Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Tiger Woods - Overhyped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 76
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Winning a golf tournament is the hardest thing you can do in life

What???
Holy cow, that's an overstatement if I've ever heard one.

At the risk of bringing this thread full circle in a flash, I'd have to say raising a family is the hardest thing to do in life, because to do it properly it takes almost a lifetime. Winning a golf tournament only takes four days.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 77
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:40:00 PM
Since this is a sports thread I think the discipline needed to play Tiger Woods type golf is indeed at least one of the hardest sports to play, and perhaps one of the hardest things to do in life. Tennis is another one. Simply because these are not team sports where many people are carrying the effort.

And remember that it's more than four days of playing a tournament. Its getting out there in all kinds of weather 365 days a year, playing round after round and fine turning your game. As well as hours in the fitness room working out so the entire body is in peak condition.

~Beth~
 MGMLION
Msg: 78
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 3/31/2009 11:00:11 PM

Winning a golf tournament is the hardest thing you can do in life

What???
Holy cow, that's an overstatement if I've ever heard one.

Then why don't you sign up for the US OPEN and try Winning it.

It only takes 18 years to raise a kid but you'll be out of contention before you reach the 18th hole in the first round.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 79
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 6:07:02 AM

Then why don't you sign up for the US OPEN and try Winning it.

Because I am not a good golfer, that's why.
That doesn't make it one of the hardest things to do in LIFE. That's such a ridiculous statement.
Go ahead and make a case for it being the hardest thing to do in sport, but even that is debatable. I'd say winning a major in tennis is tougher. Or winning the Tour de France. Or winning the Subaru Ironman. But at least there's valid arguments both ways in that one. Golf being the hardest thing in life?
Yeah, ok.

It only takes 18 years to raise a kid

Think about that for just one minute. (For one, parents NEVER stop raising their children. My dad died when I was 43 and you know what? I learned something from him the last day I saw him alive.)

I'll agree that winning the US Open is probably the hardest thing to do in GOLF, but in LIFE?
Not even worth debating.

Peace out.

broncsbuff
Msg: 80
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:31:55 AM

and perhaps one of the hardest things to do in life.

being ex military, I really take this personally.

I dare you to go to a marine, army or any military base and make that statement to men and women who just did a tour in Iraq.

cmon people...lets keep it simple..winning a golf tourney is tough, no doubt about it, but hardest thing in LIFE?...
 Jake52177
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 11:24:31 AM
Tiger Woods started this mess. How dare he make a Billion Dollars, take a year off and comeback brand new. How dare he spark a debate about role models. How dare he spark a debate about morals. Hey big picture the media hypes you up and takes you down. Images are what we see what is drilled home through the visual. You like it or you don't.
If Jack had Arnold who Tiger had to compete with for the Golf spotlight unluky lefty, or VJ, the shark. His foe life ended tragically Payne Stewart.
 dennyden
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 1:56:18 PM

I dare you to go to a marine, army or any military base and make that statement to men and women who just did a tour in Iraq.

cmon people...lets keep it simple..winning a golf tourney is tough, no doubt about it, but hardest thing in LIFE?...

great point!!, and thanks for your service!
 Yankees32
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 2:31:07 PM
Aren't we talking about Tiger Woods being overhyped? In the sport that he plays he is doing the toughest thing in his sport and that is coming back after an injury and winning a tournament.No one is even close to Tiger in golf period!!
 Affliiction
Msg: 84
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 3:32:08 PM
Greatest athlete in the history of sport.Period. Hes not overhyped, and if you dont agree with me, you have not thought about it enough.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 85
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/1/2009 5:47:38 PM
In the history of all sports?
That would make a good thread on its own. It's so hard to compare one sport to another.... or a team sport with an individual sport.
He is great though, that's for sure. And you can't overhype the greatest athlete in ANY sport (unless of course it's the WNBA )
 customjim
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/2/2009 6:49:55 AM
tiger is perhaps the greatest golfer of all time, no doubt about it....BUT! nothing stops a golfer from doing what he has trained himself to do but his own mind...he has done nothing miraculous by winning another tournament after recovering from an injury....why is it a wonder for him to be the greatest again after repairing a body part....i think t.o . owens faced far greater odds after knee surgery and playing in the super bowl against an attacking opponent than tiger....and his recovery/ rehab time was less than tigers

the worst thing tiger has to endure is the sound of airplanes and camera clicks, he faces no moving 100 mph objects to hit, no opponent to physically battle.... it is far more miraculuos to hear of soldiers battling on in spite of wounds while in combat, or a 18 year factory worker doing his expected 12 hour shift after hand, shoulder, back surgery

so yes i think he is way over hyped about his injury and return to the tour...but nothing to wet your undies over
 Stonecold2122
Msg: 87
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/5/2009 3:56:54 PM
You cant compare woods to Jack or Arnold just like any sport Equipment
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 88
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/5/2009 4:10:24 PM
equipment has little, if anything, to do withTiger's domination. If Tiger was using equipment that was not available to anyone else, then you could use that argument, but it's a level playing field.
Yes, Tiger (and pretty much everyone on tour) hits the ball a lot further these days than Nicklaus and Arnold did. But the courses are a lot tougher these days than they were 40 years ago as well.
 climbsagain
Msg: 89
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/5/2009 5:26:54 PM
How can you over hype the best in the game of golf. in fact if you look at the numbers Tiger puts uip each year you could say Tiger very in any game period. No other athlete will ever come close to the records Tiger will set in his life time. Remember he is a yong man and he dominates the game of golf. Over hype? Who can compete witht eh numbers put up by Tiger???????????
 Pingshooter
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/6/2009 6:09:15 AM
Is Tiger overhyped..possibly.

Tiger, in his contemporary surroundings, is the leader no doubt.
Just like the past greats were in their surroundings.

Tiger is fun to watch, until he starts to swear and throw tantrums, but again, that is Tiger.
He should be mindful, in my opinion, of his expletives he mutters and some of his displays of anger over missing shots, but he has toned it down some.
 Affliiction
Msg: 91
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/8/2009 8:01:44 PM
I would love to see him tear up the Masters this weekend.
 MGMLION
Msg: 92
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 4/9/2009 4:39:44 AM

Winning a golf tournament is oneof the hardest thing you can do in life

Because I am not a good golfer, that's why.

That's my point not too many folks are.
 killer kowalski
Msg: 93
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/4/2009 10:12:44 AM
he's a whining piece of poop. "don't take my picture when I am in my backswing." the f.ucking ball is sitting on a tee. In major league baseball you have a guy throwing the ball at you in excess of 80 miles per hour and 35,000 people screaming and 10000 with cameras trying to get your picture in your "backswing" flashbulbs going, people screaming. If he werea pro ball player he would have to bat with teh stands empty. Suck it up ya ****, it's not like they are throwing the ball at you.
 itsmillertime6227
Msg: 94
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:33:51 PM
The reason Tiger is "over exposed" is because he controls the raitings. The raitings control sponsorships. Sponsorship controls how much money is in the sport. Tiger is Golf's cash cow...without him it would be an afterthought. Just look at the ratings when Tiger plays in a tournament and when he does not play.

It's not just the game that awards him the hype...it's the money he brings in. And in these times where money is slim they're going to shove Tiger down your throats so they get their cash. I'm sure they're pressuring him into doing more tournaments to bring in more money.
 Hang2HeartU
Msg: 95
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/19/2009 9:59:33 PM
"Overhyped"...???
Y'THINK...??
He holds the "Record" for most weeks at #1 ranked player in the world....
~O-kay....follow This....: ~
He's off ...rehabing from knee surgery...for 8 Months....and remains #1.....
In his *Comeback*...He's eliminated in the 2nd round of Match play...still #1...
Doesn't win ONE 'Major' tournament, and in fact, Missed The CUT in One of them...
And not only did he remain #1......but _NONE_ oe the 'Major' _Winners_ were elevated to #1!!!
Isn't that part of what a "Major" is supposed to Determine...???
Who is the Worlds BEST golfer..?? Even just for That Week...!!!..??
Personally, I think Tiger, _Himself_ devised the "Formula" that computes the rankings...!!!
{And, Yes, I've seen it....it looks like something out of Einsteins secret Temporal Mechanics notebooks!!}
~ Ludicrous!!!~
 dennyden
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/20/2009 9:52:34 AM
let me say first iam no golf fan, but to think tiger is over hyped is just nonsense, if u dont like him thats fine, if u hate golf ( and i do) thats cool to, but they guy will go down as one of the best ever( i think the best ever) but thats doesnt matter, please explain to me how 1 of the best ever is overhyped, there is what 6 billion or so people on the planet, and he is in the top 1 or 2 of those 6 billion, and he is overhyped, thats just nonsense, atleast in my opinion.
 rickxyz
Msg: 97
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/20/2009 10:33:06 AM
Is he the best right now, of course, one of the best all time....overhyped, yes to the exlusion of other pro's who might be having a great day, its always about Tiger, 4 tied for first on the leaderboard, tiger's on top no problem....millertime explained the reasons, overhyped by the networks, yup....
 MGMLION
Msg: 98
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:07:03 AM

I'd have to say raising a family is the hardest thing to do in life.

I said winning not raising or serving.
 dennyden
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/20/2009 1:57:14 PM
I said winning not raising or serving.

i wonder how may tournaments we would have if the great men and wowen that protect didnt do there service???????
 dirtydeeds86
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Tiger Woods - Overhyped?
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:12:08 PM
I would say Tiger isnt Overhyped....

In My Lifetime.. Hes the best I seen!....

Every Year he Contends for atleast 2 majors.... Some would be happy just being in contention twice in there whole career
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Tiger Woods - Overhyped?