Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nottylady
Msg: 26
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
5 years ago I was forced to put the love of my life down. She was a large black and white Malamute. This dog was my shadow and my protector, she went everywhere I went.

She was diagnosed with cancer in her hip joint. When she got to the point that she suffered I could not deal with her pain and had to put her down. I cried non stop for 3 days. Nothing prepares you for that pain and nothing eases it.

I think that she knew that her time was drawing to an end. She was always leery about going out for a boat ride with me prefering to stay at the campsite but the last summer she would be the first one in the boat.

I know that I will never have another dog that will come close to being what she was. My best friend in life and always my protector. I have seen this dog leap over a coffee table to get to me when she thought I needed her. Stopped a breakin in progress, and chased an attacker away to keep her mom safe.

She is always close to my heart and I treasure my memories of her time with me. I know that she is watching out for me still, just has a higher view.
I will miss her until the day I die and we can be together again.
Funny I still can't eat an apple or carrot without feeling I need to share as these were her favorite treats.
 Deranged
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:58:28 AM
dan.

it would have been more cruel to bring him the 15 miles to the vet. you did the right thing and dont let anyone convince you different.
 BiteMe
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/18/2006 8:07:19 AM
Today is supposed to be an awesome day, one of my best friends moved to Calgary 2yrs ago and is finally coming back home today for good. My cousin flew out yesterday to meet her so she could drive back to Winnipeg with her and her 2 little Pomeranians. I've been so excited this week woke up this morning knowing she will be home this afternoon and the celebration will start.

Well the phone rang at 8:20am this morning and she is crying, has bad news. She had to have one of her babies put down in the middle of the night, had to stop in Swift Current(sp) and find a vet, poor little "Cisco" couldn't breath right.

Cisco was only 4yrs old, I was looking forward to seeing that little guy as much as I was to see my friend, those are her kids. So to my friend (whom is also a POF member and has also found love here) I am so very sorry for your loss Hugs & Kisses for you and Chiclet(Cisco's Mommy).
 kimkina
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/18/2006 3:37:13 PM
What about Chemo?

Do any of you have experience with putting a dog through chemo? It looks like an option but we won't do it if it will be too hard on her.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2006 11:13:52 PM
For your information,

ARE YOU AWARE THAT THERE IS "PET INSURANCE" available for situations where if your pet needs a vet ...costs can be defered ???

Part of what inspired me to start this thread was watching GREY"S ANATOMY ( by the way if anyone taped that last episode please tell me whether I can borrow the tape temporarily)
BUT
I was also inspired by an news article in the paper of a recent true story, of a guy who was biking in BC or ALBERTA ( can't remember where) . He had been biking along a steep bike trail with his dog when a black bear suddenly lunged out at him , knocking him off his bike and off the trail and down a steep slope. He was certain that the bear ceased the attack because his dog placed himself between him and the bear and kept barking until the bear left. He had been injured but he attributed his survival to his faithful and courageous dog.

Do you think one day when that dog of his gets old and sick he may have a hard time letting go???
 mysterious55
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/19/2006 1:46:04 PM
Yes, 6 weeks ago I had to put down my cat of 4 years, he was approximately 10 to 12 years old but I got him from a shelter as a stray. He had some very serious problems and it was heart wrenching to make the decision but i hads to do it for him. i even put something in the creative writing forum about him titled my big guy because he was such a freat pet. A few weeks later I got a German Shepherd puppy. (what a riot he is)
 Mysti Eyes
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/19/2006 2:23:44 PM
February 12, 2000

OMG...I cried so much that day...

Myself, my dad, & my late stepmother had a dog from when she was a puppy. She was the cutest ball of brown fur, so my dad called her "His Little Brown Round". She knew how to grin with her front teeth, she was able hop part-way down our old hallway on her hind legs, and was generally a happy dog! She even used to sleep in my bed with me when I was younger...her head would be right beisde mine, up near MY head. Gawd, sge SNORED, but I still loved her to pieces.

But 2 days before V-Day in 2000, her hips had gotten so bad with age (she was 12 and part german shepherd), and she had gotten a few strokes...Dad decided it was time to put her down. I can't even remember how much I cried, but I know it was enough for me that I missed a day of school.

A few days later, after I had gotten a few late birthday gifts (my b-day is in Jan...I got a cpl gifts in March), I found an old picture of my dad & our Little Brown Round snuggling on the couch. So, I took some birthday money, & said picture, went to Pets 101, & had my dad a custom mug made....& he still keeps it at work!

OMG I miss her so much...I see her "grinning" at me in my dreams occasionally, so I know she's happier. But still....
 kickin_40m
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/19/2006 6:25:21 PM
The truth of the matter is to alot of people they are not pets, but an extension of family. More so to someone who doesn't have children of their own. As such, any death of a loved one is a trying experience. I've lost a dog after 14 years, and 2 cats who I also had for ten years. I also lost a step-daughter and there is no measure stick for grief. It all hurts and never gets easier. There is no such thing as preparing for the death of a loved one. You can lie to yourself and say your ready, but you are doing just that. Lying!
 kimkina
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/22/2006 8:39:01 PM
Well.... she died today.
I was not home. Nobody was. My sister returned to find her lying on the dining room floor devoid of life. My sister left a harrowing message on my voicemail, "I wasn't even here with her when she died!". Our poor darling Loki passed so fast. She was to have a biopsy on her lymph nodes tomorrow morning but her cancer must have been further progressed than the vet thought. When I arrived at the house and saw her lifeless body, I fell to the floor. Stroking her face, I sobbed into her fur telling her I love her. I hope so much she just died in her sleep! I hope so deeply she was not in pain! I love that dog so much I know the coming months will be very difficult. It has only been five hours now and I miss her already. Eating dinner, she was not there with her big brown eyes silently begging me to share. She will not be outside my bedroom door in the morning with her little nub wagging to see me. Loss is always difficult, and I loved this family member most dearly. I'm a mess.
 av8rflygrl
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/22/2006 8:41:56 PM
Kimkina;
My heart goes out to you.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2006 8:46:02 PM
Hey Kim

I know how you feel.

Chin up.
 patrickc
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:06:07 PM
yes the day before my birthday 3 years ago I had to put cujo my pet bulldog down it was the hard thing that I have ever done. Her and my other bulldog got in to a fight and I tried to stop them and then she turned on me 40 some stiches later I had to make the choice it was the hardest thing that Ive ever had to do. I still hate thinking sbout it im 25 and went through a lot but this is the only thing that brings tears to my eyes still
Liam
 linen-saphire!
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/3/2007 7:28:37 AM
Putting down a animal is probably one of the hardest things we will do in lifetime, I have had to put down both one cat and 2 dogs over the years, OMG yah we think we are so tough yah right! Turns us into blabbering idiots the tears just start and dont stop for sometime,,, Even now just thinkin of them as i read this thread,, eyes get teary , but when an animal is sick to sick to save there is no other choice ,,

I can be a sap at times,,,,,,,,,,,, hahhahha "dont tell no one" ! and i to this day still have thier collars and fav toy,,,, they are put away and pictures omg more pics than my kids lol just kidding ,

ls
 sas007
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 7:57:16 AM
I think thats why people train to become Vets so we dont have to do it lol.

Well this Grey cup will be poignant for me this year my cat died this time last year.
Longest relationship Ive ever had with a female. Im wondering if I should stick with cats?????
 oodless
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:54:23 AM
after our cat, who found a way out of the house[ lil bugger], was hit by a car and had his back legs ran over, we took him to a vet. no chance for him so euthanization was called for. the vets[ two of them] couldn't do it the first or second shot. and they seemed more interested in the affects of the botched injections. " look, he can taste it, see him licking his mouth. notice the twitches." the third was the one that did it. the trauma of a loved one's fate resting in your hands and making the decision just to see this crap from two "trained " vets. was actually worse than the accident. don't know what the answer is but because of that incident i always recall it when i get the warm a fuzzys to get another pet. but lets not forget ppl, they are animals, and b4 you buy your precious a birthday party or arrange a marriage, think about the kids living a less enviable existence than your pet and donate that amount to a cause and get the cat a can of saradines and the dog a frisbee. they won't know.
 Malley
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/3/2007 8:21:16 PM
When you acquire an animal you know that chances are good that you will outlive them and that the inevitable will have to be faced ...

My beloved Zorka ... a smooth Collie that I adopted when she was 6 ... was with me for 7 years ... she had seen me through so much ... the sickness and eventual deaths of both my parents ... job loss ... empty nest ... she was always there and offered me nothing but pure unadulterated unconditional love ... eventually her kidneys began to fail ... but I was not ready to let go ... no one ever is ... I lay on the floor with her when she was put to sleep ... amazing how something can be so devastating yet so peaceful at the same time ... it struck me as so odd that this is considered the humane thing to do... yet a human is left to suffer and waste away slowly ... sometimes for years even decades ... I swore that I would never ever get another and put myself in this position again ... however ... two months later ... my boy was on a flight down to his forever home ... I got him sight unseen ... and the amazing thing is he looks just like her ... I like to think that Zorkas had a hand ... paw ? ... in getting us together ...
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:20:30 PM
Putting down my beloved Josie was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Ever. I still cry sometimes when I think of her and it's been more than 2 years. She had kidney failure and we suspect it was from eating fertilizer. She snuck out of the house one day and started getting sick after that. She always loved eating grass!
 ICUalways
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:23:59 AM
Our beautiful Gigi, is in doggy heaven now...... and this is her story...

2 Years ago I received a call from my mother weeping that Gigi was attacked by a German Shepard, mother was not having clarity due to her mumbling and weeping. Quickly I sprung into action and headed out to the country with my grandparents.

Mother was weeping at the table and I could hear whimpering from the office, I headed to the office.

There in her basket was my tiny LassaApso Gigi, bleeding with her skin off, and leg hanging. I grabbed a bed sheet and Threw it over her and rushed her to the Vet Hospital in Bird's Hill town.

Once I had gotten to the vet's office, he gave her some pain killer injections and told me to rush her to Pembina Hwy vet clinic as she needed surgery if she was going to live.

Back into the car we went, the vet was wonderful he placed her into the car as I was not well from all of this.

The Pembina clinic the vet told me she would have a lifetime recovery if they operated as much of her flesh was too destroyed, along with muscles, etc... He told me he needed 5000.00 to start treating her, or she needed to be put down.

The entire family was there within a couple of hours, and they were all weeping. Gigi was quiet. I had some alone time with her with my son, suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks, my knees went out from under me, my son caught me from falling to the floor and I wept.

Suffering is so ugly; I can not find the words to describe the suffering I seen in this beautiful creature who still did not lash out at anyone in her hour of need, for she knew she was loved, and she knew we tried to help.

Gigi had a soul, and a beautiful one.

Thinking of her running about in a green field chasing rabbits with her mother is the only comfort I have still at this point in time.

Gigi, I miss you…

TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 9:51:55 AM
I thought maybe of startin another thread but before I go THAT FAR...

What you people think of :

I had friends drop by mu condo.....maybe for a half hour. I know pets are not allowed for tenants but I could believe that a totally unincident occassion ....so briefly....and descreet got reported in writing to the Property Management Group.
I almost feel that this a breach of "rights"...what you think?
 av8rflygrl
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/23/2007 12:27:49 PM
there is a difference between 'owning' a pet and having one visit with a guest (even someone staying for a couple of weeks on vacation)....
Adult communities that don't allow children to live in them still can have visitors with kids!
Sheesh...tell your neighbour to get a life.....or just stick chewing gum in their peephole!!
 ICUalways
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/23/2007 12:31:50 PM

there is a difference between 'owning' a pet and having one visit with a guest (even someone staying for a couple of weeks on vacation)....
Adult communities that don't allow children to live in them still can have visitors with kids!
Sheesh...tell your neighbour to get a life.....or just stick chewing gum in their peephole!!

Well Said av8rflygrl
 sentient bean
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/23/2007 1:07:21 PM

I almost feel that this a breach of "rights"...what you think?

I think av8rfly girl makes a good point! However, the only way to ensure whether or not your "rights" have been breached is to read the fine print in your lease or residential agreement. There may be a clause that prohibits having animals on the premises at any time in addition to one against having pets.

The good news is if your "rights" as a tenant have indeed been breached, you get to join a long queue of other POF posters protesting the violations of their human rights (which include dealing with MPI and posting on these forums) down at the Human Rights Commission. Tip: you may consider bringing donuts... some of them have been standing in line for quite a while.

On topic: Yep... our family said good-bye to our beloved and inimitable x-spaniel Elvis (the King of Bark & Growl) 20 years ago this Christmas. It was a painful time, for sure. And we miss him still. Fabulous dog!
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/20/2009 6:12:18 PM
Just this morning, my Mom and I took my shorthair tabby, Ashley, to the vet. She had renal failure.

It's horrible to see the pet die, but I needed to be with her. Now she's happy wherever she is, no doubt being given the grand tour by my Nicky, who preceded her 4 years ago.

It is so hard. You never forget the friendship or the cute/funny moments. Somehow, it's easy to forget they were ever annoying.

R.I.P., Ash.
 witchywoman379
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 7:27:13 AM
Over my lifetime, I have had to put a few pets down. It is never an easy thing to do, never an easy thing to watch, and its never easy to hold them while they pass. But we do it. We do it because we know that its the right thing to do, to end their suffering, knowing that our grieving is just beginning. I can think about my pets now with dry eyes, although, certain times still bring tears. And every time I say - no more, I'm done with pets! But those that know me can tell you that I still live in a zoo. LOL. In 2008, June, we lost both our beloved dogs, within 3 weeks of eachother. My shepherd, well she was old, 16 years old, and as time passed, I knew her time was coming. And I was dealing with it, knowing when the time was right, I would be able to make the "final" vet visit. Why, because I loved her, and to allow her to die without dignity would be so unfair. But before that fateful day, our newest member, a lil chi we had only had for about 2 - 3 months, got sick and had to be rushed to the emergency vet. We lost her! And to this day, its still unbelievable to me that her death affects me just as much as my shepherd's. She was with us for such a short time, and in that time, we brought so much to her life, but she brought so much more to ours. In July, 2008, over my protests, my husband brought home another chi. The chi's we have/had were older, both over a year, from families that didn't want them anymore, families that didn't treat them the way we treat our pets. Its amazing to watch a pet evolve and come out of their shell given the opportunity. Both of these amazing little dogs did that. Changed from scared timid animals to loved, happy members of the family. Since then, we have added another chi to our family. A beautiful 3 year old female, that we got from a breeder that was done with her. I was concerned in the beginning that they wouldn't get along, but now, they are the best of friends.
 RacerM95
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2009 3:48:20 PM
I am looking at that right now, My son's dog is 16 yrs old, I will be extremely surprised if he makes it past x-mas.. I would preffer to put him down, to end the suffering.My son wont let me, says its murder. I am so not ready for this.. What do I do?

This is just not easy
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?