Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 catman40
Msg: 101
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?Page 5 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
yeah . the person who does not have anything don't care what they lost it's the one WHO does have something . take me . I have built my life and poured my hard erned money into what I have . IF , a woman does not thing a pre nup is important . You are very very wrong . the person you are living with can drain your bank account , take your life and turn it upside down . I have heard the horror stoies of how this has happen . IF YOU have crap and the other person has everything . THEY WILL take everything you have . once you are burned in a bad realtion you are always fearful in your next relationship .
 eye8one2
Msg: 102
Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?
Posted: 3/19/2006 7:30:41 AM
Sad truth even in families money divides. I always thought that blood was thicker then water but in truth, money is thicker then blood.

Marriage in a sense is a contract entered into by two but without a prenup it is a verbal agreement which has no legal basis and puts the one with the most to lose at risk of being taken advantage of by the other.

Id think that two people, entering into a marriage, should want to define what will happen upon the demise of the relationship. They should both want to protect themselves, their families and in some instances legacies and family tradition.

For one thing, say in my family their is something that is traditional and is meant to be handed down in succession within the family. The couple split and suddenly the legacy is in jeapordy because of vindictiveness or just plain greed/selfishness. This is a two way street. Two people in love who have respect for each other (at least prior to marriage),should not feel this is wrong. Establishing an agreement that provides an equitable split of the valuables and so on upon a divorce, is something both parties should want. Personally, I do not think this is something that two or one person in a relationship with true intent would question.It would be important for both to have legal advice regarding the articles and provisions within the prenup and work at that prior to entering into the contract of marriage.

Today people get married and into relationships for the reasons. This is why the divorce rate is so high. Ive known couples who have dated or lived together for years, having lot's of problems and knowing they will eventually split but decide to marry to get gifts and money from family and friends.
 johnnyfour
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/19/2006 7:40:32 AM
anyone who doesn't is a dumb@ss my mom has cleaned people out for half or everything
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:28:53 AM
No, nor would I ask someone to sign one. If you're that worried about your money maybe you shouldn't sign one either. It might make you work a bit harder at making the relationship last. To me a prenup says you know it's going to end and you just want to make sure it doesn't cost you for the time spent trying to make you happy.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:37:05 AM
Question, if you have everything when you get married, and your mate has everything also. Then you all get rid of some stuff, who keeps what in the end. Say you had a big t.v. system you keep because your mate had a small one, yet why you were toghter you both got a bigger system.(So you got rid of the other one.) Now if you split up, who gets the system.
What good is a prenuptial on a matter like that?
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:39:38 AM
at 106....
whoever bought it keeps it... unless something else is agreed upon.
Should be no problem as people have reciepts of major purchases

prenup is really not for that kind of stuff.... as a big tv system is not really
an asset
It covers more your 401K, your investments... real estate and that kind of thing.
 sammysalt1
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:46:41 AM
I just put that, because most people don't own much, are think of 401K, and investments. Most people are good to own one place. The things people fight over is crazy.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:51:37 AM
Sam they really work best for people who are older and
not just starting out. Usually by middle age most people
have collected some assets.. if even a 401K

My doctor when he divorced told me his wife got half
his 401K...
They had only been married 4 years...
he had been putting into his 401K for 25 years.

She also was to get child support on thier 2 kids for the next
18 years.... he told me it came to over a million dollars.
She also kept the house, which she could afford now
with the money she was getting from him. He was very
upset and hurt. All he did was complain.....
so I made sure he didnt charge me for office visists when I had
to be his therapist.
For some reason he told me all his issues in his life.
Guess he trusted me... and needed someone to talk to
?

some women and men plan these things out....
so everyone has to be careful as you cant tell when meeting someone
what is in their heart
 sammysalt1
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/19/2006 9:03:26 AM
I live by one rule do on to others as you would have them do on to you. I think its a good rule.
 Fran_Gal
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/19/2006 9:11:40 AM
if life were only so easy
 Evilenchantress
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:02 AM
I signed a prenup before I got married and had no issue with it when he asked. Our prenup had a 5 yr clause in it. If the marriage lasted beyond the 5 yrs, the prenup was null and void and everything would be divided equally.

The marriage lasted 4 yrs. If I was that concerned about money or material possessions I could have waited it out another year but I didnt. Some things in life are more important to me.
 sweetebony
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:32:56 AM
I thought about this some more and I would be insulted if someone asked me to sign a pre-nup. I would feel like A: They were judging my character. And B: They don't have much faith in the marriage.

With that said I realize my own hypocrisy because if I was the main breadwinner with much or all of the assets and marrying Mr. Joe Dirt----Bad Credit, than I would like to have assurance that my property would be protected. (That's highly unlikely I'd marry into that situation however.) Not that money is everything but I don't want to be living the rest of my life in the po' house!

I think if you really have so much doubt that you would consider getting a pre-nup then you should re-evaluate your relationship with that person and probably not get married. JMHO anyway.
 philrook
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:53:20 AM
Pre-nups are interesting.

If the cost of a pre-nup is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're protecting then its well worth it.

My buddy had ownership of his families assets, million dollar cottage, couple of homes (Toronto, Ottawa), boat ... you know how it can be when you're parents are getting up there.

So he falls in love with this woman who just came out of a horrendous divorce. They get married, no pre-nup, have a kid and now shes out of there. 4 years later and she now has a cool couple million in assets. He lost the one house and the cottage and not only is he screwed but so are his parents.

I think he should have had a pre-nup.
 Lynlin1957
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:55:51 AM
Frankly I would sign a pre-nup, and list everything I already own right down to my costurme jewelry. I have no intentions of being forced to sell my house because I made a bad relationship choice.
 eye8one2
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:09:08 PM
you think also that with a prenup you should also get a living will...
 mexblackguy
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:11:47 PM
MOST CERTAINLY.

i would stand to lose a LOT if i didn't.

and damn sure don't want everything i've worked hard for taken from me amidst a divorce. that just ain't right.
 Funnyface4u2004
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:56:25 PM
A Prenuptial agreement is just that ..........an agreement. Terms are to be set and agreed on before set in stone. Personally, it would not really bother me. If my partners terms were unreasonable, then probably not a great idea to get married anyway. You don't go into a relationship looking for what you can take away, this only insures that stays that way. Anyone that has gone through a divorce nows exactly how much easier things would have been if an agreement had existed. The last thing my lawyer said to me was "Good luck, make better choices and get a prenup next time", lol.
 tchriffic
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:12:46 PM
There is absouloutely nothing wrong with a pre-nup! When you marry someone you love, hopefully they are mature enough to understand that we all need to look out for ourselves. Yes, I agree, when I marry, I want it to be for forever. When you initially get married that is how you feel, that your marriage will last forever. However, things happen. You spouse may cheat on you, or change into a different person. If that happens and divorce is the outcome, you are better to protect you finacnes that you had coming inot the marriage. Afterall, when I marry someone, it will be for their heart, not for their money, and I hope they feel the same about me. So therefore, they have no business being a part of my finances that I had prior to the marriage or finances bestowed to me from within my family, nor do I have any business touching their posessions they had prior to the marriage. Now I think anyone who is unwilling to sign a pre-nup is bieng slighty immature and not ready for such a grown up institution as marriage. Marriage is about give and take and RESPECTING each other's opinion and values and decisions. Marriage is not about money, so there should be no problems signing a pre-nup and moving on with your life. After all, there are so many wonderful things to look forward ot about marriage. Why waste your time being petty over such an insignifigant thing as as pre-nup. I think they should be required in all marriages. That would cut alot of the court battles down!!!!
 Foxxphyre
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:20:26 PM
^^ Very much agree. Good hollywood example... At the end of "Liar, Liar" after the court rules in favor of the wife (a gold digger) and Jim Carreys character realizes that it was a bad thing she won, especially regarding child custody.

Kinda off topic, as a pre-nup was included... point is, with divorce, bad people can win, so protect yourself.
 Desdemona6
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:56:28 PM
Would I sign one the next time around? Yes, definitely.

I married at 23. My ex and I loved each other and had the best of intentions. But sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts to work on the relationship, things fall apart. Am I proud that I'm separated at the age of 27? No. But am I proud that I walked away from a bad marriage relatively unscathed. However, I am upset by the amount of money I had to pay him considering that, financially, he brought nothing to the marriage.

The one benefit of a prenup is that it protects both parties in the marriage if things go sour. When both people getting married own property and have investments prior to the marriage, a prenuptial agreement sets out what would happen in the event of a divorce. Namely, that both parties would keep what they had to start with (which is covered by Canadian family Law anyway) and it could outline what would happen in the event of any inheritances received during the marriage and what sort of child support would be given to any future children.

I wouldn't consider marrying someone without now. I have my own assets to protect and you never know how mean and petty people can get once the love is gone and all they're after is cold hard cash.
 Slowdanceronly
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/19/2006 2:14:14 PM
Yes, I definately would sign one, and would insist he signed one as well before even considering marriage. Sad it's come to that today, but I think it's necesary with the divorce rate the way it is. I do have assetts I'd like to protect for my kids and grandkids, and he should as well.
 spincycle1963
Msg: 122
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:29:23 PM
I'd sign a prenup(if he does) I think it's a good idea.Saves on the d!ckering and law bills if it goes bad.
 SHE-DEVIL-36
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:56:43 PM
I would have no problem signing a prenuptial agreement.......as long as it goes both ways....for one simple fact....!

If I were going to marry a man....it would be because I loved him with all my heart and soul...and well....THAT my friends has nothing to do with how much money he has....

I have been married twice....gave the first one the house and his car.....and didnt make him any child support...

second one....he kept his stuff...I kept mine......

I think men get treated unfairly......I think in the real world.....if things were always fair....

then whatever you come into this marriage with you leave with....whatever we earn together ..we split down the middle.......children...well...you take care of them when they are with you and I will take care of them when they are with me......except if one person has the majority of responsibility....then child support comes into play...but then BOTH parties income should count.....not just one..

but I seriously doubt there are ANY women on this earth that would agree with me..!!!!

but then I knew I was one of a kind.....hehe....btw.....I am honest also....you guys....LMAo

kisses......SheDevil.......
 Phun2BMe
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/19/2006 6:27:59 PM
I used to have the same attitude as you about prenuptial agreements. The fact of the matter is... you don't generally divorce the same person that you married. Why would you? While divorcing them are you planning on receiving roses, dinners, etc. from your ex? If not, then why on earth would you anticipate them splitting anything else properly? Divorce is a one-time deal and once the papers are signed, that's it.... Items that you have worked for for years are his or hers at the price of a signature.

Now, I believe that the chances of a fair divorce (if there's going to be one) would be to sign the prenuptials while you still love each other and both of you are more likely to be fair than angry and pissed off. THAT's what makes fur fly... it isn't the divorce.
 PinkPanther1967
Msg: 125
Posted: 3/19/2006 6:40:16 PM
I'd sign it. I see something positive out of that instead of an attack to my person. Protection!!! I know myself and know what I would or wouldn't do...but I can't garantee what another person would or wouldn't do. As Dr Phil says, we marry one person and divorce another. Nowadays, it's needed, it's just part of survival.PP
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?