Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bellydanza
Msg: 49
Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I never studied art or knew anything about it, til I went back to college and took Humanities, now i'm in awe of it. I love Raphael, Bottecelli.

What amazes me is the amazing sculptures of that Renaissance time period. Like the Ecstacy of St Teresa by Bernini. The details are amazing. And to think they had such primitive tools to work with at that time and could create such amazing detail is mind boggling
 Laurette42
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)
Posted: 1/21/2009 3:46:08 PM
this is a good question....I like Dali and love Van Gogh but I have to say Degas is one of my most favorite artists. I love his treatment of human form. But my most favorite is Clyfford Still. I fell in love with him at the Hirshorn Art Museum in DC.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 4:13:12 PM
As far as Fine Art, It is also Van Gogh... but not just because of his work, but because of his struggles. Just like any type of art... Music, Art, Acting... and so on.... When someone puts their heart and soul into something... this is beautiful.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Favourite Artist(s)
Posted: 1/30/2009 6:45:37 PM
Cave painters and period petroglyph-erists for the simplicity and originality of their creations, and ancient geoglyph-erists and megalith-erists for the outrageous magnitude of their work.
Special mention to the creative minds behind all the astronomically oriented pyramids for their perspective and grasp of scale.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/30/2009 6:58:28 PM
Picasso. When I look at his work, I wonder what kind of women he fantasized about.
 seattlerain11
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/31/2009 9:45:23 AM
Without a doubt, my favorite living Fine Artist is James Kelsey.

Other sculptors include:
Andy Warhol
David Smith
Alexander Calder
Rodin
Brancusi
and
Marcel Duchamp

Fave Painters would be:
Picasso
Dali
and
Matisse

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:55:35 PM
Edward Weston, his discipline is amazing. Dedication to the image and the amount of work he put into it...and lets not even talk about what an incredible printer he was...very few can touch his printing skill with the exception of Paul Strand/Caponigro.
 rider of tubes
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:30:47 AM
Definition of fine art changes for me all the time. At first I was into realism like Richard Estes, then I got into impressionism like monet and Cezanne. While in school I look up to my classmates that do graphic designs that could pass as actual published pieces. I also like Shepard Fairey, he defined art and design and brought street art into mainstream.

I guess I have no favorite, I just get 'INSPIRED.'

It's also nice creating art/designs that classmates and instructors appreciate.
 vinylspinal
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/2/2009 12:38:05 PM
David Shrigley. He gets at the crazy, violent and unconscious stuff in a way that I don't think the surrealists ever did. Check out his short animated film "Who I Am and What I Want" - it's available on all the usual shared websites like youtube, I think.
 4the4ems
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:58:22 AM
I've always had a terrible time with favorites. I've no favorite color, no favorite band and no favorite artist.

I do very much love Gerrit van Honthorst with the way he uses candle light to illuminate his work.

I love the way Eyvind Earle can make the world look so colorful, so spooky, and for some reason so lonely at times.

Kent Ipsen did things with glass in the 70s that seemed so pure and true to the medal itself. (I know some will argue that it is a craft and not a fine art, but I see things the way I see them)

A WPA artist Walter Edward Speck, whom I had never hear of until I was fortunate enough to find a piece on ebay some time ago. The way that he portrayed the feelings of the common man during the great depression and the dust bowl, just amazing.
 Chil1967
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 5:22:24 PM
Favorites are so hard to choose because there are so many different styles of art. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can capture what they want in a way that will inspire others. Limiting my self to 3 I'd have to choose Money, Group of 7 and Robert Bateman.
 The PigWig
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 6:09:11 PM
Jackson Pollock

Emily Carr

Van Gough

and many more
 raceme
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:40:23 PM
I love this discussion!!

This is very hard to do - pick a favorite. I don't think I could single one as a favorite.
I would have to pick a favorite in a category or something they did.
I love Alexander Calder. I am so thankful he made his work. It makes me happy.

I have many favorites in the New York School and Pop. Love early Rauschenberg.
One of my favorite pieces ever is Monogram.

Jean leon Gerome, I love Thomas Eakins

Super in love with Emil Carlsen (still-life painter)

Love Pierre-Paul Prud'hon - big time!

Love Leonardo - he taught me line

Love ...........
Please stop me.
 raceme
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/3/2009 7:49:22 PM
Oh. You asked why.

Calder - Joy - pure joy. He's been my hero since high school (Pollock too)
I will start a Calder thread, I think.

New York School - Rauschenberg. Made me think. Made me want to be an artist.
Monogram: has so many levels of things to consider. Makes me sad, conflicted and
feel a lot of emotions at once.

Gerome: this painting called "An Arab and his horse in the desert"

John Singer Sargent: A painting called "Sulpher Match" one of my ALL time favorites

Eakins: Love his figurative mastery and subject.

The drawings of Pierre-Paul Prudhon - magnificent - look at his drawings and you'll be hooked.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)