Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is it possible to fall in love, in 1 week?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 176
Is it possible to fall in love, in 1 week?Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The Son of Sam believed that his dog spoke to him, and told him to kill people.

Se, keeping that in mind, anyone can fool themselves into buying into anything really.

To actually "fall in love" after one week, would indicate that one mentally off person, has met another mentally off person, and they're both perfect for eachother in that sense.

No normal well adjusted person "falls in loooove" after a week. I mean really...A WEEK?
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 177
Is it possible to fall in love, in 1 week?
Posted: 9/18/2010 5:38:16 AM
I think you can become very interested in someone in a very short period of time. You can call that love if you want, everyone has a different definition of it but, if you want what you feel to last you will have to take the time to get to know one another better than you have in just one week.

If this is actually happening to you and not just a theoretical question, let us know how it works out. It would be interesting to see if a couple that breaks all the rules in conventional thinking on how a relationship should progress makes a go of it.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 178
Posted: 9/18/2010 6:31:35 AM
oh come on, jrod. i fell in love w/ you at first sight even though i don't even know you and you won't take your shirt off. ;)

i thought it was pretty funny that a person with a screen name called "lmao" was asking this question.

see, it's like this. there is basically no limit to the range of human feelings and emotions that we can experience. so yes, on that basis alone, it's possible to convince yourself that you've fallen in love with somebody you have never even met. what's wrong with this picture, of course, is the complete absence of reason. at least have the decency to wait the time it takes for the dessert to arrive.

once i had a slightly neurotic roommate... sweet as pie but just a lil' f.ucked up in the head... who had actually convinced herself that she was in love with richard chamberlain and not only *that*, but he was secretly in love with her too.... he was just too shy to admit it.

i never did check in with her to find out what her new theory was when she finally found out he was gay. oops!

JRodriguez81
Msg: 179
Posted: 9/18/2010 8:33:34 AM

oh come on, jrod. i fell in love w/ you at first sight even though i don't even know you and you won't take your shirt off. ;)

If I had a nickel every time I heard this...
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2010 9:05:57 AM

Fall in love in 1 week = fatal attraction pt 2

I can see the wedding reception dinner 2 weeks later........ boiled bunny stew.

Is there such thing as a "Shotgun divorce?" (ok not a shotgun... how about a crowbar?)

venndiagram
Msg: 181
Posted: 9/18/2010 9:19:18 AM
Sure, you can fall in love in one week- its the beginning of love- lust, infatuation, etc.

If the two people are very lucky, it works out. Many times it doesn't. It has about the same chance of working out as any other way.

I fell in love with my husband the second time I met him. I jokingly said I wanted to marry him Then we just hung out over a period of time with a group of mutual friends. I actually was dating someone else at that time.

We had sex on our first date. Married for 28 years. But, we were lucky. Could certainly have gone the other way.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 182
Posted: 9/18/2010 9:54:09 AM

Sure, you can fall in love in one week- its the beginning of love- lust, infatuation, etc.

If the two people are very lucky, it works out. Many times it doesn't. It has about the same chance of working out as any other way.

No, it really doesnt have the "same chance of working out as any other way"

I'd be willing to bet that relationships where two people have taken their time to develop at an even pace, generally probably do better than a ton of people falling in love within a week, to days within meeting eachother.

Something generally isnt kosher in the old homefront, when people fall in love that quickly.

Does it happen sometimes? Sure. Does it sometimes work? Sure.

But i wouldnt feel comfortable playing the odds on it.
 beccabird
Msg: 183
Posted: 9/18/2010 10:45:48 AM
Yes, it can happen. My ex husband and I fell in love with each other very fast and were married for 2 1/2 years. It is very rare but it can happen. Love doesn't have any rules or it would take away from the beauty of it. Love happens when it wants to. That's why it's such a beautiful thing.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 184
Posted: 9/18/2010 11:03:14 AM
I guess for those that believe in "love at first sight". It has never happened to me, as I need to know about the person. Heck, he can be a serial killer for all we know, and that is surely not a man that I'd feel any love for!

Now, lust of 1st sight - yes!
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 185
Posted: 9/19/2010 5:39:26 AM
If I had a nickel every time I heard this...

...then you'd have what, 25 cents? still, pretty good all things considered!!

Love happens when it wants to. That's why it's such a beautiful thing.

oh come on. that's irrational as hell. even bowel movements happen when they want to. does that make it a beautiful thing? it could merely be a sick thing, or a slightly crazy thing, or a messy thing. i point to your other thread on "broken hearts" for context.

txredbull
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2010 1:37:22 PM
Yes, because "Romantic Love" is something that is made...its not something you "FALL in to". Its no different than the love in God. Its something you decide, its something you have faith in, its something you believe, its something you have to work daily at.

So if you tell yourself you are in love, you ARE.

People believe you "fall in love" like quicksand...so that has to take some kind of time....thats just as rediculous really. It is "made"....for some people "making that feeling" takes time...in other people it doesn't. The amount of time depends on you wrestling the concept.
 fashiongal2
Msg: 187
Posted: 9/19/2010 9:44:24 PM
No. Within a week, I might think to myself. "This man sounds interesting so far. I would want to go out another date with him and get to know better". But I would need to spend more time with him before I can fall in love with him.
 Minau
Msg: 188
Posted: 9/19/2010 11:01:51 PM
Yep...and that's why I tell people..it doesn't take years and years to figure it out...you know pretty damn quick if that person is the one...often relationships that finally marry after 7 years of dating and 3 years of engagement will likely only be married for only 2 and divorce. If you haven't definitively figured it out within a year or two although honestly you know much sooner then that it just makes good sense to get to know the person first hence the one or two year wait...and only decide to marry bc it's the logical next step in the relationship as opposed to 110% knowing that she's the one, then you're likely just settling.
 RealisticRomantic
Msg: 189
Posted: 9/20/2010 12:15:55 AM
You have to... it can't work otherwise. Anything else is, by its nature, a cold and calculated manipulation. Reducing another person to a scalar quantity is criminal. If you don't have tangible evidence by the end of the first day, it is only right to nix it. If you don't then the crime is yours.
 Lukeios
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 12:27:47 AM
It's quite possible to fall in lurve on the first week. Love? Maybe.
 az109
Msg: 191
Posted: 9/20/2010 1:30:30 AM
It's impossible not to fall in love immediately. It just will sometimes take people a while to work their way around to that moment when it happens. They have other things to do first, like to arouse from the trance they wander around in dead to love, or play out the glory of victim-hood. You take two reasonably sane people whose hearts are ready in general and throw them together in a comfortable environment, and if they are sexually compatible the result will be a flirtation with love, at least. It wants to happen, and then you can be susceptible or not. It is impossible to know someone very well at all in just one week. It is reckless to act in ways that produce children, transmit diseases, begin or ruin marriages, disrupt other relationships, or leave you with a visible tattoo, using as your excuse that you fell in love. Prudence requires someone to stop and think. That is why falling in love must be overwhelming. If good judgment prevailed you would have neither regrets nor perfect unions. Infatuation is often mistaken as an illusory fraud made up of chemicals that comes along like a wave to carry you onto the rocks where it strands you. People like to caution against rushing in. But it must work that way for intimacy to occur, and it is only when we are intimate that we can experience the essential part of being together, past the reach of our intellects, untroubled by reason.
 RealisticRomantic
Msg: 192
Posted: 9/20/2010 1:44:25 AM
It's impossible not to fall in love immediately. It just will sometimes take people a while to work their way around to that moment when it happens. They have other things to do first, like to arouse from the trance they wander around in dead to love, or play out the glory of victim-hood. You take two reasonably sane people whose hearts are ready in general and throw them together in a comfortable environment, and if they are sexually compatible the result will be a flirtation with love, at least. It wants to happen, and then you can be susceptible or not. It is impossible to know someone very well at all in just one week. It is reckless to act in ways that produce children, transmit diseases, begin or ruin marriages, disrupt other relationships, or leave you with a visible tattoo, using as your excuse that you fell in love. Prudence requires someone to stop and think. That is why falling in love must be overwhelming. If good judgment prevailed you would have neither regrets nor perfect unions. Infatuation is often mistaken as an illusory fraud made up of chemicals that comes along like a wave to carry you onto the rocks where it strands you. People like to caution against rushing in. But it must work that way for intimacy to occur, and it is only when we are intimate that we can experience the essential part of being together, past the reach of our intellects, untroubled by reason

I'll buy that. Well stated.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 193
Posted: 9/20/2010 7:53:58 AM

Yep...and that's why I tell people..it doesn't take years and years to figure it out...you know pretty damn quick if that person is the one...often relationships that finally marry after 7 years of dating and 3 years of engagement will likely only be married for only 2 and divorce. If you haven't definitively figured it out within a year or two although honestly you know much sooner then that it just makes good sense to get to know the person first hence the one or two year wait...and only decide to marry bc it's the logical next step in the relationship as opposed to 110% knowing that she's the one, then you're likely just settling.

One could easily turn around and state that relationships where the people fell in love after merely a week, end up divorcing fast as well.

Ive known, or have heard of countless people that have met up, fallen in love fairly quickly, were SURE that they met their soulmate....only to end up wanting to kill eachother within a year or two.

Honestly, its just a matter of the dice roll. One way isnt more so than the other.

But more than likely I'd advice someone to pace themselves for the longer run.....rather than coming out of the starting line, sprinting fast, and then tiring out sooner.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 194
Posted: 9/20/2010 4:33:06 PM
It only takes an instant.

All you people who talk about reason, maturity, consequences and all the other sober stuff, just never had this happen to you.

Unpremeditated and unpreventable event. A fall, like tripping over your shoelaces and falling before you can catch yourself midair. It happens to a few lucky ones.

And the ones who experienced it never regret it and never blame fate and the others, because it made their life happy and bright, even if it didn't last forever.

But when you know it exists, you can always hope that it will happen again.

valenciacityx
Msg: 195
Posted: 9/20/2010 11:41:50 PM
Sure, but its the kind of thing that happens in highschool or college; nothing in the real world. It would just be infatuation now, but enjoy it none the less.
 tinainhouston39
Msg: 196
Posted: 9/21/2010 2:32:55 PM
For me love is a choice. Attraction and chemistry are not. If your truly going to love someone as the bible outlines then you must love them despite themselves because we all know the true nature of man is selfish...lol If you buy that premise...not everyone will agree with that...then you have to go through some hard Knox first before you can know for sure. Example: I can say I love you but when you disappoint me how then do I show my love for you?? It's all about choices...little ones, every day. Choosing to put someone before yourself is a hard choice to make...usually it only works when the other person is mirroring the same premise. My question to you is how all that trust and giving can happen in a week?? In my experience that takes months to build...but then I'm just living inside my own reality :)
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 197
Posted: 9/21/2010 4:43:32 PM

(LMAO(d1469452) Just wondering is it really possible, to fall in love in 1 week?

Anything's possible.

Dr. ES
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 198
Posted: 9/21/2010 4:54:37 PM

Anything's possible.

Dr. ES

Yeah? Can you lift up a car, with only one finger?
 az109
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:14:06 PM
Cars don't have fingers.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 200
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:29:43 PM

(DES) Anything's possible.

(jrodriguez81) Yeah? Can you lift up a car, with only one finger?

Ten million comedians outta work, and look who's applying...

Dr. ES

ETA:

(az109) Cars don't have fingers.

[ BRAYING NASAL LAUGH ]

[ /BRAYING NASAL LAUGH ]
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is it possible to fall in love, in 1 week?