Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do guys say "baby" - "honey" - "sweetie"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Man In New Hampshire
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Why do guys say baby - honey - sweetiePage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
In a previous life, I used honey so I wouldn't say the wrong name in the heat of the moment.

That was wayyy back when I was in my twenties. I had, and still have, a difficult time remembering names. I now put more effort in remembering a woman's name and prefer to use the woman's first name unless she tells me otherwise.
 whitefirelillie
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Why do guys say baby - honey - sweetie
Posted: 8/29/2006 5:22:45 PM
I asked my one friend how many women he called baby and he said everyone and I said wow! Is it that you cant remember all the women's names and he said he could only remember my name?? and then I asked the other women that he was e-mailing if he used baby on them and they said yes! So what number baby were you? He always said I was number one and then I found out that there were 25 other number ones!!! and I walked away!
 Soul_Mates
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2006 8:04:36 PM
I have a few friends that call every female "darlin'" because that way if they forget the woman's name - it doesn't matter.

Sad but true.
 tiredofheadgames
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/29/2006 8:33:55 PM
If i call a lady anything like, honey, sweetie, baby, etc. it is because i really like them a lot.
Otherwise they just get called hey you, or by name is all.

I have a couple customers that call me Sweetie, or dear, and it rocks IMO.
They are both gals in their 50's, and both are really nice people, and that is just how they are.
I smile and call them sweetie back.
If everyone was that nice, the world would be a better place if you ask me.

sickoftalking2cat
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/30/2006 4:39:00 PM
i really dont know why it would bother anybody,...... its not like someone callin u b!tch or something!! ,.... ive personally been called all 3 by girls in here so its not just the guys!
scattered time id use the term "duckie",.... my xg hated that!!,......i wont use it unless by accident if i know someone doesnt like it, but i really cant figure out what all the fuss is about......im sure there s worse can happen to u.
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2006 4:53:33 PM
Sorry, I use them.

Baby.
Honey.

There tearms of endearment.

How to describe there meaning? hmm... Well, when I say "Honey, do you want me to grab you anything while im up?" What I mean is, "K. I like/love you, and want to know if grabbing you a drink will mean your ready to go again when I get back"

I thought that it was plainly obvious. I guess there not as good at reading into stuff as I thought.
 weena
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/30/2006 5:09:34 PM
for me, it doesn't bother me when someone I know and like who is flirting with me and calls me hon, or babe/baby...I figure it's kind of like a term of endearment...am I right fellas?

however, it can have its slimey undertones - when the guy is kind of lecherous - it makes my skin crawl. I definitely don't find it endearing...more..like... repulsive. (where's the pukey icon when you need it?)
 Barkley2006
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/30/2006 5:30:20 PM
Just terms one uses to express a certain level of intimacy with someone they are interested in. If you don't like it, you should let the person know, and I'm sure he'll stop.
 FormalWare
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/30/2006 9:58:57 PM
It's a "line". A way of flirting, as someone else said. A way to establish a degree of familiarity--or to establish that the woman in question doesn't appreciate that degree of familiarity (so be it--but this is a DATING site, so a little flirtatiousness is to be expected, one would think).
 cuteazabutton
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2006 8:27:54 AM

It's a "line". A way of flirting, as someone else said. A way to establish a degree of familiarity--or to establish that the woman in question doesn't appreciate that degree of familiarity (so be it--but this is a DATING site, so a little flirtatiousness is to be expected, one would think).

Very well said!!!!

I myself dont mind being called by those "terms of endearment" to me its flattering.
 Dr Spacedust
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/1/2006 8:45:10 AM
Pretty simple. I can't multi task & I have a limited blood supply.

If the bloods going elsewhere I'm damn sure I can't remember your name.
 Jus_Desireable
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/1/2006 11:16:53 AM
None of you ladies come to where I'm from then, cause you'll be highly offended lol..

Here guys and women (the locals anyway), its just part of our culture of making someone feel good when we meet them. I must admit sometimes it does get confusing cause I had a friend once who thought this guy was after her (she was from Canada, he was a local) cause he kept saying "Hi beautiful". I had to try and explain to her that it was common practice and after a few weeks of being here she caught on.

Granted some think its too endearing, but to me hey if I can make your day a little brighter but just using a word like sweetie, honey, or beautiful then all the ladies in this thread please forgive me now cause that side of me ain't never going to change.
 DentedKnight
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/1/2006 11:27:25 AM
You want me to always use your name?

No problem. There's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

People generate terms for familiarity and closeness. You don't want close. No problem. There's the door.

Think it through. One poster complained about 25 'baby's. Who cares? There could have been six Marshas two Susans a choir full of Mary's and you would have felt better about his cheating how? Do women seriously think that men conciously choose to call you by some term of endearment (as opposed to epithet) because they are afraid they might forget your NAME? Put down the hookah baby... Is your name that forgettable? Are you that forgettable? IF the answer is "yes" then you have a self esteem problem and should work on that, not him. If the answer was "no" then he wouldn't forget you, your name, your perfume or anything else and you are just b!tching 'cause you can't stop meddling....

Oh my. Relax. If you are gonna be close, be close. No risk, no reward.

Otherwise forget asking him to call you by name. Have him call you by your Social Insurance Number. At least it really IS unique.
 Panicdance
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/1/2006 2:19:01 PM
Face it Girls, you're the 'desire of the earth'. Even when we don't have the right to it, most of us want it, even if only in the smallest way. It feels like having the skimpiest hold on your sweet little elbow. So...... Excuuuuusssseeee Ussss !!
We're all looking for a 'connection'... consider it a tiny 'feeler' testing whether there IS any sort of that. Really is a desperate cry for help isn't it? a tiny, civil-as-can-be silent scream. Good one Mustang065, you actually hit a truth. That's why it does feel like it's claiming more than it has the right to. It is. But that's a little like the 'visual priviledge'. Some women claim the right to go out looking like passion incarntate, fit to put any man's heart in his throat... but she wants the sole right to pick & chose who has the right to notice.
I realize the 'pet name' thing is techincally wrong & may not be welcome. But any woman who is so cool & formal enough to press it is not one I'd waste much time on anyway... so it's also a 'weed eater'. But mostly, I just so desperately wish I had a lady in my world who was actually living up to them that it's sort of me pandering to my own need to say them. I also wouldn't go on a second date with a lady who's too prim & proper & freakin' cold to hold hands on a first date. Had my life ruined by a woman I couldn't 'touch', verbally, emotionally or physically, so don't need more of that.
But any way you take it, doing it 'cause you're too lazy or too much of a 'whoremonger' to remember their names is just creepy... ladies if you can't tell the difference, 'shamie, shamie'.
 floridian407
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2006 2:32:20 PM
I'd rather a guy call me baby, sweetie, or honey than the b word or other insults, been there, done that, with verbally abusive jerks. I hope that is something I never repeat, enough is enough with that kind of nonsense. I have a great male friend, it is platonic-he's gay, but you wouldn't really know it unless you knew him well, and I like it when he calls me baby, it *is* a term of endearment coming from him, he also calls me by my name too, it all balances out in the end. All in all, good names of endearment are okay with me, not hearing from people bugs me more....One of my favorites was when I had a friend date with another male friend who is dating now, and he called me baby girl, guess I'm just a sucker for pet names...!{Of course I am both a Libra and a romantic, that may make a difference, who knows!}
 txdramaqueen
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/1/2006 3:07:46 PM
I just had this conversation. It seems easiest for men who can't remember your name! For the record, mine's Tammy.
 JADENSTAR
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2006 3:12:05 PM
WELL I GUESS TO EACH THERE OWN, BUT I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULDNT WANT TO BE CALLED SOMETHING SWEET, I MUCH PREFER THIS TO MY OWN NAME, I THINK ITS SWEET WHETHER I KNOW THEM OR NOT....
 Nos800id
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2006 3:32:04 PM
I say Babe and thats about it...

I actually thought a Woman would want this from a Man. It's kinda like "Puppy Love" names. I'm always saying something like that for instance the current girl I'm dating has a very nice Butt lol So when I call/text/email I hey Cutie with the Bootie, thought it was just one of those things...
 BOT TAK
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/1/2006 3:59:33 PM

I'd rather a guy call me baby, sweetie, or honey than the b word or other insults
yeah, right........he better call me baby rather than a b!tch.........but what is wrong with my name? At least I call all my men with their names and I can invent something new for Him based on his name.it will sound very personally and still like "pet name".he can do the same ...if he has an imagination
If the only thing he knows is "babe"......oh well........well said - he knows where the door is. If I don't like something in relationship I am not gonna stay either...........even if it's something like honey/sweetie/baby....which is soo used - in every store every cashier name you like that.............everywhere.

I expect my relationship would be personal - and I usually get it. No matter what
 j5rush
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/1/2006 4:36:47 PM
Because it's hard to associate which name goes with who?
 Tom Orrow
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/2/2006 6:27:25 PM
hahaha
My girl and I call each other Sweety (with a capital) amongst some other pet names.
Feels good and relaxes me.

And there is an old (girl) friend that has a special name for me too that I wouldn't except from anybody else. But from her it feels good too for I know of the warm friendship that lays beneath that name she gave me.

I think it mostly depends on WHO is giving you a pet name. And what it expresses.
If my girl would use the same pet names for me and for everybody else, it would certainly hurt me.

Tom
 bcbarbie
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2006 7:05:01 PM

You want me to always use your name?

No problem. There's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

hahaha VERY WELL SAID!!!! I call guys and girls those names all the time. For starters, nobody here can say that they've never messed up someones named by accident, So why risk the chance??
 OrdinaryJoe
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/3/2006 12:33:36 PM
Why do women say the same thing?
 gojersey
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2006 1:44:22 PM
I like using terms of endearment with the woman I am dating and I also like it when use them towards me. It's just a matter of preference. If you don't like just say so in a polite way. Any man who is worth your time will respect that and not do it anymore. If not then you've effectively uncovered a flaw that should not be tolerated and just say "bye bye".
 SlocanMan
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/3/2006 2:01:25 PM
I think there are two factors at work....

1) Men are often encouraged by some portions of the female community to use pet names, even with near-strangers. I have encountered this in the bar scene (expecially as a professional musician). So, in other words, some women encourage this behaviour.

2) A man who is uncreative will come across as....well....uncreative. He will generally use words that make him feel more at ease, and settle on a "common lingo" to interact with others. Of course, the internet makes people feel more distanced from each other, which emboldens a man to call gals pet names even when he doesn't know her.

Guess what? Women do it too....and its just as aggravating.

Cheers,

Jay
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do guys say "baby" - "honey" - "sweetie"