Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decid      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shiningblackstar
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.Page 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Pele was the best striker ever just look at his scoring stat but the greatest player ever that i have seen Maradona by a country mile just watch the 86 world cup or the 90 world cup match verses Brazil when theres about 6/7 brazilian players tracking him trying to take the ball of him and he carries it from the half way line to the edge of the box and slips it to Canigia i think thats the name who scores.

agree with you jason on schmeicheal the best of last 20+ yrs.
 JasonVoorhees666
Msg: 202
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.
Posted: 5/28/2009 5:25:46 PM
yea I am not going to totaly judge pele because I have not seen much of his best years I was too younf way too young, what I ment pele was overated is some people say he is the greatest wthout watching him play when he never played in europe and allot of games in brazil were never taped, I am not questioning the greatness of pele but ppl had to have seen him allot to say he was the greatest, not look at records.

yea schmecheal was the greatest, I have never seen a goalie come up with so many match winning saves, he was a monster in goal and was my fav player growing up watching united. cech vds dnt compare to schmecheal not even casillas
 sum1reel
Msg: 203
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:12:54 PM
Right now.........i believe Messi has been given a chance to step into the halls of greatness....he is still a young man and has not made history yet.......but he has made a big impact this year, and clearly shows signs of future greatness in the same lines as Maradona, Cruyf, DiStefano, and possibly zidane..............he is more than a presence on his team, he is a 'defining' figure!!.........he allows space to be created for his fellow attackers and thus is able to elevate their game, and unlike Ronaldo he can be counted on to come thru...when needed!.............these are the main ingredients of a great player (in the making).
 kirk763
Msg: 204
Posted: 5/29/2009 1:01:55 AM
So...Ronaldo has never produced in the big games??? Let's see...he was voted top player in the Premiership a few years running by his fellow professionals, the fans and sportswriters, I guess they didn't know what they were talking about...he was voted world player of the year last year, he must have been just the first recipient of that award who didn't really deserve it. What a load of rubbish!!!!

In United's really massive games, he has consistently been a match winner. And because of one game where Barca play well and United play poorly...Messi is suddenly the big match player and Ronaldo is a fair weather footballer? Where do people come up with this rubbish? I mean if you don't like the guy because of his image or attitude...fine...but don't be so patently biased and partial, try to be objective.

Messi went missing in Stamford Bridge a couple of weeks ago, in fact he was poor and bereft of ideas against a well organized defence...the Champions League final was his first ever time scoring against English opposition in over 10 attempts because he has been routinely shut down. He has in fact been marshalled quite well in different European games this year and last year by different teams. But you won't hear me disparaging the guy, he's a world class footballer. So is Ronaldo...and anyone that cannot see that is blinded by their own obstinacy and is allowing their petty dislike of a player to cloud their judgment. Moreover, Messi has a long, long, long way to go before he will be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Maradona!!!!
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 205
Posted: 5/29/2009 6:24:23 AM
no way Schmeichel is the greatest goalkeeper, even Oliver Khan is better than him.

to me the greatest is Harald Schumacher, commonly known as Toni Schumacher, the great and tough German goalkeeper of the 80's, when Germany was really powerful, he was one of the first to master a one-armed throw that could propel the ball well into the rival's half.

everyone knows that Germany has given birth the best goalkeepers in the history of football. it is a fact and not only Germans are the best goalkeepers but the toughest defenders as well, that is why it is quite difficult to get through their defences.

as for Messi being crowned as the greatest right now, well i think he must show something more, perhaps during the next world cup with Argentina. if he were given the award so soon, then it would be very easy for any player in the future to get the award.

to me the best footballer in the world is C.Ronaldo, yes he was rubbish the other day in the final, but still the best.
 sum1reel
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/29/2009 6:35:38 AM
........Kirk!.. again, your pomposity shines thru like the midday sun!.........i never said he wasn't productive, but CR thrives well in the Epl cause the game is fast paced and less methodical than some of the other euro leagues.....as a result he has been able to capitalize on the errors of his defending opponents and thus has done well in that his frustration levels have usually been kept low!

Cr will never leave the Epl cause he knows how good he has it....it doesn't mean that the Epl is weak, it just means that he fits in well into that milieu......and of course he has produced such that he has deserved his accolades.

On the other hand, he has not been impressive for his NT........telling me that his game is not readily adaptable to all styles and individuals, and for most other players this is no big deal, but for a 'giant' like CR, his shortcomings then become noticeable...........in short, CR (like rooney) is an important "gear" in a big engine (MU).........however, i think Messi is much more than a "gear" in the Barca machine.......he is also a "lubricator or facilitator" of all other gears.

the Champions League final was his first ever time scoring against English opposition in over 10 attempts because he has been routinely shut down

..i never said he could score at will...i said that his quickness and creativity allows for his other teammates to have more room to move about as he often gets double teamed...i guess you forgot that he was responsible in the goal scored by iniesta against chelse resulting in the B victory......but i guess that didn't figure much in your rating scale!

But you won't hear me disparaging the guy, he's a world class footballer. So is Ronaldo.

i haven't disparaged CR...as i said, i think he thrives well in his milieu...and he has the talent to do so.....but there are many who feel that he is well over-rated!

Messi has a long, long, long way to go before he will be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Maradona!!!!

..i didn't say otherwise...read my post!!.........i just said he has the opportunity to be one of greats!
 hala-steve
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 7:34:58 AM
''as for Messi being crowned as the greatest right now, well i think he must show something more, perhaps during the next world cup with Argentina. if he were given the award so soon, then it would be very easy for any player in the future to get the award.''

So if that is the basis for being crowned FIFA World player of the year, tell me...what has Ronaldo done for his country?
Messi has done more than Ronaldo in their respective National teams.
Before the season commenced, Messi won the Olympic Gold Medal with Argentina and much more!

Messi in my Opinion has done well to be crowned the FIFA World player of the year!
So don't be biased because Messi plays for a rival team...Barca.
It's high time you stopped being so biased about anything that has to do with Barca, they are Brilliant, they have quality and World class players, and above all...they are the first team in La Liga to win the treble; deal with that Pedro and quit hating!

kirk763
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/29/2009 8:15:32 AM
I tell you what Summy...why don't you look up his stats in the Champions League for the last couple of years and his stats for his National Team...just look it up...no point in arguing with you, you rarely understand what's going on anyway! Ronaldo won the best player in the world award last year because he was the best player in the world and was magnificent in all competitions. This year his goals in the knockout stages of the Champions League were breathtaking...or did you not see the strike from 45 yards out that will be shown on tv screens around the world for decades to come...or the beautiful move that he started and finished in the Champions League semi final against Arsenal...

so look up the stats for National team and remember the fact that he was a shoe in for the young player of the tournament in the 06 World Cup for Portugal until the antics against England and I think you'll find that the only lubricant needed is for your brain...not Barcelona.
 kirk763
Msg: 209
Posted: 5/29/2009 8:19:21 AM

to me the best footballer in the world is C.Ronaldo, yes he was rubbish the other day in the final, but still the best.

I agree that Ronaldo is certainly one of the best players in the world and I think Messi is definitely a world class football but he does need to improve in my opinion. I have seen him shut down now by top teams in the Champions League on more than one occasion. But he'll improve...he's young!
 kirk763
Msg: 210
Posted: 5/29/2009 8:42:08 AM

i guess you forgot that he was responsible in the goal scored by iniesta against chelse resulting in the B victory

And if you weren't so blinded by your hero-worship of the flea, I think you might have noticed that it was really a mistake by Essien that gifted Barca the goal...it was hardly a piece of creative genius from the youngster who had been extremely disappointing against Chelsea...a toe poke of a defender's error does not constitute world class football!
 hala-steve
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 8:49:44 AM
Yeah, Messi has been shut down by top teams, but Chelsea are the only team that were able to mark him tight, can't think of any other top team that did this.
Last year's CL between MU and Barca, it was Messi who ran the show, though United came out victorious that night, Ronaldo was nowhere to be found, he was marked all through and didn't see much of the ball.

Moreover, Ronaldo has also gone missing in a number of games against top teams, both in the League and CL.
The League game between United and Liverpool, Ronaldo was bullied out of the game by the Liverpool defence!
These superstars can't always have it their way, they definitely would have some good and bad days.
Ronaldo is no doubt a talented Footballer, but I've always felt Messi is better, even when Ronaldo won the FIFA World player of the year.
 hala-steve
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:06:36 AM
Speaking of number of goals scored...Messi has also matched Ronaldo in that feat.
Messi was the highest goal scorer of the Tournament, and had a total of 38, four goals short of Ronaldo's last year.
So the little guy has also proved he can score so many goals, most of which came from open play and a few penalties.

kirk763
Msg: 213
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:06:51 AM
Oh I thought United handled Messi just fine last year. He ran around in front of the back four like a headless chicken...when he couldn't open the back four up, he had nowhere to go...

I think they are completely different types of players. Messi plays a particular style and Ronaldo plays another. Even physically they could not be more different. Why not just accept that they are both a long ways ahead of any other players going and be happy that we get to see both of them play?

And I'm sorry...Ronaldo won the man of the match award in last years Champions League final so I just do not agree that he goes missing in big games...with the possible exception of a World Cup final that's the biggest game on the planet man and the powers that be judged him the best player on the pitch!

And in fairness Hala, United were muck against Liverpool. You cannot blame an attacking winger when your central midfield and defence falls apart. Just as when Barcelona don't win the midfield duel, Messi is made to look ordinary.
 kirk763
Msg: 214
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:10:03 AM
And last time I checked...four goals less did not match someone...it is four goals less...
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 215
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:17:16 AM
I think it could be argued [so I will] that Ronaldo is doing less with more--he's taller and faster than Messi, yet I'd say they have pretty equal impact.

I disagree that Ronaldo was absent in the CL final--he is the only Man U player who seemed like he WANTED to win.
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 216
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:03:43 AM
i do not have anything to deal with, much less with the scum of Barca. since before yesterday i barely switch TV on, do not read sporting papers, etc i do not really want to see them how they celebrate their title. it is always the same old song, you know, it takes a month more or less.

well my point about Messi is that he is very young at the moment, and he does have to show somthing more, you mention the Olympic medal, please! Olympic football is a joke! he MUST show something important in a World Cup, remember Zidane and others, Zidane won Champions League and World Cups.

as for Barca winning the treble, yes it is a fact, but there is a long, long, long way for them to reach Madrid: 31 Spain's leagues, 9 Europeans Cups or Champions League, etc
 kirk763
Msg: 217
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:11:49 AM
On a side note...did anyone pick up on the fact that in an interview in 2008 that Johan Cruyff claimed that Ronaldo is a better player than both George Best and Denis Law? I would be willing to agree with him that Ronaldo probably has more ability than Law...but George Best???? It does seem like an excessive comment to me, has anyone else heard about it or heard or read the interview? Or is the comment taken out of context perhaps?
 JasonVoorhees666
Msg: 218
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:17:26 AM
pedro schmecieheal is the greatest ever keeper I have ever seen, kahn is not in schmecheals league, go see the amount of match winning saves the great dane pulled off, in my view he is by far what I have seen the greatest ever keeper of his generation. lets see kahn play in a defence that had an ageing bruce pallister may berg johnsen. kahn played in a defensive side that was very well drilled at united schmecheal never had that.
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 219
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:57:43 AM
even Casillas is better than Schmeichel!
 JasonVoorhees666
Msg: 220
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:03:32 AM
pedro did you ever watch schmeicheal in action, go watch highlights of the newcastle game away in 1996. he was literly the last line of defence. schmecheal had everything, he had the precence. the height he could domminate his area and he was a leader, very vocal he would even put the fear into roy keane plus he made the goal so small. dnt compare cassillas with schmecheal because casillas is good but not ever as good as schmecheal. the greate dane will go down is history in the top 3 of the greatest ever keepers.
 kirk763
Msg: 221
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:27:30 AM
Cassillas ia a fine goalkeeper but he is nowhere near Peter Schmeichel. I'm a United fan so I'm obviously biased, but most people I've heard talking keepers would rank the great Dane as amongst the best to have ever stood between the posts...
 JasonVoorhees666
Msg: 222
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:36:30 AM
kirk look at what defenders schmecheal had to put up with after bruce and pallister patnership was broken, david may ronny johnsen henning berg a gary neville at full back that was not great at defending. lets see kahn have that type of poor qualitym schmecheal for me was uniteds match winner and I class schmecheal as a far more important factor than cantona, in my area we all were playing in goal trying to copy schmecheals style of goalkeeping thats how highly we thought of schmecheal, he was one player no united player manager or fan ever took for granted because he was that important. and without him united would not have won all those tropys in the 90s. what summed up schmecheals legacy was him captian united in the CL final he literly saved united in that match. look at the effect united had after he left it took united 6 years to get a decent replacement.
 Pedro 1976
Msg: 223
Posted: 5/29/2009 12:19:19 PM
i do know Schemeichel, just a great keeper.

Casillas has been recognised as one of the best, even the best in the last years. and i think Ferguson is one of those who admire and recognise him. also he has won 3 champions league with Madrid and you know with Spain.

to me Casillas and Khan have been the best keepers in the last years/decade
 hala-steve
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 12:34:33 PM
Yep, I know the Olympic Gold Medal is a joke compared to the real thing, but I just mentioned it because it is still an achievement...better than nothing!
Ronaldo...just name one Medal or Trophy he has won with Portugal besides personal accolade(s)?
I mean; inspiring his country to win something major...NOTHING!
But FIFA still recognised his contribution @ Club level and all that he won with MU before crowning him the FIFA World player of the year and others.
So like I said earlier...if it is based on what a player has done for his Country, then Ronaldo shouldn't be crowned FIFA World player of the year...that's my argument!

JasonVoorhees666
Msg: 225
Posted: 5/29/2009 1:11:23 PM
pedro I just dnt rate kahn or casillas ahead of schmecheal, the great dane was the complete goalie and what makes schmecheal the better keeper ahead of casillas is he is bigger can dominate his area and he is a leader, he was vocal at telling defences off when they did not do their jobs right. and he is better at catching balls from set pieces, also schmecheals throwings he could throw almost an entire pitch and for the counter attack his throwings to a the midfield or front players was deadly, the way schmecheal also positioned himself that he made the goal so small, that style I dnt think any goalie as ever even mastered.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.