Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Explain to me Christians, About The Devil!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Loci
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Explain to me Christians, About The Devil!Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Ah that'd be hard i don't know many true irishmen and i bet some one some where has wrote it down. Still be nice to hear it from the source for once.
 MajMikeW
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Explain to me Christians, About The Devil!
Posted: 2/8/2005 5:27:12 PM
HnH,

While I understand that many here are angry at Bush, and a few here go so far as to call him a devil, disagreement with his policies or ideals does not qualify him being under the control of Satan.

Pres. Bush states that he is a born-again evangelical Christian, and Mr Cheney also claims status as a Christian, to say they are or are not requires being able to see their true self, which I cannot do.

I believe Pres. Bush believes he is acting in the best interests of the nation, and you must admit his job is one of the most difficult in the world. While I do not agree with all of his acts, in fact many of them, I do not have access to the info and advice that he does, nor do I have the responsibility to defend the nation. If I did have that responsibility, I admit that I would probably err on the side of caution, doing too much to protect my citizens rather than too little.

Also, while the WMD thing was a boner, and the invasion was technically illegal, and despite some innocent casualties, if Iraq can establish a long-term stable govt with freedom for it's citizens perhaps the whole thing will have been worth it. Only time will tell. I do know the number of friendly casualties caused by our actions, while many, have been miniscule compared to the number of his own people Saddam has murdered, and the many more he would have killed had he remained in power. He was, without doubt, an evil man.

Perhaps in five or ten years we will be able to judge the worth of his actions, in the meantime we can only judge the means he is using. While I have concerns about those means (as do others), we must all try to recognize that anything worth doing will be difficult to achieve.

MajMike
 mickiesthe1
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2005 10:11:57 PM
ok you already said it..god created a angel...he created all of us and look at how many people are in love with the devil and his ways..nobody is perfect except for god and his son..so it left room for the devil to exist..if god wasnt as great as he is he would not have said that even the devil will be able to redeem himself eventually....anyone else agree?
 N8_DAWG
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2005 10:35:32 PM
Your falacy is in trying to understand God's plan.

God is that which is beyond human comprehension.
 kce33
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:37:47 AM
satan or devil cannot redeem himself
 BarnBabe
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:44:44 AM
Satan: a bad bad man who does many things which are not correct to do.
 kce33
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/6/2005 3:26:38 AM
i am asuming that a couple of the guys on here are ministers, are any of you guys ministers..

now i see a bad misconception here..
you must be a born agin beleiver in order for god to reveal the truth of the scriptures..
forget the word christain, it doesn't mean anything..
the bible states that to him that beleives, much will be revealed.. god gives to each beleiver only what that person can handle.

in other words, if you are not a beleiver and have not received salvation, you cannot understand gods word, he made that way..
 MajMikeW
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:59:36 PM
Just a comment: No one can ""redeem" themselves (in Christianity), only the Savior (also called the Redeemer) can do that. Now, as to Lucifer being forgiven, I think for us to assume we understand the entirety (or even much) about an Unknowable Mystery is foolish. I also believe that it is unlikely given his greatest of sins, but God is also merciful, and the Atonement is all-encompassing (imo) and may even apply to the fallen ones. It is beyond my understanding to I am hesitant to say with any surety.

kce33

I believe that a good person can find much of value in the Scriptures regardless of his/her actual religion. I do however agree that with greater faith comes greater understanding, and as this occurs we see deeper and deeper meanings to the same verses. In Christianity we attribute this to the Holy Spirit growing within us (hopefully), others attribute it to inner peace, life experiences, etc. Whatever one calls it, it does (imo) help us to see further into God's words and find that which we need to help us live happily.

It's funny, but Islam features a component of this more than we do and I think they have the right idea. The very word Islam means 'surrender', as in surrendering to God's will and doing what He has taught. This to me is a good description of real faith, belief that makes us strong enough to admit our weakness and surrender to God's plan for us.

MajMike
 Nibe
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/6/2005 11:18:57 PM
I don't believe in the lucifer devil either. I believe satan is a metaphor for problems....I site jesus talking with peter:

"be away from me satan"

"be away from me problem"

I believe lucifer is in heaven as we speak. Heaven being the great ocean of space. And that there was simply an accident with lucifer and the little kids, that set black holes(fires) all over. I think he has mop and broom in his hand right now, and that also God is not allpowerful. That it is a joke in the Bible about him. People always logically assuming he is all powerful, which I did too at one time, but it being a joke that he isn't.

Consider:

Why would there be suffering, if God were all powerful?

Why would there be the devil, if God were all poweful?
 lextay
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:29:28 AM
For those of you familiar with The Firesign Theater, this will be funny. Everything you know is wrong!. We I'm going to give my "Lex paraphrase" version of the history of everything as I see it. We are all spiritual beings that inhabit biological machines. This physical exsistance is mostly nothing.. (that one statement is for a whole other thread) and the real exsistance is in the spirit realm. God is like a ball, with all knowlege, truth, and especially LOVE at it's center. All the spiritual beings are a beautiful and complex mozaic pressing together with each other to experience that core, and the spirit to spirit contact of pressing in makes the experience hightened. Before there was time, all the spirits were experiencing the "God core" in one accord. This produced GREAT energy and power. However no spirits had a choice this is just what we did. One spirit in particular realizing that there was no choice petitioned for "freedom of choice" and "God" being the total consentration of all knowlege, truth, and espeicially love knew that without that freedom the love of all was in vein. That spirit called Lucifer was reluctantly giving freedom of choice against the will of God having been told that it was truly not in his best interest. He was told that free will was death and that there was no spiritual way to overcome that death, which in essence is the total separation from God and all the spirit beings that together make God. For in reality we spirit beings are God and only have exsitance when we combine with the other spirits. That is what is talked about in the scriptures as "outer darkness". As soon as free will was granted, it was obvious that it was as the spirit was told. Because if your not moving closer to the core you are moving away and that direction is toward 'Nothing". So the only real exsitance we can have is to be one with the other spirits and be part of God. You see we are nothing without the whole. Lucifer in his anger and rebelion against God convinced other spirits to join him in his "journey" to nothingness. God is his love to all the spirits that are part of him provided a way to return to being part of God by giving them the opportunity to have a substitute "death" and leave free will behind and once again join the spirit comunity. OK that's just what I get... Boy I know it's long and I know there is going to be some great responses.. Remember now.. I LOVE you guys!
 admitone
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:46:44 AM

Dude, that is not the case. Satan went to Heaven to chat with God. God chatted with him about Job and what a great man of the faith he was. Satan thought Job wouldn't be such a believer if he wasn't loaded. Satan, then, asked God if he could test Job and God agreed.

Scott...i really appreciate your interpretation. Not at all being sarcastic. You pretty much have the story right and that is so right on.

Peace
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:45:43 AM
The Devil exists as much as God exists-He is a fallen angel-not an archangel but an anit-christ.
here are some of his musings:
Deadly sins are synonymous with cardinal sins and correspond with "certain aspects of human nature." They include the big seven -- pride, gluttony, lust, avarice, sloth, wrath, and envy (aka the horrible things Kevin Spacey's character did to his victims in the movie Seven). The seven deadly sins never appear as a list in the Bible, though some believe they can be found in the Gospel of Matthew. These sins are opposed by the seven virtues -- charity, meekness, zeal, generosity, moderation, chastity, and humility.
Mortal sins are a bit more vague. They are voluntary acts "said, done or desired contrary to the eternal law, or a thought, word, or deed contrary to the eternal law." The key word there is "voluntary" because as this site puts it, mortal sins cannot be committed "accidentally." That's good news, but according to Wikipedia, mortal sins cannot be forgiven after the sinner dies. Depending on your particular system of beliefs, that may be cause to sign up for some volunteer work sooner rather than later.
 eve55555
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:25:55 PM
Basicaly we are all born innocent children of God. He is within us and then satan tempts us with sin and carnality and our souls are poisoned from there on. The temptations of satan are short lived and destructive which is our desire to seek for ourselves alone without any restrictions or limitations . True maturity is when we return to God and want to live our lives to please him and to sacrifice all our earthly desires and our rewards will be in heaven. True love is love of god and his love is unconditional.
 robikus3000
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:38:53 PM
I suggest a study of what words are being translated as hell, Satan, etc. You will find that in the original text very little of the devil, Dante had more to do with the creation of the Xian Satan than the Biblical God.
 welder_guy
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:04:46 AM
Angels aren't perfect
God made the Angels with free will, just like He gave us free will. He can't force man OR angles to worship him. We do it freely.
 stealth2
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:18 PM
Okay, explain about the devil---ummmmmm- to put it simply so anyone can understand. The Devil was once with God in heaven and his name was Lucifer, but he sinned and was cast down and became the spiritual lord of this world. He still is. Plainly, if you are not a Christian believer His Majesty Satan already will get your soul or has it, so he doesn't have to work on you, he just laughs at you because you are in his realm, and upon death he gets your soul anyway. On the other hand, once you become a Christian, he starts to work on you to rob you, destroy you, steal from you, because that is His JOB! He hates every human being. If you are a Christian, he is called "The Enemy." That is his job, to be the enemy of Christians. Once he entered into my mind and caused me to commit a crime of burglary. Although he meant it for evil, God used it for good and today I am a theologian and a Christian.
 Jasow
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/13/2005 9:44:38 AM
God is just a word for us to use for some kind of trying to understand something we can not,
as we use the word god he or she is the one who created everything and that must also inculde the Devil.Truth is hard to find but one truth we must live with is everything in this life comes from something else but if you back that all the way up to the end you have just one thing left the orginial something that everthing thing comes from but then we ask where did that come from ?The question is answered by the thought that god is and always was but that is not something we can really understand because everything in this life comes from something else.There are only 2 rules in life be greatful for life at all times and do onto others as you would like them to do for you thats it if we lived those two things there would be no DEVIL.It is imposssible to live those ideas to their fullest,it is sort of like breathing you don't really appricate it untill you have not had a breath for about 30 seconds or so then it really feels good so thats the trick to make every breath feel like it has be 30 seconds since you had one J
 MajMikeW
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:37 PM
Bushido: "Life in every breath"

It is people who constitute both the givers/servants/protectors in life and their polar opposites. The good and bad experienced in mortal life both come from within man, people acting as instruments for good or evil thus showing both God and the Devil as being within us all.

This then leads one to consider yin/yang, the duality of gender (male and female in all things), and many other religious parallels from around the world.

MajMike
 TheWriteWon
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:34:17 PM
Reading some of these posts is really funny. Okay, here is a Biblically sound understanding of Satan

satan, is simply the hebrew word for "enemy". According to the gospels, Jesus supposedly calls Peter, the one in which THE CHURCH IS SUPPOSED TO BE ESTABLISHED, Satan, when they met for the last supper. Satan can be actual physical entities, (i.e. The New York Yankees could be considered satan to the Red Sox or other baseball teams), or not, like when we read stories of Jesus in the wilderness for 40 days contemplating the power that God has given him and how to use that power - should Jesus use it to keep the status-quo in an unjust world or should he use to to seek justice? Jesus doesn't choose to seek worldly pleasures, thus not giving in to Satan's (the world's) temptations.

Now...what about Hell? There is more about this in the Old Testament, referred to as sheol, or The Pit in some Psalms. The whole purpose of life, according to the Ancient Jewish culture, was to have an established relationship with God. To not have that relationship was hell. Ancient cosmology looked a lot different than it does today (i.e. the world was flat until 1492, and the Earth used to be the center of the universe until the earth started revolving around the sun). Heaven was literally above earth, and the higher one was in the sky, the better the relationship with God one had - Moses received the 10 commandments on a mountain top, prophets are frequently given the opportunity to catch a glimpse of heaven as a way to show the strength of the prophet's relationship with God. Therefore, physically, the furthest away from heaven would be in a pit, or some low place symbolizing a lack of relationship with God.
 Frivolimous
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:48:16 PM
actually kansas, the most correct translation of the hebrew word satan is "spiritual impediment". Other than that, I like your explanation alot!
 LANGA
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/14/2005 1:36:38 PM
Welder boy

Actually Angels don't have free will , thats my understanding. We do. But my understanding is, God has made the angels alittle higher then us, BUT they don't have free will, they do what God tells them to do. We have to also offcourse, but we have free will.
 loveyou00
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/15/2005 11:23:39 PM
Very good reply, thanks
 EdwardVII
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/16/2005 4:30:03 AM
MY goodness where did you get the idea that Angels do not have free will, but are higher on the heavenly Organisation Chart than we are, who have free will. That's an oxymoron, if I ever heard one!

How do you think Satan, got himself kicked out of Heaven (where he was known as Lucifer, the Light Bearer, or Morning Star (planet Venus)? Of course they have free will, if they don't, then my pet cat has more freedom than all the angels in heaven, and they cease to be wonderful and fascinating creatures, but mere robots, and not good ones at that.

If a person wished to learn something of the devil (the not really as bad as all that one), they should look at the first few pages of the book of Job. It's all there. Satan sits on the Board of Directors in HEAVEN, and reports into the Almighty. "Satan, where have you been?" says God (as if he didn't know). "Flying about the earth", says Satan. After this God and Satan chat about Job, and wager about his faith etc. The point here is that while he is the favourite whipping boy of the Christians, he is also, just doing his job! He can read scripture (he's highly intelligent), and often it is said "Quotes it". He knows what Revelation says, and yet stays on the job. He's a loyal employee, and enjoying great success.

Also, I would read Milton's Paradise Lost. This is a wonderful poem, and also gives a terrific description of Satan, the actual hero of the piece. "Better to rule in Hell, than to serve in Heaven!". It is all based on Christian Lore, and besides being informative and entertaining, is probably the finest Epic poem ever written.

Ed..
 EdwardVII
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/16/2005 4:36:44 AM
Eve:

Do you think that carnality is the temptation of the Evil One? Why if we weren't carnal, there would be no kids, and no poverty, and no lust and no spousal abuse, and no murder, no war, no starvation, and other neat stuff like that.

Without our carnality, there'd be a lot more vegetarians, very few cattle ranches, lots of buffalo, and very few people.

Without our carnality, we'd hardly recognise the place.

Ed..
 DOLLYDAGGER
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/16/2005 5:31:02 AM
'The Devil Inside, The Devil Inside...' I wonder where that singer from INXS went to????? Don't TEMP me to get too silly on a Sunday! Lightning might sear through my flesh
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Explain to me Christians, About The Devil!