Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kimkina
Msg: 26
The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i'm with funwpgguy about the trees!! the trees in River Heights are currently very lush, creating a beautiful canopy over the streets! oh, it is so beautiful!!.... and a walk down wellington crescent is so great on a beautiful summer nite...! ya... trees... love the areas with the big ol' trees.
 bison33
Msg: 27
The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?
Posted: 6/20/2006 2:16:01 PM
The best one is where you live at the moment....and at the moment I live in River Park South.
So I 'll go with RPS being the best...lots of kids, schools, close to all amenities but far enough away to be a quiet neighborhood (at least where I am), not part of Transcona ..sorry, lived there eons ago, had to toss that in.
 freakycoole
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:02:15 PM
North End

Good: community.

Bad: snoopy neighbors, biker gangs, shootings at the Shell station.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2006 9:04:47 PM
Riverview for the parkways and no thru traffic. Disadvantage? sitting on Osborne in traffic knitting sweaters and trying to get to St. James.
 Gamerdude
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/21/2006 11:24:10 AM
North Kildonan, here...actually, the neighborhood is called River East. One block north of Springfield Road. Nice place to live, a lot of young working-class families. Close to schools and stores. The bus route at the end of my street will take you all the way to Polo Park, and it's a lot quieter now that they've retired the railroad tracks.
 iceangel79
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/21/2006 3:37:02 PM
Not to far from Phoenix few blocks over from Inkster. I don't mind this area at all. Not sure I would want to raise a family in this neighborhood but the price is right at the moment.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2006 3:41:25 PM
You probably want to stay away from Fort Garry. Its 10 minutes from downtown, has all kinds of amenities, including great parks, but its kind of expensive. Too many people trying to move in here. Try T'cona.
 el_bombero
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/22/2006 8:31:49 PM
Uh, yeah...Fort Garry is quite happening. I heard that house prices skyrocketed after droves of young, hip, professionals from Vancouver started abandoning their Yaletown lofts and flocking to Forty Garry in droves. This of course, resulted in negative population growth for the entire province of B.C. It's resulted in such a fervent mania that houses in FG are commanding twice their weight in gold bullion, with the sellers receiving options on first-born children of said professionals.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

-eB
 Farkis McSwifflebum
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/22/2006 8:34:33 PM
I really liked my house while I was in college because it was really close to school, but now this neighbourhood seems kind of lame.

Down with Brooklands!
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2006 8:41:25 PM
lol "el_bombero"

Plus you need to buy a Smart Car (or a bike) to even move into this area. That's why the left coast is emptying out to Fort Garry.

What is the weight of a house? (X gold bullion)
 gOdDeSs_oF_iCe
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/22/2006 8:56:23 PM
Maples were almost all asians are..bleh..hate it!!!
 JackNTheBox
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/22/2006 9:57:30 PM
OT~~I'm not tellin'.
Too many tree huggin' dog walkin' turds lookin' for houses in my area. Go play pretend in River Heights or some concrete suburb with a man made lake..
We have a 'cool people' meter at the entrance....kinda like a bug zapper....if ya fail.....
>:-)
 Red Queen II
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/23/2006 5:25:57 AM
@ Munkeechi; I live in Charleswood as well! Charleswood Rocks!
Depending on which area of Charleswood you live in, the Transit service can be slow & sporadic, I totally agree. I never leave my car unlocked at night either (It stays in a garage with a security alarm and has an immobilizer & a club). A bit extreme, I know but it's my "baby".

When I was growing up in East Kildonan & went to visit our cousins over in Charleswood, I told myself that someday, somehow I would move to that neighbourhood & now I'm here!

I enjoy the spacious backyards and the forested areas that dot the neighbourhood.
I live just two streets away from the Assiniboine Forest & about three minutes away from Assiniboine Park. I love it!

Now that I consider myself a "Charleswood Gal", I must say that I really enjoy living in this Community.

However, I would have to mention that there is no "Best Suburb/Area" in Winnipeg. Crime happens in all areas of the city, even though we may hear about a few incidents that take place in certain areas over & again. The drug trade, gangs, bikers and thier activities have been discovered in Tuxedo, River Heights, Whyte Ridge, etc. The only difference is that these areas have the "ways & means" to "Hide The Crime".
 Munkeechi
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/23/2006 6:51:51 AM
ohhhhh so you're at the other end Queen.. you're near the village by the subway and where the old robin's is? I'm out the "westdale" end of Charleswood. The transit out my area stinks... granted I get the 98, 65 and 79/67 but from my part of the area it takes forever to get anywhere.. plus now that they don't run the 79/67 across the bridge it makes things more of a PITA to get someplaces.

We've got a pie shaped lot right on the perimeter so we have an absolutely huge backyard.. I love it. You step out into it and it's like you're at a park or another world. Sure the traffic noise can be annoying at times but I've learned to tune it out.. it's just background noise.

Nothing beats Charleswood as far as I'm concerned... small.. get to know a lot of people quickly, easily know the area, feel safe at any time (although that did change for a bit after our house got broken into years ago) and you're only a 5 minute drive from most shopping like grocery stores or wal-mart..

I have seen other areas of the city I like as well... mostly for the gorgeous canopy of trees over seeing the roads... but Charleswood has always been home.. wherever I live when I finally move from here will be close to whatever school I get a job at, but this will always be home.
 Red Queen II
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:10:16 AM
Hello again Munkeechi!

I live kind of close to the Ol' Charleswood Village but south of Grant & just two minutes drive from Charleswood Centre.

Got to love those big backyards,eh? (Except when you have to mow the grass! )
My kitchen window faces West onto a forested area & the view is so peaceful. I agree that living in Charleswood's park-like setting certainly has that nice, cozy "small-town feeling".
Even though I grew up in East Kildonan, I will always consider our beautiful suburb of Charleswood my home as well.

Winnipeg has a lot to offer and no matter what part of the city you may reside, each Community/Suburb is beautiful & unique. Our city is really something to be proud of.

Have a great day Everyone.
 sally0
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:24:15 AM
Hey Red Queen we are practically neighbours! And Munkeechie, you aren't that far away either!

I find that the people in Charleswood are living the small town life. A lot of the local shop owners live in the area and so do their extended families. I wonder if this is true of other areas of the city as well. I am guessing it is to some extent. I grew up in Riverview and many of my friends and classmates have moved back into Riverview over the years. And it is the same here in Charleswood.

It is nice to see familiar faces when you are out walking and people here stop and chat when you are doing yardwork. Very friendly. Beautiful with all the trees and natural spaces. Oh yes, and the deer that come strolling down the street, too! Just wish they didn't eat the flowers!
 Red Queen II
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:46:15 AM
Hey Sally0! Nice to hear from a fellow "Charleswoodian"!
We certainly do live in a Friendly neighbourhood. I agree.
If you see me 'round our Neighbourhood, please say Hello!

I didn't plant any flowers in my front yard flower beds this year because of all those silly rabbits & deer, eating up everything. Where's my rifle? LOL!

When I left East Kildonan & moved into Charleswood, I promised myself that I would never move back to "The Old Neighbourhood". Only because I had really "fell in Love" with our area & couldn't imagine living anywhere else in our city.

That's the beauty of Winnipeg! Each Community/Suburb has it's own unique & special characteristics about it that make the residents proud to call it thier home.
 Siscobud
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/23/2006 4:00:20 PM
i didn't realise that many of us are from the chuckiewood/westdale area..
well i should correct that i just moved from that area to the other side of the river
but it is a great area
 gotta have fun
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/23/2006 5:00:05 PM
New St. Vital is the way to go
 twoshadows
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/23/2006 5:51:20 PM
Being a country dweller and loving it,I didn't think there was a good place to live in the city.
 Traditional Woman
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/23/2006 8:24:17 PM
Oh yeah.......Corydon.......Fort Rouge ..........raised my kids there, lived there for many years .....of course back then it wasn't as busy as it is now.............I have been thinking of moving back there!
 Vera57
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:22:25 PM
North End.

Been here for 17 years and love it. Got the big trees, nice neighbors,no pretensions,a little baby library, corner stores and great bus service. Oh, and musn't forget Alycia's and the North Star. Never have to cook.
 Ghosthaze_
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/24/2006 3:54:46 AM
Charleswood - Feels more like a small town then a suburb, less development
cons - a little too country.. One grocery store and almost in tuxedo before you reach another . Not for those who have no car
 Munkeechi
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/24/2006 1:41:42 PM
we only have 1 grocery store? since when? There's the Safeway at Charleswood Centre and the Extra Foods at Dale and Roblin, there's also a few little ones around too; your corner stores.
 ninjasword701
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/24/2006 2:04:04 PM
Winnipeg all in all is a shithole like Regina. There are no good safe areas.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?