Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beautiful Deviant
Msg: 151
aboriginal racism....still happening today?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
As with any substance abuse...you cannot change a person, they must be ready to change. It is a vicious cycle...but those who step out of it do so alone because they have hit their own personal rock bottom.

There are deep seated issues that need to be resolved.
There are deeply held beliefs that need to be changed.

Do not assume that you can go into any first nation or indian reserve in Canada or the US and not meet with a wall. There are health centres and leaders who are trying to help the people. BUT, we, too, are fighting against 500 years of assimilation, attempted genocide, hatred, survival, struggle, government policy, abuse and stereotypes.

You cannot stop a drunk from drinking...you cannot stop a smoker from smoking...you cannot stop a drug user from using...no matter their skin colour, their race, their religion, their age, or their gender.

This is NOT just a native problem...this is a societal problem highlighted in first nations because it takes the focus off the same problems going on in the rest of the world.

Personally, if we have to focus on first nations...I'd rather see the positive stories. The stories of children learning their language and culture while the adults relearn languages lost or stolen. I'd rather hear about the economic development being created to make positive change. I'd rather hear about the women's groups and elders circles. I'd rather hear about the schools being built, and the students finishing their degrees and coming home to work in their communities. I'd rather hear about the outreach to local non-native communities to increase native awareness and build strong partnerships. Because that is the future...that is where are our survival is.

We see ignorance everyday...how about some enlightenment.
Dev
 stormee-d
Msg: 152
aboriginal racism....still happening today?
Posted: 5/8/2007 9:05:41 AM
Yes, the pills were strong ones that I would be leary to take. Since it was over ten years ago, no, I cannot recall the name of them. He & his associates did not hide what they did ... we talked and had good relationships.

If it makes you feel good to try to discredit me, fine. I would apologize for having different thoughts, knowledge, & experiences than yourself, but I am not sorry.
You are totally missing the point that I actually care about what I see happening. Would you feel better if I just ignored all the self-destruction I see?

Isn't it 'typical' to call someone who does not share your opinion "ignorant"? It ends here.
 Soylent_Green
Msg: 153
Posted: 5/12/2007 5:30:47 PM
Stormee-d

Sorry for being defensive to your claims and calling you ignorant. i just was going on what your statement was...nowhere in it did you say that the 16 year old was a pill popper..you made it sound like his friends were; and he was giving them pills. be clear please in a forum or you will be judged incorrectly...

I still believe it is the wrong approach for a convenience store clerk to question what a product is used for. Yes, they are only doing what they have been instructed to do by their employer, but they should have some integrity and be fair. No alarms go off in selling cigarettes to anyone dispite age qualifications even though that is a horrible substance that kills more than those who consume it . But now the Employer cares about the people and their problems because he asks what mouth wash is for??? Come on... but, hey, if it's that big of a concern, then don't carry the product unless that same question is going to everyone buying it. It's not an avenue that actually approaches the issues at hand with a solution to help or offer any way of helping; it sounds more like liability coverage from the store. Why are only Native's under a close watch for substance abuse...even in a Native community where there are white people living there too. Are those white people not tempted by drugs the same as Native's? Of course they are; but they aren't asked about it at the store...why??? Anyway, whatever. I don't like your point, and you don't like mine; so why bother right?? We appear to be on the same side of the fence but with different opinions so i accept that and am moving on.
 Soylent_Green
Msg: 154
Posted: 5/12/2007 5:45:31 PM
Another quick point i'd like to make.

when i was 11 and 12 i lived in a native community and my friends who all had dirtbikes and quads couldn't buy gasoline even if they pulled up on their toys to the gas station without being questioned if they are using the gas to sniff...so they would get me (their white boy friend) to do it for them... so, in would walk an 11 year old white kid with a jerry can and a pedal bike leaning up outside, and buy gas....no questions asked. Explain to me where the equality falls in that scene? Native kids on a quad can't buy gas without being questioned, but a white kid with a pedal bike isn't even blinked at? What a joke.
 NO_VNE
Msg: 155
Posted: 5/12/2007 9:09:46 PM
I can't believe this thread. I've been around more than a few abos and it seems to me they bring about 150% of their troubles on themselves!I've also seen a boong about 35 years of age soak a rag with gas and give it to a TODDLER to pacify it! I can understand why.
 db1otw
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 2:38:34 PM
NO VNE said

I've also seen a boong about 35 years of age soak a rag with gas and give it to a TODDLER to pacify it! I can understand why.

I know you can understand because the toddler was you.

You say you can't believe this thread, I can't believe your mother had any children that lived.

I am an aboriginal person and I can walk among the "newcomers" and listen to the jokes because they are unaware of my heritage, and then I start telling jokes that are directed towards their heritage. I find it funny when they become upset because I said something that they find offensive. I will then explain that I am a Native person and you shouldn't dish out what you can't take.

If I walked into a store and someone asked me what I was going to use the Lysol for I would say I needed to disinfect a certain body part that belonged to the offending clerks mother.

Native racism for some reason is tolerated. Just think of all the sports teams that have aboriginally racist names. Can you imagine if that went across the whole spectrum of races.

When people say the word Indian I correct them by saying "Indians are from India". The proper terms are FIRST Nations, AbORIGINAL, or Native.

Unfortunately aboriginal racism is alive and well.

They way I deal with it is to let the racists make their remarks and then point out my heritage and watch how their faces become redder than mine.

I have to go now and pick up my welfare check and head over to the bar to drink away my sorrows, then it's off to the gas station for a night cap.

Oh crap all my lysol is gone.
 sharpsunray
Msg: 157
Posted: 5/22/2007 12:27:57 AM
I deal with it everyday. I don't mind it really. I have been all over this big planet and realize it is not just in my back yard. I just go on doing what I do. What is that I do?

- Well, I am a college educated 'native' that works in the wireless communications field with a background in IT.
- I raise my daughter, well not mine really- I just claimed her. Her addiction dependent mom kicked out a perfectly good blonde haired, blued eyed white kid so I figured an Indian dude like me should keep her. She needs a house, health care and food. Funny how the tides have turned.
- I love driving Indian boats. There is nothing more satisfying then doing 1 buck 40 down a rez road in a Crown Vic. Well, that was in the past. I prefer asian FWD cars now, but I had some of the most classic Rez Rockets.

And last but not least, I love my Hobbema humour. For example- "Do you know why us Indians don't like Aspirin? CAUSE IT IS WHITE AND DOESN'T WORK WORTH A SH1T !"
 dirtbag2
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 3:18:22 AM
Indians are funny, you basically say you don't want any help from white people yet you don't have any problem with collecting government welfare paid for by white taxpayers or coming to white owned hospitals for treatment, or buying white made goods that are tax free to you on top of it all. Also you claim to be interested in preserving the forest and fish stocks yet you want to fish all you want and chop down trees all you want when whites are supposed to have limits. Bunch of hypocrates.

I'm white, and I don't think I've read anything that offensive in years!! Unfortunately it proves that there is most definitely racism directed at First Nations people.

When I was a little girl living up in Fort McMurray, most of my friends were Aboriginal. I studied their history and culture, learned how to do the beadwork, made birch bark canoes for my Barbies and stuff like that. I found the history of the People to be fascinating and beautiful, if not rather sad.

My man is First Nations... a proud, honest, educated, hard-working Metis man. His father was vice-president of the Metis Nation of Labrador a few years back. A few months ago I mentioned to my mom that he was Aboriginal and she launched off on a rant about " useless drunken Indians, don't pay any taxes and only take and take from the Whites, get a free education and don't have to work, they have a hundred administrators on the Musqueam reserve and still they beg for more money. waaaah waaah waaah I have no sympathy for those useless b@stards."

I was absolutely disgusted at her comments. I was deeply offended. My Man was being judged solely on his ancestry; she'd never met him and she doesn't know jack all about who he is as a man. I called my own mother a "racist biatch".. and then I told her right off. It was nearly six months before we spoke again... and to this day she's accusing ME of "destroying the family because you insist on dating loser Indians; why can't you date a nice white boy?". I had to tell her that I'd been there and even married one, and that my "loser Indian" man was ten times the man any of them could ever hope to be.

My son is adopted, and he is also Aboriginal. His birth mother has a full-blood Cree Indian mother and a Metis father. My son's birth mother became pregnant by a strapping blonde-haired blue eyed Danish man... my son has pale pink skin, deep round blue eyes, and white-blonde hair. But yet he is of First Nations descent.
I have made every effort to make my son-- he is 7 1/2 years old and is in Grade 2--aware of his Aboriginal heritage, and I encourage him to embrace it and celebrate it. My Man is teaching him about Aboriginal culture and history, and we read stories written by Native authors. I wish I knew more so that I could pass it on to him. My son is proud of his Aboriginal heritage, and I am glad to see that.
A few weeks ago they were studying multiculturalism at school and all the kids were asked what their 'ethnicity' was. My son proudly stood in front of the class and said " I am Aboriginal. I am one-quarter Cree and one-quarter Metis." ( I was sooo proud of him). His classmates responded " no way, you don't look Indian, you're lying". He was deeply hurt by that comment. He had enough intestinal fortitude to tell them that he was proud to be Aboriginal and that he didn't care what they thought, they could go to hell. I was sooo proud of him!!!!

Unfortunately, both my Man and my Little Man see racism on a regular basis, because they are both proud of their heritage. It saddens me greatly to see such ignorance on such a large scale.

peace out
M
 Rhett1
Msg: 159
Posted: 6/4/2007 6:19:51 AM
Dirtbag2: I have to say, I haven't read this whole thread, but I can just imagine what is being said.
I have to mention one point you made: That your S.O. and your son are proud of their heritage...I think that's fantastic, and I can't help but feel that too many Native Canadians aren't proud of theirs...or simply aren't being taught.

But I think the ball has been dropped by the aboriginal community at large, where pride is concerned. Why do the elders not stress to children and young adults the value of learning about their heritage? Unfortunately, recent history for aboriginals is not something that some want to remember...and who can blame them?

I am tired, though, of having it crammed down our throats that it is our fault. If my ancestors did something to an aboriginal person, why does that automatically mean that I am held responsible? I speak metaphorically, of course, but this represents the "war" between the Canadian government and the aboriginal people.

I have absolutely no problem with any aboriginal person, but as a community, there is a lot of work to be done.

This statement is amusing:
Indians are funny, you basically say you don't want any help from white people yet you don't have any problem with collecting government welfare paid for by white taxpayers or coming to white owned hospitals for treatment

First: Since when are hospitals only for white people?
Second: "White owned"? Hospitals are not "owned" by any individual, they are government-run facilities, in Canada, at least.
Third: "Help from white people"...umm, there are lots of white people on welfare too.
Fourth: "White taxpayers"...since when do only white people pay taxes? I'm pretty sure that Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, East Indian citizens also pay taxes.
 RalGash
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2007 2:15:24 AM
There was a problem a long time ago in a neighbourhood I lived in with young people glue sniffing plastic model cement and pam!

The store owner took it on himself to I.D every person buying these products if they appeared to be under the age of 18. He also put up signs that he does this.

I am mixed myself, I have some Mohawk in my ancestry; but I'm so pale it's just easier to tell people I'm white unless they then press with more details.

My grandmother was the one to tell me that I am part Mohawk on my mother's side and possibly Iroqua(sp?) on my dad's side. Then right after telling me this she made me promise to never tell anyone this! I asked why and she told me that I would be taken away and never see my mommy and brothers ever again. Too this day I still don't quite understand why she told me this.

Thanks to that I may be missing out on a part of my heritage.

On the upside, make sure no one supports that idiots store. An idiot like that doesn't deserve to be in business.
 Raveninns
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2007 3:20:05 AM
^^^^^^perhaps your Grandmother remembers the days when Native children were forcibly removed from their families and then placed in Residential Schools? Perhaps your Grandmother knew of the atrocities that were committed upon these innocent children?

Your Grandmother loved you very much. But those days are over now. Celebrate your heritage!!!

Cheers, Raven
 pof prize
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 2:19:24 PM
too funnyyyy only cuz it aint me i know it aint right but well a lil humor is good for my day so thanks for that

and as the racism against natives pffttt dont get me started!

one ex though: wtf was the deal with the tribes ther diggin up the road because it lead onto their reserve? i think that was last year i didnt pay much attention cuz it pissed me off and jus mad me think well shiut did a moat around their fin reserve and see how they like it then!

tell me this one...in sask with natives out numbering crackers by a huge number why the hell is it so one sided? so what in 200 years if we even exist by then are the lil white kids gonna be crying about how unfair our time is now and get whatever they want for next to nothing too? how about the free education?! the free housing and so and so on sure its on the "reserve" okay so what has that done cuz anyone ive spoken to about this a few teachers and cops etc. i mean seriously okay so give them what they wat and look at what its done ALL natives should be working just as hard and as much as anyone and everyone else i do not give a shiut about what happened however many years ago and ya know if ya read what that agreement said long ago ....well werent we jus sposed to give ya a blanket and some land no the entire world at your fingertips to dispose of? GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
if i had the chance for a free education i would take it! i will be paying for a few years for the one i have chosen and i dont mind that at all! its called working for what you want out of your life not having it handed to you!

as for the aerosol cans it wasnt her fault she was told to ask just doing her job saving lives apparently.

oh and before someone goes rampid on my post its MY post My opinion dont like it dont read it!
 Castaline
Msg: 163
Posted: 11/9/2007 2:31:59 PM
pof prize?

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, so won't bother trying to rebut any of it.

prize what?
 pof prize
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 4:19:44 PM
sweet thanks for that castaway.

so now that youve stated you wont rebut anything i have said you are going to start in on me personally? im sorry hun but the forum isnt about me or what my name is on here, the chica asked for others opinions and well i gave mine soo if you have any personal questions you would like to ask feel free to address them to me personally okay?

have a good weekend all!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 11:48:54 PM
Just a guess.. but I'm thinking that pof.prize's course of study at university is NOT English.
 rikeee41
Msg: 166
Posted: 3/28/2008 5:50:26 PM
hi..this one time when i was in shoppers drug mart. i was looking around and this man Comes up to me and says. what are you doing and i was looking at stuff . He yelled at the guys in the back room and said turn on the camra and i was like wtf. what did i do. . this other time we went to yorkton saskatchewan we went down to visit my brother and sister and we stayed at a hotel so then we decided to go ..to the water sides and the cleark was being so rude to us like we did something wrong. they said we couldnt go as a family so then were ok. so my mom droped us off. so then we hardly had any money so then we had to wait for some money. so then my sister and my brother went in and me. so then as my sister was waiting for my grandma to come and give us some money so then were ok. she watched the lady at the desk she was being so nice to none native people who came by so then. she asked to speak to the manager. she noticed that the lady was being nice to her so we started to notice how racist the lil town yorkton is . even as we were swimming the none native people where Gunning us off like we were doing somthing wrong
 peiganjan
Msg: 167
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:37:16 AM
misconception #1: Indians get free education
unless you are a card-carrying, treaty status member of your band, you can be (and often are) denied access to funding for education. why and how?
well, it's simple. really.
you can be treaty status indian, and still not qualify for any treaty "benefits" (housing, education, royalties gained from tribal profits, ect) unless you are a registered member of your tribal band. becoming a registered member of your band is next to impossible, and just one of the multitude of political loopholes in the system.
see? simple.
but, back to my first point.
even if you meet requirements to be entitled to receive funding for education, those dollars are limited and in high demand. students wishing to attend a post-secondary institution must apply for funding, and the majority end up sitting on a wait-list b/c there simply is not enough dollars to go around.
students are accepted for funding on a priority basis; for example, w/my band, students who have successfully completed a bachelor's degree, wishing to continue their education are priority 1, returning students working to achieve their degree and who maintain a pre-determined GPA standing are priority 2, students who are going directly from high school to post-secondary are priority 3, etc. etc. any student who does not demonstrate, within their first semester of schooling, an ability to maintain their academic standing are put on probation. if they are not able to pull up their socks, their funding is cut, they are required to reapply for funding should they wish to continue schooling in the future, and they are bumped to the bottom of the priority list.
contrary to popular belief, there is not a huge pot of money just sitting there, waiting to be doled out for anyone who asks. further, the dollars that are allocated are dependent on the student's status (single? parent?) and economic situation (housing, etc). the money given is not enough to live on--usually covers the cost of tuition, books, supplies, and a meager amount towards living expenses. this means that--just like any other student--they must also work to get by while in school.

misconception #2: Indians don't pay taxes
unless you are employed on-reserve, or for an off-reserve branch of a tribal administration, you pay full taxes. most reserves are not booming economic utopias, with many opportunities for employment; hence, in order for us to build a successful career, we need to leave the reserve. and pay taxes, just like anybody else.
goods and services, tobacco and gasoline are not taxable on-reserve; again, you must be a card-carrying treaty status Indian to receive this benefit. and since most of us don't reside on-reserve--we live and work in urban centers--this is hardly a "perk" for us.

misconception #3: Indians get free housing
back to my first point (are you singing along, now?); you must be a card-carrying, treaty status Indian, a member of your band, AND live on-reserve to qualify for housing. on top of that...there is limited housing available, and what does exist is generally not liveable. since there is little-to-no economic advantages to residing on-reserve, the benefit has become moot for the majority of us.

misconception #4: Indians get free cash hand-outs as part of our Treaty agreement
well....maybe that's not a misconception.
our tribe did receive an annual pay-out. and we still do--exactly as outline in paper.
our annual pay-out?
$5 each.

what many of you are criticizing are our Treaty rights. we did not establish them, the government did.
Treaty 7 (the territory that traditionally belonged to my people, the Blackfoot) promised us these things (along w/health care) "as long as the rivers run, the grass grows green, and the sun shines". this was part of the conditions of the "trade"; what we believed was given in good faith.
there are a lot of other issues related to land-title agreements, etc as outlined in the Treaties, but that is a whole other ball of wax.

i got tired of reading all of the false claims about how much "free" stuff we're given, and just thought i'd clarify a few things.
 jjlmrken
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2009 3:08:12 PM
Hey, if u wanna look at from another perspective...do u recall a corner store in the area of downtown that was busted a few years back that was actually selling their products to only substance abusers....hmmm...this world is not a nice place and as aboriginal people we need to be more positive and stay above the hate...its not our problem to react to that kind of ignorance...its what they want...there are a lot of aboriginal people on assistance and why is that? If you ask me they are entitled to more...and plus more..this is our land and if other people dont like that, again, your problem...we were the first people here and we were almsot killed off...they made a dependent nation, stripped the people of the land, parents and their homes and now they are ****ing cause our population is booming and will continue to...who's laughing now??? Rasicm is part of life..get over it...if u dont like it, do something about it...seriously, every culture and race has been through some form of genocide and they get over it...there are tons of people that are screwing it up for everyone else...how about the correctional officer that detains inmates and screws them at the same time, they want to have relationships with gang members..or the correctional officers that cruise kiddie corner and ellice and sargent to break the law and pay for sex? How about the child abuse that goes on in foster care systems that are saving aboriginal children from their parents? How about the chiefs that rent hotels and smoke crack with aboriginal youth running from foster care? Words are words and like opinions they come and go...why are those solvent abusers doing what they are doing? Did you know that solvent abuse is the most difficult substance to quit, unlike alcohol or certain drugs, solvent abuse has the worst effects on any human body. Yes, there are many issues that are involved in the aboriginal community and there are a lot of alcoholics, drug abusers and solvent abuse and welfare cases...cfs and the list goes on...the truth hurts...now its time to recognize and do something about it...do you know how to make a change or how to take action? Cause I sure as hell do and no matter how much talking and how much time i am always there for my people and I know a lot about why things are the way they are...we could go on and on and on...
 yna6
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/8/2009 3:59:36 PM
^^^good post...but it also describes many other people, not just natives.
We can also look at it from another viewpoint, which has been validated already. Many tribes gained lands and populance by assimilation, war, intermarriage, etc. etc. This is historical fact right from the elders. A new tribe came along and did the same thing...a tribe called "Europeans". Just because their skin colour was different doesn't mean the tactics were not the same as those natives inflicted upon one another!
But...the past IS past and need not be addressed in ths forum. We already know that natives have to "go white" in order to survive in the 21st century. They cannot live as their ancestors did. They are way too acclimatized to "European" living and technology...including that computer you are posting with, the internet, the electricity, etc, etc.
The only way to gain these things are through working and paying for them. $$$ speak.
There are many people out there who can be included in the same boat as any of the problems you have listed. It reaches across skin colour and race and religion.
One "group" need not have "specialized" programs for them...all people need access to them. That is called "equality". Until we reach that, we'll always have problems, and people saying they are not being treated the "same" because of...pick a reason.
 compleat_man
Msg: 170
Posted: 1/8/2009 4:29:18 PM
yes there is racism..because someone described as 'native" in Canada will get 100% of their university or college tuition paid for by government, solely based on RACE..

while a (possibly brighter, more 'deserving' white/black/Asian person will have to work their butts off at part-time, summer jobs, etc. to pay their own way..)

that is racism..favoritism based solely on race..sure, you can explain to me why it's "really not" ?

also you didn't have to pay sales tax on your purchases, while the non-native person in front of or behind you did, buying the same products.? hmm, smells like racism? or pay any income tax on income earned on a rez? why? race, right?
 HumorMe*
Msg: 171
Posted: 1/8/2009 4:37:20 PM
Britt,

The answer is simple. Picket the store and make sure other "Indians" or whomever DO NOT buy from it. Or try to contact his mangers/(corporation who run the store)...or sum sh$t (excuse my language). You could do more then complain, take some kind of action. In this day & age, local justice, has to be taken through the "correct methods", unless you don't mind being label psychotic.

But keep in mind that this is NOT your problem UNLESS you CHOOSE to do something about it, understand? So unless you're going to picket the store, call the manager...or such.....*......then lay it down, their "way of thinking" is not YOUR burden. Just experience it for the time being, settle it, catalog it in the back of your mind and continue. But don't look to self-soothe. They (the small minded owner) isn't worth it, ok? Unless of course you're going to do something about it.

ipfreak
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2009 5:54:01 PM

I know most people still believe that all aboriginals are on wel fare and do drugs but you know what thats not all of us. every race has its share of idoits my question is this.. when will it stop? if ever? have you ever had this happen ? you don't have to be aboriginal to reply I would just like others opinons.

was "aboriginals" on welfare before the european settlers came to this place now called "Canada"?
 TooShadows
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 4:47:14 PM
I thought I'd bring this one back up instead of starting a new thread. I recently found that racism can come from Aboriginal people as well.

I'm currently working as a project manager for a house construction company on a remote reserve in northern Manitoba.If you watch the 2011 season of "Ice Road Truckers" you'll see some of these reserves. We build and renovate homes for the population here. There's about 500 people here,and less than 2 dozen whites.

I tend to treat people as equals,and it's been no different here. I treat everyone with courtesy,dignity and respect,especially the elders of the rserve. Because of this I've made a lot of friends,and even the men working for me consider me one of the guys and are always inviting me on fishing and hunting trips.

One big problem I have is people wanting building materials. What makes it worse is when councillors make promises to people,and one councillor is really bad for it.

Last week a man came and asked me for kitchen cupboards and a countertop. I told him I didn't think I had extra. On Monday he cornered me on a job site and asked when he could pick up his new kitchen. When I told him I didn't have anything he got mad and said that a councillor had promised him a new kitchen. I said the councillor had no business making promises with materials that weren't his,and the man drove off mad.

Later that day I was summoned to the band office. The man had written a letter saying my exact words were,"That effing councillor had no effing business making effing promises!"
Swearing at a local resident is the worst thing a white person can do up here,and some have been ejected off the reserve for doing so. I then had to explain my acxtions and defend myself,which was pretty hard.

Luckily the homeowner had been a witness and backed me up instead of agrreing withe letter's author. But even several of the guys working for me were called in and asked if they'd ever heard me swearing about anyone.

I feel I was the victim of racism. The resident knew he could have me kicked out by saying I swore about a councillor and tried to do it,all because he was angry that I wouldn't give him what he wanted. Now I realize this was just one incident,but it's still upsetting.
 ThePrettyReckless
Msg: 174
Posted: 9/30/2011 12:46:00 AM
You know... I never bought into stereotypes as a teenager, I thought all these things were fabricated. Then I grew up and moved to the city and was shockingly surprised at how often I saw stereotypes being fulfilled. Gay men with limp wrists and lisps, drunk natives, black men speaking what could only be considered english in a very very loose sense of the word, a large percentage of homeless people that were actually drunks/junkies/hookers. I still don't believe acknowledging the truth in stereotypes makes me racist.

However, making assumptions or judging an entire race because of those stereotypes would, and is wrong. I have heard though(especially in neighborhoods where there are a lot of homeless people) that some grocery stores refuse to sell lysol and other similar products on their own, or without a minimum cash purchase of a certain amount.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2011 2:30:38 AM
well living in scotland i can also say that the native people here
usually do not do well either

all the stereotypes are trotted out about drunken, toothless, deep fried mars bar eating,
junkie, wife/husband/partner beating scot constantly in the press and on tv

new comers who have corner shops look at us with disdain and reach for the white lightning cider (£1.50 for 2 litres what a bargain) as soon as you enter their shops

and who really cares? not i. not a lot of the population

the very precious ones get all upset and angry and write letters to publications

lol

anyway did you hear the one about the scotsman, the englishman and the irishman...........
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > aboriginal racism....still happening today?