Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > If you HATE God      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 southernlass
Msg: 26
If you HATE GodPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I would say that someone who is always bashing God is someone who has issues with God and is likely seeking God, subconsciously perhaps. Hating is a passionate response, see? It's the other side of love. Apathy is a response which indicates complete lack of interest and caring. Hating means there are underlying issues there that are generating an interested, plugged in, passionate response and it means he is potentially still reachable by God. (Just my personal opinion and theory on this).

Me thinks he does protest too much. Whenever anyone kicks up a lot of dust about anything pretty much, it's because they CARE.
 Greg8002
Msg: 27
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/30/2008 1:17:01 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with being friends with an agnostic or atheist who had good reasons for holding their belief. It would be another matter though, if my agnostic or atheist friend showed me no respect and treated me and my beliefs with no respect, even if I hold them in good conscience.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 28
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/30/2008 1:54:59 AM

What do you say to people who can't stop bashing God everytime you see them...

"Boy, has it ever been a long time since I last saw you."
 whitegold765
Msg: 29
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/30/2008 3:45:47 AM
Lol, nice work.

I personally see only two options - hating God or not believing in him. But my reasons may not be the same as your friend. Does your friend hate God for any reason or is he just being all Emo and hating the world and life and God for making him and making him so sad and blah blah blah?

Hating God is reasonable in a sense. A quick scan through the earlier bits of his autobiography (the Bible) show some very questionable behaviour, and personally the whole "You're damned to burn in a lake of molten sulphur unless you bow down to me with no proof of my existence because of my oddly rigged system" thing sort of seems unfair to me.

But most people who have studied things to that level and come to the conclusions I have simply don't believe he exists. So why waste the breath to rail at him?

Really the problem is not with someone not believing the same as you, or believing the opposite, or SAYING the opposite. The problem is with someone being rude and obnoxious. And that's got nothing to do with belief. He's just a jerk. And no, I couldn't be friends with him because of that, not because of his beliefs.
 SR C
Msg: 30
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:39:17 AM
Sounds like your friend doesn't hate god. Sounds like he's trying to shift responsibility for his failings onto god.

This is pretty ridiculous.

He needs to get a grip and start taking responsibility for his own life.

As for hanging around him. If he's your friend, then confront him. If he's just some bod you know and don't see that often..... avoid him.

I'm looking at myself and the people i know and think should be hanging around those who are more positive and less cynical.

Personally I find the idea that he believes in a god just to hate him pretty ridiculous. If you choose to believe in a god, then the last thing you want to do is do something that you think would pi$$ him off.
Otherwise, don't believe and take responsibility for your actions and quit trying to blame your faults and failings on other people.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 31
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:19:58 AM
To quote one of my favourite films of all time:
Imam: Because you do not believe in God does not mean God does not believe in - .
Riddick: Think someone could spend half their life in a slam with a horse bit in their mouth and not believe? Think he could start out in some liquor store trash bin with an umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and not believe? Got it all wrong, holy man. I absolutely believe in God... And I absolutely hate the ****er.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134847/quotes

FYI, I don't hate G-d. But I can see why some people do. He's got a wicked sense of humour, and some people don't like being the butt of G-d's jokes.
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 32
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/31/2008 12:27:38 PM
God is probably a nice guy to be around, but in small doses only. You could probably have a pint with him and he'd be entertaining and good company but if you accidentally bumped into him and spilt his beer, he'd have you. You'd be a pillar of salt in no time, or worse. To display outright hatred in these circumstances is tantamount to war, and being omnipotent, God is sure to win. I see him as a kind of Londons' East End gangster figure - loves his mum, diamond geezer and all that, but cross him and he may be tempted to screw your pelvis to a cakestand.

I'd warn your mates against dissing God. If they don't want to end up at the bottom of the local canal modelling the latest fashion in concrete overshoes that is...

Disclaimer: This viewpoint applies only if god actually exists.
 AncientMuse
Msg: 33
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/31/2008 2:44:29 PM
Impossible to hate something that doesn't exist....

I don't hate unicorns or the tooth fairy either (exept for that one time when the tooth fairy forgot to leave me a quarter under my pillow when I was five...)
 whitegold765
Msg: 34
If you HATE God
Posted: 3/31/2008 6:27:31 PM
If you look at the early part of the bible (Numbers is a good example), there's plenty of places God specifically commands people to be miserable and deadly. :)
 tonto1uk
Msg: 35
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/1/2008 2:50:15 AM

If you look at the early part of the bible (Numbers is a good example), there's plenty of places God specifically commands people to be miserable and deadly. :)

I think this is going of topic a bit but in answer to this previous post numbers need to be taken in contexted and numbers is in the old testement and ws under the law when people had to atone for there sins, But jesus came as that sacrificial lamb to pay the price for all our sins and that we could have life and have it more abundant.
But in answer to the post if it is his negative attidude that is bringing you down the please do re-evaluate your friendship but if its the fact that he hates god then love him and show him gods love in action At the point of my conversion was being surounded by christians seeing they had something that brought them peace happiness and joy and then learning that god loved my just the way i was, as he loves your friend
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 36
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 3:55:08 PM
"Jesus came as a sacrificial lamb to pay the price of our sins"

Does this human sacrifice thing obey any kind of logic or reason that exists in the real world?

I mean can you die for someones sins? I know people die in world wars for reasons that genuinely have some measurable benefit to the human race but how can you possibly die for someones sins and how do we quantify any advantage gained?

Don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question and I realise that there's probably a guy in a skirt out there with a glibly worded reply that he at least finds satisfying.

I was sent to Sunday School as a child and was subjected to this form of words being directed at my ears by dog collared men in skirts behind pulpits, and my gut instinct even then was that it is bullsh*t. The statement, "Jesus died for your sins", could easily launch a young mind on a permanent guilt trip that they may never escape from. The idea may make sense to a stone age culture in which burnt offerings were the order of the day but it doesn't resonate with anything observable in present day reality so should be discreetly dropped. Churchheads should work out another way to attract their converts.

Children should not be subjected to this nonsense in my humble opinion.

Relative Peace.
 skypoetone
Msg: 37
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:56:59 PM
I will assume that the OP is referring to the Christian God; in this case I must also assume that to hate this God one would have to believe it exists. If this is so I can understand why tens of millions would, I did, until I began to think outside the box, that this perceived God was not the one I resonated with... it was impossible for me to believe that such a God could have so many flaws. I would suggest taking the none-hateful pluralism route - it works for me. :)
 Just alittle crazy
Msg: 38
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:31:49 PM

it was impossible for me to believe that such a God could have so many flaws. I would suggest taking the none-hateful pluralism route - it works for me. :)

Why do you feel sky: that God has so many flaws? Could you have done better at all he created? Could you have done better to have man have free will and decide for himself whats Good or Evil? So many things I could ask. What is pluralism?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 39
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:35:15 PM

[FYI, I don't hate G-d. But I can see why some people do. He's got a wicked sense of humour, and some people don't like being the butt of G-d's jokes. ]

You beleive God has singled you out as someone to be picked on?
Definitely. People have been telling me I'd have the world at my feet if I could only "get my act together" since I was 5. No-one else has managed to straighten me out. But G-d seems to know just how to push me to become a much stronger and capable person.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 40
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:44:13 PM

What is pluralism?
Courtesy of Wiki:

Religious pluralism (rel. comparative religion) is a loosely defined term concerning peaceful relations between different religions, and is also used in a number of related ways:

Religious Pluralism may describe the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions.
Religious pluralism often is used as a synonym for ecumenism. At a minimum, ecumenism is the promotion of unity, co-operation, or improved understanding between different religions, or denominations within the same religion
As a synonym for religious tolerance, which is a condition of harmonious co-existence between adherents of different religions or religious denominations.
Adherents of religious pluralism recognize that different religions make different truth claims. For example, most Christians believe that Jesus was God incarnate and that he died for the salvation of humanity while Buddhists believe that enlightenment liberates the soul from the cycle of rebirth so that it may enter into Nirvana. Christians do not claim that Christ leads to Nirvana nor are Buddhists claiming that Buddha is the son of God.
I pluralism :)
 skypoetone
Msg: 41
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:57:03 PM
Why do you feel sky: that God has so many flaws? Could you have done better at all he created? Could you have done better to have man have free will and decide for himself whats Good or Evil? So many things I could ask. What is pluralism?

I don't think that God per se has flaws... this is where most Christian have problems with perception. Let me explain... step back a moment, imagine if you can that God was used to develop the idea of law and order for peoples who really didn't have any... a good idea at the time, maybe... but now look what it's been turned into... a premise for humankind to live up to. The good and evil you refer, and every single action/reaction, has been shackled by a hierarchy for thousands of years and heralded as the word of God. You asked "what is pluralism?" To me it is the heart and soul of existence and tolerance; a variety peoples opinions, within their own societies, to think for themselves and conclude that we are all ONE and part of the ONE... none are separate, and that's how I see God.
 Just alittle crazy
Msg: 42
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:14:24 PM
Well thanks for explaining pluralism. I can see that mixing things up a bit and pick and choice what is truth to some and what makes them feel I guess complete to them. Can maybe work for some But its not me. And it reminds me of a "Burger King Religion" You know I am using a metaphor. The slogan as I remember was "Have it your way at Burger King" You know, hold the pickle hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Something like that. Just pick and choose whats right for you. You know that happens in Christianity too being there is so many dominations. I Hope it works for those that see it that way.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 43
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:20:06 PM
^^ dripping with much more than special sauce there...
 lebensbaum
Msg: 44
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/2/2008 11:48:16 PM
@ Clarence Clutterbuck

Here's a girl in comfortable sweat pants with a reply that I find satisfying.

The wage of sin is death both physical and spiritual, ie., seperation from God. If someone were responsible for my life because they created me then it would meet the demands of justice for them to pay that wage for me. That same being could also then be my mediator because he paid for me.

The logistics of that? I have no clue!

I find it unfortunate that your experience with Christianity left you laboring under a burden of guilt. It's good news that someone paid for your sins! You don't have to carry that burden around.
 Csonka
Msg: 45
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/3/2008 5:05:19 AM
From the OP, if he hates god, be careful that you don't anger him, and be careful about anyone coming to your house between say, 1 am and 3 am. It happened to my friend, she "ran" and he had an accident pursuing her, and went to hospital.

Have a plan and friend who can help you.

God and man, both have an inate sense of justice. What am I or what are you without justice. Like not having eyes, or blood, or a warm body...

We question god for lack of justice, and we question god for strong justice. Those murderers mentioned if they truly repent, completely change heart and turn to god, so that no one blasphemes, he will discipline them. David's child of adultery dies, questionable? Absolom dies...

It is a good side of justice that god will preserve any one he can from death in the spirit. It is like work for the sense of justice to push and pull by faith an agreement with Jesus and justice, and to show mercy at the right times, a spiritual effort, but worthwhile. If the victim's family have faith Jesus will justly restore, by the blood of the cross.

The repentant are cleansed of evil thoughts and diffused with justice and must forgive all and show equal mercy and generosity, witness in prison.

I was a Catholic Pentecostal, and as such believed in protestant ideas and Catholic ones such as praying for the dead, in the holy spirit...

I prayed for my nanna, after she died a questionable death. She had odd beliefs, educated only to year 6. She loved Germany, they could do no wrong. "England attacked Germany starting WW2."... Nice loving nanna, not military... She died of cancer, letting herself go, not fighting much, accepting her fate. After she died there were prophetic words about a person not rightly giving up and letting go rather than hoping for healing, as my father and I wanted for her. She was given preachings to listen to...

I wanted mercy for her. The preacher was not the type I admired, who would go out on a limb in intercession, vouch for you, almost as if you were their personal cause.

My mum had a dream of my nanna, in suffering, asked me to pray. I prayed god take her to the mercy seat. I asked a Catholic prayer minister to lay hands on me in her place, and as he did, he said he sensed the holy spirit move. I knew him from years before.

After a while outside Catholicism, I heard protestant Pentecostals say there is no praying for the dead. I don't yet understand, can't teach on this matter. I must yet check the verses... humble here.

And a protestant brother from Korea who saw WW2 attrocities, was called to preach in Japan, he was angry but went grudgingly. He couldn't preach while in the pulpit, but they went forward and applied Jesus blood to him, and it moved him to forgive them. There is power in the blood.
 Sckoul
Msg: 46
If you HATE God
Posted: 4/3/2008 3:52:27 PM
No reason to hate God or the invisiable man. Really in life things are your fault if you mess up and if you do good you should take the creidt! Dont hate anything that really has no bearing on your day or life and that you cant see the physical form of. lol
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 47
If you HATE God
Posted: 7/14/2011 3:36:45 PM
I absolutely do not believe in god but I have friends that do. Your friend and you have to just learn to agree to disagree and drop it or stop being friends.
 forumschick
Msg: 48
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:00:04 PM

Seems pretty silly for someone to hate a nonexistent being.

Count,

Technically, if we have a being it exists, does it not?
In other words, I know what you are saying, but your 'nonexistent being' term seems contradictory to me. Again, English isn't my native language and I am still learning, so please don't be offended because it is a genuine question...

Furthermore, God doesn't exists in our world like you and I; God simply is.

forumschick
Msg: 49
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 7/18/2011 10:02:14 AM

Wow, so all of the many thousands of gods are real?
Unless of course, we observe the fallacious reasoning.

On the other hand, Odin promised to rid the world of all ice giants.

See any ice giants lately?
(a cookie for he/she who can identify the fallacy here)

Irregulator:
Guess you failed to see my point; or simply refused to see it...

I don't much care for cookies, but I am going to take a shot at it. On second thought, I am somewhat interested in your elaboration on it...
 forumschick
Msg: 50
view profile
History
If you HATE God
Posted: 7/26/2011 9:23:34 AM

The poster you replied to specifically said "nonexistent being". You responded by referring to an "existing being". The two terms are not the same, hence; Straw Man fallacy.

Um no, it was really a genuine question and I reiterate: I understood what he meant or that he was referring to God, as the nonexistent being. I was asking strictly to find out if whether or not those two words used together were in fact a contradiction in itself or if the term was simply lost in translation.

English is my second language, now I still think in my native language, and in the same, those two words together are a contradiction or impossibility at best, but wasn’t sure it was the same in the English language.

So there goes your ‘fallacy’ argument; because that part of my post wasn’t to contradict the poster in the subject at hand at all. It was a genuine question and I was expecting an answer to it for my own information and reference.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > If you HATE God