Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Texas  > Texas is at it again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 strangebloom
Msg: 26
Texas is at it againPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
This is ridiculous.

If I am in a private establishment and am drunk... even if I have my keys in my hand. Until I get in my car, I am not drinking and driving.

Texas has always tried to be tough on crime, and I agree with it... but not until the crime is commited.
 dumdum83
Msg: 27
Texas is at it again
Posted: 9/28/2006 10:42:51 AM
How can they do that? I always thought that until you get in the car and turn on the ignition they can't do anything. Every state is different, but that's a little extreme!
 itsmeinco
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 9/28/2006 10:52:41 AM
I don't see how any reasonable juror could convict anyone of DWI under this scenario.

Until you walk out the door and get in your car, you always have the option of calling a taxi, walking home, or catching a ride with a sober driver.

P.S. Sounds like the police are trying to eliminate the idea of having a "designated driver". If the pigs are going to arrest you and charge you anyway, what's the point of having one?

strangebloom
Msg: 29
Texas is at it again
Posted: 9/28/2006 11:06:48 AM
Gah! Don't call them pigs. :(
 crossrunner
Msg: 30
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:16:37 PM
You got to understand this is not a free country anymore . we are govern by allot of rule and regulations. That have taken are rights, If madd is so worries about there kids why are they not shouting out, "(about there kids killing each other in the inner city)"
 itechman63
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:16:29 PM
I recall not all that long ago in Texas that it was perfectly legal for a driver to drink WHILE driving. Couldn't be drunk, but you could have yourself a beer while rolling down the freeway.
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/9/2009 3:04:50 PM
This not DUI. It has been against the law to be public Drunk OR acting drunk.

I worked in bars and could be arreste if a customer slept (passed out) in the bar.

Loss of freedom? Sure. Do your beer pong at home.

In 1968, in the case of Powell v. Texas, the Texas law against public intoxication was challenged in the Supreme Court of the United States for alleged violation of Eighth Amendment, which forbids cruel and unusual punishment. The court upheld the law, ruling that making a crime of public intoxication was neither cruel nor unusual.
 faith2565
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/10/2009 8:25:35 AM
I pray this is not real. Then they need to end the commercial stating 'call a cab if you drink and drive'.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/12/2009 11:01:53 AM

You guys think you will never drink and drive and kill or maim a car full of people.

There is an excellent chance an occasional smoker will burn down a hotel killing dozens of people. Maybe they should be arrested now. The DWI death rate is under 45,000 Americans per year. Smoking about 750,000 not including damage due to wildfires. The police should check POF profiles and arrest all smokers before they kill!

An earlier poster called it right about easy fines on those who are unlikely to fight. Its not unlike small town speed traps. Often such an operation is started because some politician was at odds with the bar/hotel operator.

Power corrupts.
 LastRide281
Msg: 35
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/14/2009 9:55:54 PM
Oh hell...let's just start our own organization and call it D.A.M.M.---Drunks Against Mad Mothers
 Dallasknight
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:11:54 PM
The Dallas Police Dept. began doing that as a STING.. and since it immediatly started outcries from the city itself.. they ceased.. how-ever.. this sting was done on the Lower Greenvile Ave. area which as some may or may not know the local neighbors are in a movement to kick the clubs/bars out ... due to a history of violence, drunkiness, sex in cars, etc thats happened in the surrounding neighborhoods..

this was an injunction on the private rights of citizens and its still up in arms if it will be forced.. but its already too late for nightclubs/bars in the Dallas area.. beginning April 1st, 2009 new ordance laws will be governed.. so yea.. the prudes win again..

this place is becoming a city full on over-zealous christian conservatives who're bascially giving the government a key to running our lives.
 faith2565
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:04:06 PM
Ahoy,

We actually agree. Let us write this down.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Texas is at it again
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:48:31 PM
Faith, I really haven't changed at all. The issue is simply an symptom of too much power in government resulting in abuse of that authority. When we ask government to do something by empowering government, be careful what you ask for as you usually get more than you wanted.

Note the cars of OU fans being towed during the OU-Texas game at the Cotton bowl. Texas fans claim they should have been ranked higher than OU because they won on a "neutral" field. In the mean time, Dallas keeps saying they want the OU-Texas game to stay in Dallas and spends millions of tax dollars on fair park to get OU to agree???????
Show ALL Forums  > Texas  > Texas is at it again