Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Why don't men like smart women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texaspamc
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why don't men like smart women?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I'm not an anything dad -- never married, no kids. Nothing even remotely Stepford about me, Pam. Ever get over to the West coast?

Nope. Spent the last nine years held captive in the suburbs of Weston. Just now getting to the beach, etc. that was only 15 min away this whole time!
 Gary S.
Msg: 27
Why don't men like smart women?
Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:25 PM
I don't think men mind smart women... it's just that they want someone who is easy to get along with... which is has little to do with intelligence.

Men are not intimidated by smart women... they simply shy away from women whom are not likable. In dating, people are attracted first to looks... yes, this includes both men and women.... when women say a man was not her type, what she really means is that she was not attracted to him. Do you smell what I'm cooking?! The second thing they want is to be mentally stimulated in a positive way... and humor is at the top of the list in that regard.

As a rule, never talk sex, politics, or religion on a first date if you want a second date, LOL! Think about it... if I profess to be republican in my profile, I'll won't have a girlfriend until I'm seventy!
 Lynlin1957
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2006 5:58:00 AM
I don't think men mind smart women... it's just that they want someone who is easy to get along with... which is has little to do with intelligence.

I think it's more a case of either agreeing to disagree on various issues, or at least allowing the other person the right to their opinions. Frankly, I'm turned off by anyone who refuses to see the validity of another's ideas or opinions. That being said, I also find those who wave their intelligence around like a "red flag in front of a bull" or flaunt their ignorance as though it were a thing to be proud of to be equally off-putting.
 mikedanger
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:57:25 AM
tex, we smart men live in NORTH florida... lol! much less danger from 'canes up this way.... personally, i love, an' crave an intellectual woman! AND you score big bonus points
for your use of the word "dichotomy" in a sentence... it is the word most commonly used to describe me, AND one of my ALL-TIME faves!
 Sardonic
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:11:31 PM
If I had a choice, my order of importance would be as follows:
Heart (to include honesty, integrity and morals)
Brains (excluding those who "think" they're smarter than they are)
Soul (not the James Brown kind)
Looks (let's not kid ourselves)
Creativity (so I don't have to always figure out what to do)

Intellect, smarts, common sense and "being smart" hold different meanings for different people, but the only men (or anyone else) that just want a barbie doll are those that can't equate relationships to anything past the materialistic rainbow. Then again, barbie must have something to have all that cool stuff, I mean, come on, she's got a dreamhouse!!

Trouble is, looks and brains don't always come in the same package, and I don't judge, but I fear we must be honest and give the looks department at least some credit. I mean, I don't think I'd want to be with an unattractive rocket scientist.

Then there's the school of thought that holds true no matter who you are, that beauty truly is based on the interpretation of the viewer. How true, I mean, have you seen Lyle Lovett (sp) for crying out crispies!

Of course, it could all be complete bunk and just the rantings of a guy who resolved himself to finding a unicorn on a website. If that's intellectual, I'm the queen mother.

Sorry for the rant. Who we talking 'bout? This isn't the Jello marketing deployment group is it? Damn the luck.
 texaspamc
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:09 AM
AND you score big bonus points
for your use of the word "dichotomy" in a sentence

Thanks. I know I tend to use too many obscure words for alot of my friends (guess it's the English degree--makes me want to correct everyone's grammar. LOL). That's how I felt when a man used the word cognizant in a sentence. Found it weirdly sexy.
 fl_cntry_boy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2006 12:12:04 PM
Me personally if she can't hold a intellagent conversation then do'nt even bother. Do'snt matter how great she is in bed. There has to be intelligence first to even attract me.
FCB
 nasajack2003
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:44:33 PM
I like smart women around me...it kinda covers up for me... ...and it brings me a level up from pond scum!!
 Smokeater_II
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:04:58 PM
An intellectual woman does not “turn off” all men, by a long shot. I love the challenge of a good debate provided we agree there is two sides to every discussion and each must accept the opinion of the other. One problem I have seen personally is that if you don't hold a degree of some kind, most women think you're not an intellectual. It's quite unfair but never the less happens frequently. So you see it run both directions. I have no degree but attended some college and even built a new Associates Degree program for a junior college. I took over a failing program and rebuilt it into the largest of it's kind in the state. What happened after I had completed all this you ask? They decided that the degree program was much too sophisticated to be directed by an individual without a degree. Do I possess a high IQ? Yes. Am I intellectual? Yes, but there are many people both male and female who are intimidated by it and tend to say thanks, but no thanks. Then there are the ladies who ask, where are all the intellectual men? And when you try to answer them, you are told you are too old to email the lady... by two years.
 seeker2006
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:24 PM
I think you pride your self on your intellect to much. No offense.
 Aurora73
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/6/2006 5:58:08 PM
I like smart women, but I'd favor someone who was "as smart" as me, rather than someone who was "smarter than" me. Hey, no-one likes to play catch up.

~Aurora
 wayupforfun
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:39 PM

An intellectual woman does not “turn off” all men, by a long shot. I love the challenge of a good debate provided we agree there is two sides to every discussion and each must accept the opinion of the other. One problem I have seen personally is that if you don't hold a degree of some kind, most women think you're not an intellectual. It's quite unfair but never the less happens frequently. So you see it run both directions. I have no degree but attended some college and even built a new Associates Degree program for a junior college. I took over a failing program and rebuilt it into the largest of it's kind in the state. What happened after I had completed all this you ask? They decided that the degree program was much too sophisticated to be directed by an individual without a degree. Do I possess a high IQ? Yes. Am I intellectual? Yes, but there are many people both male and female who are intimidated by it and tend to say thanks, but no thanks. Then there are the ladies who ask, where are all the intellectual men? And when you try to answer them, you are told you are too old to email the lady... by two years.

I'm guessing that there wasn't a whole bunch of punctuation in the manual for that associate's degree (which, btw, doesn't warrant capitalization).

never the less
One word. "Nevertheless".

there is two sides
No, there "isn't". But there certainly are.

Then there are the ladies who ask, where are all the intellectual men?
If you must quote, then use quotations. They look like this "".

I could go on, but I think the point is made: you really should polish the old grammar and punctiation before professing your intellect in a public forum. Just a suggestion.

Have a nice day.
 wayupforfun
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:13:27 PM
OK, i just re-read that. I was kinda rude, I suppose. Sorry about that.
 sid123
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:12 AM
okey so here is an smart perspective on love and relationship .

rule 1. love is dynamic so u really cannot guranntee your future with someone else.
2. \if u love someone u better love the lovers wishes too that also means whoring out - or it seems not loving at all.
3. love is a longingness to be as near as possibe so its mainly sex for adults which might seem offensive to some women .
Any ways why are u after smart man ....go after a dumb one with deep pockets rock his world and rock ur world somewhere else . \i will always prefer a dumber patner for reltaionship at least - that brings me exactly to the lowest point of desirability.. whatever i dont care ..........
 missinghimalready
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/8/2006 10:52:13 AM
I have never encountered a man doesn't respect my intelligence. However, my intellect is only part of the package, personality, a good heart, honesty go along with it. I would never "dumb myself down" for a man, nor would I want a man in my life who is seeking a bimbo. If everyone is honest, physical appearance is what initally attracts someone, but personality and intellect is what keeps them. I think some people are looking too deeply into this issue, and need to relax and have a good time without thinking ahead to the long term. If it happens, it happens, if not, there are other fish in the sea. I don't consider having a man vital to being happy, if you are happy and secure with yourself, that is what draws people in. If you emit bitterness and prejudge all men by a few rotten apples, that is the vibe you are going to give off, and who would want to get involved with that?
 sparkyman11
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:49:43 AM
I think that most men are insecure with a smart woman. They dont feel as in control, and thats wrong. Whats better than a great conversation that stimulates the mind. When a man feels secure witin himself than that man will learn from you and that makes for a better relationship. Keep the smarts, and if a guy cant respect your intelligence, than he is not worth your time. Respect goes a long way in a relationship.
 ItsTracy
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/11/2006 7:41:50 AM
Hey Girl,

I love your posts. There are other WOMEN in Florida just like yourself -- That don't just "go with the flow"! I'm in Tampa, and we have a pretty progressive bunch of people around here. But you're right, we are a minority, and men can (and do) find us intimidating. Some men mistake a heated discussion for an arguement, when it's not. It's okay to have differing opinions; that can be the spark that keeps the two of you on your toes! Unfortunately, some people cannot seperate the two.

Good luck in your search... Or should I say - Good luck on your quest! HA!

--Tracy
 missinghimalready
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/11/2006 10:17:29 PM
[Now thats what im talking bout... want to add a 26 yr old to that list ]

sure -lol, but would probably take a while to train you....lol
 Aurora73
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/12/2006 5:20:39 PM
The enduring question is "do fundamental differences lead to good relationships"? I know that Hollywood often conflates earnest disagreement with romance, but what core could you ever fashion based on dissimilarity?

~Aurora
 mikedanger
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:48:12 PM
are we still questioning the attractiveness of intelligent ladies? come on! we LOVE 'em!

dangerboy
 HB2
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/15/2006 8:07:30 PM
ROTFPMSLMFAO

Because we scare the crap out of you...

It's harder to impress women intelligent women...

And we're harder to fool...
 LEWCHEF
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2006 2:04:19 PM
I prefer only smart women!
 mikedanger
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/16/2006 3:10:15 PM
hb-squared: is that pms inna midst o' rotfpmslmfao, the pms we've all come to know and fear?

tex: how's yer search goin', o' enigmatic one?

mikey
 yuletide
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/20/2006 1:41:42 AM
I don't have a problem dating smart women. I do have a problem with women who have an attitude or are very opinionated.
 lsmatrix
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/22/2006 10:35:43 PM
They dont like stupid ones who create stupid posts like this....thats for sure lol...

LOL jk..its common sense..why..
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Why don't men like smart women?