Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Gut Feelings.. and accurate can they be?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cereal
Msg: 26
Gut Feelings.. and accurate can they be?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
gut feelings can be very accurate...with myself, i can always tell if someone is lying...i believe its in the eyes but i'm not totally sure. all i know is that when someone lies i have this compulsion to turn my back on them and it's been pretty much 100% right.
 forty-six and 2
Msg: 27
Gut Feelings.. and accurate can they be?
Posted: 8/28/2006 6:44:16 AM
I don’t implicitly trust my gut instincts, I heed there warnings, but they are by no means the final say. Usually your gut instincts tell you something is wrong because you’re missing a piece of the picture and something isn’t adding up right.

If you act on those gut feelings right away, then yeah I guess they will always be right because all you have is conjecture. You have not waited to see what the other possibilities could have been for those feelings you are having. You don’t have proof that you’re intuition is actually correct, so you assume that you were right and so we tend to learn to listen to those gut feelings when they come up because our own point of view says they’re right.

I also think we remember the times those gut feelings were right, more than the times they weren’t right. This also leads us to believe that our gut feelings are always right.

I say listen to the gut feelings, but look at what’s in front of you too. Be patient and communicate, if things are not adding up because the other person is up to something, they are not going to suddenly start adding up because you’ve ignored a gut feeling. In a sense, for those who are scientific, the gut feeling is the theory, you must prove your theory before making a determination or coming to a conclusion.
 box within a box
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/28/2006 9:45:26 AM

Are we talking playing poker here or judging people's character?

I'm a lot better at poker than people.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2006 10:52:13 AM
Msg 28: I totally agree with that. A gut feeling is one thing, a knee-jerk reaction is another. We should listen to our gut, but we should back it up with hard fact whenever possible before making a huge decision based on it.
 Big_Fishy
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/28/2006 2:20:24 PM
i think everyone or most of us will agree that when we don't listen to ourselves, we sometimes end up in trouble. This sort of sixth sense that we ignore really would benefit us if we trusted it more often then not. After having been through some bad experiences myself, I have learned to trust my instincts or my gut more.

Even if our instincts are not always accurate, you can assure yourself at least from walking into something that may or may not hurt you. This is not to say that life is all about playing it safe. I risk as much as the next individual on here. Sometimes we just need to use common sense or in some situations really assess what is right and not right for us, and know when to walk away from something before we get hurt.

It's no offence to where we may walk away from an individual, but more so walking away from a potentially bad situation. Sometimes those individuals are hurt by our sudden defensive reactions to protect ourselves when in fact I wish they would see that it's not so much about them as it is the way they are living their lives or the situation they put themselves in. I guess its hard from their point of view. If some people are wondering by what i mean, lets just say u meet someone who is a great person but say they are messed up with drugs and u know thats not your thing. So you decide not to get involved knowing full well that drugs are not something you wish to be mixed up in. No offence to the person, but you are protecting yourself at the same time. Maybe a bad example but i hope u get the point.
 JoePAMN
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/28/2006 3:10:07 PM
Yeah, when the old spider sense starts tingling, you need to pay attention. That doesn't mean its always right, but way too often in my life I've ignored it or rationalized it away, to my later regret.
 forty-six and 2
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:00:59 PM

lets just say u meet someone who is a great person but say they are messed up with drugs and u know thats not your thing

Well see in your example you're right, you not too many people want to get mixed up in someone with a drug problem. However, how do you know they have a drug problem? Is it a gut feeling, or have you seen evidence of it.

If you only see evidence of it, such as a runny nose or something, and don't investigate it (simply by being aware and looking for other signs, and/or communicating with the person) and cut them off. You don't really know what you've just cut off, you're playing it safe and you're probably doing it as often as you complain of not being able to find someone.

I'm not saying anyone should lower the standards, or ignore a gut feeling, just take the most balanced approach to it as you can.

You would be surprised, most people say they follow their gut instincts, what they don't realize it that often their gut instincts follow them.
 pnayplayr
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:09:06 PM
out of all the times my gut feeling have saved my ass from losers and drama kings [which is A LOT]...i will admit i was wrong once. BUT, with my *stupid* mistake, it still didn't stop there. in the end, we still had something going on after my *move*. eventually, things fall into its place. i hooked-up with someone...then so did he...two days after he found out about my new *man*. we're both happy with who we have. we still talk every now and then. i still randomly email him, and he still calls me out of the blue.

the point is, ALWAYS trust your instinct. IF you happen to make the *wrong move* and let him get away. if he really is meant for you, somewhere down the road, you two will cross paths again =)
 Single White Female 32
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:11:09 PM
I quote one of my favorite songs by Jewel
"Follow your heart, your intuition.."

My gut has never been wrong, now whether I listened too it or not, that's another storey. LOL

R
 kittenrose
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:19:35 PM
ok.. so do I ask him? do I ask her? do I follow my instinct and ask them about it? or do I just sit on it and wonder and find out later if it was true or not? altho I dont think I could ever really find out since I live 5 hours away from them.. she is not returning my calls and I dont think he would tell me the truth if his life depended on it..
 rghtgrl4u
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:32:44 PM
My gut feeling tells me we all have second guess those feelings and then regreted it. We learn from past mistakes some really good lessons.. Don't second guess your feelings just question why you feel that way.. Is it bitterness or past wrong decisions or is it something that we should concern ourselves with? Get to know yourself..Confidence and self examination is key to figuring out lifes' many mysteries.
 Nukem
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:40:27 PM
My gutt feeling is always right!! I never ignore it because that's when it can get worst. The times gutt feelings aren't 100% right is when your head tells you something, your heart something else. If both aren't agreeing then your gutt feeling won't be 100% accurate (especialy if you ignore your heart or head). Best way for you gutt to be snap on target is to find a way to balance your head and heart together to come to a common point. It's at that moment that your gutt is accurate.
 chardit
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:50:30 PM
I agree with most above. I am an intuitive person and trust my "vibes" totally. They have never done me wrong. Granted, perception can be relative and complex..but trust the vibes! Just know that they are subject to interpretation!
 Leaving POF
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:56:05 PM
Gut feelings are always a guide to a path you should be on, or are meant to be on. When we go against our gut, it does not mean all is lost, but rather, a new opportunity will come along in another form to get you back on track. Many people, especially women, will call their deep desire for something gut feeling. Usually its not. The best way to learn what your gut is telling you is from recognizing the times you ignored it in the past. Often it is brutal honesty within yourself and it is a very hard thing to admit. A strong person is not the one who never makes mistakes, but rather, the one who learns from them.
 katttt
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2006 11:36:29 PM
Your gut feeling is 99.99999% right all of the time. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where my gut feeling has been wrong.
 QueenCrimson
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/28/2006 11:42:06 PM
I hate to put a damper on things, but I agree with most of the above posters. Your gut feeling is usually right; so listen and be thankful that you made most of your decisions based on your gut instinct.
 forty-six and 2
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/29/2006 8:40:15 AM
. I have a question, how do you know your gut feeling was right? You had a gut feeling and you followed it and stopped seeing the guy or girl. So how do you know your gut feeling was right if you don't have contact with the person anymore?

I still believe all gut feelings do is keep us safe by stopping us from taking a chance or risking anything. Too often the gut feeling is caused by our own insecurities. We create and invent our own feelings based on what we think a lot more than what we know.

I’ll give an example, I met this girl off her about 6 months ago and my gut feelings were telling me move on, don’t bother with her. Things weren’t adding up, where she lived I had gone by one day and seen the place empty, no furniture, nothing. Well I took the risk, ignored the gut feeling but kept it in mind. When I finally did go over to her house, I realized I had been looking at the wrong house before. There were a few other things with this girl that my gut feeling was “warning” me about. You know what the feelings were wrong, she’s harmless. Just maybe not the most secure person in the world because she’s been to the school of hard knocks a few times.
 Natscha
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:13:23 AM
I've rarely, if ever, been wrong, when I've followed my gut feelings. I believe it depends on the person though. If you are, for example, PARANOID, then you probably shouldn't rely upon them too much.
 travel junky
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:28:03 AM
They can be amazingly accurate. I learned the hard way to trust mine

There are still times when I'm tempted not to pay attention to them---they're like my best friend and worst enemy at the same time
 Zoomba
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/29/2006 12:28:21 PM
Depends on the topic:

He/She isn't that into me................100%
I'm Hungry....................................100%
He/She is really into me..................50%
I'm going to win the lotto................0.0000000001%
 Dessert
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/29/2006 12:36:03 PM
In my experience with relationships... I'll say my gut feelings have been 100% on the mark.. usually they are called "flags"... everyone throws them up.. whether you are dating.. and feel something about a person or by listening them talk... or in a relationship and suspect untrueness... In the two relationships I was in that ended.. my gut was 100% correct in what type of person they eventually showed themselves to be.. (i.e. cheaters.. and liars).. If you are having feelings of confusion.. then things aren't right.. If your significant other or your date is for real.. they don't play too many games or subject you to too many test.. then you are not confused.. therefore your gut.. feels OK..
Hope this helped..
 freetime4u
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:11:43 PM
couldnt have say it better myself.
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:25:51 PM
mine are 90% accurate conservative estimate... on a bad day

higher on a good day, topping out at 99.99999999 % on a good day.

I would bet my life on my gut instinct...
 BeachDude4Fun
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:35:41 PM
I tend to focus just on the good in everyone and sometimes get sidetracked.

Peace
 LitlP
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:50:07 PM
My gut feelings are usually pretty accurate, but not always. It's the ones I try to ignore that get me in the most trouble.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Gut Feelings.. and accurate can they be?