Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Walmart.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Walmart-The Scum Bags of the UniversePage 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I really breaks my heart to see the one going up in the small town I live close to. Me and my SO almost had a fight over it today... I told him we just have to agree to disagree, he is a wally world prince.. love to shop there.
 Monday In October
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Walmart -- the defendant
Posted: 4/6/2006 12:24:26 PM
Wal-Mart is the target of one of my personal 'crusades'. You'd all hate them more if you could see just how politically connected they seem to be!

Coincidentally, only yesterday I noticed that Wal-Mart was on the list for arraignment today in my local county court (info is all online). Apparently, one or more of the local Wal-Mart stores are being charged with unclassified misdemeanors. I wasn't able to tell what for, but I saw that one of the counts resulted in a $10000 fine. Oops.

here's a sample:

NASSAU Criminal Court
Docket 2005NA016222
Defendant WAL-MART STORES EAST, INC 2916

Law Code and Code Section/Subsection: CO NCFPO13.2.1 00
Charge Detail Unclassified Misdemeanor, 1 count, Arrest charge, Arraignment charge
Disposition/Sentence REDUCED TO THE PLED TO CHARGE

Law Code and Code Section/Subsection: CO NCFPO13.6 00 *** TOP CHARGE ***
Charge Detail Unclassified Misdemeanor, 1 count, Arrest charge, Arraignment charge
Disposition/Sentence REDUCED TO THE PLED TO CHARGE

Law Code and Code Section/Subsection: CO NCFP600.20 00
Charge Detail Violation, 1 count, Not an arrest charge, Not an arraignment charge
Charge added to case on: September 22, 2005
Disposition/Sentence Fine Imposed $10,000

There's more, but I'll spare you all..
 dallasguy99
Msg: 128
Walmart -- the defendant
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:53:18 PM

You just now noticed this? it's been going on since the 80's. thanks to Ronald Reagan
who said "I never net a merger I didn't like..."
What? I don't think so. Lying will net you a stint in hell.
 tonym144
Msg: 129
Walmart-The Scum Bags of the Universe
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:57:41 PM
Just for the record...a lot of people badmouth Wal-Mart because it hurts the "mom and pop" kind of store. But those are a thing of the past. Back when they were popular, those kind of stores bought from the manufacturer at low prices so they could keep the pricing in the community low. But it's not Wal-Mart's fault that the manufacterers have decided to become greedy pigs. It's all thanks to pure greed and America trying to balance something that's unable to be balanced. The manufacturer says "I'm not making enough profit, I'll raise my prices and make a profit." Then the government says "The cost of living has gone up. We need to raise minimum wage." Then the manufacturer says "I have to pay my people more now, and I'm not making the profits I was before. I'll raise my prices again." And so on. Wal-Mart takes it back for the people by buying bulk and saying "If you want MY business, you have to meet MY price." The manufacturer thinks "Well, I won't make as much on each one, but I'll sell a lot more. Ok, I'll do it." Then Wal-Mart comes to the people and says "Here you go. I was able to get you the same product you used to buy at a high price, only I can sell it to you for a LOWER price." What is so evil about that? Wal-Mart may kill the "mom and pop" stores, but in the end, the manufacturer would do that anyway, and they are saving us money in the meantime. People need to stop badmouthing Wal-Mart, not only because it has lowered the prices that we have to pay for necessary items, but also the supercenters and 24-hour stores have created a LOT more jobs for the people. I was without a job for a full year because people kept saying they had no openings. Wal-Mart offered me a job and I'm glad they did. Not only am I now getting a paycheck, but of all the jobs I have had, this is the first one that treats their employees with GENUINE respect. Not that "yeah, good job." garbage you almost have to work your a$$ off to get. You can honestly tell they appreciate you. So everyone who thinks Wal-Mart is evil, get back to the REAL world and find out for yourself. It's much better than the alternative.
 ZoomerZ
Msg: 130
Walmart.
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:54:38 PM
Consider these "facts":

Wal-Mart fails to cover 60% of their workers with any health insurance
All Walmart employees have plans available to them, but a great many are covered under a spouses plan and dont need the Walmart coverge. And since when was the responsibility to provide you with health insurance transfered from the individual to the employer? Employer provided insurance is a fringe benefit, not a right.

70% of Wal-Mart merchandise is from China
Just like every other retailer. Walmart is not unique. If all products were aquired domesticly the price would quadruple.

When Wal-Mart comes to town, for every two jobs it creates three jobs are lost
Three overpaid, underworked people turned into productive employees paid wages in line with their skills. The other one was deadwood.

Wal-Mart costs federal taxpayers over $1.5 billion a year in welfare to their employees
Welfare is paid from State revenue, not Federal. Red herring statistic. With 1.2 million employees, that works out to just over $1000 each, about the same amount reported in EIC payments from the IRS.

Wal-Mart tops the list of companies with employees and their dependents on public assistance in at least 11 states
In raw numbers only, as a percentage of all employees, once again, Walmart is not out of line with other retailers.
I support Walmart, because of its razor thin profit margins I can afford more goods for less money. Its called the free-market system, and Walmart makes it work very well for the business and the customer. All the Walmart bashers need to put their money where their mouth is and open a competing chain. Perhaps if that chain could be operated at a 2% profit margin or less, it might even succeed. I'm not holding my breath.
 Monday In October
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Walmart is evil
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:30:47 PM
Wal-Mart isn't evil because they can buy in such quantity that they can offer better prices. They're not evil because they're greedy (that's more in the category of just being part of the corporate world) and want to make a profit. These are just symptoms and by-products of untempered capitalism.

I consider Wal-Mart to be evil because they use their wealth and political clout to intentionally harm competitors, employees and customers.

When Wal-Mart purposefully spends millions of $$ to prevent, avoid and break up labor unions, that is evil. When Wal-Mart refuses to pay hundreds of thousands of employees overtime that they actually worked, that is evil. When Wal-Mart's legal department takes on local governments with limited budgets in order to bully them into permitting one of their stores to be built, that is evil. When Wal-Mart institutes a company-wide policy which causes them to search all customers as they leave each store, that's evil.
 867love
Msg: 132
Walmart.
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:02:36 PM
everyone is envious of wal-mart because they are a successful corporation. if its so evil than why do so many people crowd in to shop. i dont like shopping there, only because i feel like cattle being hearded through the store. even though it is crushing the competition. competition is what keeps us on our toes. if we sat around and expected everyone to play fair. the world would fall apart. why do you think nature has natural selection -to insure the fittest survive to keep the circle of life cycling.
the store that pisses me off is K-MART would somebody please tell those corporate clowns at k-mart not to save money by only having two inept cashiers to check out the entire store. if theres over 25 people in line. its time to open up another check out lane.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:13:07 PM
I can assure you... this person is NOT envious of Wal-mart or the Walton family!!!
 jn5218
Msg: 134
Walmart -- the defendant
Posted: 4/7/2006 8:44:50 AM
It's easy to say boycott walmart. but when you make minimum wahe and you can get walmart brand of over the counter medicines for your kids at half price. what are you going to do?

And Dallasguy

"You just now noticed this? it's been going on since the 80's. thanks to Ronald Reagan
who said "I never net a merger I didn't like..."

"What? I don't think so. Lying will net you a stint in hell."

you of all ppl should remember the greedy 80's. you know, Reagan, savings and loan scandals.... you know, the beginning of merger mania...
 Hezron
Msg: 135
Walmart -- the defendant
Posted: 4/7/2006 9:02:56 AM
There is not point whining about wall mart if you still think capitalism and corporate culture are the best path for mankind. I think we all know deep down they are not. Wal-mart is just the best example of everyhting that is wrong with pure capitalism. The problem is...you can't just say...hey lets not have a corporate world...you need to replace it with something. What I find fascinating is that even though it is becoming abundantly clear that pure capitalism does not work...we are still trying to bring it to the rest ofthe planet....hmmmmmmmm
 gothygeek
Msg: 136
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 12:31:18 PM

In raw numbers only, as a percentage of all employees, once again, Walmart is not out of line with other retailers.
I support Walmart, because of its razor thin profit margins I can afford more goods for less money. Its called the free-market system, and Walmart makes it work very well for the business and the customer. All the Walmart bashers need to put their money where their mouth is and open a competing chain. Perhaps if that chain could be operated at a 2% profit margin or less, it might even succeed. I'm not holding my breath.

They did. They are called Target and Costco.

Costco employees make an average of $33,000 a year (or upwards of $40,000 for term longemployees) and the company pays for much of their benefits.

www.seattleweekly.com/news/0450/041215_news_costco.php

Target is just as cheap as Walmart in many ways (especially medications) and they manage to treat their employees much more fairly. Unfortunately I will probably have to quit shopping there soon; I can't support a company whose politics I don't respect.

I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart in almost 10 years. That also includes time when I made $6.50 an hour and was the sole wage-earner for my daughter.

I've already addressed how Walmart treats their employees in this thread. I should know; I was one of them.
 rainpanda
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:11:18 PM
gothy: I'm with you. I have only once set foot inside a Wal-Mart and that was to explore and take a mini-inventory on prices for things that I would normally buy elsewhere. They were not even consistently lower in price; they had a lot of loss-leaders and some other prices that might APPEAR to be low one hadn't been armed with research. But if they had been consistently cheaper, I still wouldn't be shopping there. A few reasons: I don't like the fact that their employees cannot afford access to healthcare (and Wal-Mart costs my state in Medicaid benefits alone, nearly twice as much per worker employed, compared the next highest-cost-to-state-taxpayers-in-Medicaid employer in the state); they have unfair labor practices across the board; the multimillionaire Waltons donate large sums of money to extreme right political action groups, including the scummy outfit that organized the slimy Swiftboater smear; they cause more damage to communities than they make up through tax contributions and employment, in many cases. And I could go on. But I'm late by 2 minutes, getting out the door.

Bye

~ Panda
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 138
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 3:58:04 PM
I shop @ Wallmart in Canada. I love it. I go to one store, its all there, and its cheap.

I also noted that in my city the two Wallmarts that are here improved the local economy allot. All kinds of various stores sprung up around them after they were built.
Quite the opposite to what some are saying here.

Any-how, I don't have to shop there for the prices, I chose to.

As for the politics, I don't care. If they continue to have deals and selection, im there.
If people don't like that, thats your problem, not mine.
 Intercooler
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 7:36:53 PM
^^^^ And you're why Wal-Mart is so successful. Sheep without conscience or care, but plenty of apathy and "path of least resistance" mentality.
 rainpanda
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:35:05 PM

I shop @ Wallmart in Canada.

Shop all you can now, because if the employees vote to unionize, the store(s) will be closed down.

~ Panda
 toonsmith
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:00 PM
Walmart.

Satan shops there.

Walmart souled out years ago.

Toon
 aegean_odyssey
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/8/2006 2:34:04 AM
I also noted that in my city the two Wallmarts that are here improved the local economy allot. All kinds of various stores sprung up around them after they were built.
Quite the opposite to what some are saying here

Always34..... come on --- be serious
I can tell you 100% that more than one of those bastards Wal Marts in your backyard
WILL screw up your economy beyond your imagination .. wait till you see the long term implications -- they are the here on earth

take this advice from someone who lives with 20 Wal Marts within a 18 mile radius
and plans to put more in ---

Anti Christ or himself == they are evil
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 143
Walmart.
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:41:24 AM
Always34..... come on --- be serious

Im quite serious. You see the arguement that the state has to shoulder the medical burden costs of Wallmart employees does not work in Canada, as our government already does that, with all of our taxes.

Wallmart was welcomed with open arms in this city and for good reason.
They have improved the local economy. In the one location about four solid blocks of buisness popped up around it.
I know this doesnt jive with all the anti wallmart pro union views in this thread, but it does not change the fact that it happened and I have witnessed it firsthand.

Sorry, but I really do not buy that they have a negative impact in Canada.
As for the USA, I cannot comment because I dont live there.
To me this is just the unions kicking and screaming because they canot get their foot in the door.
If you ask me, its unions who are "evil" and cause our economy the most harm. (especially public sector unions)
The days of Henry Ford working people to death for little or no money are over.
Unions have served their purpose and they are outdated now.

And you're why Wal-Mart is so successful. Sheep without conscience or care, but plenty of apathy and "path of least resistance" mentality.

I don't see wallmart as a destroying force but a positive force. Its called freedom of choice.
They operate in a global market in free countries. Deal with it.
Bashing people for shopping there is not exactly going to win you any support.

You have the right to boycott and chose to shop or not shop any-where you want to, you do not have the right to judge others for doing the same, just because you don't like it.
 Intercooler
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/10/2006 1:03:00 PM

If you ask me, its unions who are "evil" and cause our economy the most harm. (especially public sector unions)
The days of Henry Ford working people to death for little or no money are over.
Unions have served their purpose and they are outdated now.

I'll bet your tune would be different if you visited a couple of sweatshops in Indonesia or China where factories that cater exclusively to Wal-Mart pay their employees just enough to keep them from starving to death and work them long enough to keep them virtually enslaved without much hope of building a better life.

What Wal-Mart does in America and Canada is just a more cleaned-up version of this. A ready supply of dead-end jobs, offer subpar benefits, and refuse to pay overtime until you get your corporate pants sued off by individuals and through class-action lawsuits.

Go do a little fact-checking and see how many lawsuits have been filed and are pending against Wal-Mart for systematically insisting employees work off the clock without pay.

Wal-Mart is polishing turds and you're seeing jewels. Good for you.
 aegean_odyssey
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/10/2006 1:55:58 PM

Wallmart was welcomed with open arms in this city and for good reason.
They have improved the local economy. In the one location about four solid blocks of buisness popped up around it.
I know this doesnt jive with all the anti wallmart pro union views in this thread, but it does not change the fact that it happened and I have witnessed it firsthand.

AlwaysSmilin,,
I see you are a strong defender of WalMart my suggestion to you is this:

Go Work at Wal Mart for a year -Wal Marts terms and hourly wage
- then report back to us-
I really want to know if your quality of life/standard of living would have changed,,

I would bet that you couldn't afford a pint of at the end of your workweek
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 146
Walmart.
Posted: 4/10/2006 3:05:56 PM

AlwaysSmilin,,
I see you are a strong defender of WalMart my suggestion to you is this:

Actually I do not really care that much I was browsing threads and jumped in.

Go Work at Wal Mart for a year -Wal Marts terms and hourly wage
- then report back to us-
I really want to know if your quality of life/standard of living would have changed

The same could be said about McDonalds, Coffee shops, any job that does not offer much money or benefits. Why arent you people on those company's cases?

The point is, people have a choice to work there, or don't. And you can't tell me that employees of the "ma & pa's" shops that you all claim Wallmart is closing down would be paid any better, or even given benefits.

The nature of the job dictates the pay. I really do not see any-thing that goes on in a Wallmart that warrants a rocket scientist cert. Having said that, why do you think they (Wallmart workers) should be paid more? Because the company is so sucessfull? Why arent you on Microsoft's case about improving their pay roll then?

I havent checked, but I bet if you compare what Wallmart pays to what other companies pay for similar positions I bet there is not much difference, if any.

If every-one is so concerned about lay paying jobs why arent you fighting for them all?
All the burger flippers, and telemarketers, etc.

superswan
Msg: 147
Walmart.
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:07:07 PM
I agree and feel that since it is illegal to have a monopoly then it should be illegal to monopolize a whole community if you are doing it on a large scale such as Wal-Mart. I feel that for small communities like the one I grew up in in Edinboro Pennsylvania it hurts the moral of the community. It is as if the town is being molested of its roots. I remember from experience the overall excitement of it going in and not realizing the effects of its power to destroy local business. It was truly depressing and left everyone in it feeling as if there home had just been in a fire and had lost all there possesions.
 rainpanda
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Walmart.
Posted: 4/10/2006 8:59:05 PM
Always said:
Why arent you on Microsoft's case about improving their pay roll then?

I live in "Microsoft-land" and, actually, you won't find many people complaining about Microsoft's pay. The majority of the professionals and workers they've hired in recent years are not even employees of Microsoft, even though they work full-time for them. They are mostly "temporary" employees, paid (a very nice wage) through employment agencies (that are getting rich quick) that provide the workers with full benefits. Many of the direct employees who have worked for Microsoft for as little as a few years have been made millionaires. I know a few of the "temp" workers who get enormous hourly rates of pay (including both professionals, such as software engineers, and semi-skilled workers just above "entry level" status) and as much overtime at time-and-a-half as they want.

The same could be said about McDonalds, Coffee shops, any job that does not offer much money or benefits. Why arent you people on those company's cases?

I won't spend much time offering up a more explicit answer to this question, because this terrific thread is packed with answers to it already--and I understand that you probably didn't read all the posts. But the following excerpt illustrates part of the reason a disproportionate amount of negative attention is focused on Wal-Mart as having unfair labor practices. There are actually many reasons on top of this as well.

One report shows that, throughout 2004, an average 3,180 Wal-Mart employees were receiving state-funded medical assistance, including Medicaid, for themselves or for a dependent. The other report shows that 456 Wal-Mart employees were on the state's Basic Health Plan that year. Some employees may be counted on both of the lists.

McDonald's restaurants had the second-highest total, with an average 1,824 employees receiving Medicaid benefits in 2004.

Safeway was next, with 1,539 employees on Medicaid and 173 employees on the BHP.

With about 16,000 employees each, Wal-Mart and Safeway are among the state's largest employers. McDonald's has about 12,000 employees in Washington, but they work for 45 separately owned franchises or at one of 62 outlets the corporation owns.

...Lawmakers said one of the most startling findings in the new reports is that more than half of the Wal-Mart employees who received Medicaid benefits — nearly 1,800 — were full-time workers.

For nearly all of the other companies listed, the vast majority of employees on Medicaid were part-time workers.

"It shows Wal-Mart isn't even taking care of its full-time employees," said Rep. Eileen Cody, D-Seattle...

Those are our tax dollars that going to help support the FULL-TIME Wal-Mart employees who are "working poor" enough below the poverty rate as to qualify for state subsidies/welfare. NOTE that the majority of employees at comparably-sized Safeway, in my state, who receive state welfare subsidies were almost HALF as many as with Wal-Mart, and most of Safeway's were part-time employees, not full-time.

I find that most people are either disturbed to see/learn the facts, or they are indifferent because it's just not important to them.

I had a conversation with my niece in North Carolina last night. She wasn't surprised to learn that I boycott Wal-Mart, and have joined a grassroots community group trying to stop a third Wal-Mart within a 5-mile square radius from being built in my community. She understands why. She almost apologetically explained to me why she shops there frequently. She lives in a small town and has to incur twice the investment in gas and time getting to the next closest big-box store of another chain. I told her she didn't need to apologize to me! LOL I don't begrudge anyone the right and/or need to shop at Wal-Mart. My decision is a personal one and there's no reason for me to assume everyone should feel as I do...or that they have reasonable alternatives to make it possible to boycott Wal-Mart even if they want to.

~ Panda
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 149
Walmart.
Posted: 4/11/2006 3:33:44 PM
I find that most people are either disturbed to see/learn the facts, or they are indifferent because it's just not important to them.

Its definately not important to me as I live in Canada and we have universal health Care for all already, not just for those who can afford insurance.
So in Canada the arguement that the health care costs of Wallmart are flipped by the citizens is irrelevent.

The only thing I might be concerned about is the impact on other buisness.
But, like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, there are two Wallmarts in the city I live in.
When they arrived they actually brought buissness with them and improved the local economy. It could be argued they revitalized the north section of this city as it was in decline before they arrived, and the south was booming. There has been substantial investment in the North since Wallmart arrived, and even more in the south where they have their second location.

I'm not saying Wallmart is perfect, and im not disputing any-one's numbers or data.
I'm just saying it does not jive with what I witnessed first hand, in the city I live in.

In my opinion, Wallmart is great for this area, and generates allot of buisness.
 tonym144
Msg: 150
Walmart-The Scum Bags of the Universe
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:27:59 PM
And I bet all these people who keep saying how the Walton family is so evil would change their tune had they known them personally when the store began. "Sam Walton, local businessman, has just opened his second store." If you had known him personally, you would have been happy for him to see that. Then when he opened his hundredth store, you'd be happy that a local man had become such a major success. So why is it that just because he's not from your hometown and you didn't know him personally, he became such an evil dictator? He worked hard, made a success of himself, and you are just jealous.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Walmart.