Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stephanie888
Msg: 51
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
"HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?"

Forever. He should've asked for your number and call you. I've had guys give me their number and ask me to call them, and even if I had been previously interested, I just toss the number. If he was really interested in me he would've asked for my number. Plus it seems not very manly and kind of feminine on his part.
 ewacat38
Msg: 52
HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:07:40 AM
When it's the other way around I wait until the next day. I think 3 days is a bit much but immediately (within a couple hours) is a bit too eager for most women. So I would expect the same.
 isaacKitty
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:36:20 AM

"HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?"

Forever. He should've asked for your number and call you. I've had guys give me their number and ask me to call them, and even if I had been previously interested, I just toss the number. If he was really interested in me he would've asked for my number. Plus it seems not very manly and kind of feminine on his part.

I totally agree.
I have not met one couple where the woman did the pursuing and have had it work out in the long term.
I have been in the situation before.

You're talking to a guy for a while the conversation is going good you think he's gonna ask you out. He says he's gotta get back to his table/friends whatever you know it's coming he grabs a pen from his pocket/table open's his mouth and says "here's my number". Your heart sinks to the floor and you also can't help but feel a little puturbed (as him giving you his number is just a hidden form of rejection).

I usually toss the number as looking at it stings my eyes !

If this has actaully worked for anyone and your relationship is strong please prove me wrong !
 Faithful Sailor
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:46:25 AM
Hey Annenigma,

There is obviously a lot of different opinions and "rules" ettiquettes, expectations and what not.
However we adults can make things more complicated then is necessary. Otherwise with all these contradictions here and there nothing happens.

not all guys do not like women making the first move and not all women wait for men to make the first move.

We live in the year 2009.
Call whenever you think is right and you are comfortable with it. If you are interested -show it. The guy hopefully will not be judgemental because you simply decided to call soon.
If there is something you want to know about a particular person. Ask the source. That person.

It's ultimately between you and him.
 Dennis0515
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:55:10 AM
If I give a women my number, I would want her to call sooner rather then later. The 3 day rule has always been a bit silly to me. If a women gave me her number I would assume she gave it to me for a reason... she wants me to call her. The same can be said if I gave a women my number, if she doesn't call then I will assume she is not interested, and I would move on.

I'm not going to sit around waiting 3 days or more for her to decide to call me. I'm not interested in playing games.
 desert wildflower
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/13/2009 6:55:49 PM
I never call a man that gives me his number, regardless of how I feel. I also don`t give out my number until I know someone quite well and know they aren`t dangerous. So these personal rules for safety have made it difficult to connect. I will give a man sometimes my e-mail, if I really like him, but never my number. So for me, if the guy hands a card, it goes right into file 13 automatically.
 Treasureforever
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/3/2009 4:25:04 AM
I think the question may be would you seem desperate if you called back too soon like the same evening?

Well would you?
 Vannili
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:00:58 AM
When a guy gave me his phone #I asked the convenient time I should call him..
and I call him as soon as I can.

It is not desperation to call the guy ,the same evening to thank him of the nicetime /dinner with him.
and now adays it is safer that the man give a woman his phone # than the woman gave her phone#. for so many reasons.
 MiketheZombie
Msg: 59
when to call
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:06:03 AM
Dating rules like standardize dating...which is why the dating scene sucks.

Call when YOU feel is right. Be yourself.
 WinstonDoubtfire
Msg: 60
view profile
History
when to call
Posted: 12/3/2009 6:41:56 AM
Whenever you feel comfortable realizing that when you do call/text them, they will have your number as well.

(unless you use a payphone, or call from a restricted number...which means you need to address your own security)

Naturally, I'm assuming this is after you've been talking to them via email for a bit...if it's after a face-to-face meet up and you had a good time, a little appreciative ring-ring goes a long way.
 DanZX9
Msg: 61
when to call
Posted: 12/3/2009 1:44:30 PM
If I have her number, I might send a text later that day 'had a great time, I'll call you later'. It reassures her I'm still interested, without seeming stalkerish (or too desperate).

More and more I will give out my # instead of asking. I figure I am preemptively making her feel a little safer. Some women may feel a little apprehensive giving out their number to someone they don't know well these days. So instead of forcing an awkward moment where she doesn't want to give out her number yet, I will just give her mine. I'll say 'I'm not busy later tonight, if you'd like to call'. Let's her know it's not too soon.

Basically I try to remove any doubts of safety or etiquette.

For the women who say they both don't give out their number, AND don't call someone who gives them theirs....I'm not exactly sure how you ever get to the first date. And IMO, dismissing a guy because he gave his number seems a little elitist. The guy could be like me, simply trying to show interest while at the same time making her feel a little safer. After all, having a guys # without giving out your own at the very least shows the guy is not a stalker.

Then again, maybe someone women want a stalker. What do I know, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
 charliesangel28
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/3/2009 3:53:53 PM
don't take his number. let him take yours. you shouldn't be callling him period. thats a mans job.and if you ever did call a guy you will know how awkward it can be. oh and a guy that gives you his number but doesn't take yours is not interested or not worth bothering about.

If you call already what will happen is the power shifts in his favour. and he knows he is in and this will plague any relationship that follows.
 thefishwhisperer
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:06:28 PM
You can call the next day but only once a week and always be the one to end the conversation on the phone first, because your busy, busy, busy. Always have 5 plates spinning. I know it's bull sheet but dating is brutal sometimes. You are high value and you don't have all day to talk. People need you for all kinds of stuff.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:20:32 PM
Next day is cool. See, if I interacted with her and she has my number. I'm interested. plain and simple. It means I saw something there that piked my interest and it wasn't her tits.
 merelymortal
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 1:18:38 AM

I know I've seen this in the threads, but guys...what do you think...when you give a number to a chick, when do you hope to hear from her?

men are not like women, we like to hear from her the minute after we left her with our number...

meaning the best time to call a guy who you gave your number to is right after he gave you his number and went off about his business...

otherwise, he will think it is completely up to him on whether or not to go for you, and also, if he has other prospects, he may seek them rather than you...

just sayin... call him and flirt asap... shamelessly, make him feel stupid not to talk to you rather than other prospects and you can't loose
 Brunopolis
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/4/2009 5:00:39 AM
@isaackitty

Thank you for the honesty. I think most men should take cues from this lady. Men are meant to be the pursuers and women want to be the pursued. Men are supposed to be dominant and women are supposed to be submissive(at least from a dating point of view). It's just the natural order of things.

However, the only thing I completely disagree is that women pursuing leads to relationships failing. You're just rationalizing your choice in your mind. Really I think it comes down to fearing rejection. Not that there's anything wrong with it because millions of men are too scared to chase women due to the fear of getting rejected as well.

Personally, I need like 35 green lights before I proceed because I'm a bit of a wuss in that regard too.
 lets fish!
Msg: 67
Nitebynite....
Posted: 12/4/2009 6:42:29 AM
Brilliant Nitebynite,

but honestly?

Im a huge woos when it comes to this, if someone gives me their number Ill message them and tell them whether or not ill call and if so, Ill let them know ill call within a couple of days.
wimp? absolutely lol!
 brianmartin
Msg: 68
Nitebynite....
Posted: 12/5/2009 12:37:29 AM
How about right away? Or whenever you want? There is no glass-encased rule book somewhere that says when you should do things...
 ChefAmber
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/5/2009 5:04:46 AM
A guy I met on this site, actually got mad at me about this. Actually he texted me yesterday morning while I was at work. I am not allowed to use my phone at work. I had a huge party for 300 people to cook for and was very busy. I did text him a thank you but also said I was at work and could not talk.
When I got off work I texted him and apologized for not being able to talk earlier. I have gotten the cold shoulder so that's the end of that. That is just ridiculous and I don't like ridiculous. Just call him, forget the rules. Just let him know you thought of him, if he's busy he can call back later. Things work out when they are meant to.
 ----------girl next door-
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/5/2009 5:27:41 AM
Just don't call at all. Even better don't even give the guy the chance to meet you. Don't answer any e-mails and hey, you then don't have to worry about anything. People are so funny.
 Wiyan
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:02:45 AM
I would thank the guy and, assuming I was comfortable with talking more with him, give him MY #, so that if and when he was interested in talking to me, he would call me.
 SJB2010
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:05:30 AM

I always thought the 3-day rule was silly. If you had a good time, call them the next day and say so.

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to when a woman gets a man's number via email before they have met...
 SJB2010
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:06:22 AM
And from a guy's perspective, whenever I've given my number to a girl she contacted me within a few hours.
 SJB2010
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:11:35 AM
Wow, I just read a lot of the replies ... you older people analyze this way too much. Like I said she contacts me within hours of me giving her my cell, but I forgot to mention sometimes she replies in an email and gives me her number and says hope to hear from you... obviously too shy to initiate contact or prefer the guy calling.
 Fifi47
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:31:59 AM
Any time I have ever called a guy when he gave me his number he had either given me his number as an ego boost to see if I would call and when i did he said he would never be interested in me and hung up the phone, he has not called me back when i left a message, or he thought I was looking for a sex only thing when I called him....nope, probably not going to call, he can call me when he is really interested and not playing childish games.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > HELP! When a guy gives you his #, how long do you wait to call?????