Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > STD Test Would you consider taking one before you start a sexual rel      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eternal Hope
Msg: 76
STD Test Would you consider taking one before you start a sexual relationship?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
interesting observations people.

Either way its both your responsibilities to make sure your safe, don't assume that you are

i would never refuse having it done if it was a partner that i was willing to spend a lot of time with and she had asked, which is what happened last time.

and like some suggested doing it for a first date!!! you must have different ones to the ones ive had then

at the end of the day its a long term piece of mind type of issue
 SanToki
Msg: 77
view profile
History
STD Test Would you consider taking one before you start a sexual relationship?
Posted: 12/6/2007 1:18:46 PM
Did you know if you voluntarily have the full test done including the aids part it can affect you getting insurance in the future.
The insurance companys view having an aids test as part of it as an admission of guilt so they can charge you as being higher risk.
I was going to have the full one done until i heard this and settled on the normal one on advice from my doctor

EternalHope I wasnt implying your doctor was lying.

Allow me to do it for you then.
EH, your Doctor was completely full of crap
 claire2282
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/7/2007 4:58:53 AM
("Did anyone else hear a whoooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh of the irony and humour go over anyones head?
Protect ourselves as best we can. That was my point.

Each one of us on here that have children have obviously had un protected sex at one point...

Keep safe people ")

Yeah...that and get tested! don't assume you don't have an STD because as you quite rightly pointed out, and as i already said previously, we DO all have kids....or most of us do.
 eliza-jane
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/16/2007 6:12:57 PM
Scandinavian countries treat testing as a normal part of the end of every relationship and so do I.

Having lived in the US San Francisco 1982 -4 I have seen many beautiful, talented, wonderful people die from this scourge both there and in England and certainly would consider it highly irresponsible of myself should I pass it on unknowingly to another. Also if identified early many people can expect to live a long time with medication.

STD clinics are a lot more user friendly now, a blood test yes if requested but no internal for chlamydia etc as diy with instruction. Counselling before and of course great support if positive, which is highly unlikely remember.

Ditch the chlamydia though - government enforced birth control by default me thinks mebe.
 nigelwright
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/16/2007 6:59:22 PM

First one - Quite honestly - there is no need, as last I heard you had to be having sex in order to get an STD

Not true, coming into contact with items that are infected will do the same thing.
Public toilet seats are a classic example.

Also some STD's lie dormant and the first you know you have it is when a ovary bursts with disease. A friend of mine nearly died but I cant remember what STI she had.

I have caught STD's of a regular girlfriend and she hadnt slept with anyone for over a year.

Sex is a dirty business unless you both keep yourselves clean.
 Tuttifruity
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/16/2007 9:38:17 PM
My thoughts are well...

Christ is that where i'm heading these days?

Do you get a certificate to say you are clear from std's?
 MrsX
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:12:39 AM
If you're sexually active it makes good sense to be checked for STDs.

The clinics are friendly and non judgmental, in fact they pretty darn informative. Syphilis and gonnariah (?) are on the increase according to them and it can be orally transmitted, did you know that?

In South Africa you can't take out insurance without an Aids test first, I'm sure this country will soon catch up.

I've been to the clinic a good few times over the years, for my own peace of mind.
 RoyalBK
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:56:21 AM
The thing about having an hiv test effecting your insurance was true about 8 years or so ago, but thankfully the insurance company regulaters stepped in slapped them upside the head and told them they cant do that. I went in and had a hiv test done for the first time in 1998 because my girlfriend at the time requested it. I also had to have a full battery of tests including hiv just over 4 months ago as a requirement for a job i applied for while living in the states.

To be honest asking for and having tests done now is quite a sensible thing to do. As other posters have said std's in the sexually active population are shooting up and one of the biggeste risers is our friend the gift that keeps on giving herpes. Im not sure what the figures are here in the uk, but in the states its something like 1 in 6 adults has herpes either type a or type b. The really worrying thing is how common the non sexual version of herpes is amoungst children. and most worrying of all there still isnt a cure for it.
 sweetnfeisty1
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:52:12 AM
In the states its actually 1 in 4 adults have herpes type 2, and between 60-80% have type 1 (typically associated with cold sores). By age 50 its the 80% figure. On average, 30% of the new cases of genital herpes is now actually type 1, mostly caused by oral sex.

In the UK, I believe that type 1 is even more prevalent than in the US. I can't be certain but I have read that in a few places.

Children mostly get HSV1 from parents and adults innocently kissing them - its usually not due to anything sexual. Cold sores/fever blisters caused by HSV1 have never really had any stigma attached to them in the past, and still don't for the most part. However, because we now know that they can cause HSV1 genitally, people are slowly starting to understand that herpes is herpes, and that type 1 and type 2 are very similar.

But what people still don't seem to realise is that almost everyone with herpes has no idea that they have it and are walking around undiagnosed. 90% of those with HSV2 do not realise they have it, and 60% of people with HSV1 don't recall ever having a cold sore. Unfortunately here in North America they do not test for Herpes unless specifically requested, and in Canada its very difficult to get blood tested with an accurate test even by special request. The lack of knowing what one has is not helping the spread one little bit.

Herpes is, however, not a particulaly dangerous STD/STI. Except in rare cases, its really more of a nuisance virus with an unwarranted and disproportianate stigma. Some of the curable STI's are actually the most dangerous, and can also go undetected for years. Early detection and a dose of antibiotics is often all that is needed which is why testing, even in the absence of symptoms, is so very important, and why having a test before getting into a sexual relationship should simply be routine.

The sooner we lose the stigma and start viewing these things from a more medical perspective, as opposed to a social one, the better off we will all be, in my opinion.
 -LIL-
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/17/2007 4:48:23 AM
Misconceptions:

Women are NOT routinely tested for STI's during a smear test. Some will be for Chlamydia.

The window period for anti-bodies to show up in a HIV test can take up to 6mths, not 3 as commonly misbelieved. (The Dept of Health don't want the public to know this.)

Insurance companies no longer discriminate if you tell them you have been tested for HIV.

The number for the National Sexual Health Helpline is: 0800 567 123

Don't be misinformed & play Russian Roulette with yours & others lives.

Remember they are funded by the DOH though, & will advise you are tested for HIV after 12 weeks of putting yourself at risk. However, if asked, the advisor should tell you that yes, actually, there are many cases of people taking up to 6ths to test positive.
 OBird
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 4:57:33 AM
Message 86

The sooner we lose the stigma and start viewing these things from a more medical perspective, as opposed to a social one, the better off we will all be, in my opinion.

How very very true! Having read some of the posts in this thread it is no longer a surprise to me that the number of sexually transmitted infections is on the increase.

We don't have any qualms about being tested for other health issues - why should this be any different?

Wise up, everybody. Get tested. Get peace of mind.
 GrumpyOldWoman
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/17/2007 8:40:11 AM

Did you know if you voluntarily have the full test done including the aids part it can affect you getting insurance in the future.

The insurance companys view having an aids test as part of it as an admission of guilt so they can charge you as being higher risk

Education is the key.

Nobody goes to own GP for referrals for this type of tests.

You go to a GUM clinic and the results are confidential, do not go on your GP file.
 lela_haha
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/17/2007 1:35:03 PM
And what about the people who have the phobia to hospitals and medical stuff? Just because we're scared to trust sick f@@k doctors and medical stuff period and refuse to trust any doctor or medical thing. What does that make us carriers? Or we selfish? Its stupid to believe medical perspectives. They want you to believe it so they can poke and prod at you legally. Hell no I am never trusting a doctor or medical procedures ever cause doctors are sick f@@ks!! Paps are bad enough. No one is coming near me with a needle. hahaha. We are not the reason its going around. Medical people want to make ya all stay home so you have no life. Don't listen to those idiots. Live a little and stop being so worried. At least stop dissing others who don't go for testing.
 MrsX
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:00:58 PM
Message 89, no one is dissing anyone.

We've only stated our views regarding nasties, no one is being nasty that I see.
 percypookie
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:09:08 PM
Just to stop anyone believing that STD's can be "caught" off a public toilet seat is part of the health promotion that Health Workers in STD clinics are working hard to eradicate.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=436§ionId=1

STD's can lay dormant for a long period of time, Chlamydia being one of them. Often there are no symptoms, however left undetected can lead to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease/Ectopic Pregnancy or Infertility.

Lily is quite right smear tests do not equal screening ! Getting tested is easy, ring any GUM clinic and the service is confidental.
 ~Student Nurse~
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:13:01 PM
I am not dissing anyone who doesnt go for regular testing, in particular if they have been sexually active but i thinbk its a dangerous game of Russian roulette to play, and not only with your own health but the health of others....

I cant help but think its also incredibly selfish, again because it isnt just you at risk, but the health of any man who sleeps with you after and any woman he may sleep with after

STD's / STI's arent spread just via penerative sex so just because you wear a condom during sex it doesnt mean that you are 100% protected.

I get myself checked out annually, regardless of whether i have been in a sexual relationship or not. Drastic i know but its only because i dont want to get slack with regards to me gettingmyself tested. Now its as routine for me as brushing my teeth, theres no chance i will forget to do it. I also get myself tested prior to commencing a sexual relationship with a new partner.
 willow
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:21:33 PM
Ok, so you go and have yourself tested and get the all clear, now what...Do you insist that your new partner does the same and refuse to have unprotected sex with them until they show you the paper work..Has anyone done this I ask..

If not , at least you know if you catch something you can turn round and say " You gave me that "...Or can you, if you can catch it elsewhere..
 lela_haha
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:24:31 PM
I'm not saying anything bad but I've seen it said in other threads. Its offensive to be told or hear its selfish not to get tested. God no wonder everyone is scared if you believe those sick f@@ks.
 MrsX
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:25:06 PM
Yes. Aids is rife in South Africa. It's a mindset you get into. Go to the clinic together.
 ~Student Nurse~
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:40:35 PM
I'm not saying anything bad but I've seen it said in other threads. Its offensive to be told or hear its selfish not to get tested. God no wonder everyone is scared if you believe those sick f@@ks.

lela haha How can it be offensive? I'm sorry but in my opinion it IS selfish,
as i have previously stated; it isnt just your sexual health at risk, but the health of your partner and any females that he may sleep with after..

It isnt like a smear where if you dont get yourself screened you are only placing your own health at risk. STI's affect the health of others, HIV, Herpes, Chalmedyia (sp), genital warts etc, they are highly infectious and not only that, many run the risk of infertility.... yes i feel that is something to be scared off.

What is your rationalle for not getting tested?

You have seen my reasons for why i think a person SHOULD get tested..

Ok, so you go and have yourself tested and get the all clear, now what...Do you insist that your new partner does the same and refuse to have unprotected sex with them until they show you the paper work..Has anyone done this I ask..

I do actually ask they do this but i am not taking anyones word for gospel. Everyones sexual health is their responsibility. I used Condoms as well as being on the contraceptive pill. i wont lie, there has been the drunken fall into bed sha$ where the condom has been omitted, hence the annual check or the check up before commencing a new relationship.
 lela_haha
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/17/2007 4:17:06 PM
student nurse:

I have and thats what happens when you listen to doctors.
They make everyone scared of life with this medical crap.

My reason is a phobia to hospitals and medical stuff period. Paps are hard enough I have almost passed out from getting the paps done. My fear is lethal to. No one can come near me with a needle without me getting ready to attack the one with the needle. Can't even hear a discussion around anyone for any length of time or I'll throw up and pass out. Oh blah blah blah there health and your. Stop worrying so much and live a little.
 Miss_stevie_G
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 10:52:38 PM
i went for a cervical smear about three weeks ago, i asked for a complete sexual health check, hiv , gonnoreha, syphliss, and everything else, they all come back negative (clear) so i`m healthy, apart from my smear which there was something abnormal and they took a biopsy, i get the results tomorrow morning, i am worried it might be cancer as all the women in my family have had it, so fingers cossed its not, i`ll worry until i get the results.
 keely72
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/18/2007 2:50:26 AM
Very suprised and shocked by this response, as a nurse the respondant needs to know that cervical smear testing is not carried out as regularly as 6mths and STI testing is not automatically conducted, however it maybe requested.

As for knowing that you do not have an STI, this is not that clear cut unless you have never had unprotected sex with a partner. A number of STIs can lay dormant and may not present any symptoms. STI detection is increasing in heterosexual women and I would always have a full sexual MOT with any new partner.
 ~Missy~H
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/18/2007 5:13:51 AM
I've got nothing to worry about, I always wet wipe my dildo after I use it.
 RoyalBK
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/18/2007 5:36:28 AM
All i can say the diseases and deaths are real playing without having had some kind of test is for the idiots. Tell the millions in africa that are dying from STD's that the chances of catching it from unprotected sex are slim.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > STD Test Would you consider taking one before you start a sexual relationship?