Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decid      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frankster_p
Msg: 76
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
How about Gharrinca?
Another great Brazilian, the greatest dribler ever they say, with one leg shorter than the other and out at an angle.
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 77
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.
Posted: 1/12/2008 4:01:48 AM
to me the german Klinsmann has been the greatest, and also my idol together with the Mexican Hugo Sanchez.
 ndru1028
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/12/2008 3:50:18 PM
Sanchez was a great player for the Mexican side. As their coach..Not so much..
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/13/2008 5:53:22 AM
i mean Hugo Sanchez playing for Real Madrid (his best years), later he moved to USA to play for a club called Dallas Burn, then he retired.

right now i do not know/hear much about him as manager of his national team Mexico. maybe someday he will return to Europe
 Srohack
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/14/2008 10:00:24 PM
Eh, im pretty partial to Cruyff,Yashin,Beckenbauer and zizou.
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 1:05:40 AM
BRETT FRARVE IS THE BEST FOOTBALLER ! HEHE!
 frankster_p
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/15/2008 5:30:47 AM
Wrong code friend.

Thats NFL.
 mrblueyes69
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/15/2008 8:22:28 AM
i wud have 2 say steven gerrard...
 ndru1028
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/18/2008 6:20:26 PM
Here is a few on my list..Roger Milla, Mario Kempes, Paolo Rossi, Zidane, Eusebio, George Best & of course Pele & Maradonna. There are many more to be considered..
 frankster_p
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/19/2008 6:57:45 AM
That game in the 82 world cup when Paolo Rossi scored a hat trick against Brazil is a classic.
That brazil team some say was the greatest brazil team ever. With Socrates, and Zico.

People in brazil commited suicide when they lost to Italy and were out of the tournament.
 ndru1028
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:20:53 AM
Frank..You could easily add Socrates to the list as well .
 Chilywily
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:01:48 PM
I would prefer me. No seriously who was good back in the days I would say Edson Arante De Nacimiento (Pele) was the best soccer/football player all time on my books.
 MrBananas
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/21/2008 3:17:18 PM
Pele said , George Best was the best footballer ever , I agree .
 ndru1028
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:03:51 PM
Georg Best could be mentioned in that breath as well. As a child I was given his book "On the Ball" for my birthday. A unusual gift for American boys living in Dallas Texas in the early 1970's. Sad what alcohol can do to a man. He will be remembered as one of the best of all time.
 durso
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:08:27 PM
i played football for 8 years as a pro till my injury ,and the best i come across was ronaldo. by far. who knows which way he is going to go ?
 frankster_p
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/1/2008 7:04:48 AM
What team(s) did you play for mate?
 motionsofenergy
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/1/2008 3:17:19 PM
id say marradona was the best player around of his time, mainly because of the famous hand of god

the greatest footballer of the modern age is without a doubt Henrik Larsson. the man is simply a class act. model professional both on and off the field.

but the greatest of all time for me has to be Jimmy Johnstone, he would run rings around George Best. Jimmy Johnstone had the entire bernabeu give him a standing ovation at the end of di Stefanos testimonial match, not bad eh?

george best was a waste of talent, he never had a full career and pissed away the rest.
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/2/2008 4:40:24 AM
Henrik Larsson the greatest footballer of modern age?

clearly you know nothing about football! Larsson? no-one gives a shite! there are hundreds of players better than him.

the greatest of modern age is Zidane without any doubt, then you have Ronaldo, Maldini, Del Piero, Kaka, Oliver Khan, Romario, Cristiano Ronaldo, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Raul, and many others! Larsson? what a joke! he played for Celtic, then he moved to Barca, and now where the hell he is? what a joke!

a real football fan would never mention Larsson as the greatest footballer of modern age, even i would never mention him amongst good footballers! he is just another one who fills a club and later disappears, no more!
 motionsofenergy
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/2/2008 5:16:32 AM
clearly i know a lot about football, larsson, if i remember rightly came of the bench in the champions league final, and took barcalona on to win it. he also played for manchester united and feynoord. alex ferguson claimed he was the best player hes ever worked with, also tried to keep him at manchester united, barcalona also wanted to keep him after his contract was up.

the two biggest clubs in the world dont have shite players playing for them. he has also scored goals in every major league, european cup and world cups, shite players do not do that. celtic tried to resign him at the start of the month, shite players do not get resigned. at the moment he is playing for his hometown club of helsingborg.
 ndru1028
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:07:29 AM
In American sports we would call Larsson a role player. A role player has a certain role or mission that helps the TEAM win as a whole. One game in a Champions League Final WILL NOT in ANY WAY make him mentionable in the same breathe as C. Ronaldo, Kaka, Giggs, Romario, Messi, Shevchenko, Nedved, Drogba, Luis Garcia, Gerrard or henry just to name a few. Larson may be good but he has never been Great.
 frankster_p
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:20:47 AM
C Ronaldo still has a way to go b4 he is regarded as one of the all time greats.
Yes hes still young.
He needs to perform for Portugal at this years Euro.
Loves it at Old Trafford, can be quiet away from there in Europe.

Gattuso the ultimate role player.
Hes like a pitbull lol
 ndru1028
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:32:46 AM
Frank,

I agree with you about C Ronaldo having a way to go to be mentioned with the greats of all time. I was replying to Motions post that Larsson was the greatest player in the modern age.
I agree also about Gattuso..Dude has no fear..LOL
 motionsofenergy
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/2/2008 8:56:24 AM
hes done more than just the champions league final. i was refering to larsson as a model professional, both on and off the field, he reached across both sides of the glasgow divide. he has scored in every level of professional football, there is not one team in the world that wouldnt want him in their team, when he was at his height.

lets disect some of the other names that have been brought up

roy keane, my fellow countryman, great player but his temperment lets him down.
zidane, another great player but his antics in the world cup final discredits him somewhat
messi, great player but too young for this discussion
chrissy the sissy (ronaldo), good player when he isnt rolling around on the ground.
ronaldo, way over rated
raul, over rated, he only gets his game because hes married to the presidents daughter.
eric cantona, great player but his temperment let him down.
 motionsofenergy
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/2/2008 9:24:17 AM
before i get slayed by the larsson haters, i am just stating my opinion on who i think is the greatest player of the modern game. i judge this by how he plays the game,

1)when he is fouled he doesnt run to the referee looking for free kicks or to give the opposing player a card, he picks himself up and continues playing.

2) hes a family man, all his footballing decisions are based on his families needs, then by his footballing needs, not by money

3) he came back to play top level football after two horrific broken legs.

this is my opinion and im sticking to it.

now the slaying can begin
 ndru1028
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/2/2008 10:16:45 AM
Motion..
That is one thing great about forums..we can all have an opinion. I commend Larsson for being a stand up guy & a good family man.
I know over in Europe you hear about our American athletes such as Michael Vick, Barry Bonds, steroids in sports & how some of the American football players are plain thugs. It is not unusual to open the paper & read about a player beating his wife or girlfriend, arrested for drug or gun charges etc.They just don't get it..

Ok..back to our thread on football..lol
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.