Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Are people these days 'too picky'...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jdtallfem
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Are people these days 'too picky'...Page 2 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
I think people who date online especially can become too picky, because they use a profile and a picture as an excuse not to get to know someone. In St Louis I actually worked for a dating service and watched as people eliminated people right and left who had many valuable qualities, only to "fall for them" later at a party or other singles function. Don't dismiss someone just because they don't seem your type when you see someone online. You're really only getting a snapshot. What's the effort to go get a cup of coffee and make a friend? If nothing else it can expand your social network and you never know. The person you might dismiss might become the love of your life.
 mandy1984
Msg: 27
Are people these days 'too picky'...
Posted: 7/18/2006 5:17:12 PM
Hey fakker not to single you out or anything and I know that this is off topic, but define work for little pay, for instance I decided to switch from Civil Engineering to Civil Engineering Tehnology so that I could be a technician and work outdoors, the pay decrease is significant, are you saying that I'm woprking for little pay or do you mean along the lines of someone who works at a fast food joint and has no education?
 Katy_Kat
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/18/2006 5:19:11 PM
its not called being picky, its calling having standards.

some people would rather stay single for years on until they find someone worth being with. i.e. me.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/18/2006 5:31:57 PM
Yes, people are way too picky. We should take anything that is offered; we should settle on the first person who shows an interest. Why wait? There might be better mates out there, but who knows? Why take a chance? Getting married is certainly the prime objective of every human being, and being married to someone who is stupid, rude, vicious, abusive, void of emotion, butt-ugly, weighs 500 pounds, picks his/her butt/nose in public, boring, oversexed or undersexed, lived with his/her mother until he/she was 45, or is consistently unemployed . . . being with someone like that is better than not being with anyone at all.

Isn't it?
 MoparGuy69
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:00:00 PM
Yes, people i feel in my opinion put to much emphasis on looks. I always say to people there is more to someone then a pretty face. I myself, try to get to know someone and be there friend first. I will be honest looks are nice to have but people need to be more realistic. When i see someone who is very attractive nine times out of ten they have an attitude. I could be wrong though. Don't hold me to it. I do have some friends that are looking for a freakin model and i tell them you are wasting your time. He sais i chose to be that way! if i am not attracted to them, i am not going out with them. I guess everyone has there illusive image of what they want.
 terminallycute
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:01:48 PM
yes!!...as a matter of fact..

I am!!
 angelab
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:02:40 PM
I'm picky and I don't care what anyone thinks of me because of that.

I know exactly what I want and I won't settle for anything less than that. I'm very comfortable in my own skin and do very well as a single person, so I'm in no rush.
 jiminthebeach
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:03:49 PM
I think it's great that people are more picky. It means less people are settling for something they don't really want. I'd prefer someone exclude me because they were too "picky" than choose to hook up with me and not believe I was the best possible choice they could make.
 designingwoman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:18:30 PM
Pickiness is making sure that you are with the RIGHT person for the long haul.
 michaels in orlando
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:24:52 PM
I think everyone is a little picky. I dont want to date a girl who doesnt see something special in me and me see something special in her
 good_eat
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:31:35 PM
"There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "too picky".
"Standards"... are a very good thing to maintain."

Don't forget that 50% people are below the "standards". Are they supposed to be single?
 angelab
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:33:53 PM
^
Everyone has different standards for what they want. What's perfect to me will be completely unappealing to someone else.
 EyezWideShut
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:37:44 PM
I know who I am and what I like.. why "settle" for less.
Lets face it, when we were younger, there was an ocean of fish to choose from..
Speaking from personal experiences, now that I'm older and some what wiser, I am not looking in the ocean but from a pond... it may have fewer choices but maybe, just maybe I'll find my lil fishy!
 calgaryboi
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:40:40 PM
standards? worth being with? ..its all a bunch of hogwash! by saying you are waiting for someone that is "worth" waiting for you are inherently saying everyone else is worthless! or not worth your time...which is BS...you will fall for whom you fall for..they might be the complete opposite from what you want or wish for...by setting ideals of what you want you are limiting your possibility at having some really fun times...so yeah some of you people are too picky and are the worse off for it...relax, have fun, and enjoy meeting new people...one you don't think you will click with might just be "the one" ....
 moraima
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:54:15 PM
OK, let's all stop being too picky.

Rush right into our next bad relationship, and live with the drama of getting ourselves out of it.

Who's going to be first?

Hey, think of all the new thread material we can get.
 sweetpotato
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:58:10 PM
I prefer to say selective about what we are looking for. The older you get the less you tend to bend on some of your expecatations. Some are not realistic as you get older.
 heyitsdoug
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/19/2006 9:06:14 PM
Call me picky......or shallow......if you like........but I know what I want and after being in relationships that showed me more of what I DON'T want........I've decided to hold out for the total package......a woman who "fits" me in every way so that when the newness of a relationship wears off we still have the passion and desire for each other to last long term. If you ask me, with the divorce rate being what it is.......we should be MORE picky.
 sddude
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/19/2006 9:46:43 PM
yes people are too picky , dumpster girl never chose me .
 luv to laugh
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2006 8:11:36 PM
There is no perfect partner but as long as two people are compatible in most things, it can work. I noticed that the most people who are on the most favourites lists are the really good looking people, not the average looking people. I think that if both sexes gave the average looking people a chance, as long as they shared alot of the same interests, then it could work. People, just look at the picture and don't give the person a chance. Saying all this, I realize that some people like myself am not attracted to really obese men, but if they have a few extra pounds, that's okay. I also am not attracted to men that are too skinny, although, again it depends on the person. My first love was thin but I loved him because he had a great personality and made me laugh alot. I am picky in certain things. For instance I won't date a heavy smoker who smokes inside as I am allergic to smoke or someone who uses illicit drugs or abuses alcohol. I don't mind social drinking. I guess you could call me picky in some things but am willing to meet someone who has some different interests then mine.
 visitor q
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/20/2006 8:22:59 PM
humans aren't picky. we just don't know our hearts. can't pick cause we don't know even ourselves. read the profiles here. adventure means skydiving. romance with a beach and candles.
 AprilRaine
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/21/2006 6:13:41 PM
Blue Eyed Fun...Bravo! Very well stated. As I mentioned on another post, I will never settle for less than I want again. That said, however, I know that what I seek may not be apparent at first glance. That's why people need to get beyond emailing and phone calls to actually meet in person...then date more than once before deciding, "Nah...he's(she's) not the one for me." You might not know unless you date them for a WHILE. People tend to judge too quickly anymore. They need to get to know them better, to understand why they do or act they way they do. It's kind of like the old adage of "walk a mile in his moccasins".
 WYSWYG
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/21/2006 7:49:20 PM
I think we all are picky somehow because we don't want to be stuck with the wrong person. Much as we have our own criteria for an ideal partner, we have to be realistic enough that we don't have all the desired characteristics of a perfect mate. It's a question of whether we can accept or tolerate the person's inadequacies and idiosyncracies as they do ours before we enter into a committed relationship.
 iconoclast2000
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2006 8:15:40 PM
Yeah, that's always been my problem: unrealistically high standards -- I'm only willing to go out with women who'll date me...
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/21/2006 9:44:02 PM
I met someone ...
who is right for me...
BECAUSE I was picky !!!
 Paparazzi Puncher
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/21/2006 9:49:30 PM
The answer is yes.....And everyone should be. The only problem is that some people are picky over the wrong things.

Rainbow....You weren't picky enough my dear....Come on,Join us..........JOIN US!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Are people these days 'too picky'...