Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 XenaBea57
Msg: 76
Did you think life would be like this at 50?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I saw me and my ex as grandma & grandpa surrounded by kids and grandkids doing the Sunday dinner thing too.
I still listen to 'classic' rock, too loudly and I sing along, too badly. I drive my '69 Cougar too fast, I take rubber off those tires every time I drive her. I learned to turn a wrench on her, and I can dry-wall, tile and do minor plumbing on this old house. I can laugh at nothing at all or at the absurdity of life. I sometimes still get butterflies over a first date. I turn 50 in less than a month and knock wood, throw salt, not a grey hair yet! I'm 30-summin even if this poor old bod doesn't always agree with me.
And yes, I cook a mean Sunday dinner for my kids and two grandkids and anyone else that wants to wander in :-) Lovin Life at 50!!
 talksalot02
Msg: 77
Did you think life would be like this at 50?
Posted: 10/7/2007 8:26:39 PM
No. I thought I would be married with grandkids who came over for holidays. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be alone and having such a hard time.
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/8/2007 2:10:09 PM
Cannot remember that far back. Next week it is 65 for me, and never thought about what I would think about it. When I was 20 I read a story called "Logan's Run" about a place where you lived to be 30 and died. I never expected to live past 25 at the time, but here I am with teenage sons and all. It is what it is. Each day I am here is a wonder.
 shipoker
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:37:16 PM
**No. I thought I would be married with grandkids who came over for holidays. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be alone and having such a hard time.

What this person, said!!.......................................................JMO
 edisto
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:51:36 PM
no, my greatest disappointment has been that i would not grow old with the father of my children, we grew apart and though we now share history, that is about all we share

most of what i planned hasn’t come about, but what has happened has been an amazing ride so far~

“life is what happens while you are busy making other plans”
john lennon
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/8/2007 10:16:09 PM
Nope, I never imagined that at age 50 I'd have a car wreck
 Temptation50
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:50:06 PM
I think we're a new generation of 50 plus'rs.....
There's nothing stopping me from roller blading or climbing trees,riding bikes or racing cars ........nothing.
It is trite but true.......age is just a number,staying active is good for the soul and the aging process.......I love my age.
I just wish I knew then what I know now.....
 akblondee
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:28:28 PM
I don't think I ever thought about being 50. I do remember when my dad died, I was 25, he was 63 and I thought he was so old. Now, at 53...he wasn't SO old!
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:35:33 PM
Previous poster makes a good point in passing. Any smart fella can figure out what to say and what not to say, and so can you ladies. In fact, when I send email there are little lists at the bottom to remind me :puke: ! This lad just offers up what he thinks he is, but has already heard disbelief from more than one lassie. Well of course it is hard to tell the truth when I don't even want to believe it myself!

On the subject at hand, I do believe I never dreamed I would still be wondering what to say next to a lassie at this ripe old age, but that subject has always been endlessly interesting. Every woman I have ever known has surprised me often, for good or ill.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:22:17 PM
Oops! Double post.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:24:30 PM
I knew it was going to be odd: I remember my mother at 35 saying she didn't feel old, that it always surprised her to see that image in the mirror. She didn't look old to me; she just looked like my mother.

As a small, I thought I could do pretty much anything I wanted -- I just couldn't because they wouldn't *let* me (like drive a car, for instance). In my teens, I expected to be a grandmother to a great many grandbabies (my mom had 42 when she died). In my 30's, I imagined an old age full of old lovers, visiting a couple of weekends a year ( say 26 X 2 +52: yep, that's covered, lol!), which hasn't happened, either. A year and a half ago, it looked pretty good for ending up in Ireland. . . . I could finish here, hauling my water in my nineties (I've had clients that did just that) or cooking conch stew in Bermuda

I have NO desire to hang onto what's past, or to keep from growing older (going forward). But I still don't have a clue as to what that's going to look like.

Thank goodness. . . .

picker_grinner
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:29:35 PM
I thought for sure we'd have World Peace by now.
 ShellieNthecountry
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:36:50 PM
The closer I got to 50, my opinion kept changing. You look at 50 differently when you are 20 than you do when you are 40.
 angelfaceblonde
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:33:47 AM
Life is great at 50 who says you have to be 21, to have fun I have got more go in me than most youngsters and enjoy myself more.Guess for some of us we are reliving our youth and enjoying every minute of it. Children are grown up all the hard work is done so now its time for me time So all you pof on here who havent reached 50 yet Let the good times roll
 great_kahuna
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:53:20 AM
50???....I have to look back quite a few years. No, I did not think life would be like that since my dear wife had left me when I was 40. After working 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week I finally said "enough already " , and I retired when I was in my early 60's.

In my 70's now I am still doing quite well, especially as far as my health goes.

I did not plan my life that way, it just happened.

I better do some more

Kahuna
 SapphyreSkye
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:29:56 AM
I never thought about life at 50; I still don't think about what my life will be like at 60 or 70 or 80 or however long I'm alive. I tend to look at what I've learned, where I'm at, and where I'd like to go. I'm the type who loves to focus, so I'm too busy looking at what's going on now to look too far ahead and try to guess what may or may not happen in the distant future. Every now and then when I do try to catch a glimpse of myself toward the end of life, I see a mountain cabin and me hiking the trails. I associate contentment and serenity with the forest, and have always felt a sense of belonging there. That means I'm leaving the beach to the rest of you....I'm sure there'll be no shortage of 'takers' who envision themselves walking along the shore or basking in the sun.
 JANUARY10950
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/10/2007 9:47:17 AM
Geez in my case I started saying the exact same things to my kids that I never wanted to hear my mom say to me and I ignored her too!!!! Like the saying goes what goes around!!!But life is still great for me even in my fiftys!!!
 Have you seen my pants
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/10/2007 12:21:47 PM
I really didn't belive that I would live to see 50 ... I would have taken a lot better care of myself if I had known! lol
 KiwiPhoenix
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:09:11 PM
I think/feel like I am finally an adult... at the ripe young(old?) age of 49...

Until a couple of years ago, I still felt like I was 17 on the inside... that I was faking/bluffing my way through life and that I'd be caught out soon! LOL.. and it was always such a puzzling experience to see the face and body in the mirror that didnt match up with the felt/mental/emotional sense of self...

I would never have believed anyone who told me my life would be like it is today... never in a million years... thought I'd still be married to my first husband, watching the grown kids produce their offspring, sitting by the fire like Derby and Joan... in fact, close friends cried when I left that relationship because it seemed so 'perfect' from the outside (think they cried because when I stopped pretending that it was working for us, they realised they were in deep s**t!!! LOL)...

And now here I am with three grown kids far away and a four year old from a second brief relationship .... in a new country, and I think - how the heck did I get here?

I was joking with women friends the other day that I wanted my life back... that I closed my eyes for a second and it kinda slipped off into another dimension... could just see it sliding by... LOL... Was joking that I wanted to tell the universe that OK, enough's enough, can I have it back now please!!! LOL...they too have a lot of very 'out of the so-called norm' stuff happening in their lives and also want to know what happened in those few moments when they took their eye off the ball...

BUT... if I leave off attaching descriptors like 'good' and 'bad' to the experience, its been the most amazing journey... I'm into looking at things on multiple levels and there's so much going on in terms of it being an exploration of human archetypes, of the mythic process ... I have learned so much about myself and I see so much interconnectedness and meaning that while some of it is/has been very hard, its also very fulfilling... and I cant imagine my life having meaning any other way... and I am finally living who I really am...

No idea where this is going and how its all going to end up... have given up the need to plan and control and have almost lost the fear - LOL ... couldnt have planned it any better for the reward of the experience if I had tried, anyway...

So cool...

Namaste all...
 dragondrummer
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:28:08 PM
I can't really answer this yet, as I am still in my 40's.
I will tell you next week, when I am in my 50's.
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:10:56 PM
I can barely remember my 50s... this getting old has its advantages.

To answer the question, no I didn't think years ago that at age 57 I would be starting over. But, hey, it's all good!
 Kissesfromheaven
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/10/2007 10:20:14 PM
No I did not,, I now have two grandbabies,, got myself a motorcycle,, and I will finish up my nursing this year,, and I wish I would have done this "all of this" a long time ago.. life seems to come and go so much faster now,,but I am happy.. and I have noticed that being happy doesn't take much anymore.. I have learned to be content,, once in awhile I get lonely,, but I think we all do.. happy fishin... lady J
 wyndryder
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2007 9:14:12 AM
Nope.....when I was in my 20's I couldnt even IMAGINE being in my 50's....I figured I would be dead by then....( and with my lifestyle then....its a wonder I am not ) In my 30's I was too worried about bills, family, etc to think about it......
In my 40's I realized I was getting close and needed to take better care of myself....
Now that I am in my 50's I cant imagine what being in my 20's would be like LOL
 friendlyldy
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2007 10:50:52 AM
Never in my wildest dreams! My grandparents were married until they died, my parents were married until they died.........I just assumed that, at 50, I would be married, doing fun things with my husband, babysitting grandkids and putting on family barbeques in the backyard..........taking off on vacations with my husband and enjoying life together.........walking down the street of some quaint little village holding hands.........laughing about the time we set the clock back an hour so we could put the kids to bed early and have time for each other........... My father even tagged along with my mother to the mall and enjoyed it when he got older. He would sit out there in the courtyard part and talk to my husband (even my husband back then loved doing things with my family) or play with his granddaughter when he got sick of walking around. They shared a hobby together........dollhouses.....he made a saloon with a cat house and a horse barn, she furnished them.... They loved taking off and traveling........ We all climbed in cars and went for rides to see the fall leaves (I'm from up north and moved down to Florida after they died) and had a ball stopping at the tourist shops and figuring out where we would stop to eat.

They had their separate interests, too.........he loved music, history (I think he went to every museum in the northeast and she enjoyed that, too) and he loved dancing with her, she loved shopping which wasn't his thing but he tagged along at times.

My mother was thin most of her life but she put on a few pounds as she got older. She wasn't overly fat but she had a bigger waistline then she used to have. Dad didn't seem to mind. His stomach was a heck of a lot bigger then hers was. And when he passed away, there were still guys who knew what a good wife she had been and were wanting to ask her out.....and she wasn't sexy, just nice looking.......They lived in the same house for 38 years so people knew them well. And I can still remember the time they were in their 50's and must have had a fight because Ma showed up at my door and Dad called "Is your mother there?" and I had to laugh because I knew he would be lost without her..........Maybe she was a little overweight but he still would get jealous .....if she hadn't been at my house, he would have freaked..... He must have still felt she was worth a lot.........but they always worked through stuff...........

And I still miss all of that ......... I do fine on my own but if I could find a guy who wanted that kind of life again, I would be in heaven..........it's worth a little compromising........... She was there for him when he got sick, when he died. He was there for her.........when she had a heart attack. I can still remember running into the emergency room and seeing him sitting there dazed at the thought of losing her.

To me, the single life is pretty shallow. I get to do what I want when I want it but that's nothing compared to sharing life with someone you care about.
 2BlovedeternalE
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/26/2007 11:38:16 AM
No . .
I thought I'd be Happily Married . . with a couple Grandchildren bouncing around the house , and a Lovely, Loving Lady at my side . . !!!
~ Siiiiiiiiiigh . . ~
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Did you think life would be like this at 50?