Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > I watched the Israeli / US Media video      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Open_Book
Msg: 51
I watched the Israeli / US Media videoPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Who do you honestly feel would be most likely to leave you be, regardless of their opinion of your life style or religion?

I had to add a category just for you.

If those are your first two, "both", answers, then that's just a sad reflection of the people you've asked, and the media problem discussed in the film. You can put me in the both category, too.

Reality

Domestic terrorism in the US, by main 3 religious terror groups...

Jewish Defense League: Responsible for 73 acts of terrorism, on US soil.

Christian Identity: Estimated 25,000 to 50,000 members; Responsible for Oklahoma City bombing, as well as abortion clinic bombings, and various other hate crimes. Ties to various Southern border militias.

Al Qaeda: Incidents 1.....with a catch...the FBI says there's not enough evidence to implicate Osama, Al Qaeda's leader, in 9/11.

Peace
 Gian gomeze
Msg: 52
I watched the Israeli / US Media video
Posted: 8/11/2006 5:34:03 AM
Oh my god,cant beleive this truth.
 madfidlr
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/16/2006 10:30:01 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7828123714384920696

Peace, Propaganda & The Promised Land

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428959/

This is a documentary produced in 2004 by Sut Jhally and Bathsheba Ratzkoff

Now it has been showing up a lot in the highly polarized discussions about the current conflict between the Israelis and Hezbollah, and probably has been referenced a lot in discussions about Israel and Palestine. While participating in these discussions at the PoF forums, I finally took the time to watch it last night and decided to begin a review and discussion thread. And then Late stopped me, pointed out this thread and I felt like a tool and cut and pasted it over here... so here it goes with a few modifications.

Prior to watching the film however, I had also listened to a lecture by American Jewish educator Rabbi Tovia Singer that offered a counter point to this film on Anti-Israel Bias in the media. The free lecture is available in mp3 at www.outreachjudaism.org. Now he makes no effort to hide his bias - something I might not say of the filmmakers of PP&TPL, and it is an audio lecture that lacks the impact and production values of the film which is edited slickly with matching audio. That said, it has many examples which did seem rather striking when viewed in contrast to this film.

Others may offer a different point of view, but I for one felt jerked around. I felt very much like I did after watching a Michael Moore film...where the end justifies the spin. In that respect I have to give the Rabbi the credit because he at least does not hide his bias...but the film cites groups like CAMERA for using intimidation against journalists to change their stories to make Israel appear more favourable, then themselves use loaded language, potentially out of context material (seeing the one sided nature of the speakers I no longer felt comfortable with the rest of the material) and VERY one sided speakers to convey their central message. There was no counterpoint offered...it seemed to be suggesting that only an inhuman beast would side with Israel...or that the only choice was to side with their position...that no alternative was possible because the other side was completely lying to you from the get go.

The speakers did not ever condone the violence used by suicide bombers but they could still understand it...it smacked of a moral equivalency that was rotten to the core. Either all of the violence is appalling or it isn't. The ultimate spin for me was having listened to the Rabbi's point about the use of Jewish speakers from the far left of center to represent moderates...a kind of sock puppeting if you will...so that if you DARED criticize them for anti-Semitism, or called them self-hating Jews, you would appear absurd. Who should appear in the film but the very polarized examples from the left like The Village Voice, Michael Lerner from tikkun magazine and Noam Chomsky.

Whatever worth Chomsky might have as a professor of linguistics, he became a poisoned well for me when he met with Hezbollah in May of this year...any academic distance that he should have kept from the issue was quite gone...I acknowledge his expertise on linguistics extends to communications and peripherally to how this effects media. It is a stretch to make him an expert in political science or foreign policy. Now a man's politics should not affect his arguments...but meeting with Hezbollah...well I guess that's all up to you and how you feel about Hezbollah, guerilla warfare and the State of Israel. I do not think it is an ad hominem to suggest that your credibility(or at least impartiality) on this issue is affected if you are meeting with and publically issuing your support for an organization that has declared a desire to destroy Israel. Apparently this story vanished from the mainstream media. In any case I do not find myself holding him in any great regard.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=20532&only

Yet it was with a certain irony that I listened to the dehumanization of Jews on NPR in America and the BBC that equalled any of the dehumanization of the Palestinians on the mainstream American networks. The same loaded language that PP&TPL levels at the American mainstream media was being used by paragons of the left! What was I to make of this?

As I read through the polarized reviews at imdb now (feel free to read them yourself), I can see why there is such divergence. The very history of the region from the pre-19th century is in dispute...the origins of the Palestinian people, what it means to have land ownership, how many generations it takes to become indigenous...Why for instance was Yasser Arafat, born in Egypt, one of the founders of the PLO, more a Palestinian than Ariel Sharon, born in Kfar Malal in British Mandated Palestine...by the end I felt the need to see history with as few of the partisan filters removed as possible and I didn't feel like I was getting it from this film.

I felt like I was getting seething mounds of bullshit being tossed at me by both sides in this debate.

Now for the record, I am not in favour of the settlements. I think Israel should pull back to the pre-1967 borders pulling out entirely from Gaza and the West Bank and East Jerusalem and that a Free Palestinian state should be established with access to resources and free access to Jerusalem. This should be done with the assistance of the UN, USA, Britain, and the surrounding Arab neighbour states if necessary...after all they helped create this disaster.

I find myself generally in agreement with Late, and for about 10 minutes near the end of PP&TPL they were on my wavelength. There is an element in the extreme right military industrial complex that also represents a connection to fundamentalist Christian views and extremist Orthodox Jews...On the one side. On the other we have complicit soft and hard despotic Arab states that have ignored the people of Palestine, the governments, gangs and terrorist groups including the PLO that did not make a concerted effort to actually get a state in a political sense through the UN until very recently via democratic methods and have instead focussed on the destruction of Israel as an entity. Follow the money indeed...very little of it has benefitted the people no matter what side it has come from...this much reminds me all too much of aid directed to the gangland style tyrannical states in Africa where the people suffer and the goods go to weapons bought on the black market.

The end result of this film was that I felt manipulated from the get go and that the producers of this film were using the very techniques and language that the accuse their opponants of. This is just my opinion, and not being an analyst or having more background on the film, nor inclination to pursue it, or the so-called "debunking" article - others may wish to do so - I cannot verify with references these feelings and observations. They remain my opinions as a viewer of the film and suppositions...nothing more.

*** last minute edition *** while scanning I noted some bloggers contributions to the supposedly unbiased state funded BBC's spin on the news...for what it is worth

http://drinkingfromhome.blogspot.com/2006/08/orla-guerin-busted.html
http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/
 metrosexual
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/16/2006 11:13:56 PM
having traveled through the middle east, going to a school mainly populated by Jewish students, i learned 1 thing as our musician friend has shown. People are generally good. it the powers above that pull strings and hit our most sensitivespots.

the conflict is about land not religion. but put a religious twist to it and it gets more heat.
Ask arab christians from palestian and lebanon. they aren't in favour of the occupation and illegal settlements.

Keep in mind during muslim rule that the entire region allowed safe passage and to the holy sites for those of all faiths. so to the gentleman stating living under islamic rule wouldbe negative etc. I think u need to live in some of these countries.
visit Syria the bazaars, jordan, Egypt the emirates even Iran. ( i would add palestine but not much left after the constant bull dozing and beirut after the bombing) People who visit these countries come back with a love of the countries, cultures and the People especially.

growing up in the 70s and 80s i remembe the enemy was the russians and their nuclear powers and so called sophisticated weaponary.

Now its the middle east. I just find it hard to believe, especially coming from all these one sided media sources.

On a side note its nice to see Canadians are still Canadians. not Americans yet. Canadians are always open minded and look at both sides. Americans are so blinded by CNN and Fox. and dont bother to get information like most canadians do. They are all glued to their sports and sitcoms and dont realise their tax dollars are being spent on wars.
I am muslim. but i am born here and would never choose to live anywhere other than this great country of ours. And i cant wait to see harper out of office ASAP
 rks58
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/17/2006 12:02:13 AM

Now he makes no effort to hide his bias - something I might not say of the filmmakers of PP&TPL

I would have to disagree with you on that. I didn't see that the film was making any effort to hide the one-sided element of their argument.

I also don't believe they made any concerted effort to say "this is the real truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". I felt that it was clear that they were presenting only the other side of the argument, they knew that and weren't hiding it.

The clear sense I got was the message "this is the side you don't see in the mainstream western (particularly US) media" and "this is why we think that is happening". Even if you don't accept their premise of "why" this other side isn't seen in equal proportion the truth of the fact that it is under-reported it is undeniable.

Even looking at it as "the opposite bias" should lead anyone who prefers reason and logic to the conclusion that neither view is the total, unadulterated truth but the truth IS somewhere in the middle and that means, however you look at it, that neither side is "righteous" and "evil" is "evil" no matter who commits it.

Now this is just my opinion, however I do believe it is based on accurate observation, but very few of the posters who argue the Palestinian side of the equation are taking the perspective that some of the pro-Palestinians are doing nothing to exascerbate the problem and they are 100% justified. The majority of the posts that argue the Palestinian side appear (to me at least) to take the tone of "but what about.." (as in, "the blame has to be shared because it's not all the Palestinians doing").

I do however see exactly that argument (as in it's all the fault of one side) from most who argue the Israeli perspective (and there is an unsettling tendency to replace Palestinian and pro-Palestinian with Muslim, Islamic or Islamo-fascist which totally ignores the fundamental issues).

That intransigence (of accapting shared responsibility) is the primary reason, in my opinion, that the Israel/Palestine threads become so polarized. You can only say "Yes, but what about..." so many times before the "what about..." begins to dominant theme of the argument as it appears as though the "Yes" is all that is heard and the "what about..." has to be reiterated.

I firmly believe that is primarily due to the one-sided reporting in N.A. (and the US in particular) and that for many, to accept that they are being manipulated by those they think they should be able to trust, is too large a challenge to take up.

By one of my favourite quotes:
Most will refuse reason for the warm comfort of their ignorance
 late™
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/17/2006 1:04:29 AM

Even looking at it as "the opposite bias" should lead anyone who prefers reason and logic to the conclusion that neither view is the total, unadulterated truth but the truth IS somewhere in the middle and that means, however you look at it, that neither side is "righteous" and "evil" is "evil" no matter who commits it.

In the very least it should raise doubts that would lead one to dig deeper.

I do however see exactly that argument (as in it's all the fault of one side) from most who argue the Israeli perspective (and there is an unsettling tendency to replace Palestinian and pro-Palestinian with Muslim, Islamic or Islamo-fascist which totally ignores the fundamental issues).

One has to be blind not to notice this.

That intransigence (of accapting shared responsibility) is the primary reason, in my opinion, that the Israel/Palestine threads become so polarized. You can only say "Yes, but what about..." so many times before the "what about..." begins to dominant theme of the argument as it appears as though the "Yes" is all that is heard and the "what about..." has to be reiterated.

There seems to be a complete absence of "what about", it's telling that some are so commited to the demonization of the "other side" that they won't even acknowledge that there IS another "side" to the issue.

I firmly believe that is primarily due to the one-sided reporting in N.A. (and the US in particular) and that for many, to accept that they are being manipulated by those they think they should be able to trust, is too large a challenge to take up.

I have found that I can get a much better balanced view from the Israeli press, and many of the Israelis themselves, than is found in mainstream US media, this for me confirms what the film is trying to convey.

One thing that polarization tends to serve is the many facets of causality of this insanity found in the west.

Ignore the film for a second, ...Google "AIPAC".

One has to wonder how the US would have dealt with all of the duplicity this bunch has been caught at, ...if the organization was the "other side"?
 madfidlr
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/17/2006 1:43:22 PM
I think one of the things that bothered me was the implication that since mainstream American media sources were all potentially corrupted that the only ones that were trustworthy were what the film suggested were free media - left wing... foreign media...or state run media outlets that should be monitored and therefore less prone to bias...perhaps I am overstating it and the comparison was stronger in my mind as a result of having listened to the contrasting lecture...I grant this may well have been the case.

Well having seen plenty of examples of bias in the CBC, NPR and BBC, enough that regular complaints have gone to the CBC ombudsman and the Beeb's board of governors...and observing the blatant manufacturing of news in that one bloggers analysis of the BBC reporter I can put that fear to rest. And I think you would be hard pressed to find unbiased media accounts of the middle east anywhere at the moment. I won't even get into talking about how the European media generally views Israel. Israeli media are, surprisingly as has been noted, far more likely to be openly critical than US sources...so long as it is unbiased and honest though...that is the question.

Yes I will follow the money, but I will ask myself, who is pulling the strings on all the sides of the equation and I will be quick to look for puppeteers with hands up bottoms on all of the players now...because it is readily apparant to me that left or right, the media have become a 24/7 revue of "Spitting Image" back from the grave.

Just for the sake of curiousity everyone should take Late's advice and Google AIPAC. It reminds me of something Rabbi Singer said...North America, especially Christian North America is OBSESSED with Israel. Maybe even it is World Christendom. There can be wars, typhoons, famines, explosions...but someone throws a rock in a street in Jerusalem - BANG - front page - NY Times. AIPAC has hits left and right...everyone has their eyes on them for good or ill...from news organizations, to democracy organizations to anti-Semite whacknut websites like "jewwatch"...*shudder*.

It says something about us as a planet, does it not, that we are focussing in on a single culture, on a single tiny strip of desert land, over a feud over tribal god images, when we can barely feed the majority of our people and this is the focus of our attention. We are a desperately sick world if this is the case...

Reminds me of a Neil Peart lyric...

"Better the pride that survives in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colourful rag is unfurled."
 Open_Book
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/19/2006 8:54:38 AM
^^^ As I said in the other thread, opposing biases would be calling for open warfare against each other. Did you see that kind of bias, in this video? Do you see that kind of bias in "left wing" media?

Peace
 late™
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/19/2006 12:31:40 PM
http://twains_ghost.typepad.com/my_blog/2006/01/the_camera_neve.html

Another interesting take on CAMERA, and MEMRI.
 madfidlr
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/19/2006 1:06:29 PM

As I said in the other thread, opposing biases would be calling for open warfare against each other. Did you see that kind of bias, in this video? Do you see that kind of bias in "left wing" media?

I'm not quite sure what you mean...I don't quite follow the example... but when I say bias I mean in the sense that both left and right media sources accuse the other of being biased and/or compromised, both seem to show valid examples of bias for one reason or the other.
I have a thought where you might be going but I don't want to second guess you because I am not sure and don't want to make an azz out of me and Umption.
 Open_Book
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/19/2006 3:48:27 PM
The opposing extremes would be calling for each others destruction.

"right wing" media openly supports Israel's violence and calls for death and destruction upon Hezbollah.

Does "left-wing" media openly support Hezbollah's violence and call for death and destruction upon the IDF and Israeli government?

Or, is "left-wing" media actually a centrist viewpoint...pointing out (to a target audience they believe have been influenced by "right-wing" media) that Israel has also commited many wrongdoings? With regards to violence, and continuing the cycle of violence, doesn't the "left-wing" media actually take a centrist viewpoint...calling for cease-fire and honest negotiations, all round?

Peace
 late™
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/19/2006 7:15:24 PM
One side calls for war and destruction against a perceived "cause" of the problem. (Right)

The other side points out, ...that IS the cause of the problem in the first place. (Center)

Stop fixing blame - FIX PROBLEM!

Yep, ...I'm hip to that tune, o.b.

It makes a cooool Venn diagram too, ...if you can dig that.
 rks58
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/20/2006 4:13:21 AM
Here is a little question about media spin and how the Israeli situation is being portrayed by Israel and the US media (and hopefully this isn't exactly off topic)

the background first:

Israel justifies it's continued occupation of Palestinian land be citing the terrorist attacks against Israel by Palestinians and their supporters.

Now the question:

Based on your impression from the media reports, what percentage of these incidents occur in occupied Palestinian lands and what percentage occur in Israel?

What would you say was the average number of terrorist incidents in Israel annually from 1968-2000?
 cotter
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2006 10:19:14 AM
The opposing extremes would be calling for each others destruction.
This part I can agree on.

"right wing" media openly supports Israel's violence and calls for death and destruction upon Hezbollah.
While I can agree with you on this ... the extended thought/concern is:
When the "right wing" is through with the destruction of Hezbollah ... who will be next? Iran? Syria?

Does "left-wing" media openly support Hezbollah's violence and call for death and destruction upon the IDF and Israeli government?

Or, is "left-wing" media actually a centrist viewpoint...pointing out (to a target audience they believe have been influenced by "right-wing" media) that Israel has also commited many wrongdoings? With regards to violence, and continuing the cycle of violence, doesn't the "left-wing" media actually take a centrist viewpoint...calling for cease-fire and honest negotiations, all round?
This is the way I also view the "left wing" approach and want to add ...

... it appears none of those who are supportive of Hezbollah (in it's present status of not wanting to annihilate Israel) are calling for any type of "killings" in any way whereas even the "right wing" (not-so-extreme) are still calling for death and destruction of Hezbollah followers.
 OnGreenDolphinStreet
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2007 4:23:35 PM
Cotter, you ask very strange questions that make me wonder if you really understand the situation or the motives of the forces involved.

Why are you so concerend anyway, are you a Hizballah follower yourself? ;)

Whether Israel deliberately targets civilians is debateable, why is it debateable? Because they write it off as unavoidable collateral damage or accidents.
You can either agree or disagree, but there is doubt hence room for debate.

However, when you fire rockets into a country, without aiming, without targets, and without warning then you're targetting civilian population without discrimination deliberately. When you blow up a bomb on a CIVILIAN bus from which no one has wronged you -- you are without a shred of doubt targeting civilians deliberately.

Unlike the former, this one is not debateable because there's no doubt that you would hit a civilian population (that hasn't done you harm in any way). Moreover, the apparent reasoning behind it is to get even on the death toll, and that's according to them.

If you support that just say so and i'll withdraw any further arguments.

Now why the hell would Israel go after Iran or Syria? for the hell of it?

Israel isn't sitting on natural reserves of oil therefore it is hindered by common sense and economical thinking, unlike some of its neighbors.

There is nothing about war that benefits Israel in any way.
 Trewq36
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/13/2007 11:12:35 AM

There is nothing about war that benefits Israel in any way.

You might want to rethink that statement. War is ALWAYS abour Profit....Maybe only for a small group, but somebody always gets rich...

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
WAR is a racket. It always has been.
.....Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.

And perhaps your "thought" is based on bias media reports? (The point of the OP)
 OnGreenDolphinStreet
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2007 11:46:26 AM

You might want to rethink that statement. War is ALWAYS about Profit....Maybe only for a small group, but somebody always gets rich...

I'm sure someone does get rich but it's not the Israelis ;)
 Hoop
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/20/2007 2:30:37 PM
I did a search and decided to put this here because we have so many threads.

CNN touched on this tonight..

With Israel refusing to discuss the apparent airstrike that took place two weeks ago against the regime of Bashar Assad of Syria, observers have begun to hint that a major event may have occurred.

The apparent bombing run may have been akin to Israel's bombing of the Iraqi nuclear reactor at Osirak in 1981, if international media reports are to be believed.

For once, no one in the Israeli establishment is talking.

Based on government sources in the United States and elsewhere -- some of them named -- the reports suggest that on the night between Sept. 5 and Sept. 6, Israeli warplanes attacked a nuclear facility in northern Syria storing or processing nuclear materials provided by North Korea.

http://www.jewishexponent.com/article/14105/
 Trewq36
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/21/2007 8:56:58 AM
And just in the last week Israel and the US managed to block an Egyptian backed resolution to make the Middle East a Nuclear Free Zone.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/070920/world/iran_nuclear_politics_iaea_mideast&printer=1

The UN watchdog International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) adopted an Egyptian-sponsored resolution on a nuclear weapons-free-zone in the Middle East with Israel and the US voting against and EU states except Ireland abstaining.

The lack of consensus weakened the impact of the measure, at a general conference of the 144-nation IAEA.

The resolution was backed by 53 votes, with two against and 47 abstentions.

What's with that?
Something is going on over there that the Big Boys do not want us to know about. At least not just yet.
 Hoop
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:43:23 PM
Yep, knowing what is going on over there is one big blindspot.. unless you count what the media feeds us.
 ipfreak
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:16:38 PM

recognize that Israel HAS a right to exist, THOUGH IT DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMMIT WAR CRIMES

different topics and you mixed them together:

1) Israel HAS a right to exist. you agree, i certainly agree and almost everyone i met, as long as not muslim, also agree. but as far as i know, most of muslims, if not all of them, don't agree.
2) agree the second part in general, but how could you define this "war crime"? except those extreme cases, msot of situations aren't black and white, kinda fussy pictures.

peace, beautiful word, both sides want tit, but on whose term?

people tend to stand by with "weak side" and tend to ignore the more complicated details behind the tragedy.

one of muslims told me how jews stole jerusalem from them, emotionally. hmm, i was thinking, he just conveniently forgot to tell me who built the city, or he never learned or just didn't want to know.
 OnGreenDolphinStreet
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2007 5:35:54 PM
he probably never learned.
 jeffythepooh
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/11/2007 9:42:06 PM
I try going to this link
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7828123714384920696
and get the message video not available any ideas?
 Merc4aGoodCause
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/12/2007 1:02:11 AM
Where'd the video go? I tried to watch it but said it was unavailiable.
 NateC
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/12/2007 6:17:14 PM
Yeah, where'd it go? Not that I need to see it, I did a project on the subject in OAC. Pretty frightening stuff, when you read about what went on in the past (which was worse than what's happening now, actually).

Canada ran a peacekeeping mission there in the 60's, iirc, we left pretty quick because neither side gave a shit, and they had the nerve to shoot at our peacekeepers. If it weren' t for the amount of compassion I have for the innocents on both sides of the conflict, I'd say we should bulldoze the f***in' place and forget about it.

The worst of that legacy will die with Ariel Sharon, I think (if he hasn't died already), but the bad still remains because of Israel's fragmented government and it's idiotic attempt to hold the hard line. Same with palestine, though.

I hope we stop sending money to Israel though. Not just because it really is a terror state, but because it's also a 1st world nation. They don't need our money, and frankly, I don't think anybody should be given money because of their race. The holocaust ended 62 goddamned years ago. End of story. Apparently not for us Jews, not for Germany and not for the Palestinians - who had helped some of the Jews escape at that point in time.

Terrible, terrible thing that we've done, and even worse that the rest of the world allowed it.

Global village indeed.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > I watched the Israeli / US Media video