all of you...I`m gone
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 47
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:58:39 AM

Talk about intolerent all of you .. Some times I think it`s a power trip to say who can talk and who can`t ... stick it all of you...I`m gone

oooookaaaaay.....

I think you are jumping off the deep end with this one dear.

Its not about repressing opinions, it is about clarifying what is an opinion, what is a fact, and what is based upon commonly accepted scriptures. FB's goal was simply to clarify whether this was Rose's own personal soul searching, or if it was based on biblical scripture. This is an understandable and even important goal in order to maintian a multiview discussion of the topics.

Noone said anyone could not talk.

Remember your. my opinions... and i thinks...lol

Honestly, this is kind of important to avoid some people feeling like they are being told they are wrong just for thinking or believing differently.
 laurelee
Msg: 48
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:02:37 PM
Think you could sneak that in here and get away with it?
********************************************************************** I didn1t even notice anything.. Who`s sensitive.. She`s stated twice to me she didn`t want to talk for that reason ... picky poeple bug me. he`s Mr Perfect?
 rose44
Msg: 49
view profile
History
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:03:21 PM
Hey no reason to be so snarky. I wasn't trying to sneak in anything. Read Genesis 1.26 -27. It says that God created man and woman on the 6th day. I apologize if I have offended you but thats what the good book says.....if you can't handle it thats your problem. I believed that Adam and Eve were the 1st people created by God for 30 + years. It's just not true. No reason to get so nasty because someone doesn't agree with you.....take a pill
 nergal
Msg: 50
original sin
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:35 PM
I wish I could think of an original sin .. it sure would brighten up my day ..
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > original sin