Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Formithonguy
Msg: 76
short women/tall menPage 4 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Most of the posts here have officially bored me to tears... sorry, except for annie1xxxx. You remind me: I used to be a dance instructor and had a gorgeous student who was 5'11" (I'll call her Sylvia). I was 25 and she was 32. We danced well at the studio, then she wanted me for private lessons, then we went out to amaze people at the clubs. She loved to dance with me because I had technique, was in control and fun to be with... not because I could manhandle her or look "the appropriate height" standing next to her. And I was fun because she let me be fun. We were novel, and our affection for each other over rode what should have been an awkward pairing, especially where partner dancing is concerned. We became VERY good friends, very close. I'll be candid, she liked that I didn't smash her in bed; and that we could see eye to eye lying down and kiss while making love. She had longer legs mostly so our torsos closely matched, and her legs nicely folded over my shoulders at the same time. Tiny women and large guys can't as easily enjoy that kind of thing, if at all. Private parts were a comfortable fit too. Could I pick her up and bang her against the wall as well? Yes. Back then I would never have divulged these things and it still feels ungentlemanly, but these days anything goes and people demand to know everything. The point is tall or big guys don't corner the market on lovemaking either. Furthermore, just today I saw that a short female acquaintance of mine had a horrible bruising on her arm... I asked about it and it was from her (now ex) boyfriend, though I wouldn't call him a friend. We both started to tear up, and I leaned into her and whispered "we're not all like that".

Sylvia was my biggest fan and often went out of her way to talk me up to everyone she met, and visa versa. In actual competition, she needed a taller partner, but in the real world, public and private, I stood ten feet tall in her eyes, and we remained friends years after I moved away. My point though is SHE was one in a million, and defying the typical height bias was the easiest thing for her to do, because she had a good heart and an open mind. To this day women and young ladies are surprised that, providing they give me a chance, I'm not only a decent lead (dancer) but a fun, caring, interesting guy. So social popularity and the confidence that comes from being "the right height?" has nothing to do with it. Annie, my old friend and I have the following in common... we can see how "the chosen" ones fawn over, lure and crave each other for an old fashioned, shallow and limiting characteristic.
 annie1xxxx
Msg: 77
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/18/2008 4:10:13 PM
thank you for the compliment very well writen response
 Snarkysmachine
Msg: 78
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:29:00 PM
As I've stated elsewhere, tall guys (generally over 6'2) seem to love me (5'1). I don't seek them out or have a preference. i date what's available and try not to question it. My partner now is 6'5.
 meeshcake
Msg: 79
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:35:38 PM

As I've stated elsewhere, tall guys (generally over 6'2) seem to love me (5'1).

Yep -me too - I'm 5'0" and I've dated several men who were 6 feet or over. Not because I prefer tall men (I don't have a height preference at all), but because it just worked out that way.
 star611
Msg: 80
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:38:09 PM
i am only 5'2 and find that most men i've dated are much taller than i am. however, there is a huge draw back. i've had way to many men ask if they could pick me up, i mean, like a doll or a small child! i find that quite annoying!
 Falling Ember
Msg: 81
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:58:15 PM
Why is it when women are attracted to tall men they're shallow, but when they're attracted to short men they're the cat's meow? Interesting distinction Formithonguy. Gotta love selective judgment.

I'm 5', and the vast majority of men that approach me are over 6'. I don't set tiger traps and only date the men that are tall enough to climb out. I work with what approaches me. In my neck of the woods, the short men go for the average height girls. It doesn't bother me because everyone has theirs likes and dislikes. I've been rejected for my height plenty of times.

I do prefer a man to be taller than me, which means height is rarely an issue. I can work with anything over 5'1", so I feel like I'm pretty open-minded. Then again, I've been called plenty of names for not being sexually attracted to dwarves.

From what I can tell of these boards, and specifically the dreaded, "Short guys need love too" threads, if women find taller men sexier than shorter men we're heartless, shallow, callous beasts deserving of nothing but a houseful of cats and misery. If we don't find taller men sexier than short men, then we're a diamond in the rough deserving all the joy and love in the world.

Agree with men = we're good people. Disagree with men = we're bad people. Funny how that works.
 Flakk
Msg: 82
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:33:03 AM
My ex was 6' 2'' I am 5' 7''. I loved every inch of that woman.

we had all kinds of funny cracks about it too. her girlfriend braught up the Duce Bigalow thing, I used to say "its never wise to upset a wookie." when she was mad. She used to bend over at the hips to look me in the eye when she was being condecending.

good times.

her height never caused me to think less of myself or her. I loved being with a hot 6 foot blond. So much so we almost got married.

Height wouldnt have mattered to me if our rolls were reversed.
 blondie1958
Msg: 83
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/22/2008 3:50:57 AM
Well i recently sent a message to aguy whose 6'5 just to say hi and me being 5'9 didnt think it would be a problem only to get told i was too tall for him and he preferred shorter women. Fair enough obviously he needs to feel a big man by what ever means possible. Either that or just dosent like leggy blondes.
 blonde by Design
Msg: 84
short women/tall men
Posted: 8/22/2008 4:28:38 AM
I'm 5"4.. have dated men from 5'6 to 6'4.
the comments men make are interesting at times, really it's all about perspective, taller men will say me they love how little I am, while a man who had about 40lbs on me and was 3 inches taller said 'You're not little'
and I would have to agree that there are quite a lot of tall (6'+) men than seek out much shorter women.
 tall_athletic
Msg: 85
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:19:17 PM
how can you not like the words 'leggy' and 'blonde' in that order!!

Some guys. Sorry on behalf of our bit of the species!
 Chevy_High_Ridin
Msg: 86
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:31:09 PM
I'm only 5'1 and my last boyfriend was 6'4..haah and it didn't matter to him not one bit..I think alot of tall guys like short girls..from my exprience anyway..I will really only date tall guys...Thats just me though. But no guy has ever not liked me because of that..I think its more the other way around.

celts123
Msg: 87
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:58:49 PM

I would have to agree that there are quite a lot of tall (6'+) men than seek out much shorter women.

Generally women care more about height than men do. I think many taller men ( 6 ft tall or above ) would date a taller woman if they had a chance. However there aren't many oppurtunities to do so. Less than 5% of women are 5'9" or taller. On other hand, I have seen many of profiles where a short woman wants a much taller man. For example a 5'2" woman is looking for a man who is at least 5' 10". There are plenty of available men that are under 5'10".
 Wench2pointOh
Msg: 88
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/7/2008 4:46:11 PM
I have always liked taller men myself. I was raised to take care of myself but I get a small thrill asking my (at the moment hypothetical) guy to pull something down from the top shelf that I cant reach without getting a chair. I put it under the category of like to haves in a guy but not a demand.
 capricorn40
Msg: 89
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:13:40 PM

Well i recently sent a message to aguy whose 6'5 just to say hi and me being 5'9 didnt think it would be a problem only to get told i was too tall for him and he preferred shorter women. Fair enough obviously he needs to feel a big man by what ever means possible. Either that or just dosent like leggy blondes.

What the hell is wrong with people?!?!?
Why in Chuck Norris's name would a man that is 6'5 turned down a woman much shorter than him, for another "mythical" woman even shorter?
I'm just not getting that one.
I am 6'6 and I once dated a woman 6'3. she loved to wear heels so we would be the exact same height. It was incredible fun. The only reason we broke up was because she relocated on the other side of the world.
I am currently dating someone that is 5'0. Not because I sought out shorter women. It just happened that way.
I do know women around 5'0 to 5'4 tend to approach me more and actively pursue me more than their taller counter parts.
I'm a lazy dater. I tend to go out with women interested in me.
 phishkev
Msg: 90
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:49:32 AM
Why not? What gives? Attraction is attraction-who cares? Let it ride!!
 she_smiles
Msg: 91
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/8/2008 11:20:08 AM
I dont date really tall guys, hehe i once went on a date with a guy who was 6'7 lol i was at his waist..
 hapeenurse
Msg: 92
short women/tall men
Posted: 10/8/2008 11:46:37 AM
I'm short, vertically challenged, small stature, whatver you want to call it , 5'3 in shoes standing on my tippy toes and it's never ever been an issue with dating!

Agree that guys have more trouble when it comes to their height - I know a lot of women who won't give a shorter guy a chance - whatever, their loss!

the shortest guy I've dated was 5'6 the tallest 6'2 'ish .
 chuckyB51
Msg: 93
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/1/2008 4:45:02 PM
Great article by Steve Penner the founder of LunchDates.

Women hypocrites for refusing to date short men
By Steve Penner
August 15, 2008 6:00 AM
The first column I wrote three years ago dealt with the single issue that bugged me the most during the 23 years I ran the dating service LunchDates. Frankly, it was the aggravation caused by this issue that partially motivated me to start writing these columns.

I am referring to single women's prejudice against meeting short men. Since I doubt that too many current readers actually saw that column, I decided to revisit the topic. After all, this is one area in which many women display all the shallowness and superficiality that they love to accuse men of possessing.

The same woman who is 10-20 pounds overweight, and who cannot understand why a man might not want to date her because of those few extra pounds ...; that same woman often will refuse to meet a man who is 2 inches shorter than her "ideal."

During my years at LunchDates I interviewed women who were very flexible about a man's religion, his hobbies, and even whether he was divorced. But the one criterion they would not budge on was his height!

I am not just talking about tall women. It is certainly understandable that a woman who is 5 feet 10 inches might want to meet a man over 6 feet tall. (In fact, though, the few women who stated that they were open to meeting men shorter than themselves tended to be taller women.)

What really perplexed me was the number of short women who insisted that they only would date men considerably taller than themselves. It was very common for women 5 feet 4 inches or under to state that they "absolutely" only wanted to meet a man at least 5 feet 10 inches, and they really preferred 6 feet.

I find it amazing how many women have attached an almost magical meaning to the height of 6-feet tall. If society tended to describe people in terms of inches rather than feet, I wonder how attractive it would sound to hear a man described as "72 inches tall," rather than "70 inches."

If you are skeptical, have a single man you know place an ad on an Internet dating site saying that he is 6 feet. Than have another man place an identical ad except for stating that he is only 5 feet 10 inches. I guarantee that the first ad will attract nearly twice as many responses from women!

Now many of the women I interviewed at LunchDates were "modern" women who insisted on equality in every way ...; except height. That is, they were educated, had good jobs, and earned a decent income. They only wanted to meet men who also were educated, had good jobs, and earned a decent income.

But those men also had to be tall! When pushed to the wall and asked their reasons, they replied with some of the following excuses:

"I usually wear shoes with at least three to four-inch heels," some women responded very naturally. They also frequently pointed out that many boots have even higher heels. So these women would add at least three to four inches to their own height just to pull even, then another few inches to make sure that the man on their arm was still taller.
"My father, my brother, and all the men in my family are over 6 feet, so that is what I am used to," one women stated, insisting that she KNEW that the average height of men was around 6 feet. When I tried to tell her that the median height of men was between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 9 inches, she got up and angrily marched out of the interview room!
"I am short, and I am looking for a man to father my children, and I don't want to have short children," a number of women told me, with a straight face, I might add.
"I just feel safer when I walk down the street with a man who is much taller than me," was also a common response.
"I am only attracted to tall men, I just can't help it!"

So where does this height bias leave short men? Behind the proverbial eight-ball, I am sad to say. After all, take a woman who is only 5 feet 2 inches, add three to four inches for her "heels," another two to three inches so she can feel safe, and lo and behold, it is not unusual for such a women to refuse to meet any man under 5 feet 9 inches. That means she is eliminating about one-half of the male population.

I was especially disheartened when interviewing a man under 5 feet 6 inches. After all, it is easy to tell a single man or woman who smokes a pack a day that he or she would have a much higher Dating Quotient (that is be easier to match) if he or she quit smoking. It is a little more awkward to tell a woman who is very overweight that she will be difficult to match unless she drops a few pounds.

But a smoker can quit, and an overweight woman can lose weight. But there is not much a short man can do.

Fortunately I am not referring to all women. There are (and were) exceptions.

For research purposes, I occasionally would glance through my dating service's "married file," (a file that obviously contained the profiles of couples who met and married through LunchDates). I noted that many of the women in that file had stated in their interview that they really cared very little how tall their matches were, and that flexibility had translated into a very successful membership.

Then I looked through the file of people who had completed their membership at LunchDates without meeting anyone. Sure enough, it was full of those women who had insisted they would only meet men much taller than themselves.

Over the years I became increasingly frustrated by many women's lack of flexibility in this area. Once I decided I was really going to "negotiate" with a short woman who was insisting that she only wanted to meet men over 6 feet. The woman had just stated that she was looking to get married and have children.

"You realize that if you are talking about growing old with a man, most people shrink a couple of inches as they hit old age," I said.

The woman paused, thought about what I said, then responded "Well, if he's going to shrink, all the more reason to only meet someone very tall!"

Steve Penner was the owner of the Boston-based dating service LunchDates for nearly 23 years
 1SmartBlond
Msg: 94
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/1/2008 5:29:05 PM
I'm 5' 1" and I prefer short guys over tall guys. I just feel more comfortable with men closer to my height.
 CJ_Spaz
Msg: 95
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 2:03:28 AM
Yes tall men date/marry short women. I am 5' on the money never been an issue for me. Good Luck.
 Tessie101
Msg: 96
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:58:57 AM
chuckyb51, very interesting article by Steve Penner. I hope people take note and give it some consideration. I hate to think there are wonderful people being tossed aside due to their height. Says a lot about our modern society!
 Formithonguy
Msg: 97
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 10:37:40 AM
Good contribution chuckyb51 on 11/1/2008 402 PM.

A very well written and convincing grass roots study. I've seen plenty of wide ranging, long standing, all inclusive collections of info on this topic, and Steve supports them without going into the endless data and analysis that some people don't care to consider. Steve stated his observations and conclusions easily and briefly enough to get the point across. Entrenched bias takes time to fade from the populace, and it's brave articles and forums like these that whittle away to the point when it's a faint memory.

By way of illustrating that point from just what I see in this forum on up to an historic turning point in our culture - the girl who wove into her rant (against my contribution here) that she defends her preference to consort with a man she deems ideal height, rather than "a dwarf"... I say is akin to referring to a man of color the "n" word. This kind of prejudice calls out to be seen for what it is, with honest enlightenment and public shaming to counter a dehumanizing attitude. Yesterday the public voted in a black man for president of our country... it wouldn't hurt the dating public to take note that a man under 6 foot in height IS a man... just as worthy of a woman's company as his taller brothers.
 classy BBW
Msg: 98
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 11:41:15 AM
Im 5'8" and can't get past the height thing.....BIG PROBLEM WITH ME.... I prefer a man taller than 6'2". Some consider this shallow but It's actually a preference .
 Formithonguy
Msg: 99
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 12:07:41 PM
Im 5'8" and can't get past the height thing.....BIG PROBLEM WITH ME.... I prefer a man taller than 6'2". Some consider this shallow but It's actually a preference .

Semantics, BBW. One could call it a fixation too. Nothing physically or otherwise wrong with a minor variance in either direction. It's the shortest and tiniest women fixated on the tallest and heaviest guys which is the main issue and biggest problem that dilutes and pollutes the dating pool. It creates a detrimental imbalance in many ways for everyone... everyone. That lone "preference" unrealistically and far too outweighs the more important qualities people could be open to and enjoy in their interpersonal relationships. If hypothetically I were suddenly changed into a tall man or short woman, I would not forget or forsake what I've learned about this and I'd carry on pointing it out. My voice would probably be heard too. ;)
 Mixxolydian
Msg: 100
view profile
History
short women/tall men
Posted: 11/6/2008 12:43:45 PM
I know plenty of guys who prefer short and petite women. I have a friend whose 6' 3" who prefers his women 5' 2" or shorter. He says he likes the feeling of towering over his "doll babies" and encasing them in his long arms. To each his own I guess. I like my women to be between 5' 4" and 5' 10". Preferably on the taller side.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > short women/tall men