Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > unemployed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ScottishIain74
Msg: 201
unemployedPage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I think what needs to happen is for the government to remove many of the barriers to self employment that exist.

In particular rules and red tape that has to be complied with and the complexity of the tax system. For example there are a number of tax deductable expenses I don't bother to claim because of the hassle of properly accounting for them.

There are many things that people could do to make £60 a week instead of claiming jobseekers allowance - cutting lawns, washing cars, etc. If I had a lawn I'd happily pay someone £10 to mow it once a month. 6 lawns thats the same as JSA and how long would it take to do for average size gardens? 3 hours?

In the present economy the government and employment services ought to be bending over backwards to get people setting up small businesses that have minimal risk and low overheads. The proposed return of the enterprise allowance (the only good idea Thatcher had) is a start but much more is needed, especially to help people with things like marketing. Sales is the one thing most new businesses struggle with most (and the most common cause of business failure) but the role of developing sales competence is left to private sales trainers/consultants who are taking the p*** with the fees they charge (I've seen upwards of £500 a half-day quoted).
 Nutty_Bat
Msg: 202
unemployed
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:01:49 AM
There are many things that people could do to make £60 a week instead of claiming jobseekers allowance - cutting lawns, washing cars, etc. If I had a lawn I'd happily pay someone £10 to mow it once a month. 6 lawns thats the same as JSA and how long would it take to do for average size gardens? 3 hours?

Oh how some people overloook things , even if people go out and earn 60per week they still claim benefits , even though they are not classed as jobseekers they are still entitled to benefits such as council tax and housing benefit , so basically they are still costing the taxpayer ,your theory does not really work , what about in the winter when gardens cant be mowed ? washing cars lmao who will pay £10 for someone to wash their car when its cheaper to wash it yourself ,Right now the government has invested in a new back to work programme called ingeous, people will be made to attend this programme or benefits will be stopped , and guess what ,, you attend and all they do is ask what you have been doing in looking for work , make sure your CV is up to date , and thats about it ,,,they do exactly what the jobcentre does ,so as to why invest cash into something thats not helping the unemployed as they are not doing anything other than ask them a few questions when they go there ..When that cash would have been better spent in training programmes.Surely is better to spend the cash training the unemployed and gaining a qualification to help them get the jobs advertised ,,,,
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 203
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:35:07 PM
i wouldnt mind being unemployed . i recently had three weeks off and was stress free / happy / smiley , now i know why unemployed people are so happy .... no stress ... bliss
 AlmostNormal666
Msg: 204
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:44:05 PM
now i know why unemployed people are so happy .... no stress ... bliss

Do you actually believe that ?
If so then your intelligence is well below average , this month alone i have had to do counselling to at least 30 people who have lost their jobs and are on the verge of comitting suicide , because of the stress it had put on them , the stress of losing their homes amongst other things .
Would you class that as happy?
You have no idea what some are going through .
The young 21 yr old who committed suicide last month , would you say she was happy .
 Lorri55
Msg: 205
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:45:53 PM
There is a huge difference between being on paid annual leave or paid sick leave and being unemployed.
I interview Housing Benefit claimants every day and have spoken to so many seriously ill/depressed/lonely/suicidal people........that's in amongst a lot of lazy/demotivated and happy- to- take -what -they- can -get -folk
No, as a hard worker I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who didn't work.
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 206
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:55:17 PM
you say that normal , but some off the people who i pass on my way to work in the morning , who obviously are unemployed seem very happy to me , as they are on the scrouge for my change , which i " work " for , to go and buy their bottle of wine , or the single mums that wonder around the shops all day at their leisure , where are they getting there money from to buy their fashionable clothes , while the rest of us slog out the day . just a couple of examples . EDIT ..... vvvvvvvv i used to work in a fashion store , so yes i used to see them wonder around , spending £200 a time on clothes i couldnt afford even tho i worked full time , long hours .
 AlmostNormal666
Msg: 207
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:01:35 PM

you say that normal , but some off the people who i pass on my way to work in the morning , who obviosly are unemployed seem very happy to me , and they are on the scrouge for my change , which i " work " for , to go and buy there bottle of wine , or the single mums that wonder around the shops all day at their leisure , where are they getting there money from to buy their fashionable clothes , while the rest of us slog out the day . just a couple of examples

How do you know the women you see in the shops are single mums , do they now carry a sign around their neck ? What makes you so sure that they are not in part time work ? How do you know they are in the shops all day ? do you sit and watch them .

i used to work in a fashion store , so yes i used to see them wonder around , spending £200 a time on clothes i couldnt afford even tho i worked full time , long hours

I see so because of that you persume they are jobless single mums ?
Even if they are what makes you so sure that they havent saved the money over a long period of time .
 *rem*
Msg: 208
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:06:07 PM
you say that normal , but some off the people who i pass on my way to work in the morning , who obviously are unemployed seem very happy to me , as they are on the scrouge for my change , which i " work " for , to go and buy their bottle of wine , or the single mums that wonder around the shops all day at their leisure , where are they getting there money from to buy their fashionable clothes , while the rest of us slog out the day

Dont see too many unemployed men doing that though.. You're more likely to see unemployed men robbing houses cars shops and lead from roofs and doorways because we dont get anywhere near as much as single mothers, and theres no way raising kids requires that much money..
Anyway you should be happy because im sure none of them are as "bella" as you.
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 209
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:14:06 PM
fair point they may have money saved , but often on opening store cards for people , which required information such as " are you employed " to which almost all of them answered no ... they were on benefets , made me abit mad , as retail is hard work and i was paying for them to buy their nice new clothes , vvvvvvv EDIT , it makes no difference if they were un employed or not , it makes no difference to santandar if someone is un employed / or a student , as long as they have money going into an account the store card will be accepted ...
 Lorri55
Msg: 210
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:16:10 PM
And if people are on benefits, why are you opening them a store card? They don't have enough income to enable them to make even a minimum payment!
 AlmostNormal666
Msg: 211
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:18:35 PM

but often on opening store cards for people , which required information such as " are you enployed " to which almost all of them answered no ... they were on benifets

And from that you can tell they are happy and have no stress ?

I will quote what you said

now i know why unemployed people are so happy .... no stress ... bliss
 Mephistone
Msg: 212
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:27:09 PM
I have a Sister who's unemployed, Judging by the daily crying phone calls I'd say she was anything but happy. She's working so da*n hard to get re-employed , trying everything trying to keep her morale up. I've got into the habit of just setting half an hour a day aside , so she can have a weep or a rant . After that , she's ready to go at it again.

She's about to lose her house too, in spite of being able to pay a certain Spanish bank 75% of the mortgage, they want her house, which has a lot of equity in it, off her and won't accept her offer, or allow her to extend the mortgage.

She worked hard for that house , and is so proud of what she's made it into. I won't even begin to describe how she lost her job in the first place.

I'd say she was anything but happy. She's also just hit 40 , which is the 'Logan's Run' for employment in the UK.

Still, as long as the Government want to concentrate on getting 17-24 year olds into jobs, and telling the 40+ to go whistle, you know, the ones with experience that make companies and employment , the economy will stay on it's knees.
 lightstar1
Msg: 213
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:29:20 PM
Msg 201 (starting your own business)-
As you rightly point out, there is no real encouragement for anyone to risk their time & money.

Government is totally not interested, the Tax renue raised by most small firms is a pittance when compared with M&S, Tesco or 'Philip, I should worry it's all down to the Missus, Green'

The enforcement/collection and admin cost on the Government side are simply astronomical for the amount generated.

I truly believe that there is an unstated ambition in Whitehall to drive small businesses out of our High Streets; larger firms can have revenue enforcement mandated at them, and simply employ 'accounts' or their Cayman Island Bank to sort the problem. One bloke in a small shop stands no chance.

There is no help out there, unless you want to allow thugs in suits to hold the rights over your family home - being a limited company still means personal underwriting - just the sort of thing that limitation was supposed to avoid.

My advice would be DONT even think about starting out on your own, they are using the business start up figures to cloud the numbers that are actually out of work - the whole thing is another Establishment con job.

SwanSpirit
Msg: 214
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:33:33 PM
Lulu being unemployed is horrendous, please don't ever think otherwise, because there may come a day when you are one of the numbers and it will be a massive shock to you.
 wahwahpedal
Msg: 215
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:49:41 PM
Being unemployed is horrendous, certainly for those that want to work and deeply feel the social stigma and personal loss of self esteem that entails and the detriment to their lives.

However, there are also a section of society that don't want to work, that are happy living off the rest of society. I think perhaps that distinction needs to be made?

Obviously, when someone presents themselves as "unemployed" when applying for something like a storecard, we can't really tell whether they belong to the former or latter group, and maybe Lulu's comment was naive in presuming they may be the latter. But lets not any of us pretend that we condone people who wilfully live of the rest of us.

And best of luck to those that do want to work in finding suitable and lasting employment.
 lulu1402
Msg: 216
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:50:31 PM
One of my friend has been out of work for a year ...she got a job in admin thurs . she was over the moon then tragically her 16 year old daughter died early hours of sat ..some how i do not think she could care less at the moment about a job
 AlmostNormal666
Msg: 217
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:57:30 PM

But lets not any of us pretend that we condone people who wilfully live of the rest of us.

I agree and that is why the person would have been better putting ""some who are unemployed"" instead of grouping them all the same . As just as they are people jobhunting day in and day out there is also people who just sit there reaping in the benefits .To class them all the same would be wrong .
 Sheslikeastar
Msg: 218
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 4:03:01 PM
I hate my job but after spending 6 months looking for a good job and getting nothing I took a part time job in a shop, it pays the bills and means I support myself. Plenty of jobs out their for people who really want to work, it might just not be in the chosen profession but sadly that's life. You might have a degree in Art but McDonalds need staff, do you wait for a job to open in an art gallery or do you flip burgers?
 *rem*
Msg: 219
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/21/2012 4:43:22 PM
Having a degree wont even get you a job in McDonalds. Being under 25 and willing to do what and when you're told with no prospects might. I started a thread about the same thing... would you employ you?
 sprite1950
Msg: 220
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 12:36:58 AM
I had to give up a job I loved to look after my granddaughter and at first I really hated it. I cried buckets. Admittedly things in my life were pretty bad on the family front but my work had kept me sane. Although Ive adjusted and made a new life for myself I definitely wouldnt say that being unemployed is bliss. For some who really want to work but cant find a job it makes them feel worthless. If things had not turned out the way they had I would still be working in the same job even though Im retired now.
 Sheslikeastar
Msg: 221
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:07:12 AM
That comes down to location. I know locally to me it is the same employers looking for staff over and over as certain jobs seem to be below some people.
Also don't agree with the under 25 and no prospects. Most Employers want someone with a bit of life experience and who can be relied upon. Not having to worry about them pulling a sicky every weekend as they are hungover.
Imho Employers look for enthusiasm and a willingness to work hard to get what you want.
 buzzga
Msg: 222
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:14:45 AM
I had a choice when my partner buggered off with someone else and left me with the 3 kids, keep my business and get childcare help or sell my business at a considerable loss and look after them myself, I chose the later and have not regretted it, i have owned a jewellers, bought and sold houses and an alfa romeo car sales business but will now settle for a part time crap job if need be, I feel richer now than i ever have, life is not all about money
 RobinsonMJ
Msg: 223
view profile
History
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:20:25 AM
I will only say one thing about this buzzga, and that is that working and having a job is good for self-esteem. Of course in your case it's counter-balanced by being able to look after your family, which must also be good for self-esteem!

Still, for me if I was unemployed and unable to buy my Amour dinner at a restaurant, for example, it would make me feel very miserable indeed. I expect she would be more put off by that than the fact I didn't have a job.
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 224
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:20:33 AM
I dont exactly love my job although I enjoy it!!
I couldnt survive if i was out of work...........I have rent to pay, bills to pay etc.............yes sometimes I barely have a pot to pi$$ in but I would sooner be doing any job than be sitting around.

I couldnt imagine anything more soul destroying than being unemployed and I feel for anyone lately who cant get a job I say cant as there are a minority who chose not to but they really are the minority.
If I want to buy anything I have to SAVE I just dont go shopping on a whim but maybe thats the way I was bought up to save for stuff..............you enjoy it more that way........
 buzzga
Msg: 225
unemployed
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:35:32 AM
to msg 23

you are right about self esteem and no one works harder than someone running their own business, i reckon this will have lost me over a quarter of a mill in the next few yrs but what price bringing up your children properly, also luckily i,ve never been materialistic the wheeler dealing is what i used to enjoy, i might try a bit of buying and selling from home and start something new lol
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > unemployed