Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what does "christian - other" mean to YOU?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 51
view profile
History
what does christian - other mean to YOU?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I call myself Christian because I believe the gospel to be true. I recognize that Christ asked me to believe that of my own free will,, or not. Although I choose to believe it I understand that He gives everyone that choice and He didn't put me here to deprive anyone of it. Any serious study of His life shows that He never browbeat anyone into accepting. He also associated with the poor, the sick, the downtrodden and defended his actions by saying "It's the sick that need a physician." He put a tremendous amount of energy into admonishing established religion for missing the mark and binding their fellow man with unnecessary burdens too heavy to bear.

Some things never change and the church, generally speaking is in the same state today that Christ found it in then. Each one preaching that their understanding is the only true understanding. One only has to follow the news to see that within the ranks of the church corruption abounds. The devil does some of his best work in church but so does God. I don't go to church because I usually end up just seeing the misdeeds in men and end up stumbling. We each must find our own way and it is the most personal element in our existence. God doesn't even claim for Himself the authority to judge us yet. He knows that we're a work in progress and the time is not yet. It's no wonder so many people are so turned off by what they see of people professing Christianity.

The word "other" tacked on there states for me that I choose to take my guidance from God through the Holy Spirit rather than from man. I seek honest truth no matter how it lands. Man has a tendency to read his own wishes into things. If I can find a denomination that allows me that and still maintain the spiritual integrity that is right and fitting for a church, then I guess that's what I'll be but I don't see it happening. Assembly of God is the closest thing I know to meeting that and is what I most closely relate to but that wasn't a choice so I guess I'll just be "Christian-other".
 RNeal
Msg: 52
what does christian - other mean to YOU?
Posted: 11/27/2006 8:57:23 PM
just as a football player goes
to practice at a stadium with his team
so does a Christian go to practice at they're church
with they're team
I once believed I didn't need to go to a church
to be a Christian
but I have since changed my mind on the matter
For different reasons, but one is the stength in numbers
If I choose to hang with serious Christians and read from the bible
and study the word with these people I might have
a better understanding as to why some people in the church are self destructive and
with a lack of submission and obedience to Christ our lord. at this point the only thing I can do is pray for these people, and who better to pray with than a group of people that might know how or does it more frequently. I say this not to impune anyones belief on going or not going to church I say this cause this is what I feel now verses what I used to , and If ot helps someone become closer to Christ then that would make me happy. Ron
 theruffneck
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/28/2006 10:53:25 AM
Me personally I am not exactly the Posterchild for a christian to begin with.
the Christian other is just that a coverall for options that are not listed. I myself spent alot of time looking for a church that just taught Sound doctrine straight from the bible. currently the closest I have came is at an alliance churce but they still have thier areas that I din't agree with them on.

I take the Bible for exactly what it says. I have some very Well schooled people that I study with on a regular basis that are in the same boat as I. And we all woudl fit under that umbrella. Much the same there are many out there that don't exactly Like my methods of study and it all boils down to what I saw posted a few pages ago

Love the lord your god with all your heart... and love your neighbor as yourself!!

Later

J
 sandra47ok
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2006 6:05:08 PM
I want to apologise profusely for the so called christian that had the nerve to say that anyone was burning in Hell. To begin with none of us know who is actually going there, or is already there except for God so it was quite a rude presumption to say that. I know as a christian myself that we are supposed to be accepting of other peoples beliefs as well as respectful thereof. Jesus was all about love now and will be always! Rest assured that all of Christs followers are not that judgemental. God Bless! sandra47ok
 designingwoman
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2006 2:24:15 PM
Hell doesn't exist--except here on Earth in this life

Do yourself a favor and ignore anyone who tells you you are going to burn in hell!
 A Veggie Fish!
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 7:12:16 PM
Hell doesn't exist?? Yikes! I too WAS Catholic from birth and through most of my life and even I was taught about hell in parochial school. One of my bibles has 10 references to it, many from the gospels. Read Matthew 18:9.... words of Jesus .... about hell! Although the devil would love to make you think it doesn't exist. The Bible says otherwise. Regarding another previous post; I too have learned that there is strength in numbers. A good church is hard to find perhaps, but well worth seeking out. That's where you can find real healing and something called corporate anointing that invades every area of life. Thanks to whoever started this thread. :)
 Male_26*
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/9/2006 12:13:05 AM
It controdicts christianity itself to me, i mean the religion is supposed to dictate certain rules and beleaves , so one changing them to suit there own ways, isnt this just another person doing things to suit himself.
 designingwoman
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 9:47:42 PM
There's no scientific proof or logic behind the belief in "Hell". Sorry to burst your bubble, sane and single, but those who have had near death experiences have NOT encountered a hell and brimstone experience. Those who were dead long enough had no such experiences and recall similar experiences such as a life review, and encountering a Being of Light (God). God created us, and we ultimately belong back to Him. You are out of luck if you expect to see a or Hell! The devil is no more real than Zeus, Apollo, or the Tooth Fairy. But God is very real since there had to be Something to trigger the Big Bang. People may have called God different names but He is still the same Being of Light.

Just because something is written in the Bible does not necessarily make it accurate. The Bible was written during pre scientific times. Many things in the Bible are literary symbolisms, including the devil and Hell. The line about gays being an abomination is a similar concept. Obviously, the person who wrote that was unaware of genetic traits as we are today. Left handed people were condemned for many years out of ignorance. The same thing can be applied to "Christians" and others who quote the Bible in an attempt to bash gays and lesbians--they are ignorant or worse, bullheaded bigots.

Gehenna was a place where trash was burned, so the idea of Hell came from that.
 looking for love 2nd x
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/4/2007 8:40:13 AM
I am a Serbian Orthodox Christian
Therfore I also believe in Jesus as my Savior, God as my Creator, and the Holy Spirit as my Guidance.

therefore Christan-Other was just the best choice on this site.
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/4/2007 6:57:54 PM
To me it means spiritual with no set denomination
 Feral
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2007 9:26:01 PM

To me (in the context of the profile), it means "other than Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, or Lutheran".
As it applies to me, it means I follow and love Jesus Christ and his message to the world. To answer your questions (as they apply to me):

~have you seen, in the bible (and/or in modern times), how denominational sects distract from the goal of christianity?
Yes, yes I have. Which is why I don't think squabbling over dogmatic interpretations of doctrine is the way to go, if one is to follow Christ.
~have you yet to find a group you fit into?
No, I fit pretty nicely into a Pantheistic/Pagan understanding and acceptance of Jesus.
~are you currently being excommunicated?
Probably, just the "church" and I don't know it yet.
~just really, really flakey?
Not at all, and I don't see what that would have to do with being of a different Christian path than the ones specifically listed.
~other (please explain)?
"Other" describes me well. None of the recognised definitions of the terms given quite encapsulates my faith tradition, so I leave it on something that isn't conducive to prejudicial assumption. If someone wants to know, they'll ask and I'll tell. I'm sure the same goes for the specific "Christian - other" category, too.
 Dannyboy64
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2007 5:27:21 AM
I think it may be better if the profile had a few other choices. Perhaps a second conditional field that would indicate what branch of the major religion may be a good idea.

To me 'Christian Other' could include Evangelicals, Charasmatics, Calvinists, JW's, Mormons, United Church, Oneness Pentacostals, Adventists, etc. You don't know how similar the other person's beleifs are to yours if all it says are Christian other.

What do you all think of lumping in the Baptists, Mennonites and Evangelicals? I go to an Evangellical church, but we love it when the Blackaby's (Southern Baptist) come to preach. I have also noticed that about 40% of our church comes from a charasmatic / pentacostal background, and 20-30% from a Menonite background or ethnicity. The basic doctrines are the same, but there are just differences when it comes to tongues and other interesting manifestations.

Here in Calgary we had a Calvinist as the head of the Evangelical Ministerial Association. A Pentacostal church even donated $100K to our building fund as a show of unity. If you live in a city with a large number of Sihks, Muslims, Mormons, Budhists, humanists, etc we all learn how to find common ground pretty fast.
 Justme/Bruce
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/7/2007 1:26:59 AM
I for one do believe there is an ultimate Good and ultimate Evil. I have had the good fortune to be blessed by God. I have also had the misfortune to witness someone possessed by the Evil one. I am not trying to persuade you or argue with you. I am simply sharing my experiences.
 HarmlessHeart38
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/10/2007 6:13:15 PM
To me Christian- Other means that I am a Christian and choose not to be labeled as a follower of any particular denomination. The important part is the Christian title. I do think people need to know that about me, because it is not separate from who I am. The denomination is not important to me. However, a certain degree of commonality is needed in this area for it to work for me. I have attended many different churches in my life, Baptist, Quaker, Church of Christ, Church of God, Assemblies of God, Independent Fundamentalist, Methodist. I have also spent years not attending church, but still praying, reading the Bible, being in a personal relationship with God. The commonality that I feel with a person spiritually has to do with how they relate to Christ, not where they attend, or do not attend church.
 Christian seeks Christian
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:15:02 PM
There are apprx 2000 sects of religion, in christianity, other could mean interdisciplinary or a sect not listed. True religion is united internally, it is only the world that reports on separation and division in religion.
 sparda9
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/29/2007 1:55:08 AM
I'm guessing it means that they believe in Christ or the Bible, but they don't conform to any particular denomination or dogma.
 Wolfie65
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:54:52 AM
On dating sites, 'Christian - Other' almost always means 'Russian Orthodox'.......
 Thundershowers
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/29/2007 10:08:26 PM
Christian - other includes:

Messianic
Denominational Spectrum: Menonites, Lutherans, Baptist, Pentecostals, any born-again Christian
Mormons
Jehovah's Witnesses
Seventh Day Adventists
 Calisparkle
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 12:50:42 AM
I have Christian-other on my profile. This is what it means to me:

I consider myself a Christian, as does Oprah Winfrey and did Ernest Holmes (Science of Mind). I spent most of my life as a Lutheran, but now attend a Religious Science church which could be summed up in Jesus's words that say As you believe so shall it be, that heaven is within us (isn't hell, also?), and The Secret. People of different religions attend Religious Science churches and all are welcomed and respected. I live my life the same as I always have, but my beliefs beyond my own life and behavior are different. I believe in Jesus, but not as most "Christians" do. Biblical writers and those who put together the Bible (included books in, left books out, changed text) interpret things one way, others a different way.

I'm very open-minded regarding religion these days (boy, and i never thought i would be) and believe there are many paths to God. There are many paths presented to us here to follow. I have my own beliefs, but would never put down another's. We are all connected and part of God.

:) Cali
 Seekshallfind
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/1/2007 11:24:34 AM
Christian-other means to me: That my church is not on the list. If Seventh Day Adventist would be on there, I would change it on my profile. This is the why I chose Christian-other.
 Thundershowers
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/1/2007 1:25:21 PM

Gehenna was a place where trash was burned, so the idea of Hell came from that.

True. It was a garbage dump in the Roman Empire that burned all day and all night. That was one of the ways that hell was described referring to this.

Also, fire, in the biblical days of the ancient empires, was not a symbol of destruction but a symbol of purification.
 bverde84
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 6:03:02 PM
On the subject of hell, does Jesus ever discuss HELL by name? Is hell strictly a new testament concept or can solid references be found in the OT as well?
 designingwoman
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 6:48:38 PM
To the poster who mentioned someone being possessed by the Evil One:

That person was in all likelihood mentally ill. In biblical times they did not understand things like schizophrenia and other psychiatric illnesses, so they considered the person "possessed."

Adding an interesting note about Hell: Pope John Paul II did indicate the existence of a "Hell" or underworld, but that it was likely empty because of God's mercy. I remember something about it being emptied out at the time Jesus died on the cross for us. I thought that was an interesting way to look at it, and a possibility. I do not believe in a God who would condemn His Creation to all eternity. IF there's a Hell it's just a barren, empty underworld with nothing in it--it's not something to get overly concerned about.
 Gemsong
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/1/2007 8:37:29 PM
to me it means non-denominational. I grew up baptist, but it was a little slow (dare I saw boring?) to me. I now go to a foursquare church, although I don't consider myself foursquare/pentecostal I enjoy the higher energy than my baptist church was. I guess I'm middle of the road.. I am a Jesus follower.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/2/2007 3:24:09 AM
Usually means evangelical christian with an attitude problem if the forums are any indicator.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what does "christian - other" mean to YOU?