Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DSMTraveler
Msg: 795
view profile
History
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?Page 33 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

Some might say marriage is a contract, but it's a contract of love and commitment not finances and material things.

Marriage is a social action that defines certain legal obligations upon each party -- usually in regards to making bonds of kinship or family. Marriage is even defined as 'the state of being united to a person in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law'. The original purposes of marriage were financial - the uniting of families, land, assets - and love had nothing to do with marriage.

Marriage is a contract --- which is an agreement of specific terms by two (or more) parties (i.e. individuals) delineating intentions or obligations. For instance, in a 'traditional marriage' he works and brings home the money while she cares for the home and children -- thus their obligations are defined.

Given that marriage is taking many more forms than the 'traditional', isn't it a good idea to be able to define expectations and obligations a little more explicitly? Isn't it a good idea to have your own imput into this legal situation?
 letzgo4it
Msg: 796
view profile
History
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?
Posted: 1/10/2012 2:24:40 PM
How true. I do not plan to marry again. I cannot blame anyone who would request one - on either side. You are so right about having all of the details clearly defined. That way, no expectations that are unrealistic.
 wiseguy_89
Msg: 797
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2012 2:33:48 PM
Its always good to sign a prenuptial agreement.At least I can ensure that girls who cheat or lie are not the ones I am spending my life.
 garvey14
Msg: 798
Posted: 1/10/2012 3:37:02 PM
not only would I sing one I would absolutely never get married without one again! With divorce rates being what they are there no guarantees in life. So why not take the precaution and get one done. Women are likely to say I will only marry for love. I say bullshit. Once things hit the skids it is all about moving on. I do not ever want to start from scratch again.
 Discordiaa
Msg: 799
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2012 5:01:51 PM
Yes.

I don't see a problem with protecting what is yours, especially if both parties enter into a relationship with children. If anything were to happen, I wouldn't want to touch anything that at some point should go to their children, and vice versa....
 kailania
Msg: 800
Posted: 1/10/2012 5:52:05 PM
I would sign one if asked to.
why shouldnt someone want to protect their assets.
it has nothing to do with love or trust.
it has to do with past experiences.
and the knowledge that even if you love one another...
things can change.
 sweetonvaquero19
Msg: 801
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2012 6:15:07 PM
No I absolutely would not , its is asking for trouble , just as I would not make any man sign one for me . It is a preposterous concept marriage may not always be forever but you should have the maturity to be civil and end it like adults .

Much Respect,
TCB>
 ontario_woman
Msg: 802
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2012 6:16:31 PM

I would sign one if asked to.
why shouldnt someone want to protect their assets.
it has nothing to do with love or trust.
it has to do with past experiences.
and the knowledge that even if you love one another...
things can change.

This pretty much sums up my feelings too.

It's romantic to think that we will last forever, but I'm a realist.

People change, grow apart, etc. You don't know what the future holds...
 Rain587
Msg: 803
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:00:08 PM
I would sign too. I live in a state that says what was yours before a marriage is still yours at divorce EXCEPT if you make it a part of your current marriage and then they can get a percentage. I learned the hard way.

I don't see myself getting married again but not against it. I hope if I do that agreement will never have to be used.
 jallensc
Msg: 804
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:17:57 PM
Sure. The chick could go crazy at the drop of a hat, and there I am with all my knowledge.
Then I'm up against some sob lawyer and most likely a biased judge. Why wouldn't you put forth these safeguards? Naive are the people who think so primitively in that nothing major could possibly happen. Best to work out every last detail of the biggies, it's only smart. Those who wouldn't sign, yet they would sign a marriage contract..... yeah goofy is right.
 Business_AU
Msg: 805
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:00:57 PM
I wont need to, but I would write one up if I had a ton of money. Face as much as we want to say women are strong and equal. The second a women is hurt everyone, women and men side with her. She gets the house, kids, and money.

Ask Tiger if he thinks he should have made his ex wife sign a prenup? Seriously you dont think she didnt know he was partying with that many girls every where?
 tossingrabbits
Msg: 806
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:35:17 PM
Yup.
With young kids yet to raise I can see a woman easily out pacing me in savings and accrued assets during the duration of the relationship.(at this point in time.)Whether it ends in divorce or not!
So if I were a savvy gal that thinks things through and makes good plans for the future,a gal I would be attracted to,would want discuss this type of an agreement.
And if ends in utter bliss and forever and ever. BONUS for the both of us!
I don't want her stuff,savings,and future security.........
Just the way i see it.
My desire is to add to,not take from.No matter how hurt I could be in the future.
 larry_hoover
Msg: 807
Posted: 1/15/2012 10:03:49 PM
Many women here are quick to say, "if i am not named on his property why should i have it". What they forget is that when they go through the divorce process, its the lawyers that instigate and make all these promises about how much they could get from the divorce. Women being the emotional beings they are, will quickly buy into this as faster than you can blink. I have never been married but after witnessing what my friends have gone through, i would never marry a woman without a pre-nup.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 808
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2012 11:43:25 PM
In a loving relationship, I won't be marrying her for her money so YES.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 809
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 4:25:35 AM
ur living in a dream world..pre-nups are a must if the financial situation is greatly skewed to one side. After 10 years or so..they rarely have an impact anyways..so ur eternity would still be in effect.In a marriage, guess what the #1 discussion is about?? (MONEY)!! sweetheart...so wake up and smell the roses..u can still feel the 'purest of love'...
 pitufina_77
Msg: 810
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 4:29:21 AM
YES.

In fact, after what it was like to divorce my ex, and how he wanted to leave me without anything, I won't ever get married again without one.

Next time around, I will be the one demanding the prenuptial agreement.
 playfulpete
Msg: 811
Posted: 1/16/2012 7:35:26 AM
Yes,Yes,Yes.It only money and possesions.If you truly love someone all the other stuff doesn,t matter
 Maleman999
Msg: 812
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 8:45:25 AM
I believe in the concept of a pre-nup, but I'm wondering how much legal weight does it really have. If one of the parties wants to be vindictive, can it ever be challenged in court? If so, that pretty much defeats the purpose of a pre-nup. As far as child support. a pre-nup means nothing. The court alone decides what the child support payments will be.

I find it hard to believe all of the stories I hear and read of people losing everything in a divorce and the ex-partner getting everything. I thought the basic principle in divorce is whatever assets the couple accumulates together during their marriage is divided 50/50. How does this get changed to 100/0? Wouldn't a marriage license be like a pre-nup if all accumulated assets are divided 50/50?
 seven15
Msg: 813
Posted: 1/16/2012 1:53:11 PM
In a heartbeat!
 legnakrad
Msg: 814
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 5:03:33 AM
Yes I would and I would want my partner to do the same. I would hope to be in a relationship that lasted forever but there is no guarantee and I wouldn't want to lose my hard earned cash if it ended.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?