Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dad2stay
Msg: 51
A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Its interesting how offended people are of something as simple and harmless as pet names.

When I was a kid I was taught that stick and stones...

Any ways personally I really do not care what anyone calls me as long as its not late for dinner

Maybe those of you with issues to this behavior should look deep inside yourself and see why something so juvenile makes you so upset
 philster1985
Msg: 52
A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?
Posted: 1/9/2012 1:53:05 PM
I for one have never ever called a female any of these kind of nicknames, personally, i hate being called them, and do not use them on people either.
 Songinmyheart42
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/11/2012 2:57:01 PM
I make an effort to call people that I have just met by their names. It signals to them that you care about them as a person, and respect them. But...if you make it to the stage where I am comfortable enough to be calling you dear, babe, or sweety, you should be happy. I do that with people I feel affection for. And if I'm calling you "Love" or "My Heart", well, you have now achieved family status.

Seriously, folks. Lighten up.
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/11/2012 5:30:23 PM
I warned my kid about doing that. He didn't get it when some girl got pissed when she heard him saying it to someone else. I told him that if he is sweet on someone he is dating and he uses it casually with someone else, the girl he is dating will become jealous because she thought it was a special name for her. Needless to say, she didn't feel special anymore.
 inkentuckynow
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 6:39:02 PM
Ugh...I had a man message me the other day and immediately started calling me baby. I asked him not to, that I felt it was demeaning and very disrespectful. He said he called all the women he talked to baby. "Exactly. I'm not like all the other women. I have a name and I like to be called by it." Well....he went off and sent off several profanity-filled messages!! And then....if that wasn't bad enough....I saw where he had TWO profiles, with different pictures!!

Simple solution. Ask the person their name and ask if they mind you call them 'baby' 'sweetie' or whatever pet name they have lined up!!
 m_church
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:45:42 PM
Some men call you princess, sweetie, angel, honey, baby or whatever simply so they don't inadvertantly call you by the same name as the other girl(s) they're screwing...

And no, I'm not kidding....
 yoursorally
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:53:18 AM
Have to agree with the person who said its so they dont call you by someone else's name, but its not just men that do that. Personally if someone doesnt take the time to remember your name in the early days of any sort of relationship I cant see it being a great one but thats just me.
 newlysingle99
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2012 10:03:43 PM
i agree with you, but when i am with someone i use those types of names to let her know that she is the one i care about. i dont use those pet names freely.
 gaianotvenus
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/14/2012 2:34:18 AM
It's disrespectful and a clear measure by the issuing party to demean your importance in the grand realm of things. People of this mindset should be chastized and ignored.
 gaianotvenus
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/14/2012 2:35:35 AM
Dad2stay: why on earth would you be using puerile language on anybody you don't know? You should look inside of YOURSELF to see why you go out of your way to offend people?
 Lookingformore62
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/14/2012 6:15:13 AM
I so agree with you OP. I hate the "hey baby" greeting on POF in an email from a complete stranger. What a turn off!
 dad2stay
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/14/2012 1:29:23 PM
gaianotvenus

Well first of all i never said I use pet names with people I don't know and I never implied I go OUT OF MY WAY to offend anyone,

The real question is why do you get so easily offended by it and why do you assume the person using these pet names is attempting to offend you in place of compliment???

I do see in your profile you say you do not flirt, now tell me how do you have sex, get in relationships etc. Hopefully you don't just walk up to a stranger and say lets have sex

Any ways I do use them but remember this is just my POV but here I go

Princess: could be used as a compliment, generally portrayed on tv and in story's as a beautiful woman steps above all others

Beautiful: self explanatory hes calling you beautiful IT IS A COMPLIMENT!!!

Gorgeous: S/A/A

Sweety: pet name I personally use it when speaking to young girls like my niece

Sexy: Generally used by me in situations like (Hey sexy get your sweet thang over here) its a form of provocation, humor and used for someone Id be dating or flirting with
 ForumsCreeper
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2012 3:36:31 PM
For me pet names come after your in a relationship and they are based off something I feel or some inside joke/knowledge or some quirk.
I will use the standard ones too but not until we are in pretty strong with each other.

I have had people use them towards me and its a little awkward if its too soon.
 AmandaYV
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2012 6:24:31 PM
its because they dont want to call you the wrong name duh!!lol
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/10/2012 9:46:17 PM
I think its sweet, I have men call me sweetie, honey or some pet name when talking to me.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/10/2012 10:30:19 PM
Hun....slow your roll.....
That's the way we do it in the South.

You can "baby" me all day long.
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:34:29 AM

I for one have never ever called a female any of these kind of nicknames, personally, i hate being called them, and do not use them on people either.

Ah philster, that was a "say what?" moment. Last time I checked, women were people too...........

Language as lunch.
Well, I've watched lots of dripping saliva while overhearing the pickup stickup, and sure, It's just another part of the party line - an accessory, goes with the rest of the ensemble. The panting predator, upon the rolling savannah, drooling over the scent of wildebeest....thought no more of than prelude to the feast.

But hey, from a checkout counter to a drivethru lineup, in any manner of friendly and normal exchange with strangers - I've been called by women I don't know: "Hun, hon, sweetie, sugar, daddy, big daddy, cutie (with or without the pie) romeo, stud, darlin, dahlin' and dahlink".................and think no more of it than a warm fuzzy moment of desultory mothering - rolls off their tongue in the same unconciously automatic way.

But the difference? Not intended in the same style or fashion. Not recieved with the same outrage. The reason? No threat or insult intended.

I've called an entire audience "baby" from the sanctified and rarified sanctuary of a public stage (both genders) but, that's a privilege that comes with the territory, and delivered from the luscious lilt of a song lyric. The meaning is implicit to the message.

Other than that, I suppose pet names belong to furry beasts, swaddling babes, intimate body parts and (don't get me started) hot wheels!

To anyone tempted to request a listener's ears to lighten up and not take it so seriously? Language is there for appropriate use: as a crooned tune to soothe the savage beast, or on the other hand, a weapon that can rouse a most righteous wrath.
Simply put: a pet name should belong to a pet (of any pursuasion.)
Otherwise, it languishes out of balance and off-kilter.
 friendshipcomesfirst
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/11/2012 3:42:56 PM
I love how in all these forums it's "Why do men...." or "why do women..." SERIOUSLY!? It goes both ways men AND women do it... And not all of them, always some... do people not know how to put "some" in there? "Why do SOME people..."

As for pet names- I'm TERRIBLE with names. As such, pretty much everyone is "sweetie." Even once I've learned their name. That started when I was like 25... If it offends people, TOO BAD. It's part of who I am, and it's not going to change. Some people are just WAY too easily offended... Yes, I even call men "sweetie" in front of their wife/SO *gasp* I call the wife sweetie as well...
 Im_a_Fkn_Unicorn
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:29:39 PM
I use terms of endearment so they do not bother me. I simply do not find it to be an issue. If you do feel strongly about such things, just tell someone the first time and move on past it. :)
 J_bird61
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/20/2012 8:35:53 PM
Agreed.
They're terms of endearment - what endearing has happened yet?
I'm not your dear - I just wrote you a message...!
I guess it bothers me too!
 JoseMadre
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:53:52 AM
eek I use "Sweetie" all the time with my female friends. I need to ask if it makes them uncomfortable.
 VTECturbo
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:26:57 PM
I call chicks 'dude' and 'man'.

Eh.
 oregon63
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/25/2012 9:11:59 AM
hey mazda626 i dont think we men are simple minded!! and i think you a suck up.
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/25/2012 9:25:39 AM
Yes, I agree with you, red flag in my book. I feel that it's because you may have forgotten her name due to the many other woman that he's seeing.
I don't like it either, it's a turn off to me and it does not make me feel a tingly inside cause a man whom I haven't met, nor shared a good reasonable amount of time with to call me all that.
Also, I dont' like it when someone says Ma'am, yes Ma'am to me when i'm not older then them. That's what my kids say to me, no it does not mean you're showing me respect when I'm not your elder. It's crazy.
 desirehigher
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:54:43 PM
well, the way i look at it is, that there is a term a endearment between the two persons. it is best to hold off on something like that, i agree. but at the same time i use the term "Honey" to both men and women for strangers, family, friend, colleages, etc.. when a man calls me by a pet name, i know he is just wanting to let me know he is interested in me.

you have to ask yourself, "why does this bother me so much?" and relay the answer kindly to the person delivering the pet name. generally, with anything, just let it be known and a compromise can be met.

remember, it is merely an attempt to make their intent known.

lastly, when a man calls me "Babe" i look over at him, give a small smile and say, "please, anything but, Babe. Babe is for the average. i'm anything but average". not only can i back up my statement, my request is filled, we also have a good laugh!!

good luck, honey!!
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?