Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what is the opposite to love?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cedar77
Msg: 76
view profile
History
what is the opposite to love?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
indifference - unbiased impartial unconcern
unconcern - a feeling of lack of concern
aloofness, distance - indifference by personal withdrawal; "emotional distance"
detachment, withdrawal - avoiding emotional involvement

IMO......

I think that if you phrased the question "within all emotions what is the opposite of love?"
the answer would be hate.

But if you ask in a totally broad way "what is the opposite of love?"
the answer would be indifference.
 Nicky2Tone
Msg: 77
what is the opposite to love?
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:35:12 PM
A lot of people feel passionately about doing negative things. I have several clients in the M.E. region and spend quite a bit of time there. I see it all the time; people who have such a passion for destroying others not out of love, but out of hatred. I would not classify these people as psychotic either. They were brought up in such an environment, that led them to this.
 Midwestrebel
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:38:37 PM
To move from one state of matter to another requires a release of energy. To go from frozen to a liquid form you need heat. Same thing applies with emotion. You may find yourself saying that, “I love that man with a passion.” Later you may find your saying “I hate that man with a passion.” To move from one state of emotion to another gives off an energy we call passion. Passion requires extra emotional energy that cannot be sustained indefinitely. This is why it feels so strong in the beginning and then tapers off over time
 allunil
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:41:58 PM
the opposite of love is being loveless...............
unable to receive love or give it.................
 SimplyPeachy
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:45:03 PM
agreed. opposite of love is loveless. i'll revise my answer on that end. i will add passion and love is one in the same: e.g. the post above = they love to destroy others. which is a state of psychotic behavior. you just said it. thank you. next!!!
 Victor7777
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:45:35 PM
Yes many other definitions...like apathy...
 Nicky2Tone
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:57:39 PM
Nice try, but it doesn't work that way and your attempt to simplify it won't make it so. They do not love to destroy others. There is no love involved. There is no love in their eyes. There is only hatred, anger and what they perceive to be justice based on the environment they were brought up in and the belief system instilled.

It is also not psychotic behavior, which is a medical situation based on physical neurological impairments. The whole of this region is not mentally impaired; it is environmentally created behavior, just like any other country has.
 Midwestrebel
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/23/2006 9:10:31 PM
Well, no matter how you slice it or call it, some state of emotion got you there. If your truly apathetic, indifferent, emotionless, depressed, withdrawn, then more then likely some extreme state of emotion put you there. It is not healthy to hold emotions in and most of us go though our normal everyday lives having a wide range of emotions. Hopefully most of us riley on the base emotion of happiness. And for those of you out there that has never hated there boss, lover, friend or some public figure who challenges our everyday understanding of the word love, then let me ask you this. With out understanding hate, how do you understand love?
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 9:32:12 PM
With out understanding hate, how do you understand love?

Never said I've never hated. It was the most terrible emotion possible to experience in my estimation. I'm not trying to claim any moral superiority for overcoming it. I honestly can't say how or when I conquered it or even for sure that I have but I can't remember the last time I experienced it. The last time I remember for sure was 30 years ago when a grown man hit my baby daughter in the face and drew blood. That made me crazy with hatred and for the only time in my life I truly wanted to kill someone. I came dangerously close to doing just that before I regained enough control of myself to stop. I learned something about me that day that I knew that I had to destroy. I believe I have. Anger I can channel constructively but anger combined with hate knows no reason. That can never happen again.

We seem to apply the same degree of passion into defending as the passion we hold for what we are defending. Anyone who loves half heartedly, defends the object of that love half heartedly. That day I learned that I have the capacity to kill to defend someone I love.
 johnglc
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/23/2006 9:33:22 PM
Fear...........
 Mile High Man
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:10:23 PM
/quote

I can't believe only two of us know the answer! Apathy or indifference is born of fear. Come on folks look deeper!
 Mile High Man
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:11:05 PM
By the way how do you do the quote thing? Not used to this forum.
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:17:48 PM
Instructions on right side above smilies. Welcome to the forums. Be careful. They're addicting.
 Midwestrebel
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:19:25 PM
Good post Huck, an uneducated and less civil man would not have stopped. We as civil and moral beings should be proud of our abilities to overcome and to conquer our fear and bring out the love and respect we should all have for one another. Your a good man.

For the thread, link below, second paragraph, second sentence...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2006 11:38:50 AM
Thanks for the compliment midwestrebel although I don't really feel deserving of it.

I believe that vanity, jealousy, lust, hate and greed are five negative aspects of the human condition that we should all strive to overcome. I also realize that others may feel differently and that's their right. Hate is the only thing on that list that needs parameters set regarding it. Hate of an evil is fine. Hate of an individual is never ok.

Also I like to believe that I've finally learned that I'm not put in this world to straighten everybody else out. Got problems enough just straightening me out.

That's not what this thread is about though. I apologize for rambling. It seems that whether they are perceived as one and the same or not love and hate both reside under the umbrella of passion on one end of the sprectrum while indifference balances the scales on the opposite end. It seems that rather than there being huge disagreements here, the real problem lies in the limitations of the English language. Sometimes there just aren't enough words.

Thanks op for starting this thread. It's very thought provoking.
 Jorge1120
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/24/2006 12:09:55 PM
The oppostie of love is disinterest. Nuf said!
 gadaveuk
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2006 12:42:23 PM
Hi

Message 90

I believe that vanity, jealousy are from insecuity.

Lust, is a physical attraction which is often taken as love.

Hate often arises from as a result of pain or betyal of trust, it also arises when people go against spiritual values.

Greed comes from our own insecuities.

Are we able to know who we are orhow much we love if we are hurting or livving in fear?

Hatred often rises from resentments, which is the inability to let pain heal forgive and move on.

In hating another person we are tied to the past and unable to set our self free from the pain.

The forgiving is not for the perpeatrator but for the victim?

Regards

Dave
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what is the opposite to love?