Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Tiger Woods - Overhyped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 observer902
Msg: 51
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have one knock against Tiger, he swears too much when he makes a really bad shot. He has to learn to behave better, because the camera is always on him. He dropped a couple F-bombs yesterday.

You can't argue the fact he is the main draw in golf. Even when he was away they mentioned him during every tournament. I doubt yesterday's coverage would have preempted other programming if Tiger hadn't been in contention. Hell he may just be the answer to the financial crisis, didn't it start about the time he blew out his knee.....
 chocolate rob2oo9
Msg: 52
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 11:18:40 AM
AMEN, this past weekend the media did nothing but kiss his ass. I understand that he was out for a bit because of injury, But he was not setting the world on fire shoertly before his injury. So I figure he was due to finally win. But you would have thought Jesus came down from the heavens. Disgusting very much so overly hyped
 broncsbuff
Msg: 53
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 11:32:43 AM

Disgusting very much so overly hyped

If tiger was not on the tour, do you honestly think people would tune in to see VJ Singh and Phil Mickleson go at it?....NO...

they want to see Tiger three shots down going in to the final day and watch whoever he is paired with peeing there pants....

Tiger IS golf....plain and simple
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 54
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 11:53:09 AM

I have one knock against Tiger, he swears too much when he makes a really bad shot. He has to learn to behave better, because the camera is always on him. He dropped a couple F-bombs yesterday.

yeah like all our sports role models in baseball, football, basketball, hockey does so much better ...... give me a break, what a comment.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 55
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 11:59:52 AM

yeah like all our sports role models in baseball, football, basketball, hockey does so much better ...... give me a break, what a comment.

Athletes are not role models
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 56
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 12:20:06 PM
Athletes are not role models

Really? So all our young that want to be sports stars don't look up to them as heroes. They don't want to be like them and be cool like them and act like them. And make millions like them. Who's the role models in your book? Parents? Ministers? Teachers? Politicians? You tell me who you think role models are in the world we live in today.

And I will add there are many that go to college and work hard to be successful in life. But most of them (would consider boys more) that have a special team or player that they want to idolize.
 observer902
Msg: 57
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 12:20:53 PM
But he was not setting the world on fire shoertly before his injury.

No, I think he was 10 for his previous 14 , and won the US open on one leg. Ya he wasn't running on all cylinders....

Really? So all our young that want to be sports stars don't look up to them as heroes. They don't want to be like them and be cool like them and act like them. And make millions like them. Who's the role models in your book? Parents? Ministers? Teachers? Politicians? You tell me who you think role models are in the world we live in today.

No celebrities and sports stars shouldn't be role models, that wasn't what they sign up for. Kids that chase such dreams largely experience failure. For every Jordan or Tiger , there are thousands of failures. So they would be better advised to look to parents or teachers, doctors, or well standing people in thier community as a role model.
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 58
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 12:27:13 PM
Yeah go tell that to teenagers.
 Jake52177
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 12:27:27 PM
Role Model or not Tiger started this forum up again. I want to watch some of the masters. The networks are pulling out all the comeback stories. As far as a role model goes anyone who gets up early in the morning and tolls at a job they don't like just to provide the basics is a role model.
Tiger did what he did for the love of the game when he was small. The consumers made him an industry. I can only make putts like that on my nephews Wii.
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 60
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 12:42:41 PM
Its funny but society doesn't agree with a few of you. When Plaxico shoots himself in the leg you hear what a poor role model he is and is heard all over the news. When Vick kills dogs for sport, society throws it out again. When players get caught high and on drugs. When players beat their wife's. You hear it every day what poor role models they are. And teams always bring up when a player is caught for anything not an example to moral behavior do make statements as the player have to be a better role models.

Unfortunately they are role models and it goes with actors and musicians too. Media sells "the Man bites dog news clippings" that is in the news everyday and its a given. Do you happen to see all the reality shows on today? That's what most of the our children see every day.

As far as I see it with Tiger, there are many kids most likely taking up golf and wanting to be like him.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 61
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 1:06:08 PM

Yeah go tell that to teenagers.

My role model, and the person who had the most influence on my life was my Father. He raised me to be a man, morals, to treat women well, to do your best at everything.

If you can tell me of an athlete that can do all that to kids growing up...you let me know...

John Elway is my favorite athlete, but he didnt raise me growing up.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 62
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 1:11:56 PM

When Plaxico shoots himself in the leg you hear what a poor role model he is and is heard all over the news.

Plax isnt a role model one way or the other...he is a moron though. If your a teenager growing up and you feel like you need to be like Plax and carry a gun into a club in your sweat pants because you idolize Plaxico, then you have other problems ANYWAY....
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 63
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 2:44:53 PM
Broncosbuff you are totally missing my point. You are just backing your claim. I do not agree that Sports players should be role models. But they are to a lot of kids. and adult society also uses that pressure on the athletics also that they are role models
 observer902
Msg: 64
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 2:55:41 PM
^^^^^And you missed his point, that if you raise kids right, they won't have to look outside their own home for a role model.

The
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 65
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 3:41:45 PM

And you missed his point, that if you raise kids right, they won't have to look outside their own home for a role model.

That is BS and So full of it. And I am sure your not attacking me about how I am raising my kids. And why wouldn't they (children and teenagers) look at role models outside the home? Is there something wrong with that? A good Policeman Fireman Teacher Pastors and anyone they meet in life that they see goodness and values that plays a major role in their lives.

off topic enough
 broncsbuff
Msg: 66
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 3:55:33 PM

And I am sure your not attacking me about how I am raising my kids. And why wouldn't they (children and teenagers) look at role models outside the home?

Jac,

I just think role models should have contact with you, should be there to wipe your nose when you need it. Should be there to tell you its gonna be ok when a girl breaks his heart, should be there to tell you what you need to improve when playing sports. There is nothing wrong with kids looking at sports figures as larger than life, but If you are doing your job jac (which im sure you did) then your kids will not act like plaxico and go into a club with a loaded gun in his sweatpants. Or think its cool to take two dogs and fight them for money...my father raised me good enough to know the difference, thats what makes PARENTS role models.....
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 67
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 4:00:31 PM
I agree with you there 100% Broncosbuff but it is a fact that the Media kids do look up too and wanna be like ..... whomever
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 4:20:27 PM
broncsbuff, you are explaining what you think should be a role model... and no doubt, kids should look to their parents, their teachers, their own coach, the fireman down the street.... as role models....

But the truth is, athletes are role models, wether you like it or not, and those athletes that perform poorly off the field, with drugs, violent, abuse what ever... Is a poor role model, But athletes that achieve their goals, and work hard and show something that kids can admire and look up to, isn't a bad thing. A role model is a person who can influence another's life. There is nothing wrong with having a lot of good role models.

And Tiger is a good role model, sure, he knows this, he knows he is under a microscope, he's human, so he may say a few bad words when he gets flustered.... But it isn't only young kids, He has influenced a generation. I have worked in the Surf and Skate industry (As a designer) for over twenty years, When Tiger came on the scene... You would not believe the fashion trend that started, Young surf and skate kids started golfing. It made golf a little hip. Is it football or basketball? no not that popular... But a lot more popular since Tiger.

Kids should look up to their parents first and fore most. But you can't deny role models come in all sizes... and all walks of life... There is some 14 year old out there.... and Al Gore is his role model...
 MGMLION
Msg: 69
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 6:24:05 PM

Everyone that plays the game of golf swears and drops F-bombs.

But it's still a gentlemens game.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 70
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 6:45:25 PM

if you raise kids right, they won't have to look outside their own home for a role model.

I beg to differ. Ever hear of the adage "It takes a community to raise a child" ?

If you rely solely on what goes on inside the four walls of your home as a child's understanding of what is right and what is wrong, that child is destined to make the same mistakes in life made by his or her parents... and everyone makes mistakes.
About the only person who would be best off not looking outside his own home for a role model was born in a barn in the Middle East, over 2,000 years ago.

Yes, your parents should be your MAIN role models, but they should not - COULD not possibly – be your only role models.... unless you've led an extremely sheltered life.
 MGMLION
Msg: 71
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:10:52 PM
"America's Team" The 1970's Dallas Cowboys were my role models.

Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Roger Staubach to name a few.

The 70's Cowboys taught me how to win with class lose with dignity and face all new challenges.
 observer902
Msg: 72
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:04:02 AM
I beg to differ. Ever hear of the adage "It takes a community to raise a child" ?

Ya, and it's from a bygone age. Most don't even know who is in their community today.
With all the predators out there, who can you trust around your kids. Also I have found the people that toss this adage around , generally expect others to care for their kids, while they have a good time.

RatherBGolfing

umm , I meant the parents moreso than kids. And no kids don't live in bubbles, so can't be expected to only be influenced by just their parents. But saying that Britney Spears, or Dwayne Wade are good role models is a farce.Role Models should be people they have real relationships with, not some far off celebrity.

ratherBgolfing
Msg: 73
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:14:22 AM
Most don't even know who is in their community today.
And that's a shame. Maybe if they'd get thir faces away from the video games that their single moms have basically allowed to be come their babysitters and take a look around, they'd see that the good far outweighs the bad in most neighbourhoods.

Also I have found the people that toss this adage around , generally expect others to care for their kids, while they have a good time.

Really? I have found most people who expect others to raise their children while they are out having a good time have no clue as to the meaning of the adage. Apparently you hang with some pretty irresponsible people.

Like I said, if you accept only the people from within the four walls of your own home to be the sole influence in your life, then expect to make the same mistakes they've made.
 ortega-
Msg: 74
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 1:53:42 PM
Tiger woods isn't overhyped. He wins!. hes not a hero or anything but in the gold world is the number 1 player in the world and could be in history.
 MGMLION
Msg: 75
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 3:20:48 PM

Tiger woods isn't overhyped. He wins!.

Winning a golf tournament is the hardest thing you can do in life, except for Tiger Woods.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Tiger Woods - Overhyped?