Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Harry Peter
Msg: 26
Your thoughts on the Church of ScientologyPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
A lot of info. on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Anytime you have a group of people gather, there's bound to be good and bad in differing degrees. When it comes to relgious type stuff, you can be garunteed there will be bad.

Scientology is no more a scam than other religions if you think about it. I've found it to be less of one.
 MoonWalrus
Msg: 27
Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:48:48 AM
JacksSmerkingRevenge, chill out man. Buddhism teaches in "human reincarnation", which means that the world population should stay static. It does not and it never has stayed static. If a human can reincarnate into a roach, then I am guilty of killing thousands of previous humans (i.e. someone's grandmother!) because I kill insects. Scientology teaches that pain and suffering are caused by "engrams", and not by "brainwashed alien souls". I have read Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard but I have also read the King James Bible. I am a Judeo-Christian but Scientology is still better than Hinduism or Celtic paganism any day of the week. I believe that Ghandi, and the prophet Muhammad, are in Hell.
 JacksSmerkingRevenge
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:00:03 AM
Actually, Buddhism teaches it's followers how to break the cycle of death and rebirth.

Scientology is just like any religion; if it works for the follower, coolness. However, I'll doubt any program that offers to "save" people for a nominal fee. Hinduism, and the pagan religion atleast offers their insights for free to anyone whom wishes to learn about them.

Maybe Ghandi and Mohammad believe your in hell.
 LilNikki
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/18/2006 11:14:04 AM
MoonWalrus,
Serious questions, as I'm very curious...why do you believe that Scientology is better than Hinduism or Celtic paganism?
And why do you believe Gandhi and Mohammed are in hell?
 MoonWalrus
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:01:19 PM
I believe that Muhammad is in Hell because he "raped" a 9 year old girl. Not only that, but the 53 year old Muhammad openly bragged about it and told other men to do it too. Muhammad requires bodily mutilation of 12 year old boys (circumcision). Ouch! Muhammad said that the Moon creates its own light source. Idiot! Hindus worship cows and elephants (idol worshipping fools). Ghandi was a Hindu so he is in Hell with many cows and elephants. Even if L. Ron Hubbard is wrong at least he is intelligent... nobody else has been able to create a new religion in the twentieth century. Jim Jones and David Koresh died and so did their religions.
 sidheanwwyn
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:09:42 PM
ever wonder if the people who run their mouths about that which they know next to nothing ever realize how dumb they sound?

hubbard was out to make money, and did a good job, because there will always be idiots who will fall for anything. all you have to do is pander to the egos of the dummies, telling them that "only the smart people will be into this", and you can convince some people of anything. good example - the whole silent birth crap. forget how loud the womb is (we're talking like a jet taking off), and the fact that the baby has been hearing parents voices for a long time... idiots. it's not really noise that bothers newborns, but rather cold and light.
 JacksSmerkingRevenge
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:19:41 PM

Muhammad requires bodily mutilation of 12 year old boys (circumcision)

So? What about over her in the west where it is customer to "mutilate" new born babies with circumcision?

Muhammad said that the Moon creates its own light source. Idiot!

Yeah, what a fool for not knowing what nobody else did 1500 years ago.

Hindus worship cows and elephants (idol worshipping fools)

Hindu's do not worship cows and elephants. Cows are considered sacred to Hindu's, but they do not worship them. As for elephants; they are part of India's culture, and have little to do with the Hindu religion.

Even if L. Ron Hubbard is wrong at least he is intelligent... nobody else has been able to create a new religion in the twentieth century

Many people have; Henry Gardner and Li Hongzhi for starters.
 MoonWalrus
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:33:25 PM
Muslims try to justify their Koran by scientific evidence. Unfortunately, science easily disproves the Koran on numerous occasions. According to the Koran, Alexander the Great was a Muslim! Mountains prevent earthquakes! The moon has its own light source! The Sun dips itself into the ocean every night! Muhammad assumed the earth was flat! These facts prove that Islam is worthless. Circumcision is not a requirement out here in the West, it is voluntary for everyone. Many African-Muslim girls are required to go through a circumcision because of Islam. Ouch! Nobody has ever heard of Henry Gardner or Li Hongzhi, except for you! Science has had a much harder time trying to disprove the King James Bible, however.
 Robin2361
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/19/2006 9:20:29 PM
MoonWalrus your views are profound. Dissenters will always attack, rather than reason.
Stay open, but be careful with the Islam references. At least make sure your address is always hidden. Ya know?
R.
 shore66
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:42:05 AM

Scientology is not that bad of a religion. Hollywood stars seem to being doing okay with it.

But isn't it interesting that the only Scientologists you hear about are high profile entertainers? And that none of them were brought up with it, but embraced it as adults?

It has been aroung long enough that there should be a generation of Scientologists, who, having been raised in the "religion," would be making names for themselves in other fields.
 mallakka
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/1/2006 1:54:08 AM
also: excommunication still exsists today within the Scientologists it is called being DECLARED

this has a horrific effect on you within the Church community and it is immediate, imagine a combination of middle ages stye ex communication added to the Index (ala the Pope) and a public rebucking all in one.
This Declaration will split mothers from son's,,, your best friends won't give you the time of day
and has often caused wives to leave husbands (or visa versa)..NO ONE can or will ever speak with you...

HAIL ,, the all friendly Church of Scientology

should be called "" The Institution of Ambiguity""
 nightlord
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/8/2006 5:13:07 PM
*AHEM*

Right, because the Christian church has never been guilty of this. As a matter of fact, it still is. Just let your congregation discover some of these things you're doing. If they do not agree with your lifestyle, or just one act, they can turn on you like a pack of wolves. They can turn their children against your children. Ect.
Don't act like Scientology is introducing any new evils to the realm of religion.
 Lord Dave
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/8/2006 7:39:12 PM
(if you don't want to read my rant to moon, feel free to skip to the last paragraph)
Wow moon, I sense great hostility from you.

First off, I haven't seen any muslim try to defend the koran using science. If anything they don't defend it, they simply accept it, just like most christians accept the bible. And instead of debating about it, they'll simply try to kill you for not believing. (atleast that's what the koran tells them they should do to non-believers, from what I understand anyway)
Also, ALL religions had odd things in their works of literature. The geicentric theory, which the Roman Cathlic Church fully endorsed and refused to let anyone (gallileo) contradict comes to mind.

Next, last time I checked, I didn't have a choice in the matter of circumcisions. Then again I was 5 min. old. Also in Jewish traditions, circumcision is also required. And when they do it, they do it at a party. Also, low and behold, Christianity is a DIRECT incarnation of Judaism. Jesus was, after all, Jewish. So it stands to reason that Jesus himself wouldn't have seen anything wrong with circumcisions.

Next, if I understand correctly, Buddism does't believe in reincarnation. They simply believe that they are part of the universe, everything is subjective to question, and nothing is certain. As they get more and more "enlightened" they cease to referr to themselves as "I" because to a pure buddist monk, their existance is a mind inside a physical vessel and it is the vessel that has a name, not the mind.

Finally,
Science does't have an easier or harder time proving any religion wrong because all religions use beings that can not be seen, touched, examined, or scientifically tested. And all the events are so far into the past that actually finding out what really happened in that corner of the world tends to be difficult. Then again it's impossible when god can make it seem like the earth took billions of years to form. You know, to throw us off.

Now that my rant on scientology:
It's like every other religion on earth. My major concern with it is that it almost sounds like science and that is most definetly what it is not. If they called it something else, then I wouldn't care as much.
 CountIbli
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/10/2006 9:20:19 AM

Muhammad requires bodily mutilation of 12 year old boys (circumcision).

Mosaic Law also required circumcision. In America (possibly elsewhere) it's common practice for Christians to have their sons circumcised. It's a horrible practice that should be stopped.

Muhammad said that the Moon creates its own light source. Idiot!

The Bible says the same thing.

nobody else has been able to create a new religion in the twentieth century.

Well there's Wicca that's going might strong. Dozens of other religions have popped up in the 20th century.

Jim Jones and David Koresh died and so did their religions.

David Koresh did not create Branch Davidianism. IIRC, it splintered off of the Seventh Day Adventists in the 1920's. The people who escaped the conflagration in Waco retained their religion.
 CountIbli
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/10/2006 9:21:56 AM

Muhammad assumed the earth was flat!

So did the writers of the Bible.
 nipoleon
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2006 10:21:14 AM
I've tried to read Dianetics but have always found it boring, shallow, and unimpressive.
There's nothing there regarding religion or philosophy which can't be found in other and older sources and done much better.
I don't want to belittle anyone who follows any religion with devotion.
But in my opinion, Scientology is rather frivolous.
 Foxglove19
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/10/2006 11:30:35 AM
All I can say is...
 DXinAZ
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/11/2006 1:38:05 PM
Foxglove19...
I absolutely love your post! That is the attitude that everyone should have...and would have if they'd simply do a little research on their own instead of allowing themselves to be spoonfed information about Scientology by Scientologists.

In the case of Lawrence Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology of California, "Scientology's counseling practices were found to be dangerous in the first jury decision of the LA Superior Court. These dangerous counseling practices were also found to be the cause of Lawrence Wollersheim being driven to the brink of insanity. The court record further states that the severe bipolar disorder, which Wollersheim suffered, was a direct result of the dangerous nature of Scientology's counseling practices applied to Wollersheim."

Scientology is none other than a pyramid scam that utilizes a process of coercive thought reform to recruit and retain it's membership. Members are entitled to 15% of the money paid for courses and "auditing" by members that they bring in under them. The process of auditing is none other than authoritarian hypnosis which is combined with other tactics of coercive persuasion such as abridging the members' privacy, social relationships, correspondence, and phone calls. A very large portion of the Church's doctrine is not even shared with a new member until they reach the secret "OT" levels of training. By then, their self-concept, perception of reality, and social relationships have been so modified, and they have been so deceived, controlled, and manipulated that they either leave Scientology and spend a substantial amount of time in therapy attempting to deal with their anger over how badly they had been taken advantage of, or they stay in because of the threat that personal and potentially embarrassing information that was gleaned from them during their many hours of "auditing" might be revealed if they were to leave, or they commit suicide.

L. Ron Hubbard was a master stage hypnotist as well as an evil genious. He knew that hypnosis is a natural state of altered awareness. Under the right circumstances, a person can become addicted to the state of altered awareness that is induced by auditing in much the same way that a drug addict is addicted to the altered state of awareness that is induced by their drug of choice.

Hubbard also knew that in order for a subject to be hypnotized successfully, they needed to have 1) motivation, 2)expectation, 3) a belief system, 4) a good imagination, 5) conviction, 6) concentration, and 7) education, and he created a vehicle to ensure that this would be the case. That vehicle is Scientology, of which the main practice is auditing, which is not free. L. Ron Hubbard's plan worked so well that he was worth an estimated $40 million at the time of his death.

Once the truth about Scientology becomes common knowledge, his name will be placed right alongside Adolph Hitler's with the pain and suffering that he has caused as well as the countless lives and relationships that Scientology has destroyed. The only difference is that L. Ron Hubbard's evil survived him in death and even went on to get the stamp of approval by the U.S. government.
 So-Called Chaos
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/20/2006 9:52:39 AM
The "church" of Scientology was founded by a science fiction author Ron L. Hubbard. He once said the way to get rich the fastest was to start a new religion.

If you look at the basic teachings of the system. We are all inhabited by aliens souls that must be released in order for us to live normal lives. This takes thousands and thousands of dollars to do.

Many people's lives have been destroyed by this brain-washing cult. One example was of a young man who threw himself to his death clutching the last twenty dollars he had. This was only 6 months after joining the "church".

If this cult was really interested in helping people, then why do these "cleansing" sessions cost a ridiculous amount of money?

Just something to think about.

Kara
~Chaos
 magicfingers1
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/20/2006 8:39:56 PM
P.T. Barnum said it best~there's a sucker born every minute~
 Brownsugar1313
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2006 9:36:45 PM
What do I think of The Church of Scientology...hmmmmmmm well WEIRD....WEIRD and uhm WEIRD...in that same light....I also assume to know nothing of the religion......If I understood it better then I would be able to have a decent opinion other than weird....I'm just going off what I have heard online and the whole silent birth....anti-depressants are evil debates I've been bombarded with on television......

I do however respect everyone's religion of choice because I would want the courtesy returned........

So far I've come to the conclusion that I cannot become Catholic...that whole sex before marriage thing and whorshipping Mary is just not my cup of tea.

Can't become Mormon because the whole Joesph Smith thing and the book or Mormon taking place in the South Americas or where is very confusing....there is a prophet who has disciples then when he gets the message from God, he passes it on to the 12, who pass it on to 75, who then pass it on to the church leaders etc etc.......Somewhere along the line (anyone remember that game telephone?) don't you think, the message is gonna get screwed up?
* Oh yeah that they beleive they are the one true church.....and have beef with the witnessess......

Can't be Scientologist because I just don't get it.......................

Can't be a Jehovah's witness because they have beef with the Mormons...lol....and they don't celebrate anything......man didn't JC turn wine into water at a party....come on people...

But..............................when they come to my door....I am polite and I listen and take the brochures and read em and all that....I just don't buy into it.
 tecrok
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/21/2006 10:23:33 PM
in india the people worship the cows , for the work they do in the fields,thats it.they also bless there chickens so they dont get sisk from eating them, and there women dress nicer at home for there men, then they do when they go out.

CHURCH of Scientology,
SCAM, CULT
SCAM,CULT
In the early 60's they believed there GOD LIVED ON THE MOON, until we sent a man there.then it was MARS, until we sent a satilite there. BlA>BlA>BlA>they might as well have read their s..t out of a pale like every body else.
 Cell_Belle_vwilli35
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2006 2:24:54 PM
As everyone knows the "Church of Scientology disaproves strongly ...just listen to Tom Cruise ...of pychiatrists and drugs...why then was L. Ron Hubbard taking pych drugs before he died?
He also proclaimed that he could make a million dollars by inventing a religion. Guess the laugh was on the people that bought that hype.
 Cell_Belle_vwilli35
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2006 2:26:51 PM
Hey I just saw your post on India. I'm Buddhist and we do not worship cows or chickens but have regard for all life. Get your facts straight.
Metta
 tecrok
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/22/2006 5:07:57 PM
learn how to read.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Your thoughts on the Church of Scientology