Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 26
Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
No I wouldn't. Life is hard enough without being involved with someone you would have to worry about going back to drugs. I am assuming you mean something stronger than pot.
 blindheart1
Msg: 27
Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?
Posted: 6/1/2006 7:18:34 PM
**Kytasa**

"AMEN" to that ! There is no greater gift than life itself. I am an addict who has been in recovery for years now, all I can say is, "I am who I am, and accept that I cannot change my past, I would if I could , but I cant, and see no point in wasting energy on regrets, its just that simple..... and if one cannot accept me because of my past, I am only better off then, for they are clearly not seeing me for who I am in the now, present anyhow.
 delytful
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/2/2006 7:14:51 AM
Going through this thread I am starting to wonder why, since the thing that junkies do best is lie, anyone should believe one is "rehabilitated". Hiding their addiction is one of the things they learn to do first, and I sure don't want to have to waste my time keeping such a close eye on someone to make SURE they aren't doing dope anymore.
And for all of those that want kudos for quitting, saying how strong and courageous they are, where was all that strength when it came to not getting in that situation in the first place? I have a lot more respect for those who took the stance of not doing it in the first place. And after seeing my own brother "rehabed" time and again, doesn't seem like something you should really count on, if they have to keep redoing it. I also got mad as hell when he got up on his soapbox (all that preaching about how to be to people who never got it wrong in the first place) and actually acted like he was better than me for going through rehab. Told him he could stick it where the sun don't shine if he thinks staying straight makes you less.
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/2/2006 7:22:13 AM
I was offered rehab but never took it up, by doing so would have ment that i would have lost my job so i had to suffer my turkey time alone.

I never took drugs for fun or recreationally, i took them to act as a pillow and cushion the blow of what had happened to me during my childhood and what happened to me in the past.

"Your honour I rest my case..."

drugstorecowboy June 2006
 BLACKACES
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/2/2006 7:28:57 AM
does the definition of junkie include all the people that are taking prescription drugs?

the numbers are so high!
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/2/2006 7:45:19 AM
no they are just whats known as 'socially acceptable' junkies which doesn't have the same context as a junkie does when you think about stereotypes

but they are still junkies of a sort none the less...

Drugstore Cowboy June 2006
 BLACKACES
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/2/2006 8:07:35 AM
it's unbelieveable the amount of peeps on prescribed meds.

as for dating an ex junkie, sure everything happens in the present.

but my abort the relationship threshold would be low 2.5 strikes instead of 3.
 random_bird
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/2/2006 8:13:36 AM
Blackaces...what Rx are you referring to?

If my asthma medication counts than call me a junkie and toss me in the addict pile.
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/2/2006 9:18:44 AM
no its the kind of drugs that are to treat depression and tranqulizers the ones people become addicted too the ones you can sell on the street, not for things like asthma

Your honour I rest my case..."

Solitude100years
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:41:43 AM
The most effective consolation in every misfortune and every affliction is to observe others who are the more unfortunate than we, hence everybody deserves a second chance. There's nothing like capital punishment. Now you're clean, means you'd paid for your wrong doing, means you deserve to be loved, respected and everything along the way.

It'd be my pleasure to meet you.
 MarkCK
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:06:17 AM
theres a lot of people who havn't done drugs, who think they know about the type of people who do drugs, and what its all about, but have no idea. probably seen crazy junkies in movies or homeless people who've got mixed up in drugs on the street, but there's more to it than that and it's not always like that

i've dabbled, but i'm not a druggy, nothing too heavy, well no needles and all that, I suppose maybe thats a line to be drawn there's lots of drugs like caffeine, cigarettes etc, some heavy drugs arn't so bad and don't generally fuck people up, there are some nasty drugs like heroin and crack which arn't so nice and are horribly addictive, people do these at first generally to have a good time, and they do, weather its healthy or not its the best time but it fades pretty quick and they get left with an unhealthy habbit

even so, good people are about having good hearts right, and good minds, if someone doesn't have those things you hopefully wouldn't get with them, its always best to get to know someone first I think it's really good to have a decent friendship with someone before you get with them

I don't condone drugs as such but some drugs in moderation can make you feel good, same as getting drunk, I bet most people here have gotten drunk, if you think about that though you're actually pouring poison into your bodies, but it doesn't get looked at like that and judged so much because everyone does it once in a while

you get your hang overs thats the price to pay. people can get mixed up in them it's not a good thing to get dependant on any drug but it happens sometimes to the best of people

I'd date anyone if I felt right and I had a healthy love with them, I bet you'd get with someone if they seemed great too. there'd be less to judge if someone hadn't done lots of drugs, being all judgemental though - opinions can be like ass holes! everybody has one

who likes a judgemental ass-hole? that's worse than a 'druggy'

shouldn't get wrapped up in judgement it dampens you as a person!! anybody can screw you over you shouldn't stereotype
 Jynx_2005
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:47:19 PM
I would say yes. But thats only because I've been there and done that. It becomes too hard to get everything else that you are looking for in life after you become clean and wake up to reality. Why would you discriminate against somebody because of something that happened in their past that is no longer applicable? People change and most of the time, others don't realise that. I'm never dishonest about my drug history. Its not like I got AIDs or anything, but I usually don't tell people that I was addicted to Heroin until I know them enough to feel comfortable with it.
 Jynx_2005
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:49:06 PM
A junkie, by definition, is somebody who has shot up. Whether it be heroin or something else.
 kitsguy4u
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 2:28:53 PM
My first answer is no.

I can see that some people may have had problems in the past and if it was a long long time ago then i could deal with it if everything else about the person was good.

Also depends on what it was they had been using.

A good friend of mine was friends with a woman whos husband had been a heroin addict 20 yrs ago. well he fell back into using it and hiding it. she eventually found out and kicked him out. she didnt want him doing that around their child. She tried to help him and still let him come over when he was sober to spend time with the boy. Anyway she came home from work one day to find him dead in the bathroom.

Thing about being an addict is once you are one you always are one. Someone might kick it but they still have the problem and have to deal with it. Some can kick it forever and others can struggle to keep clean. No such thing as a former addict. But there are addicts that arent using.
 trubblemakr
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/2/2006 2:33:02 PM
with all the non crackheads out there why would anyone opt for an ex crackhead who could just as easily fall back into it ? i assume there are quite a few low self respecting, low self esteem ppl out there willing to tho, and whats with all this ur honour crap? are u tryin to portray yourself as someone who is being picked on by society and that we the forum users are apparently your judges? gimme a break and get off the sympathy wagon, u arent the only person here who had a rough upbringing and u certainly wont b the last so suck it up princess n get ur act together i highly doubt anyone will fall for that act anyways, as far as quitting and tryin to make a new start well thats right on, to bad ya waited so long to start, do u ever think alot of your issues came from donning that lil army suit n playin soldier?ppl with guilty comnciences and who have done bad things or had bad things happen to them often try to drown em or silence em with drugs, ive had my run of em myself b4 i turned 18, but when i hit 18 i quit everything i was doin n got a job , the only chioce u ever needed to make was who u want to live for, yourself or for the dealer sellin u the dope,eventually they all lead to the grave but the latter hits there faster and requires nothing more than a useless individual, u arent brave or anything to quit , u are brave to have never started or opted for the easy way, and being numb is the easy way, the hard way is working everyday and contributing to the mass of people who are in one way or another all working together to make everyones lives easier
 safarigal
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/2/2006 5:20:18 PM
not just no but hell no I would never date anyone that is "clean and/or sober". I have a friend who's alcoholic and a son who's a junkie. Why would I want another user in my life? Way too much drama for me.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:08:57 PM
I know this will get me a lot of "brownie points' on here, but .. the truth is..
Once a Junkie, Always a Junkie.
No Ty, I want no part of a needle and tying off viens that have blown out from so much abuse. Junkies live in their own little world, one I don't care to have any part of.
 plenty_cute
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:39:05 PM
been there did that, never again, once a coke head/crack head always a crack head. people who use drugs are weak, they can't deal with their problems or stress in a sober way, come on now. Everyone has stress in today's world, doing drugs is just an excuse. It's all in their head anyway, if they were weak enough to start in the beginning they will remain weak. It's how they were/are built.
 Ineedewe
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:42:23 PM
Depends on what the addiction was. A lot of ex-junkies suffer from diminished capacities ..
AND if they've been tested for the various Heps and HIV.
 BLACKACES
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:57:37 AM
As a musician i ask?

What would the world be like without the music of Jimi Hendrix or Sid Viciuos and Jim Morrison?

Just to name a few.

Now today i turn on my t.v. and see these bubbly upbeat personalities, were they born that way?
A junkie in my opinion are people that need to be medicated to live a normal life, However they are using the to much or the wrong drugs.

Everyone's on something.

The junkies that are on the wrong drugs is the problem.

Most of them need a friend to help them find thier correct medication and dosage.
 DacaInaru
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/3/2006 7:06:47 AM
I did.. but.. he had been clean over 10 years.. and works as a social worker helping other who are trying to get away from their addictions.. I think its possible for people to change.. and I dont think someone's past should be held against them.
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/3/2006 8:02:59 AM
well i'm now a student teacher, and i work with adults and special needs and disablities, i feel that i can still contrubute to society and put things right by using my experience to help others from walking the same path because i can empathise

i know i cant save everybody but even if i save one person then ive done something right and selfless with my life for the benefit of others.

the way i see it is that if i can do it and change my life around into something better then anyone can

and for all thoses who wouldnt date an ex-junkie whos cleaned up their act, well your just being bias we're not all bad there is some good people out there who like me were delt a shit hand in life and took the wrong directions, were only human, and we make mistakes

thanks for all your posts out there its great to get all your views, keep them coming, great to hear from all you ex-junkies and users too...

i know i'll always be that junkie that i was for that period of my life, ive been clean for over 4 years now nearly 5, theres no way i would ever go back to that even when ive been offered it on a plate, thats one of the reasons why i upped and left my home town and moved to london.

krsitin
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/4/2006 1:11:35 PM
simply yes.. i dont look at a persons past, i want to know where they are now. finding out how they got there. if we where all perfect life would be so boaring, and none of us would be on here. how we deal with what life throws at us is a personal thing, some hide it, some curl in a corner and cry, wishing the bug on the floor would stamp on me, instead of me stamping on the bug. i used to take pain killers to numb the feelings. but i didnt call my self a junkie, just sad and needed a hug. if i could give some one else that hug to make them feel better i would, we all need love and support, just a shame more people dont give it.xx
 lovingkind
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2006 1:22:04 PM
Yes, of course I would.if this person has really cleaned up his act then he is not the same person he was at all . As a person ages ,he should become a wiser person and most of us , whether we want to admit it or not, have a past that we would just as soon forget . If this person has changed then he is not a junkie now. It is the now we are talking about not the past .
 lady_502
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/4/2006 1:37:55 PM
i applaud all those who have truely cleaned up and stayed clean, however ive seen too many clean up and then resume , my brother has cleaned up many times and then went right back to it..........cowboy, you sound like your on the right track, i wish you luck , but my answer would still be no, i lived through an abusive relationship due to alcohol and drugs, his habit, not mine, i dealt with the crying, begging to be given another chance and in the end it was always the same.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?