Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chinua
Msg: 26
aboriginal racism....still happening today?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
linne...not everybody is obvious.........but i agree about the BBB, and let the store know that you are contacting the BBB. and.....there are also newspapers.............
 longte
Msg: 27
aboriginal racism....still happening today?
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:29:32 AM
In Australia we have HUGE problems with both Petrol and Glue sniffing on some of the Aboriginal Missions

In shops in those areas, Aboriginal kids are always asked if they try to buy Glue or Petrol exactly why they want it

It may seem harsh, BUT, if it stops one kid from dying it is worth it

This only happens in those areas where kids are most at risk
 Babylonia
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:19:28 AM

They said absolutly not but nothing can be done if an owner of the store has a prefrence to each purchase and whom purchases it , but it all got me thinking could'nt a person who is addicted to sniffing just lie and say the same thing as me?

Actually, this isn't quite true, Britt.

The Human Rights Commission can answer your question. If one is a store owner and is open to the public, they cannot have a 'preference' to each purchase, or to which race/creed/sexual orientation/gender purchases from them. It is a violation. You could very well register a complaint over the incident and the store's owner could get into a lot of trouble.

You are protected, we are ALL protected, from racists and bigots in this country.

If I were you, I'd make an inquiry to the commission. Learn your rights, What happened to you was offensive and inappropriate, even IF there is a problem with 'sniffing' in your area. I happen to have heard of white boys sniffing before too, so singling natives out was nothing short of racial profiling and therefore, racist.
 Sversion1
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:55:49 AM
Seems like she "wanted" to look like a concerned citizen and that she was loonking out for your well being....but unfortunately in that situation, I don't think there is any way she could have...it would have been very insulting either way.
 ~$Brittney$~
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2006 6:51:20 AM
reply to sweettalkingwoman

I actually chose mixed race...which I am I stated above that I was metis but am proud of my indian heritage. I chose mixed race becuase my only other option is native american and well I'm canadian so that would be false advertising would it not? lol...thxs for the question I hope I answered it

~Britt~
 brassy brunette
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:23 AM
The issue of the POF sight not having the proper "categories" in rating people with Aboriginal heritage is first discussed here for anyone who is not aware of the differences. The POF moderators have also posted there recognizing that a change is needed: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts2598487.aspx

Information on The National Definition of Metis as defined by Metis Leaders:
http://www.turtleisland.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=41

Here is a link to some history of the Metis outlined by the Metis National Council :
http://www.metisnation.ca/who/index.html

UM
 Polly_G
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:09 AM
double post
 Polly_G
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:22 AM
Aboriginal racism is horrible here in Nova Scotia and even worse in places like Manitoba I hear. I'm status Oneida and actually dropped out of high school because of it. I just couldn't take the comments anymore. Where I don't look native they would say all kinds of stuff in front of me like natives are drunks, drug addicts, lazy etc. etc. we've all heard it.

I went to a native college and there were recruiters coming in that needed to hire natives locally most likely to get government contracts or something of the like. I went on one of those interviews and I was never so offended. They said stuff to me like if you were to get the job, we'd expect you to show up to work sober everyday.

When we moved to a new town my father was pulled over by the local police everyday for the first year we lived there. It was sheer harassment. Everyday, license and registration and where are you heading....he was heading home from work like he does everyday!

My mom had to take on the local junior high twice because they tried to put each of my older sisters into general programming even though their marks were fine (well once regraded by teachers who ACTUALLY read their papers instead of just automatically giving them low marks). By the time I got there though they were so scared of my mother they didn't dare try it with me.

These are just a few incidents...there were SO MANY MORE. The thing that annoys me most about it is its like racism against natives isn't considered real racism. Its like people think they are just stating fact so its ok when for the most part they are stating huge misconceptions and stereotypes. Yet if those same comments were made about a black person it would be immediately evident that it was a racist comment and action might even be taken.

Even within the native populations their is huge diversity depending on what province/state you live in, what reserve you live on, or if you live off a reserve completely (not to mention who your family is). I'm not sure of all the legislation in the states but I know the government legislation here actually creates a class system between on-reserve/off-reserve natives. They also consistently do things that make it difficult for natives to leave reserves if they chose.

To move from a reserve, you are almost completely disenfranchised as being native. It excludes off-reserve natives from participating in anything which impacts natives on a whole yet we are impacted by the decisions as well. There are a lot of off-reserve natives who could help their related native communities if they felt more included.

I actually wrote a thread about it ( http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3054536.aspx )on what it means to be a status indian in Canada which pointed out how the Canadian government classifies us and the classism has trickled down into the way we sometimes even view each other. It's like the government is encouraging isolation and in-fighting.

Off-reserve I have companies who want to use me as a demographic so they can show they are good affirmative action employers even though in reality they are not. I've stopped self-identifying because I have a problem with any company using me as a number to get mega bucks in government contracts while not creating any opportunities for me for advancement. I would self-identify if I felt that company deserved those funds though.
 yna6
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:40 AM
It happens. Some handle it with grace...others do not. The store I worked at did not accept status cards for tax exemption. Reason being, it only applies to purchases that are going to be used on the reservation. There wasn't one near us, so we knoew it was not going to be used there. Sure...there was some outcry about it...but when the legalities of it were pointed out, it was buried right quick by the complainants.
Had a mother bring her kid in and told the kid it was ok for her to buy a scratch ticket...contrary to law that does not allow selling tickets to minors. I refused to sell it to the child, while the mom freaked out screaming that "She is right there with her!" I pointed out the signage that stated we would NOT sell lottery tickets to minors, nor tobacco products, and asked her if it would be ok to sell her kid cigarettes too...seeing as she was "right there". She got the idea...bought the ticket herself, and allowed her child to scratch it. She won a small prize. I refused to cash it for the kid...but no problem with the adult. Ok...it may have been "cute" as far as the parent was concerned....but it was still against the laws, and I refused to put myself or the store into a situation whereby we were responsible for selling to a minor. We could lose our license, and or face fines for that. So why take a chance?
Refusal to sell to natives? Hmmm...I've heard of certain cases that were enforcable by law (whereby it is illegal to sell certain items to native...namely alcohol.) As far as selling anything off the counter, almost anyone has the ability to buy it. The store has the right to refuse to sell to individuals...but NOT based on race, religion, or sex.
 shore66
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/10/2006 8:58:06 AM

Why shore? With all due respect because IMHO her personal umbrage weighs little when it comes to something that is killing a disproportionate number of a generation of Native Americans. ... If she had articulated the degree of her community's inhalant problem and then mentioned this woman's purported racism I wouldn't be questioning her priorities.

Just because there is an abuse of inhalants that is damaging "her" community does not mean that she has to live her life as a representative of her race, and accept the sterotyping that assumes she doesn't have a legitimate use for aerosol products.

And I have grave doubts that an addiction epidemic can be solved, or even modestly affected, by clerks refusing to sell aerosols to someone they think "looks Indian."
 Polly_G
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:02:19 AM

And I have grave doubts that an addiction epidemic can be solved, or even modestly affected, by clerks refusing to sell aerosols to someone they think "looks Indian."

lol and Amen!
 chinua
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:39:17 AM
yna.........so..........you never had any problem with white people there??? that seems to be the problem in some places........you can have 5 white people freak on you;you get one of another race...........and remember i said 'some'.
And am I wrong.....its mainly kids that are sniffing....not adults........the OP looks like an adult to me. And what is going to happen if that clerk asks a person of another dark skinned race if they are native.........?
 Raveninns
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:44:55 PM
Polly, I read your previous thread...

It is scary and patently obvious that the majority of people are not aware of exactly why Native people are in the social/political/spiritual crisis that they are experiencing today. And that thread just underlined the biases and prejudices that are prevalent.

By the way, in reference to the other thread, I call myself an Indian, as a badge of honour.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:51:58 PM

every race has its share of idoits my question is this.. when will it stop? if ever? have you ever had this happen ? you don't have to be aboriginal to reply I would just like others opinons.
."Races" are a product of racial classification, and the belief in them is a symptom of poorly-developed reasoning skills. It follows, then, that only a superficial analysis would claim that race is a social reality.Yes, most Americans(meaning anyone from the Americas) are oblivious to the absurdities in racial classification.As a result of a continuous dissemination of the idea of race as a natural order, most people come to regard themselves as members of a race, and identify others racially. The American mind has been thoroughly racialized, and most people believe in "race" as firmly as they believe in a God. Most don't know nor understand that there is more differences WITHIN the construct of "race" than between them. Human variation is real, its obvious,its actual and factual. Cultural differences exist and are real. "Race", as the socially and pseudo-science constructed system of classification to which you refer simply is NOT anything but a social construction.
Again,the system of racial classification most widely used is in of itself racist and based upon ignorances. Those who ascribe to it like or not are in fact racist. It is anyones choice to be a racist but it is NOT based upon "fact" that the choice is made. Again, human variation is actual and factual,"race" simply exist in the minds of those who ascribe to it.
When will it stop?...when we end "racial classification". NO, I am NOT advocating the ending of cultural diverstity nor cultural distinction. Simply "racial classification" because it is absurd.
Cultural diversity and distinction should be celebrated because they are wonderful and actual even definable, "racial classification" as constructed,simply is not.
 ~$Brittney$~
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:19 PM
^^^^amen to that
 ~$Brittney$~
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:53 PM
oops amen to the girl above the guy can't remeber the name I'm such a fool sometimes
 mattmatt755
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/10/2006 2:34:06 PM
Arabs also receive a great deal of racism. It is not uncommon for a black guy and white guy to be discussing their dislikes of Arabs together in a conversation.
 Babylonia
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:14:11 PM
MarathonMan and Polly G, both excellent posts.

Any kind of generalization is based on ignorance and bigotry.

I cannot believe the crap Natives have to deal with. I mean, perhaps I'm the one ignorant here but I've never seen Natives as all "this" or all "that". I find them to be, for the most part, very spiritual people, very accepting of others and very willing to share their culture with others as a means of understanding and pride.

I've known many natives - one lived with my mom, renting a room, while he went to university. Another is my uncle who married my mom's sister. Still, another was my younger brother's best friend while growing up. Then there are countless others I've worked with, met through friends, etc. Maybe I'm the idiot...but...I just DON'T get it! I have a deep admiration for native cultures and have only once did I experience reverse-racism from a native woman as she assumed my reading of the book "Dreamcatcher" was an offense to her heritage because "I was a white woman who had no appreciation for the symbolism of the dreamcatcher to Aboriginals". But then, another native woman interceded in our group and told her she disagreed with her, and that she read the book too.

I see a lot of natives who are homeless here in Toronto, and who are visible with their addictions. This is because of the sheer inhumane conditions some of the reserves have, and all at the hands of our Federal Government. Canada is TERRIBLE in it's treatment of it's native population and has even been brought up on it by the U.N.

Did you know that as late as 1969 the L.C.B.O. would not serve Aboriginals? I was FLOORED when I heard that.

Some of the poorest communities in Canada are native, and they are continually made to acquiesce - think Ipperwash.

I dunno. I just don't get it. Britt, do the aboriginals in your community a favour and report this store owner to the provincial human rights' commission in your jurisdiction. They have no right to single you or others out like this. It is precisely because of these blanket and stereotypical beliefs that people continue to suffer. Natives suffer, and people like me suffer because I do not want others to think all white people think this way. Make a statement.
 Borknagar
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/18/2007 1:37:56 PM
Indians are funny, you basically say you don't want any help from white people yet you don't have any problem with collecting government welfare paid for by white taxpayers or coming to white owned hospitals for treatment, or buying white made goods that are tax free to you on top of it all. Also you claim to be interested in preserving the forest and fish stocks yet you want to fish all you want and chop down trees all you want when whites are supposed to have limits. Bunch of hypocrates.
 summerbout
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/18/2007 2:18:47 PM
Wow, I am not from Canada , I am from the United States. And all I read here is completely shocking to me. Call me naive, but I did not know that the Native American people were so poorly stereotyped, and so poorly treated. As one poster said, this also hurts the white person that is not the racist, because we are given a bad reputation, just by the color of our skin.

When will it all end, it is very sad.
I am so sorry that you were treated that way by the clerk. And I feel if inhaling aerosols is a problem in the area, then they should either question all purchasers of the product , or none of them. It is not right to single out one group of people because of race, and assume the worse. As we all know huffing is not just something done by Native Americans, it is done by people of all color skin.

And I feel the clerk and the owner of the store were both wrong. If I worked for an employer that asked me to treat races differently, I would either ignore his requests, or not work for him at all.

Sorry
 Breaker_one_nine
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 2:46:39 PM

Indians are funny, you basically say you don't want any help from white people yet you don't have any problem with collecting government welfare paid for by white taxpayers or coming to white owned hospitals for treatment

I was totally unaware that the hospitals here in Canada were only for whites.

Far be it from me to think that you may be a racist, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ---- you know the rest.
 FormidableQueen
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/18/2007 3:13:11 PM
Here in the State of Florida they have passed a law requiring that anyone purchasing aresol items such as spray paint and appear to be under 21 years of age, they are required to request ID without predjudice.

However, your story indicates she alledged it was due to your ethnic background. Certainly, you have every right to perceive this as an insult and act accordingly to combat this ignorance.

For in life if you do not address issues of ignorance, to combat the inflictions of emotional or economical pain and suffering. It would render you a worthless human being and unfortunately there are TOO MANY WORTHLESS human beings in our world.

So heed my advice, ignore the ignorant who attempt to detour you from "standing your ground in life" - always seek to educate, however do not waste your energy on the stupid as they will only drain your life force. The best you can do with stupid people "IS STRIKE FEAR IN THEM"! Works for me every time!

xemicangirl
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/18/2007 10:20:56 PM
~Britt~

This is my question to you;

Why didn't you f*ck with her? Like start acting paranoid and shaky; just like a drug addict. I would have let her ring the stupid can and hugged it for dear life, and when she asked I would have said "none of your business allright?"...
I could have had so much with that...I swear things like that don't happen to me...

Look girl, here is a thought for ya; most things you cannot control. Specially people's attitudes regarding race, creed, sexual orientation or any other stereotypical bs which is very much alive still at this time and age. What you can control is how you let such affect you!

Why are you letting a total stranger have that much power over you to the point that you will even acknowledge her poor judgement, giving it enough importance to get all offended about it? I sincerely doubt it was with such intent. I could almost bet she thought she was doing her job as she was told to do so.

How is it that what someone thinks or says about you affects you that much?
Remember, what they think or say about you, isn't truly about you. Yet, it says much about their character or lack thereof.

xemicangirl
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/18/2007 10:32:53 PM
NO, I am NOT advocating the ending of cultural diverstity nor cultural distinction. Simply "racial classification" because it is absurd.
Cultural diversity and distinction should be celebrated because they are wonderful and actual even definable, "racial classification" as constructed,simply is not.

I would if I could.

Actually, by celebrating diversity you are but perpetuating racial classification!
They walk parallel.

What is the purpose of celebrating diversity?

Firedflyz
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/19/2007 12:43:49 AM
hey

to much racism i am metis and when i tell ppl they say oh but ur sooo white
and in the summer im tanned ...i am me and im proud for the background :D
ppl should shut their mouths
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?