Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Dating a guy with no car...Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I wish I could ride a bike a take a bus to work. Unfortunately, I work in construction so, that's not gonna happen.

Actually, i have 2 cars, a beater for work, and my main car. i only drive my main car maybe once a week, if that. Especially since i'm not dating at the moment.

With you, it makes sense to get rid of your car, especially if your not using it but once or twice a month. If you can get by via taxi, bus, train, or rental, or even bike, more power to you. Sometimes i wish i lived downtown, but again, I need a car for work. No way around that. And, I hate the ideal of paying for a parking space when i got a 2 car garage that costs me alot less. But, I LOVE hanging out downtown. Good thing it's only 25 minutes away.

Also, if a women doesnt want to date you because you dont have a car, don't be too suprised. Alot of women(that i have talked to atleast), are like that. but, once you explain your situation and explain that you are willing to pay for a cab or even a rental, it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, she probably isn't worth it anyway.

I once dated a girl that lived 45 minutes away. We we started dating, her car was "in the shop". So, i would drive 45 minutes, pick her up, drive 30 minutes or so for the date, then drive 30 minutes or so to drop her off, then have to drive 45 minutes to get back home. After 3 weeks of her car being "in the shop", i had to call it quits. Plus, turns out, she didn't really have a car. LOL.

But, even if she did, I would have ened it anyway. Turns out she lied about some other things too. And, one thing I can't stand, is when someone lies. Especially for no reason.

Don't get a car if you don't want ot need to. You will find someone who understands why you walk and it won't matter. Just gotta keep looking for her.

goodluck
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dating a guy with no car...
Posted: 5/17/2006 11:37:43 PM
This thread is crazy ....
If you want to finish it just mass email POF and ask them to put in a new section for the profiles asking (A) do you drive & (B) do you own a vehicle
Who cares if you don't have a car.
I have several exceptionally wealthy friends who live in Toronto and Ottawa who have never owned a car in their lives ... they hire a limo when they have something special to do ... use a taxi or livery service for weekly errands, rent a car to travel distances, and all of them have bicycles to buzz around town/parks/outings.
 exxess
Msg: 28
dude buy a crotch rocket
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:54:24 AM
Chick's love motocycles, If you buy the bike outright and its a used by all you need is liability insurance. Trust me I used to work in insurance and PLPD on a bike is like dirt cheap. I'm talking probably $200- $400 max. Its the fire and theft that cost an arm and a leg on bikes. Hence avoid Harleys cause they are a moving target. But if you buy like a Suzuki GSX 1000 a couple of years old probably cause $6000. And the chick will be all over you. The good thing is the weather is getting warmer. I was out in February riding no problem.

Hey hope that helps you
 existential
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:24:17 AM
'Obviously Toronto men really aren't looking for the woman who can be Spontaneous!!!! '

Spontaneity has nothing to do with driving.................ever hear of a cab, or better yet renting a car for the weekend?
@ Wolfie.............how many cats do you have if you're buying 40 lbs of cat litter?
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:51:41 AM
Where I live there is no mass transit system
so a car is a something you NEED.. not want.

Its very flat and spread out in Texas...
you could not survive here without a car.
 Trigger Happy
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:28:25 AM
would a motorcycle sacrafice, or MUST it be a car????????????????????
 candyapplesweet
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:40:09 AM
I would suggest you get a car. Some woman might think you cant afford car so how can you afford to date, or that you would be taking advantage of them because they had a car and she was always having to tote you around. You very well may be a great guy with good intentions- but this day and age is a tad different. I have dated men with no car and they would call me and me to run their erronds. Being the kind hearted person I am I would do it then later realize (thru friends) how stuid I was. Please dont get me wrong- not every woman thinks the same. Good luck
 Kazanski
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:53:42 AM
Depends on your situation. Just because you don't own a car doesn't mean you can't afford to date or are a lesser person because of it. If you live in the city it can be less hassle to have a car or your just close enough to everything to not need one. It would be kinda materialistic to ignore a guy just cause he doesn't have a car, wouldn't it?
 edward1224
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:59:20 AM
I would get another car. It may be a huge paperweight but women don't seem to go for guys without them.
 cdn_bella
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:01:13 AM
personally, the last two guys i dated didnt have a car but they could drive, so since I had a car, if I wasnt in the mood to drive I just let them. I dont think its important, but then again thats me!! I think who the person is should matter more than if they do or dont have a car!!
 singleindixie
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:02:24 AM
If she has a car, give her gas money up front.
 Kazanski
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:02:53 AM
Too right and well said!!
 RabidWolverine
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:08:57 AM
Typical of women everywhere, mainly in Toronto it seems, expecting a guy to pick them up, take them places etc. And if you live in downtown T.O. or right on the subway line, they still think you are a lowlife for not owning a car...and ya type matters too I noticed. Prestige is what sells and gets em here.
Hmm the guy buys the car, pays the gas, pays the insurance and pays for the date. Wow sounds fair to me...
Oh ya forgot to mention, where you live...downtown? Better be a condo or she will definitely call you a loser. LOL
Really I say to each thier own.
If a car is what makes a woman decide if the guy is good enough, then I will gladly stay single for good. One can save alot for not owning a car and be able to put that extra money towards whatever it is. I like the fact I can take 2-3 trips a year...hmm buy a car so i can get a date or not buy one and be able to take trips? I think the latter is more appealing. Besides if the fact I either own a car or not is what a woman will base her decision on to go on a date? Not worth my time...She better not be working some desk job making $25 000 (gross not net) a year then, she better be making good bucks and drive an Escalade...then she can expect it and I would have no qualms about it.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:12:11 AM
TanquerayJay,

Do not despair my friend, there are plenty of people that realize a car isn't always a necessity. I maintain my driver's license, and rent cars if I need to go out of town for something, but aside from that I live literally on top of a subway station, and my work is a twenty-five minute bus commute or a 25 minute bike ride... What on Earth do I need a car for at the moment?

I've had no problems with it impairing my dating life per se, when the topic comes around I make three things clear:
1) I have always had a drivers license since I was 16, so I know HOW to drive
2) I am willing to cab them anywhere they want to go, at any time
3) By not needing a car at the moment, it leaves me with an additional $800 / month in my wallet for mad money, which if they play their cards right, can be spent on them...

Funny, but not many women seem to protest too hard once point #3 is mentioned

Toronto is a HUGE city, and I'll agree it's a pain to get around if you're going somewhere obscure and don't have a car, but if you're the type who's main action is downtown, you're basically spending a lot of money for a convenience item that isn't all that convenient (parking, gas, insurance...)

The key is upselling the fact that you don't have a car by CHOICE, not by lack of means. I have enough saved up to walk into the dealership and buy a new Honda Accord in cash if I wanted to, but it would spend Monday to Friday sitting in my company parking lot 10km away from where I live, and aside from a weekend grocery run, that's about all the use I'd have for it...

Now isn't that $800/month well spent...
 Frustrated Ink
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:36:20 AM
Actually Looking, I live a minute away from the liquor store which actually stocks beer, and better beer than the beer store itself. In any case, I would take a cab, which I pretty much take everywhere anyway.

However, Looking, if you lived in Manhattan you would be hard pressed to find any guy that owns a car as very few people there do. So why is it any different for an urban dweller in Toronto?
 Trigger Happy
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:39:13 AM
RapidWolverine I could not of put it better myself, personally I agree, you pay for the Gas you pay for the Insurance, you pay for the Car, and all the other stuff then the date and hey if you dont live someplace nice well to hell with you.

Ive owned a lot of nice cars, I had a nice BMW 525, I just prefer motorcycles, but hey I know the fealing.

"Can I pick you up on my motorcycle"

she; "er no, ial meet ya", please give me a break ladies, what they want is the following:

a six figure salary (sorry mine is only five)

a car (sorry a motorcycle)

a nice house (yeh ok got one)

you pay for everything (whats new)

By the way im cheating on you, have you got a spare $20, I run out of cash, you get the drinks. I might aswell be gay!

Kingston1982
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:49:58 AM
I'd rather walk the rest of my life than drive a car. I don't plan on ever getting a liscence.
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:27:04 AM
jeez. man. you totally cut out 98% of the dating pool. You can't pick up chicks with a cab. You pick them up with a car...mwahahaha! choose your auto of choice, and your investment will pay off in terms of....
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:58:52 AM
jeez. man. you totally cut out 98% of the dating pool. You can't pick up chicks with a cab. You pick them up with a car... Choose your auto of choice, and your investment will pay off in terms of....

Well then Angielah I must be making an infinte return on investment as I have no car since I've moved to Toronto and have hooked up with ladies several times in the few months I've been here... So let's do the math:

Return on Investment = (Amount of + attained)/($ spent of wheels)

I've spent $0 on wheels (not counting the occasional cab),

so ROI = / 0 = Infinity

Wow if only my stock portfolio worked as well (zero dollars in, payout every day)

If there's only 2% of the dating pool that's been providing this to me, I must be getting around to some repeat customers soon...
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:04:46 AM
Let's see...ROI = margin * turnover = revenue/sales * sales/avg assets = revenue/avg asset.

Now revenue = that number on your scorecard = > 0

assets = your car = 0

(I'm assuming you have positive numbers on your scorecard)/0 -> infinity

yeah, that makes sense
 blueeyes4u59
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:14:08 AM
I see nothing wrong with not owning a car when living in downtown Toronto, except it does preclude you from dating outside the downtown core. I live in the burbs and met up with a downtowner a year or so ago. We liked each other, but it quickly became obvious that 1. His lifestyle being a downtowner was quite differrent than mine, and 2. The distance wasn't easily handled - and he had a car!
My son has lived in downtown Toronto for several years and has no need to buy a car. He just rents one when he needs it to go outside the downtown core. Other than that he walks or uses TTC.
I would probably consider dating a man without a car who lives near to me - depending on the reason for no car - as I have a nice car and love to drive.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:49:25 AM
Let's see...ROI = margin * turnover = revenue/sales * sales/avg assets = revenue/avg asset.

Oooh, an economics student, this will be even more fun now

Perhaps this is just a crazy construct of engineering/physics, but if zero is basically defined as nothing, or in more abstract mathematical terms, the smallest possible number approached in the limit as things stretch to a near-inifinte number of decimal places (i.e. 0.000000000000000000001), then by your own definition of ROI (revenue divided by average assets) with revenue being the amount of romance I get (>0 dates) and assets being defined as my car (=0), then is that not an infinite/undefined result?

Last time I took a mathematics class (I've only been through about eight different math courses during university), a finite number divided by a very small number = a very big number, i.e. I am getting a lot back for nothing put in (high return on investment).

I didn't think my example was THAT hard to follow...

Getting back to the original point of this thread, all I'm trying to say is not having a car only becomes an issue if the lifestyle of the person you're dating demands a lot of random little trips around the city on a daily basis... Now that could get expensive in cab fare...
 hapeenurse
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:38:01 PM
I live in Toronto , practically right on the subway line , no need for a car and I wouldn't judge someone else for not having a car. Talk about petty. If you want to go somewhere you could cab it or if you want to get away for the weekend there are rental cars , it's not like there is no access to transportation if you don't have your own ride.
 Gallivanting1
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/18/2006 12:43:46 PM
I don't care if you have a car or not. The only issue I would have is if he expected me to be his taxi service. At the very least, if I have to drive us some place like camping for the weekend, then I would expect you to pay half the gas money.
 onelove2404
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:18:49 PM
I believe that not having a car and dating woman is not a problem if ladies look for a guy that has a car that could be disasterous, by that I mean they just want to be driven everywhere, another thing is that they're not the one for you, look at me for instance one day about three weeks ago I was at work I had the most incredilbe lady walk into my office looking for a moving vehicle in which I had just rented mine out, but because she was so beautiful I decided that I was putting all my other work aside and helped her find a truck for the very next day twenty minutes tops and after that I asked her for her number and we've been seeing eachother since than, I told her right away that I didn't haev a car, I even offered to rent one but she said as long as we were spending time together it was all good, so what I'm trying to say is that wait, save your money and good things will come your way.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...