Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 151
WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?Page 7 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Not afraid at all. Would love to date a military man.
 legallyblonde38
Msg: 152
WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?
Posted: 1/13/2007 3:33:35 PM
I was married/now divorced to a military man for 14 years, Navy first and me second..there is more to this story, but after what I went through my own self and this is "no offense" to anyone who is in the military by any means, I personally could not date someone again whether it be active duty or reserves. I am not trying to disuade anyone, this is just what happened to me, that's all.
 ChrystalS55
Msg: 153
Posted: 1/13/2007 3:39:17 PM
Hey Rusty. Thank you for laying your life on the line for me and for our country. I would be more than proud to date a military man. Although I was not fortunate to meet the right one. I don't think all women feel that way. My daughter married a Navy man, and she is very proud of him. Keep holding that head up there!
 KenF
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2007 4:51:18 PM
It's a challenge for us military guys to meet that special lady that can handle all that is involved with being with a military person.
We can be posted anywhere in the country, so not good for them seeing their family & possible to interfer with them & their career.
We are away, takes an independant lady that wants to be interdependant to handle that.
We go overseas & may return injured physically or mentally ...
Our fellow military ... set a wide assortment of examples both good & bad, ...

My 2 cents

:-) Ken
 shaylyn
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:17:12 PM
I am def not afraid to date a Military man, in fact, I would love to be with one. Just hard to find one around here that wants to settle down!
 LklndBadGrl
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:32:25 PM
I would Love to Date or Marry a Military man. Most of our Military men are "God Fearing Men" Believers of Jesus Christ.
Any Military men out there that want to date me look me up!!!
 urgirlholly
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:33:10 PM
Hmmm, I guess some women r afraid 2 settle down with a military man. Maybe they didn't look at what r all the issues that go along. As 4 me, I love Military men. I totally support all u men and women do 4 r country. I understand what things can come up, ex. how long a tour can be, the danger aspects of knowing ur man is out there fighting a war. But if u have true love towards ur soldier, u'll be there and support them in everything they do until they come home. Take it easy.

Holly
 Sabien
Msg: 158
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:35:38 PM
Hi its Sabien, I myself would have to say that im not scared to settle down with a man in the military. because i am secure with who I am. Its him job and some jobs require people to be gone for lengths of time. Plus I would know that the time that we had together would be quality time. It would all be on the maturity of the woman and how independant she is, and if she has a life of her own to keep her buisy while a military man had to do what he had to do. Plan and simple as that. You would also because of there job take pride in them because of what they are standing for so me myself i would be proud to settle down with a military man. The only problem with me and a military man is i dont like authority and am a strong woman and would give it right back, thats why im not in the military. So i respect your possition, I really think its not that big of a deal it just depends on the type of woman and if she is secure within herself for the time periods you would be gone, of course youll be missed. Hope that was some help. Good luck. Sabien
 Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 159
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:46:40 PM
It's not the fact he belongs to the Military that is important. It's his personality, integrity, interests, sense of humour and values that score points here. I like a guy who wears a uniform actually, but I've also worked with men who have served their country and came back with a lot of issues that were extremely difficult for them and their families to work through. War is such a destructive means to an end, there are never any winners, only people who suffer, and may never be the same again. But to those who do serve, you have our deepest gratitude and respect.
 OrangeJilly
Msg: 160
Posted: 1/13/2007 6:46:51 PM
....After dating the complete opposite of a Military Man (complete hippie, pot smoker, slacker), and dating a Military Man, its pretty obvious what I prefer. I dig guys in the service. They are (mostly) respectful, but more than that, respectable. My best friend is an Army wife and yes, its hard. I watched her and helped her through a year long deployment. It's a difficult life, but looking at them, seems worth it.
 ron385
Msg: 161
Posted: 1/13/2007 11:13:15 PM
As a Vietnam era vet, I'm going to tell you this. It's not wise to be married while in the military, g/f get lonely, wives get lonely. You would,nt believe how many married women hit on me back in the day. Finding the one who will be faithful is almost impossible.

I admire your bravery and patriotism, even tho I think this war is fruitless and without meaning.
 allusnine
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2007 11:27:16 PM
Its not that most women are afraid to settle down with a military man, it facing the unknown that scares the hell out of them. Mostly the young ones, the ones under 25, thats never been out of the same area of their family. I saw it during the first Gulf war, a lot of the young wives wanted their husbands to get out of the military to not have to go, giving them ultimatiums, either get out or I am leaving you. They were afraid to be left for God knows how long on their own, sometimes with babies to take care of.

Me, personally, I rather settle down with a Military man. I was raised in the Air Force and I was married to an enlisted man, at least until he decided he didnt want to be married to me anymore.
 louloublue
Msg: 163
Posted: 1/14/2007 1:10:32 AM
I WUD I HAVE MOST MILITARY MEN ARE REALLY NICE GUYS YOU GET SOME WHO ARNT BUT ITS THE SAME EVERY WERE YOU GO REGUARDLESS OF JOB SOME NICE SOME NOT SO NICE BUT HEY MILITARY MEN HAVE THAT WHOLE UNIFORM THING GOING ON AN YA GOTTA LOVE IT !! GOOD LUCK HUN
 ron385
Msg: 164
Posted: 1/14/2007 2:54:46 AM
OOPS! I forgot, in reference to my earlier post. Us guys get lonely too and have the tendency to cheat also. I wasn't married at the time but I saw it. There's two sides to everything.
 thatsmeamom
Msg: 165
Posted: 1/14/2007 8:27:03 AM
1st... I must say ron385, thanks a bunch for serving our country in that crappy war. And to all our servicemen and women who served past and present! That being said, with true patriotism; I just don't want to settle down with a military man. It's been my personal experience, that settling down is something that not to many want to do...
 venus93012
Msg: 166
Posted: 1/14/2007 3:36:24 PM
I was married to someone in the military for 20 years. I have seen it all, heard it all. No one should be judged because they are in the military. If any thing you should be proud that someone you love is willing to fight for what they believe in. Also to be proud that you are the rock that binds your man and your family together.. keeping all at home safe and secure until he is home again.

But on the same note, over those years I watched many marriages brake up. If a woman is not independent, able to live and function without her man for long periods of time. Then I think she should think twice about being married to someone in the service. I watched woman fall apart when things got hard. Often feeling like they had no one to lean on, loneliness would set in and with that often stupidity. Turning to someone else who took the opportunity to take advantage of their loneliness.

Other woman needed to have constant contact, reassurance from their spouse and found none because there was no communication allowed.

In all honesty it takes the right woman to be a military wife. She must be an independent person before she is married. Someone who creates a female support system so she has others to turn to who understand. She must keep busy, be it with school, raising kids, working or charity work. She needs to learn to not get drawn up into social clicks, and not take part in gossip. If she can do these things, has these qualities then being married to a man in military will work just fine.
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 167
Posted: 1/14/2007 3:40:56 PM
There are a lot of military men in Alberta and I would certainly love to meet and date one.

If I were fortunate enough to enter into a relationship with a military man, I would be concerned if they had to go overseas, but it would be for him...not for my needs.

^^BG^^
 fredriml
Msg: 168
Posted: 1/14/2007 3:54:47 PM
Hey, i know where you are coming from. I am in the Navy. been in for about 5 years now.
it's hard to find someone that understand that the military comes first, and to know that you can leave with very little notice. But hey that's what we do. Don't worry I haven't found anyone either.
 000firefighter
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/14/2007 4:05:26 PM
I 've been in the Military for 27 yrs now and have moved 10 x I would not want to drag a woman through that,,,I will have to move at least 2-3 more times if I stay in until I'm 55...and I don't believe our soldier boy here was shot either,, people just don't come out and say those sort of things...sorry budz but I can see right through ya!!!!been there done that!!!!
 jakeo_germany
Msg: 170
Posted: 1/14/2007 4:19:20 PM
I am in the military and I find it amazing that as women do marry us. Its a minor miracle when a woman marries a soldier with her eyes open. Long seperations. The fact that you (the spouse) are not #1. The constant moves. The lack of stable and meaningful employment for a professional woman (College graduates working night-shift at Wal-Mart is a sobering thing). Perhaps this explains why I am not married.

The divorce rate for US Army officers is 6% a year. That is pretty high.

Inconsequential Aside: Apparently Baptists have the highest divorce rate of common American religious sects, while Atheists and Agnostics have the lowest. Odd indeed. Also, Asians have by far the lowest divorce rate of any American ethnicity.
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 171
Posted: 1/14/2007 4:54:53 PM
Just thought I would mention that my youngest daughter is in a long term relationship with a fellow that decided to join the military after they had been together one year.

He finished his basic training and ended up in Wainwright, so I gave him my old car so he could come to Edmonton to see my daughter on the weekends and it worked out very well.

When he got stationed in Shiloh, she followed him and lived with him there for ten months.

He then got sent to a base in Ontario to prepare for his tour overseas. She came home at that time and has been here since then.

When he completes his tour at the end of February, he has some time off so is going to come home and they will have time together again.

I believe he is not going to renew his contract which is fine with my daughter. She did state that she would follow him to the end of the earth though and I believe her.

He is one of the finest young men I know and they are a great couple. The largest hurdles they have faced are tackled by talking about it....something she is very good at.

I think it takes a very special person to be there for our soldiers (both the men and women) and the dedication and love that goes with that are things that most of us are not prepared for.

Just wanted to brag a bit about my daughter and her man.

^^BG^^
 Infraction of Fate
Msg: 172
Posted: 1/14/2007 5:07:40 PM
No, not everyone is. Looks like I'm starting to see a military man right now. However, yes the constant change is a factor for anyone looking for a serious long term relationship. That is not the only reason though. Army Boys don't have the best of reputations my friend. I don't mean honour, etc, but with celibacy. Now I'm not saying every guy is doing everything he sees, but there are those that do and some people don't want to go near that, or start a relationship when you doubt he'll be faithfull when he's gone. Lets face it, it can be months (or god forbid years) at a time and it's hard to hold out!

That atleast is the thinking in my corner of the world from what I can see, and some people just have a problem being alone and don't want to be with someone who stands a good chance of not always being with them. You asked, I anwsered. Cheers to You~
 HomesteaderWoman
Msg: 173
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:40:49 AM
I wiuld love that. My father was a career Naval officer. good luck.
 sweetone1978
Msg: 174
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:41:23 PM
I was engaged to a Marine. I waited 7.5 months for him to finish boot camp only to have him come home on boot leave and cheat on me. While he was at boot camp, I did everything I could to prepare myself for the life as a military spouse. I joined chatrooms, read books, joined a support group and talked to several military spouses so I had an idea of what I was getting into only to have him do me wrong. But that one experience does not make me bitter. In fact, I would happily date a man in the military and even settle down with one. So, I am NOT afraid to settle down with a Military Man.
 Disco Daddy
Msg: 175
Posted: 3/5/2007 11:12:34 PM
I talk to women about this all the time... Usually when they meet a man from the military, he wants to get married and have children right away... Ha Ha I've even had some cat from the military try to propose to one of my girlfriends... That was very weird, because I felt bad that he was being shipped out, but you can't just ask another man's girlfriend to marry you... And then there is always the military hooker stories... Guys always come home talking about all the different hookers and women they were with... A few bad apples spoil the bunch I guess, but I'm sure there are women who would actually prefer military men... It's just a matter preferences... I mean hey, not all women date black guys, but many do... You'll find your niche, and when you do scratch it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?