Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > acne problems      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Micheroo
Msg: 51
acne problemsPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
monalee, could you point me to some sources that talk about the disadvantages of turmeric? I haven't been able to locate any, and I don't want to trade one problem for another, or add new ones...

Thanks in advance!
 monalee1
Msg: 52
acne problems
Posted: 8/29/2009 8:51:29 PM
hi Micheroo... anything ~Natural Hygiene~ will teach you about irritating spices... get the book fit for life by Harvey Diamond, his book condenses Natural Hygiene which is a course for about 500 US dollars, 1000 back when I took it... anything David Wolfe will teach you that spice as a medicine, a few time a week, may help with parasites but daily it is too irritating.... both sources will advise againts black pepper but David will accept turmeric if used sparingly... google Frederic Patenaude for his no nonsense approach to eating the best of raw foods and what foods to avoid... if turmeric works then the most I would do would be 1/2 a teaspoon 2 times a week, I have not used black pepper in 25 yrs... cayenne is another medicinal spice that I use a few times a week, raw garlic and onions too.. Davids Sunfood site has a forum where you can post any health or nutrition question and get quite a few educated responses....Dr Doug Graham as well....many blessings with this
 loveletter...
Msg: 53
acne problems
Posted: 8/31/2009 12:00:08 PM
I used to get acne when I was a teenager. I tried all the doctors stuff but went to the health shop and she gave me some white cream dont know what its called but it instantly got rid of it all. vitamin E is good. drink lots of water. Dont smoke. Eat raw food cos the vitamins go straight to your skin, Eat low fat not high fat. carrot and ginger are good for the skin as well.
Junk is terrible for the skin. Fresh air some sun helps. Diet and water is best you may have a vitamin deficiency. Stress can cause skin problems as well. check out the healthfood store.
 Micheroo
Msg: 54
acne problems
Posted: 8/31/2009 8:17:14 PM
Aw man! I wish you remembered what that white cream was. I'd love to give it a shot!

Seriously, though, I think I'm loving the turmeric, so far. And I recently read about a supplement that has turmeric and other ingredients in it that's supposed to be good for skin, among many, many other things. I might try it just for the simple fact that my mom has early-onset Alzheimer's (diagnosed at 47), and it could help prevent me from getting it, too, or at least put it off a few more years (if I do, indeed, have the gene.)

The product is called Total Balance Unisex. Anyone ever heard of it or used it? Some honest reviews would be great!
 koncrete
Msg: 55
acne problems
Posted: 9/1/2009 12:01:37 AM
The type of oil you are eating, guess where your skin oil comes from... the food you eat. Eating bad food=bad skin oil which can= bad skin unless you have unnatural genetics. You need fish, cut back on fried foods, go for grilled, and go to the store and buy omega 3 supplements if you simply cant get any in your diet. btw vitamin E on quanities of over 150% DV have been proven to not provide any additional benefit, there is evidence to suggest once you hit 250% dv it can actually be harmful.
 P.R.Handgrenade69
Msg: 56
acne problems
Posted: 9/1/2009 12:19:51 PM
@koncrete:

How many international units is a lot before you reach 250%?

I had the worst case of acne that was known as cystic acne. My chin looked bruised and the zits were huge. My doctor prescribed tetracycline at 500 mg for two weeks at a time. I was a teen then and it worked wonders for me that my skin was so clear you wouldn't have guessed that I did have acne. Prolonged use, however, can damage your liver so that it is prescribed two weeks at a time, two weeks on, two weeks off. I didn't use them for very long before my skin was completely clear, zits AND scars.

Of course, I may get one very small zit about that time of month and that lets me know that I am close to getting it. They go away with minimal treatment and do not leave scars.
 koncrete
Msg: 57
acne problems
Posted: 9/1/2009 1:32:20 PM
UG I ment to say IU not %. I read some studies awhile ago that said adults who took 400 IU actually received negative benefits. heres one I found
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/60985_2.html
 SF_Dancer
Msg: 58
view profile
History
acne problems
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:32:46 AM
There are so many myths and misconceptions about acne causes (some of which I see in this thread), the impact of diet, etc. The oil you eat in your food does not influence facial sebum production. Oily skin is largely genetic - some people are just more oily than others. Oil production is also influence by hormones. These hormones CAN be impacted by dietary factors and stress - which can increase oil production and breakouts in those who are acne prone. Research has linked dairy to increased acne and there is also some research showing that diets high in sugar may also cause problems for skin. Iodine (in iodized salt, kelp, etc.) may also be problematic for acne sufferers - excess iodine is partially excreted through the pores and can irritate and inflame any existing acne lesions or clogged pores.

Oh, and not everyone who is oily will get acne - you also need to be prone to having pores that clog (because of skin cells that don't shed properly and that clump together).

Acne is a very complicated disorder - its is caused by a multitude of factors, and often needs to be treated with multiple methods - topical treatments, oral medications, lifestyle/dietary changes, etc.
 smartypants24
Msg: 59
acne problems
Posted: 10/11/2009 3:11:01 PM
I mix Noxema with oil absorbing clay masks...the clay absorbs the excess oils, the ones that cause pimples, while the Noxema leaves behind a thin layer of protective oils (don't want to strip all the healthy oils from the skin, just the bad ones) I also use an oil based facial wash... Laboratoire Dr Renaud Gentle Facial Cleansing Milk...expensive but worth it
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 60
acne problems
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:12:27 PM
I recently began using something that seems to be having a wonderful effect! I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but coconut oil seems to be a great product when used in place of lotion. I know it sound weird to rub oil on the skin to treat acne, but here's the difference I've seen so far:

- acne began drying up immediately and flaking off
- skin, which is typically oily and needs to be blotted a few times a day to get rid of the shine, pretty much stays matte all day. I can tell it's still a little oily if I blot it, but nowhere near as shiny as it was!
- looks a little smoother, pores less noticeable.

I've been using it as a face lotion for about a week and still do get little pimples, but the big, obvious ones I had before are going away. A few other pros are that it smells FANTASTIC, helps my makeup go one smoother, is organic and all-natural, and rids me of all the other products I've had to use before (none of which even worked as well.) I don't even use my eye-cream anymore. I'm just going to continue using the coconut oil to see if it works just as well.

To use: I keep some in a plastic containter in my bathroom for topical use only. (In the future I plan on getting a jar for bathroom use only.) After washing my face, I fill the sink with about 1 inch of hot water and place the container in it to allow it to liquify. After getting dressed, I come back, remove the containter from the sink, remove lid, wash my hands and dry thoroughly on a clean towel, then dip my fingertips from one hand into the oil. I then rub between both sets of fingertips (or I'll use a little extra and rub all over my hands before applying to face) then rub on face in light outward, circular motions. I rub it all over, including my eye area and my neck. Don't use too much, but if you do, and even if you don't, it doesn't hurt to blot with a clean towel or tissue when you're finished. I usually wait about 10 minutes or so before I blot, unless I need to apply makeup and scramble out the door if I have somewhere to go.

I can't say it's a cure, and I don't know if I should quit using my eye-cream, but so far it seems pretty nice. Time will tell if this is all I'll ever need to use on my skin!

I also use a turmeric-coconut oil face mask twice a week. The CO is sooo much better than the previously used olive oil!!! Just use a small dish for mixing and use about 3-4 tsp organic, ground turmeric. Then drizzle the coconut oil in and mix with fingertips until you have a pasty (but not too oily) mixture. Then just apply to skin on face and neck. Avoid getting into eyes. Allow to sit on your skin for 15-20 minutes, then remove by, first, rubbing a small amount of face wash in circular motion on skin (works like a face scrub.) Then remove slowly with wash cloth or fingers in shower. Be sure to get it all off and, again, avoid getting it into your eyes!!! This face mask really makes my skin glow when I'm done.

If any of you try this method, post your results! I'd like to see if it works for others as well as it works for me!!!

Good luck!
 ~leaving4now~
Msg: 61
acne problems
Posted: 11/3/2009 10:16:00 AM
Thank you! For the information...After reading this forum I left and went out and bought some Coconut oil...Tea Tree Cleansing bar and Pure & Clear acne gel for my son...let's hope this all works...I'll let you know soon if it does or not...
 returntosenderplease
Msg: 62
view profile
History
acne problems
Posted: 1/6/2010 8:13:24 PM
TEA TREE OIL IS BEST THING IVE EVER USED
 dutchpirate
Msg: 63
view profile
History
acne problems
Posted: 1/6/2010 8:55:04 PM
I've had a terrible problem with cystic acne lately (the kind under the skin you don't really see) and it's freaking impossible to get rid of!!!

So far benzol peroxide seems to have worked best... but it's destroyed and dried out my skin... now instead of a bump, its red and flaky lol....

Diet plays a huge role but with skin it requires a lot of patience to see results from most treatments and changes.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 64
view profile
History
acne problems
Posted: 1/8/2010 9:02:16 AM
I have used a lot of cleaning products but with little improvement the things I have noticed are

-Clean pillow case every 3 days
-Wash face twice a day with a clean wash rag (I have over 50 white rags and hand towels in my closet)
-DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE
-Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands becuase you know your going to touch your face

I also cant use shaving cream I have found shaving dry or with soap is a lot better

I also have have had a good experiance with accutane but only minor sucess with anti-biotics
 bebacksoon
Msg: 65
acne problems
Posted: 1/9/2010 4:44:36 PM
Nelsons Acne Gel...its in your health stores...it works great...
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 66
view profile
History
acne problems
Posted: 1/10/2010 2:16:51 PM
Believe it or not, urine does a great job of clearing up acne. Just urinate in a bowl and splash the urine on your face first thing in the morning before going to work or school. You should start to see results after about a month. Okay okay, I'm just kidding. Actually the only thing I ever found to really clear up my acne when I was a teenager was salt water from the ocean. I tried everything from Oxy to Clearasil and all sorts of pills and creams that my doctor prescribed. Nothing worked well enough to speak of. However, I went on vacation with my family every summer to Wildwood, NJ and after swiming in the ocean every day for a week my acne would be practically non-existent.
 pink1thegreat
Msg: 67
acne problems
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:42:46 AM
Just to stay clea and many informationaround how you make yourself dirty.
 butterfly unique
Msg: 68
acne problems
Posted: 1/13/2010 9:55:19 AM
Diet does play a role, Eat as clean as possible. Processed sugar causes many problems. I havent eaten dairy or wheat in huge amounts for 10yrs and have stopped getting the cystic acne I used to get when I was younger. I love coconut oil to cook with and I steam at the gym a few times a week.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 69
acne problems
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:11:36 AM
Just to stay clea and many informationaround how you make yourself dirty.

A lot of people are dirty that don't have acne and some cleansers can make acne worse

Link6376
Msg: 70
acne problems
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:48:17 AM
I tried everything when I was younger....went to many dermatologists...who gave me many things. Two things worked, at all............Retin A worked great for my face BUT it took 3 full months, at least, to clear me up. I did stay cleared up though...and thought that I was healed so I quit using it, then the acne came back. That would have been a good solution for my face, but my entire body was covered. FINALLY I got prescribed Accutane about 8 years ago and the zits are all gone from everywhere still.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 71
acne problems
Posted: 1/13/2010 1:09:35 PM
I've thought about accutane a few times. I'll admit it is tempting.. But I sure as sh1t wouldn't trade the acne I have for a single one of those other problems.... It's sad that people risk so much to clear up their skin. And dermatologists really do jump the gun on that drug. I went to a new derm a few years ago (an older guy) and the first thing he did was suggest accutane, and gave me an attitude about my concerns about it. I was wary of taking it, but what really solidified my decision not to--and to never return to that office--was when he asked me to sign the statement that I was *either* religious OR would get on birth control. I wasn't even sexually active at the time. Hadn't been for years, wasn't for years after that visit.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 72
acne problems
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:37:14 AM
My cousin told me that accutane was a cure because her cystic acne never came back after being treated with it. I've read that that's not always the case.

I'm reluctant to take it because it's supposed to dry out your skin, but a friend of mine could have really used it because his skin has been permanently scarred. In that respect, I think it's good to have something that will stop acne before it causes too much damage to your skin
 Squeakee
Msg: 73
acne problems
Posted: 2/21/2010 2:37:11 PM
I've never had acne, an occasional blemish here and there. But some family members and friends have had severe acne, and here are a few things they have tried and worked.

My sister used Neem Powder. It is the powder from a crushed Neem Leaf. You can find this in Indian grocery stores. If you drink the powder down, tastes disgusting , but it will dry out your pimples. It's very strong, so this is for really severe acne. Anyways my sister used this for a year or two, after Proactive, Retin-A, and others didn't work, and her skin is a lot better now.

I recommend Spectro Gel, it is a cleanser and all dermatologists recommend it. When you use it, it feels like you are using lotion. You really don't think you are getting a good wash at all . It's so mild. My mom once bought this, and I thought it was a joke. However, any time I have used this stuff, my face has been glowing and clear. I always go back and forth on products. But if my face is oily, or dry, I start using spectro gel again, and my face is fine all over again. I recommended it to a couple of class mates who had really bad acne, within a month their face is clear. And they have been using it for years now and have gorgeous skin.
My skin is combination, it is usually clear but goes on random bouts of extreme oiliness or extreme dryness. Literally where nothing helps and I want to wear a paper bag. I decided to just stick to Spectro gel now. Google it and look at the reviews. I was on a website and it had 4/5 stars out of over 200 reviews.
Note, if u wear makeup, make sure to use a makeup remover as well, it's not strong enough to remove make up.

It is inexpensive, a large bottle can last you a few months and costs about $10. can be found at any drug store. I think it is a Canadian brand though.

Also I never pick at any pimples or acne, but I still scar. I started using fresh aloe vera , apply it to any scars or marks, and it removes them over time.
 afittnessmodel
Msg: 74
acne problems
Posted: 1/7/2011 7:21:24 PM
apple cider vinegar...check it out...go to http://www.earthclinic.com/...you won't believe what apple cider vinegar can do for you...good stuff...been using it for years..."yee-haa" :o)
 jeepwmn
Msg: 75
acne problems
Posted: 1/9/2011 9:25:30 PM
Around my mid to later 20's, I started breaking out badly. . thanks to genetics. :P I tried every brand you could think of, department store, over the counter, and dermatologist prescribed topicals. Went through a round of Accutane, and it cleared it up, but the acne came back eventually, and a second round didn't work as well. In desperation, I started doing a search on acne. .and found the acne.org website. .read the reviews for this one product 10% alpha hydroxy acid. Basically, the website was started by this one man who suffered from acne, and came up with his own products, which are the cheapest and most effective ones I've come across. In between that and Retin A micro, and most importantly, cleaning up my diet. . no processed/fast food, limited sugars, big bowl of salad (spinach, shredded broccoli, tomatoes, handful of chopped walnuts, diced bell peppers, cilantro with sesame soy ginger dressing), and fish a couple times a week, along with brown rice or quinoa, skin has done a 180 turnaround. Instead of milk, I usually drink vitamin fortified soy milk. And of course, exercise 5 times a week, rest, and water. I'll definitely say some of the biggest changes came from changing my diet!
This maybe of minor help, but some hair products/shampoos could be causing the breakouts, too. I usually try and stick with natural shampoos. .try and buy products with ingredients I recognize and can pronounce like essential extracts of orange, (Trader Joe's citrus shampoo :) )
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > acne problems