Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peachy1977
Msg: 76
Dating a guy with no car...Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I had to sell my car to pay for my education. Seeing as it was costing me close to $2000 a year in insurance, gas, and repairs there really isn't any way I could continue my education and have wheels. If I did have a car, believe me it would not be some fancy souped up sports car, it would likely be some run down Chevy POS.

Basically what I'm hearing is that until I finish school (5 years from now) I should basically give up on finding a date?
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 77
Dating a guy with no car...
Posted: 5/20/2006 7:57:12 AM
Cars are a major expense but in some parts of the world...
you MUST have one due to lack of mass transit..
also other factors...
I am a homeowner and shopper. I often haul home all
kinds of things as well as have to transport things
like the lawn mower and all kinds of things for lawn
and home care.
Also is my shopping... sometimes for antiques which are easy to transport in my
oversized vehicle.
Another thing is I sometimes contract business services which require me
to drive all over and I have to have not only a vehicle but one that
is well maintained and runs well as I can put on as many as 300 miles in a day
going place to place.

Must be nice to not HAVE to have a car..
but to be honest I think I would be bored
as I like being a homeowner, shopping
for antiques and being able to do consulting work
and make my own schedule as I please and see fit.

I wouldnt trade... and I would not want to live in a heavily
populated area with subways and lots of cabs.
I moved away from New York over 25 years ago to
get away from all that.
Glad too...........
 Ezzee
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:57:30 AM
To sass: I apologize, I must have been thinking of you when I was righting that. My bad. Deepest apologies.

To Night Run: I ripped up my young Republican membership card in 1996. Since then, I'vebounced around on political parties, but right now find myself mostly in agreement with the Green Party.
 Ahhh!
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/20/2006 10:00:42 AM
I dont' have any problem dating a guy with no car. I have dated many guys without cars...people are people, some have cars and some just don't (for various reasons).

Makes ya wonder how people ever managed way back before they were ever invented?? Must've been aaaaaaaalot of SINGLE people walking the streets!!! Some of u people are so shallow!!
 daylillies
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/20/2006 10:18:33 AM
look i dont have a problem with the guy not having a car....just dont expect me to drop my life to do your arrands or chauffering you around...thats all i was tryin to imply...an yet so many expect this.
if your my boyfriend...thats fine...not a problem...be more then happy to obligded....but if i just met you an your askin to borrow my car...i say hell NO....lol....an theyre alot of guys out there that do this...man they got balls...lol. just tired of people taking advantage....and i can say NO now..lol.
 Ahhh!
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/20/2006 10:35:27 AM
^^^^^Yeah, i've gone out with a few of these guys who didn't want a girlfriend, they wanted a taxi driver they could f*ck. So, I hear ya on that one...but, if a girl (not saying you, any girl...) will not date a guy b/c he does not have a car and that's the only thing he's got against him..then, I don't agree with that.

( I once dated a guy with no car ...short version: he asked to borrow my car to go to Montreal to visit his sis who was due to give birth any day. I said no (we had only been dating 3 months, didn't trust him that much yet), then he suggested the two of us go there for the wknd...(kind of obvious he needed me to drive him) so I said ok. Later that night he called to tell me his sis went into labour and he had to get there right away 'could I lend him $100 for train fare. Well, yeah, ok...it's only $ right??? Glad I chose to lose $100 than my car..he never came back from Montreal. I heard from a guy I briefly met through him, that he was really married and it was his wife in montreal expecting a baby, not his sister.
 snowbunny1973
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/20/2006 10:52:00 AM
I dated a guy without a car, and i found it very difficult because i had to do all the driving. If we wanted to see each other it was up to me to drive downtown, he never wanted to take the bus over to see me (on the north shore) and that didn't work for me. It actually caused problems and I ended up breaking up with him.

Get some form of transport, a motorbike or something even? if you want to date girls outside of downtown that is...
 cup77
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/20/2006 11:26:35 AM
You got some good points and having a car is a bonus (I love my car).But to say you
will only date men with cars is like a guy saying Ill only date women that can cook
and give great blow jobs.
 cup77
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/20/2006 11:27:39 AM
having a car is a bonus (I love my car).But to say you
will only date men with cars is like a guy saying Ill only date women that can cook
and give great blow jobs.
 daylillies
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/20/2006 1:40:05 PM
^^^ an you dont require good cook an head???..lol..plz if she couldnt do either,...you would drop her pretty damn fast...

alot of people go thru divorces an seperation to loosin what they worked hard for before...but dammit....i got nothing from mine...i walked away with just my clothes...but i built myself bac up again...an got a good job...a car...an etc...without havinf to rely on anyone but me....am tired of hearing most excuses...poor me syndrome...get off the pot...my ex took it all...so what...get another.

TurgidBoil
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/20/2006 3:22:07 PM
Oh screw a car. I own my house outright and have zero debt. All the materialistic pricks and ****es on here are pathetic. If a car for you defines a person, I'm glad we haven't met.
 daylillies
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/20/2006 3:25:19 PM
^^^^^^ wow...you need to get laid..lol...easy....whats with everyone lately...snappy..judgemental...an rude.anyways...it has nothing to do with being materialistic....i drive quite a distance to work an back....so i do need my car to make a living so i can pay my bills an my mortagage....cause no one else will.
 TurgidBoil
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/20/2006 3:31:33 PM
^^^
That's your situation, not mine.
Basing a person's worth on belongings is truly petty. Not only is my CHOICE not to drive based on an economic decision, but also political. Motor vehicles are one of the worst 'investments' one can make.

~Drive to work, work to drive.
 optimismnlaughter
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/20/2006 4:57:11 PM
I agree with Daylillie...you all need to a big chill pill and get out of the house tonight!! If all you are worried about in someone's value....Pleaaaaseee, if all you worrying about in someone's value is how far someone is willing to drive you around..geesssh....then this thread has gone no where....Let's go dancing Daylillie***this is getting too serious.. lol...

I will meet you later for chatting please, this is getting way too stuffy in here...love you girlie..

I have had this situation come up twice now though and I don't have a reliable car to take a guy places, so he has to love me for my lovable self...awwww.
 puppyluv123
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/20/2006 5:13:34 PM
OK, look at it this way...

Some people live "downtown" and don't need or have a car. Good for them, although I guess you can only walk so far so your dates would be limited to the same places unless you wanted to cab it somewhere.

Some people don't live "downtown" and everything is driving distance. Where I live you can't go anywhere without driving and cab service in the smaller areas is really bad. You have to call for one and they might show up but it takes a while.

I prefer a man who has a car, I wouldn't date someone that didn't. Thats my preference.
There are, apparently, others on this very site that say they don't care.

So, if you don't have a car, don't sweat it, there are people who are ok with that!

Personally I love the freedom my car gives me, I can just go out on a beautiful day and go for a drive along the lake, of hop in the car and visit a friend. Whatever I want to do, I can do it, and whenever I want, spur of the moment.

Everyone has preferences, its not shallow its just the way it is.

Seems like the bitter people on here are the ones with NO CAR. Get over it, date someone who doesnt care. Leave the rest of us to our preferences.

PS, see my pic? I LOVE my car.
 TrackMan391
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2006 5:20:42 PM
This issue of a guy not having a car might be a problem here in America. Historically, the country was built on an independent spirit, and face it, a bus passenger is anything but independent. But if all women in the world flat-out refused to date any guy without a car, then wouldn't Europe have no population by now? After all, we're all human; so Europeans must find have found a way to date using buses, trains, and streetcars. The only reason why a car is a prerequisite to dating is because public transportation is so looked down upon in our society. And on a personal note, I had my first girlfriend before my first car. So it is possible. As an added bonus, I can now name the nearest train station for most of my hometown's attractions.
 TurgidBoil
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:02:21 PM
Well this has been stated several times, to each his own.
I've been car free since 2001 and get a hoot out of riding my bike past the car lots with the prices on the windows and the gas stations with cars waiting in line. I like Greyhound, I can get a 1 year pass for $260 and travel all over my state as much as I like, I check my folding bike as luggage. If need be, I can rent a car. What I don't like is the $5000-$7000/year cost of ownership a late model car would cost. Who says you can't ride bikes on a date? Oh it might be a problem if you smoke 3 packs a day, but then I doubt we would be dating anyway.

~"To attack the pedals may be strenuous over the short run, but is an expression of trust in one's own powers, for with the bicycle everything depends on the self. Those who wish to control their own lives and move beyond existence as mere clients and consumers -- those people ride a bike."
 puppyluv123
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:10:38 PM
^^^^^^^Ya, well maybe in Florida riding a bike on a date might be fun.

Try that in Canada in the dead of winter. Brrrrrrr

LOL
 TurgidBoil
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:19:02 PM
Point taken. You could ski though, eh?
 iridecentelf
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:21:36 PM
A guy I date does have a car, lives and parks it in the middle of Boston's Back Bay, walks the 5 minutes to work but uses it to go to his clients places and to get out of town. When he comes up to visit me, I drive him around. We walk when I go down there. lol Works for us. But I would be a little put out if I always had to drive to see him (its about an hours drive) and I'm not sure my car could handle the wear and tear anyway.
 RabidWolverine
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:32:13 PM
Man it makes me so annoyed when women figure every guy wants them to drive him around and drive to see him.
I dated someone years back who lived in Londond, Ontario...I NEVER NEVER expected or even asked her to drive to Toronto to see me and drive me here and there. Gues what ladies..I jumped on the greyhound every weekend...I finished work at 7:30am, walked over to the bus terminal and jumped on the Greyhound and went to see her all weekend. She NEVER once came to Toronto to see me. Did it annoy me that i did that? Not at all. I always looked forward to it. She offered to drive me home one Monday morning and I said no, I will take the Greyhound, only a 2 hour nice ride. Listen to my discman or read a book. Wow that is so low is it not? So I do not own a car, and yet my god the guy took the initiative to go see her out of town.
She broke it off because she didn't like that i didn't have a car BUT she never was a taxi, and when we drove somewhere in London I paid for the gas..yep sad and low again I guess eh ladies? I guess I should have had the car and drove to see her.
if some women would get off thier high horses and see that there are many guys who even though they do not have a car will in fact be the ones to go see you all the time...oh but wait that is still a guy not worthwhile right? because he does not have a car.
A car like the clothes and type of job makes who the guy is these days. Sad how it is this way. And to those who live in small rural areas, if I did I would own a car, i live and work in Toronto, so there is the reason I do not. My conveniences are at my doorstep.
 TurgidBoil
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:40:38 PM
RabidWolverine
I'm with ya brutha!
 optimismnlaughter
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:52:41 PM
Hey Rabid,,,I understand that ur saying bein negative but I was trying to back up Daylillieas ...the point ^^^the car being an investment^^^after Daylillie I just didn't figure this ... ^^^drive to work, work to drive^^^ we would all be here in the neverending POF forums, in a negative sense, not sooo
it just sometimes is a distance factor for me anyway....and ppl. have some things to work thru in their lives whether it be, personal problems, health issues, whatever. We get over it. And hope I to find someone to do this with .. I just keep find recovery ppl. or disabled...I am magnet for it.. smile... I think I have over come most all of my personal demons...Its hard to find someone to know ... after so many years of being on my own...

It was nice to see you on here Rabid, take care .
 KCNewf
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:56:53 PM
The thing is it's rare that people choose not to have a car. If that be the case then I would date the guy. It's in all likelihood that there is something behind not having a car, like losing one's license for various reasons, getting one's car repo'ed, bad credit, or no money. So my gut feeling would tell me to run(drive!!) away if the other person didn't have wheels of some sort. If you are an energy conservationist then I might bite the bait for awhile :)
Sounds real convenient to hop on a greyhound all the time when you have control of your own vehicle. Just a thought. The greyhound sounds all but convenient to me. We definitely should be taking the mass transits once in awhile, I just always miss the darn bus!
I did date a guy, shortly, who didn't have a car, he shunned it, but come to find out on my own that his truck was repossessed.
 TurgidBoil
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/20/2006 9:08:22 PM
Ah well, let's post a barely legible responses and add lots of emoticons.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...