Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what does "christian - other" mean to YOU?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IQChristian
Msg: 76
view profile
History
what does christian - other mean to YOU?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
lol Charles.
Except... I always thought evangelical implied an attitude problem from the getgo.
:)
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 77
what does christian - other mean to YOU?
Posted: 7/2/2007 6:45:51 AM
Christian-other....
I checked that one for my love of Christ, not a love of organized religion and a building.
† † †
 wayz
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/2/2007 9:15:45 AM
You are right about Gehenna being the place where the rubbish was burned, and Hell is just a modern day romantic notion of what happens after death. But, there is the judgement for all and the lake of fire for non believers as stated in Revelation.

How can you say you believe God created us and then say there is no devil? Lucifer, the angel of light AKA the day star, is one of Gods creations who exercised his free will in attempting what might be called a palace coup.

The bible guy ( Moses? ) didn't say gays are an abomination he said that the homosexual act was. So is muder. Christ's teaching is to hate the sin and love the sinner. There's nothing wrong with gays as people, the onus is on each of us not to sin. We can't help it so we all need Jesus in there pitching for us.

I agree completely that man's (generic) destiny is to return to God and be one with God.

Christian other means to me that the person who designed this site listed only some denominations so all others get lumped together, while, for instance, muslims are not devided by sect
 Quest for Love
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/3/2007 10:33:10 PM
it means they are agnostic and/or are not affiliated with a mega church

they believe jesus is god but they don't buy into what the preachers say and don't want to hang with the sheep....who usually aren't too bright. agnostics don't think they owe it to false preachers/teachers to be compliant to their false teachings.

it could also mean they started their own religion. we have lots of those today.
 wayz
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/4/2007 8:30:13 AM
An agnostic neither believes nor dis believes the existence of God. They believe only in what can be measured, weighed ie the material world.

To believe Jesus is God makes one a Christian whatever sect/denomination one might choose to follow to express that belief
 bullfr0gprince
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/8/2007 4:20:44 AM
I put christian-other because Ive accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour but I dont affiliate w/ any denomination at the moment.
I was raised in a very traditional, conservative church. The older I got the more I noticed that alot of what was held as biblically cannon wasnt at all, just alot of customs pasted down that made members feel good. And you'd be "sinning" if you disagreed w/ said customs. I dont thing worship should be raw emotion either though. I dunno...
Jesus broke bread w/ sinners all throughout the NT. It was the religious leaders he butted heads w/.
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:32:07 AM
Christian other simply is a non catholic believing Christian. While they believe in God, the reject the belief of one universal catholic church and often are very much against the hierarchy of the catholic church. I am a Christian, but I do have very strong roots in the catholic church while being educated in my faith in a non denom church. I put Christian other because for one, it seems more inclusive, and two, there are many Christians out there WHO DONT HATE CATHOLICS OR HATE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH PER SE but wouldnt really look at me and my profile the same way as they would another Christian other person. Many Christians have the wrong idea about the catholic church but I will continue to be a closest catholic until there is some sort of reconciliation.
 late™
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:46:09 AM
Meh!

This topic AGAIN, and I'll explain it AGAIN.

Guess what it means?

Christian other than what is specified in the drop-down menu.

So, if that's not what it means to you, ...then you just don't "get" what "other" means in a drop-down menu here.
 godlymiss
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:42:07 PM
There was no other choice as Christian on the POF site and I am a "BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN" and I wish I had found a better definition but this is not that kind of site.....At least we are all children of God working out our salvation and this site has many Christians who have fallen from the Faith but hold on to their title..God Bless them..I hope I can be a witness for the Almighty Thanks and I am not unstable...Godlymiss
 themadfiddler
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/8/2007 1:51:13 PM
For Christian choices they have the following:

Catholic
Anglican
Baptist
Lutheran
Presbyterian
Methodist

and Christian - Other

I guess if you are Pentecostal or some version of Charismatic evangelical not listed in the above, you could select "Other".

As late put it, this is what is meant by "other" - not one of the ones shown? Pick "other"

If they listed every sub-sub-denomination, and then did so for every other faith we would be here for ages. I suppose they could just have a seperate blank that one filled in themselves...that could produce some funny results...I can see it now.

*Harp cascade into "flash forward"*

Christian, Real. (Not like the other ones, they are all Hell-bound phonies.)

Christian, More Real, No-returnsies, Washed-In-The-Blood, No-Jinxies!

Pentecostal, One handed air pushups

Pentecostal, Two handed air pushups, tongues, shakin' and dancin'

Jesus Camper

Snake Handler

Unitarian Universalist

Freethinking Secular Humanist/Spawn of Satan...well they're the same thing aren't they???

Jedi, Reformed

Jedi, Conservative

Sith

Pastafarian (RAmen)

IPU - Invisible Pink Unicorn

Discordian

Church of the Subgenius

I'm sure someone else could get some more comedy mileage out of this if they really tried...I'm good for now
 januaryrain
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/8/2007 2:24:05 PM
I picked Christian other because I believe in Jesus Christ, the son of God, but am not attending any church at the moment.
 designingwoman
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2007 7:25:40 PM
How about UFO Believers for Christ
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/10/2007 1:32:17 PM
Charasmatic , Non-Denom, AOG were not on the list.

I went with a 'close aproximation'
 Waltraute
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/10/2007 8:36:44 PM
HOLY CRAP!
That was AWESOME! Madfiddler!
I think I'm going to convert to Pastafarianism
Anno Macaronio
 **Rapunzel**
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/12/2007 7:40:54 AM

For me, I felt this was the best choice to pick, since there is nothing I see
that was close to nondenominational Christian.

I picked it for basically the same reason.... I am Protestant, but that wasn't an option. Actually, I would prefer there was a "Christian, but not religious" choice. People confuse the 2 and yes I do believe in Christ and attend church BUT am not a religious fanatic. Religion is man made and it was the religious people that crucified Christ.

I often wonder what "other religion" means.... especially since "New-age" and "Buddist" along with several other religions are listed in your choice.
 wayz
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/12/2007 8:40:56 AM
Christian other seems a second best choice. Some denominations are named and some aren't. Are the ones not honoured with a mention of any less deserving of a mention? Muslims, Hindu's, Buddhists are not seperated by sect. You either are or aren't one - period.
Perhaps they could alter it to Christian, practicing/non practicing or just plain old Christian
 themadfiddler
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/12/2007 10:37:11 AM

"Christian, but not religious" choice. People confuse the 2 and yes I do believe in Christ and attend church BUT am not a religious fanatic. Religion is man made and it was the religious people that crucified Christ.

Uh no. That would be the ROMANS. The Romans - as in government of - are the ones who crucified Jesus...so the story goes.

As far as this site is concerned, like the dictionary, Christianity and all who follow it are practicing a "religion". If you want to call it a "personal relationship" or some other such thing, you can call it whatever you want. An anthropologist, an expert on theology or the dictionary or frankly anyone else except a very small group of people with a silly agenda will all look at you, point and say - yep, it's a religion.

There is no confusion at all, just a use of weasel words by people to try and get to frame their beliefs in an exclusive way as somehow being better or different by saying as you did above "religion is man made, but my relationship with the Lord is him reaching out to Love me" when in fact it's just another religion...no better, no worse than any other. You may "feel" that you have a better or more special relationship than someone else to God. I hate to break it to you though...that's just your ego talking.

I can't speak for the site's designer, but I can surmise that based on the predominance of Christians in the North American culture, he simply added many more varieties of Christian than other choices. You should feel lucky to have that many. But really, the rest of this nitpicking is starting to border on the tiresome.

You can call yourself what you like. As far as the rest of the world, the dictionaries, encyclopedias, secular scholarship, et. al. ad nauseum are concerned...you're a religion. Get over yourselves.
 Genuine Hope
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2007 5:56:20 AM
Me personally? It means non-denominational... evangelical... Bible-based (and not blindly following a belief system [or click] because it has a familiar title posted on the outside of a/the building.

But, it also means many things to many people. I have seen where people who are very Christian/Biblically-based and SPIRITUAL put down "non-religious!" I think this is the case since they do not follow the "religious dogma" that many religious people do. LOL...you'd think "non-religious" would be more for the atheist or agnostic, but this is not necessarily the case!

Unfortunately, "the church" has hurt a great deal of people in the name of Christianity (the judgmental, the hippocrits, the pedophils...etc). There are many Christ-loving individuals who stay away from "church" because of it. These people also will list "Christian-other." In my opinion, these people are still considered "the church." Because the church is not a denomination or a building, but believers in the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Ultimately, since RELIGION and SPIRITUALITY are two totally separate things, there will always be "other" as an option, at least in people's minds. Also, since a church is a hospital for "sick sinners," no group of believers, or denomination, or "church" will ever be perfect. Personally, I just had to find the group of believers who followed the Word, seeking His will for their lives and not their own.

"Christian - other" really means almost anything when reading other people's profiles. I have learned to not put a lot of faith in that information... it's really pretty useless actually.

~Ann
 somerandomperson
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/13/2007 12:17:23 PM
Not a damm thing, the only thing that christian or christian other means is a title that somebody looks at.
 rock4christ
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/13/2007 8:35:47 PM
For me it came down to this. I believe in Christ. Non of the other classifications of Christians fit me. So therefore, by default I am Christian - Other.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/13/2007 10:10:55 PM
^ Give this man the prize, we have a winnnnah!
 peter12213
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/13/2007 11:17:39 PM
It all depends what the definition of "Christian" is. The term has been redefined many times throughout the history, so one needs to select the particular definition he or she intends to use. Without that option the term is meaningless. Is a Christian the one who subscribes to the so-called apostolic creeds? Oh, most of them fall into this category. But what about those who reject the creeds? Well, those who hold to the creeds declare them as apostates, but apostates from what? From the creeds, of course. However, when we look into the history of Christianity we find that the early centuries were very turbulent and many of the beliefs, the creeds tried to fix later, were very heavily contested and not believed by many. Wow!

So we have the Greeks coming up with the creeds and hijacking the definition of who the Christian is, but that definition was quite ambiguous in the second century with no checklist churches ask you today to subscribe to.

For this reason I hesitated whether to use "Christian - Other" or simply "Other". Perhaps the latter is less misleading due to the term "Christian" having been tainted over the last two millennium.

Just my two cents.

For more info you may want to check the site I maintain:
http://www.zworld.com.au
 rock4christ
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:07:55 PM
Don't worry Peter. None of us were around in the second century - so we won't confuse our impression of you if you do want to admit that Jesus is the man.
 peter12213
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:38:45 PM
There is no need to be around to determine a historical event. You have other tools that history uses, such as various ancient writings, archeology, language, customs, culture, etc.

If I was a zealous evangelical or fundamentalist, or perhaps belong to other traditional form of Christianity that claims historical roots, I would try to trace the line of my church doctrine back to the dawn of Christianity and say "Have I not proven that we are the good guys?". However, such investigation will be biased. One needs to conduct the investigation with the intention that he will accept the result no matter what that is.

What does it mean "Jesus is the man"? You see, this statement that can mean many things. To me he was a Jewish rabbi who initiated a reform version of Judaism, not a brand new religion - that was the work of the Greeks. So no, I do not subscribe to the creeds and reject the idea that the Greeks retained the faith in its original form. In their hands it changed to something wildly different which is beyond recognition.
 peter12213
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:43:13 PM

The bible guy ( Moses? ) didn't say gays are an abomination he said that the homosexual act was. So is muder. Christ's teaching is to hate the sin and love the sinner. There's nothing wrong with gays as people, the onus is on each of us not to sin. We can't help it so we all need Jesus in there pitching for us.

Do you mean we can't help having sex with our mothers or murdering people? What is it in the law of God that cannot be done if people really want to obey it? Or are we looking for excuses why not to obey?

I would say people don't want to, rather than people can't help it.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what does "christian - other" mean to YOU?