Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hellynuk
Msg: 901
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?Page 37 of 61    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)
absolutely,
i am a totally smitten kitten,
have met the most wonderful man, and am telling everyone, i cant shut up about it,so i say yes, yes, yes, xx
 MistyNite
Msg: 902
Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?
Posted: 10/20/2006 10:58:11 AM
i think thats wonderful. where's he from if you dont mind the question, as i travel all over and i find this amazing.
 faithful1957
Msg: 903
Posted: 10/20/2006 7:58:29 PM
I HAD A PIN PAL WHEN I WAS 15
AND HE DROVE 600 MILES ONE NITE SO WE COULD GO OUT AND IT WAS GREAT THEN HE WENT BACK HOME AND CALLED ME AND ASK ME TO MARRY HIM AND I SAID YES SO OUR 2ND DATE WAS IN A CHURCH GETTING MARRIED HEY IT LASTED 25 WONDERFUL TELL HE PASSED AWAY...SO YOU CAN FALL IN LOVE WITH OUT SEEING EACH OTHER.. ITS THE PERSON INSIDE THAT COUNTS..
 babe732
Msg: 904
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:04:20 PM
That's great that you found someone that makes you feel that good. But I'm wondering, if the feeling is that strong.....why haven't you met?
 *mandrake*
Msg: 905
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:06:00 PM
I believe you can "like" someone you have not met, but not sure about loving them without meeting. I think it is more loving the idea of it.
 GOLDILOCKS
Msg: 906
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:27:45 PM
^^^^^ Hey, why not? Our ancestors did it and they didn't even have all the cool tools of the internet. They wrote letters to people that knew of a family member, or a cousin's neighbor and cooresponded across oceans for years, until finally getting the chance to meet each other one day; ran into each other's arms and lived happily ever after. That's the stuff great literature is written about.... hmmmm, (or was that a fairy tale?) Anyway, it worked for them, why not us?
 *Illsa
Msg: 907
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:31:45 PM
Hi there Fishes on POF...I had a post here on page 32 of this thread...under a different name and profile...( and there used to be someone here who was 'dreaming of me' while I was 'keeping him' close in my heart....

But here's an updated answer to the question about falling in love in this way...YES you can, but unfortunately...you may find out something he/she may be hiding...like the fact that they are really married and have a wife...

It's because I loved that it hurt so much...Now where is my hat and my heart so I can dust them off and go home...

Now the name's Luci4 I'm still an Angel but no longer dreaming...
 *mandrake*
Msg: 908
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:35:27 PM
Never stop dreaming...that's the stuff that keeps life interesting. Just don't live "in" the dreams. Smile at them.
 babyg
Msg: 909
Posted: 10/20/2006 9:05:53 PM
hunny...me and my ex talked online for over a year b4 we even met....we were tottaly and completly in love...we met...still in love...we fought...still in love...we moved in together and lost a baby together...still in love....we broke up and i moved back home....still in love...now we talk everyday we can...he knows me more than anyone elce in my life.....he knows when im upset he knows when somethings happened he knows me in and out....we are even tho broken up still in love......its one in a million chances but it does happen
 Sombient
Msg: 910
Posted: 10/20/2006 9:38:50 PM
Here's what I think:

There is a good slug of the population who are hard-wired a bit differently than the rest. They are typically quiet, reserved men and women who wear their hearts on their sleeves. Vulnerable, trusting, they wait patiently for love to come to them - they are not pursuers. Not experienced daters, they tend to be the type that sit back and watch others have a good time. When they fall in love, unlike the rest of the adult population, they do not fall into lust first, they are in love, deeply, and yes, its with an imagined mental image of the person they love. They give themselves trustingly in this love, and this is confusing to others whom they love, because without the love, the requirement is not that physical acceptable occurs first, but rather that emotional acceptance, trust, is exchanged first. This can result in rejection by the normally hard-wired, who are more interested in evaluating their potential partner physically first - and they may demand an upfront meeting with these quiet types who love deeply. The mismatch of signals usually spells disaster - but not always.

These quiet people can love at a distance. They can fall in love without physically meeting someone first. And they are *in love*, with all of its bonding chemistry, long before they are in lust. In fact, they may not fall into lust at all, if the relationship is intense and very short-lived.
 bored420
Msg: 911
Posted: 10/20/2006 10:12:53 PM
I think there are different definitions of love.

When you talk to someone over the internet and develop feelings for them, you are going on purely what text they generate on the other end. So if that text is coming from some new form of AI bot, would you still be in LOVE?

Okay, so lets say you talk to the person on the phone, or you use some program to talk to them. More of your senses get stimulated and your feelings grow for that person. The person is exactly who they say they are, and you make arrangements to meet.

So you're madly in love with this person, and all of a sudden, you wake up... you've been dreaming this whole time... are you still in love?

To me, love is all the senses, the sharing of 'personal' space, understanding and honest.
 monalove
Msg: 912
Posted: 10/20/2006 10:35:42 PM
My viewpoint is that although you can fall in love with someone you haven't met, there is one factor missing that is very important to me. Until you have met a person face to face, you will not know if there is chemistry which I call that special soul connection.
My experience has been that there can be two guys who are both very sweet and have alot in common with me. But one has that chemistry, and one doesnt.
Perhaps some of you are willing to settle for falling in love and commiting to a relationship with someone whom you have no chemistry with. Hey, the greater majority of people out there are in that situation. I have experienced both. And for me, once experiencing a man with whom our souls have that special connection...well....I could never settle for anything less.
 marshw
Msg: 913
Posted: 10/20/2006 11:10:58 PM
without live human contact, all that is possible is infatuation. You could have all that and the sex might be terrible. What are you going to do then? Suffer the rest of your life?
 maz67
Msg: 914
Posted: 10/22/2006 7:45:07 AM
yes it is possible, cos i have done the same. he always makes me feel very specail, we talk all the time on the phone. i have known him for 6 months now, and still not met yet as i live in england and he lives in canada. i would not change a thing, he is comin to england soon to be with me. he is my life.
 Tango57
Msg: 915
Posted: 10/22/2006 8:23:43 AM
It is not possible to fall in love with "someone" you've never met. You are only falling in love with the image of someone. All you have is an image if you've never met them - you don't have "someone". It is possible to feel all those feelings - and feelings are not necessarily tangible. If you can't see it in front of you and can't touch it - it's not tangible and ultimately it may not be real. I'm all for giving it time and for seeing it up close and personal. I'm not even going to go on about all the online scams with people you've never met... I could fill pages on that one.
Tango57
Pragmatic and practical as ever!
 imready4u06
Msg: 916
Posted: 10/22/2006 8:47:17 AM
NO, not in my opinion. You can feel all sorts of things on the internet with someone but face to face is a totally different situation. Keep those feelings in check girl until you meet him. You'll be glad you did. I hope it works out for you and everything you feel behind the computer continues when you see him, but don't hold your breath!
 shaz 1
Msg: 917
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2006 4:24:41 PM
hellynuk............ good for you i met someone on line and got engaged last month he is so wonderfull we get married next year .its like a fairy tale come true i love him so much and i still cant shut up about him to people. he lives 130 miles away from me and we see each other as much as we can. so u be that totaly smitten kitten and good luck to you.x
 retrograde
Msg: 918
Posted: 10/22/2006 5:30:01 PM
Now I'm depressed. I read the key posts by OP and the skip jack. OP seems so well adjusted and less angry than I am now as a bystander. Life...what are we gonna do?

ISORealismNOTPerfection
Msg: 919
Posted: 10/22/2006 5:33:54 PM
I don't believe you can fall in love with someone you never met, but I DO BELIEVE you can start to develop feelings for someone you have never met. I have had this to happen so from experience, those feelings you are having are not love, it is just the thought that you want to get to know this person more, meet them and imagine being with them. It is fantasy for sure, yet those little butterflies in the pit of the stomach are simply the awesome feeling you get when you talk to this person, chat with this person, whatever the case may be that makes you want to fall in love with this person. Awesome feeling, isn't it?
 Rador
Msg: 920
Posted: 10/22/2006 5:36:13 PM
Stranger things have happened. Personally I have never fell in love without meeting and makeing sure we have chemistry. I have fellen in love shortly after meeting but I am learning that I need to quit wearing my heart on my sleeve.

I wish you the best of luck.
 faithful1957
Msg: 921
Posted: 10/22/2006 7:16:34 PM
After my husband passed away in 1998 a wonderful friend kept after me to meet a guy from omaha and i nite i got sick of hearing his name and so i told my girl friend to call him and she said now and i said heck yes well she did and he called me back and we talked for 5 and 1/2 tell he had to go to work well he came down to see me and it was like something clicked and we where together for over 8 years tell his heart gave out..So i do believe you can fall in love with a person without seeing them just by talking and understanding and just being there for them.So now after 6 months i am ready to try again....
 kingofaman
Msg: 922
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:00:24 AM
Lust or infatuation maybe, but true love takes time to develope. For some the infatuation stage lasts a couple of months while for others it could last a year. If its your soulmate, don't rush things but rather enjoy the moment.
 MelissaMelissa
Msg: 923
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:01:25 AM
Sure, you may fall in love with them, but if "they" are not presenting themselves 100% completely and accurately, than you really dont love "them" but moreso their representation of themselves... in which case it kind of negates all that love.
 Honesty1965
Msg: 924
Posted: 10/24/2006 7:45:47 PM
It's true that people can be different in real life than just via email. But that doesn't mean that you can't feel all those wonderful things online. You get to know a lot about a person and who they are. And even if you meet them and things don't work out, it doesn't mean that they lied, it just means that the connection wasn't made face to face.
I met someone and all things felt very real, but once we met things moved too fast and we didn't have that phase in a relationship to truly get to know one another in person! Things went sour for many reasons, but that doesn't mean either of us lied while we were getting to know one another online! It just means that we had those things in common, but on different levels and that excited us! Meeting is the key though, don't be too rushed to say "I love you" to the other end of the chat screen until you have had that chance to know them on a more intimate personal level!
Take it slow....if it's meant to be it will happen!

marg_mh_ab
Msg: 925
Posted: 10/25/2006 12:13:41 AM
*~Never say never~*
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to fall in love with someone you never met?