Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how many here are after 45 and without children      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cdn_guy
Msg: 101
how many here are after 45 and without childrenPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
no kids=no regrets.....the people who have kids that say they wouldn't have it any other way say that because they CAN'T have it any other way.........it's done. i'll finish my life on this planet and won't feel like i missed a thing by not having kids.

Surprised I've not stopped by this thread already, for I'm 55 and have never had children. I suppose everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion - afterall, that's what being an individual is all about - but I'll sure say that I don't share luckybushpilot's view in the least. To me, no kids=many regrets. But that's the way it is for me. And at my age, I expect it will stay that way. But that's OK. I'm a believer of playing the cards as they were dealt. But I know that I'll finish out my life on this planet and have missed a great deal by not having kids. Such is life, I suppose.

cdn guy
 geoweb
Msg: 102
view profile
History
how many here are waaaaaay too young?
Posted: 7/25/2006 6:53:31 PM

and if you weren't waaaaaaaaaaay tooo young

That has to be the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!
 kywindwalker
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2006 7:27:53 PM
am 54 never wanted kids...have coached kids in basketball softball tennis and work in the school system...but never regreted not haven them...love to coach them...then send them home...
 fiestygg
Msg: 104
how many here are after 45 and without children
Posted: 7/25/2006 9:07:20 PM
Well - I made a concious choice not to have children in order to pursue a singing career - whic I did for almost 18 years... I never regretted it...my sister had one daughter and she now has 3 young ones... this are my nieces and nephews and it is enough...Needs to be a personal choice...
 browneyedgagirl
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/26/2006 2:12:50 PM
have coached kids in basketball softball tennis and work in the school system...but never regreted not haven them...love to coach them...

You had kids, they just called you coach, maybe even slipped up and called you "dad" every once in a while. A wonderful wonderful thing about being teachers is we make a difference in the lives of kids who might not have anyone to care otherwise.
 dawn1114
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2006 4:05:52 PM
I have moments of regret, but push them away because it just wasn't meant to be. I stopped trying NOT to have children in my 30s (late motherhood runs in my family, so I wasn't overly concerned), but never went to extremes in trying to conceive.

One of my jobs is teaching, and I meet so many smart, clever, considerate young people that I can't help but wonder what my kids would have been like. But such is life; I made my choices and I live with them.

It does make me think the talk about a new "lost generation" is more hype than reality. A lot of parents obviously did a very good job.
 Hockeyr
Msg: 107
hanging in there
Posted: 7/26/2006 4:39:56 PM
I read these threads and as expected, nearly everyone who responded re-affirmed their personal choice to not have kids. I don't remember reading too many emails from men or women who regret it. I guess if you always wanted kids but don't have them, at some point you need to accept the fact that you didn't have them and aren't going to. But I know there women out there who always had a burning desire to have kids and are crushed because they didn't. I seem to meet them at places like my gym and at work.

Well my brother is older than me and has two little ones, and I have a hockey bud that has two littles ones and is in his mid 50s. I am still hoping it might happen for me.. we'll see.

I was brought up in a large Italian family. Having kids seems to be a good way to have support when you get older.. I see it all the time in my family. And I always liked having a huge family around during the holidays. Saying that my neices and nephews are my kids never cut it for me.

Two more thoughts.. those who made comments about having kids that are grown and out of the house should not have responded to this topic. I don't think they can objectively comment on never having kids.

Secondly, I sometimes get emails from the older ladies blasting me for still wanting them.. one even called me "sick".. never could understand it. I guess she was mad because I was not interested in her.

Cheers
 dawn1114
Msg: 108
view profile
History
hanging in there
Posted: 7/26/2006 6:01:12 PM

I sometimes get emails from the older ladies blasting me for still wanting them.. one even called me "sick"

She's the one who's "sick." Or bitter, like you suspect. I hope you ignored her. These days especially, it's perfectly viable for older men (and women) to be good parents. People live longer, and if you're healthy you can offer as much, if not more, than a younger parent. Follow your heart. Good luck.
 gammaray
Msg: 109
hanging in there
Posted: 7/26/2006 6:08:13 PM
One of my brothers, decided at a very YOUNG age, NO KIDS for him. He met his "significant other/partner/mate and made it crystal clear he was having NO kids. She accepted this. A week after they were married, he got his vasectomy, he was 25.

They have no regrets and are active in a lot of activities that do involve kids. She's a teacher for one thing, elementary age. He has been involved in all kinds of organizations dealing with kids.

So, to each their own. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world. He and she got to enjoy them, when they were little. The peanut butter/jam sticky fingers!!! Yay!
 browneyedgagirl
Msg: 110
hanging in there
Posted: 7/26/2006 7:01:14 PM
hockeyr
Best of luck to you in fulfilling your dream. I have a friend who, I think, has also put a post on here. He cannot have kids of his own, but would gladly adopt. There is nothing sick about that. Men like the two of you, from what I gathered by reading your posts and profile, would be very good for some child who otherwise may not stand a chance in life.
 fltrkr21
Msg: 111
no children
Posted: 6/26/2007 10:00:31 PM
Hello people, I have read some different views on having children or not, and you know how I feel, to eaach his own. I am 56 years old and have no children of my own. I was married, but no children evolved from that relationship. Not from lack of trying. It sometimes really bothers me, because of my Grandfathers wishes that I the last male living with my last name, and I have failed to carry on the family name. I often think about it, but try not let it get me down. Now that I am wheelchair bound and the look of anyone ever wanting to get together with me is not that positive right now, and who ever I meet will more than likely be older and not want to start family a new. Plus at 56, I kinda think I'm getting to old as well for children. Just have to accept my dogs as my children.
Have agreat day all.
Fltrkr21
 cdn_guy
Msg: 112
no children
Posted: 6/26/2007 10:10:31 PM
I have the same problem as you, Fltrkr21 -- I'm the same age as you, have no kids (and am not expecting that I ever will) and I'm the last 'male' to carry on the family name of a very large branch of the family (goes back many generations). What that's done to me is cause me to 'drift' from my extended family and only show up to large family functions for "marryin's and buryin's". I just got sick of hearing the 'comments'. And as far as not having children ... yes occasionally I do miss not having my own (mostly at Christmas and times like that) but I've long since let it bother me to any extent. I'd rather save my 'worry' for things that I can do something about. Having young children at my age is just not something I'd care to do. Those days are over for me.

cdn guy
 moundpuppy
Msg: 113
view profile
History
no children
Posted: 6/26/2007 10:26:17 PM
have to agree with you cdn guy I am 55 and never married or have any kids. Love kids to death but can't and of no fault of my own so I never let it bother me. Like you said age is a factor with kids. best left for younguns to have them there younguns.

moundpuppy
 witicism
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/27/2007 2:01:32 AM
I have none, I love kids and they usually feel the same way. I think people talk so awful to their kids it hurts to listen sometimes.
they are such tender little creatures,not much point in feeling bad if you don't have any. I never found a sperm donor. Ha besides if I had a kid and they had a childhood like mine I would feel so bad. It they looked like me, I would feel so sorry for them. It would have broken me to see them have a bad time.. so maybe it is good I never had one.
 Fireflyj5
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/27/2007 2:59:20 AM
Someone here mentioned that kids take all your money,time and energy..True...but I wouldn't change any of that..No greater gift in the world for me..I have adaughter 22 and son16..and I wrk with 75 of Troubled badass kids in my city ..and I love each and everyone of them as if they were my own..But my brother and his wife both in 40's decided a long time ago..to be DINKS as kymber mentioned and they have No regrets.I guess to each thier own.You can't miss what you have never had..
 Fifi47
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/27/2007 3:03:08 AM
I am 49, no kids. I am a teacher so have definitely taught many children in my 20 yaers of teaching. I often wonder if I would feel the need to be a mother if I did not teach, since maybe my maternal instinct has been somewhat met. If I had married younger, maybe I would have considered adoption with my husband, but have not had the desire to adopt as a single parent.
 Girlflower
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/27/2007 5:08:57 AM
In my late50's no kids here either... knew at 18 I'd never be able to conceive, told the Ex when he proposed and he had no objections... the old expression is.... You don't miss something you never had, is soooo true.

When I divorced at 38 I was glad that I didn't have children in the realtionship becuase so many young folks are messed up by divorce these days..... one of the things I check for on profiles are the persons involvement in their childrens lives... it does effect how I view them. I wonder if they will think I'm "damaged" in some way for not having a "family" too. Does anyone else pull back from the "crowd effect" of a potential partner having Kids and grandkids?

Girlflower
 pickyone4u
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/27/2007 8:51:45 AM
I don't pull back from a crowd effect,but it's easy to feel like I have more in common with a woman with no kids.

I knew better than to have kids when I was young and stupid,(read wild,experimental,immature),and then when I was ready and married a woman who had two,it just didn't work out.I know I've missed out on a lot,but I also know better than to dwell on it.

When/if I find that rare one to share adventures with,there's always the option of adoption.But I'll always cherish when my neice called me "Uncle Daddy".

Of course I could be like some of the famous celebrities who father children well into their eighties...but I'd better have enough money to hire someone to play ball with 'em!
 moraima
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 9:56:33 AM
Have a child and there is a huge chance that you will automatically bond with that child. Don't have one and at the age of 45+ chances are you won't miss it much, or at all.

Sure we all have days where we wish we had this or that, but there are just as many days we could say thank God I don't have to take into consideration that I can't do this or than because of children.
 flowerforce
Msg: 120
Posted: 6/27/2007 3:32:29 PM
I am 59 and have no children. I have no regrets. It was just not in the cards for me. I am sometimes sad about it but life offers so much that I do not miss having had them.
I do work with aboriginal children a couple of days a week. I really enjoy them and my contact with them.
I would love to be a step grandmother.
 betterlate
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 8:20:01 PM
I just turned fifty and dont have children, I lost a daughter just over ten years ago and it almost killed me. She and I both got very sick with a blood infection, I made it she did not. She was seven months old and on that same day 5/27/97 a woman was arrested for leaving her infant in a trash can, the tornado in south texas wiped out an entire town ( one small infant was found alive in a tree) and a herion addict gave birth to an addicted baby in the mid cities. I was depressed for a very long time and all of my friends that were pregnant at the same time felt strange because they were so happy and I was so sad.

I feel that there are so many children on this planet that have nothing, that if I ever really get over the loss, I may adopt a child or open a animal rescue, but for now... I really cant be around children especially girls without thinking... that is how old Melody would be, or I wonder how she would look now... and even though I know that nobody makes it off this planet alive, that things are just not fair sometimes, I know in my heart that I have been blessed and do count my blessings... I am happy for everyone that has and loves children... and happy for the people that didnt have children for the wrong reasons... I really admire their strength. Once you start counting how old the child would be if you had one late in life, or have seen a child of an older couple, you see that both miss out on alot.

I feel the young are the ones that have the energy and patience for the children...

I have worked hard all my life and feel sad that I have no direct heirs to leave my estate to, but... there are lotsl of worthy groups that save children and animals that need funding too.

BL
 Singlemale1962
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 8:22:37 PM
Im 45 here no kids. Dont ind kids just never got that involved with a woman that I wanted kids with her.
 Steeleagle
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/29/2007 11:25:14 AM
I will be 45 in 3 days. I still dream of family and at lease one child. Is that so wrong?. I see a lot of people talk about having no children being happy, and I am glad for them. But part of me doesn't feel compete if I don't have a family. Of course i never been married. Sadly what I am afraid of is having to settle for someone to have a relationship with. she will not want to have a child but wants to be with me. part of me doesn't know what to do, because I feel a conflict inside of myself. As if I am giving up one dream, as so not to be lonely the rest of my life. Yet if I stay single and free, and can do as I please, I am afraid of sleeping single in that double bed. so how do I find solace in this situation?.
 curlygrl
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2007 12:28:57 PM
Wow this is awesome to see all of you-
I thought I was the only one sometimes.
I was never with someone I wanted to have a child with.
Now I am and it is too late .
 RehabAddict
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/29/2007 3:53:16 PM
AT 42, I had al little surprise. A bouncing baby boy. My sisters were like "Ohhhh... and you were almost alone" (I had 15 & 17 year old boys). At first I was like "Ya.. I know... but I soon realised that I was at a point in my life where I didn't want to be alone anymore. My boys were getting more indeopendant and were getting on with their lives. "See ya later dad can I have the car keys?" (Cats in the craddle?). So we were in the water, so why not have another. Boom.... had my GIRL!!! I'm 49 and can braid her long blond hair in a flash, soccer, barbies, school plays, kid parties, watching them discover the world around them, etc. I have a pretty full life and I'm loving every minute of it. Would have been nice if their mom wanted it too, but that's spilled milk.

Mr. Mom&Dad
BTW, it's WAY easier this time around, and don't fret about jumping on the beds this time. Probably because I've mellowed so much.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how many here are after 45 and without children