Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > travelling partner list?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oldkid
Msg: 26
view profile
History
travelling partner list?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
As a time share traveler, I often wind up as 1 guy in a 2 bedroom condo. What a waste. Always have an empty couch even if only 1 bedroom. More than willing to share with the right person. Spent a week in Galviston on the beach by myself last winter. Need the list.
 demurediva
Msg: 27
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/14/2006 7:14:11 AM
I'm planning a trip to New Zealand soon...would love a like minded travel companion...not someone who absolutely cannot leave home without their GHD's!!!!
 99seattle
Msg: 28
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/16/2006 1:03:04 AM
I've met some interesting solo travelers on Travelchums.com

jon
Chiang Mai, Thailand
 ready2010
Msg: 29
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/22/2006 2:18:05 PM
What a good idea. I have travelled alone and with a partner. Sure, solo you can do what you want all the time, but you partner can have other/different/interesting ideas you might thought of yourself.

I've also seen that in some countries travelling with a partner of the opposite gender opens doors that might have otherwise remained closed.

Sure if you are alone it forces you to try to speak with the locals. But that can get a bit tiring and lonely.

I guess you'd have to find someone local who you could meet and spend a few days with to get to know. Otherwise half way through you might decide "what a jerk" and become a solo traveller again.
 smitten2meetu
Msg: 30
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/22/2006 8:54:19 PM
if you're going to travel with anyone, make sure you both are compatible in personality and various interest. I don't expect to be joined at the hip on my vacation, but you're going to be spending living space and activities together, and has a wide interest.

If you travel with someone who is opposite of you, it could make your trip long & difficult. I would also discuss before you leave, area's you might be on your own & explore for a day or longer, so when you do get there, it won't be surprise.

Be flexible, accomodating and willing to try different things, if you're not, the travel friend may never go anywhere with you again.
 svMichelle
Msg: 31
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/29/2006 9:04:07 AM
The Lonely Planet guide books are what I have used in Thailand, China, Mexico, Brazil etc but I use my sailing guides for the coastal towns.

This POF web site has quite a few sailors that I plan to look up for a Channel Islands trip in the planning stages this year. I will be leaving from San Diego, Calif in the spring.

Bill
 Anjaan
Msg: 32
travelling partner list?
Posted: 12/30/2006 3:56:02 PM
Its always better to travel with someone otherwise it can be rather lonely.Also in foreign lands you feel safer when in a group.
 Irish_nurse
Msg: 33
travelling partner list?
Posted: 1/1/2007 4:40:27 AM
Hey man, if you're on your way to Ireland give me a shout. Heck, contact me if you're going to eastern europe. I've never been so it'll be a new experience for both of us.
 alan13446
Msg: 34
Travelling with parner?
Posted: 1/1/2007 9:10:40 AM
[quote[Yep, I agree. 'The Lonely Planet' is almost 'The Bible' among (backpack) travelers

which is fine and dandy if you're 23....but many of us 40 - 50 year olds don't do that anymore....

I've been taking 2 weeks every fall and doing a "The Amazing Race" style trip to western Turkey for the past few years...let me tell you, it is an amazing feeling.
Sure, you can dress up and eat fine food on a cruise, or sit by a chlorine pool for 2 weeks with all you can eat and drink....if thats your thing, go for it...

However, for the same cost, I prefer having an adventure, not like what is on TV, but an adventure nevertheless...

For example, here is how one of my trips went:

-got a ride to Buffalo airport
-flew to LaGuardia
-took a bus to JFK
-flew 11 hours non stop to Istanbul
-two trains from the airport to the hotel....2 nights in Istanbul to acclimatize
-morning bus, 4 hours, to Gallipoli
-hired a taxi to drive me around the WW 1 battle sites
-ferry from european to asian side
-wait till 1 AM for bus to another southern city
-5 AM, switch buses
-5:05 AM, new bus - 1 hr ride
-6:15 am new bus
-10 AM resort town - rest
-next day, all day boat cruise with other europeans 10 AM - 6 PM, lunch included, $25
-next day, 4 hour bus ride to other resort city
-fly back to Istanbul, 1 hr, $60
- rest day
-bus to ancient city of Troy - 5 hours, return the same day

and so on...see, that to me was fun....may not be your cup of tea, but for me, it's the sense of discovery, adventure, not having anything planned, all spontaneous,

Planning on going back this fall to explore the northern Black Sea coast of Turkey...and when you do it alone, you meet and interact with more people along the way, aren't swayed by whiners and stick in the muds, and can plan your own agenda...

Got many pictures on line...let me know if this is appealing to you and I'll send you the links...

Cheers - happy travelling
 happyhearts
Msg: 35
Travelling with parner?
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:49:36 AM
boy that's the best... travelling without a plan.
My very first trip like this was a neighbor driving us to the airport at 2AM.
Caught the first plane leaving... it went East. PHiladelphia.
got to see Philly... wanted more.
Caught bus to JFK.
Caught first plane to Europe... London.
Drove to Oxford... had a blast in B&B's ....
Took Hovercraft from Dover to Calais...
(Had purchased Eurail when we realized we'd be in Europe)
Took trains all over Europe whenever, wherever for 8 wks.
Ended up in Venice
Flew back from Frankfurt.
No plans, no have tos.
I love and adore travel like that.
The adventures and people make it fabulous.
No partner now, but I still travel.
Want to go to Turkey next.
 sparklinglady1945
Msg: 36
travelling partner list?
Posted: 2/6/2007 6:33:48 PM
Hello, I am new here and never heard of such a list. I'd love to travel anywhere, how do I sign up for the list?
 The_Champ_Is_Here
Msg: 37
travelling partner list?
Posted: 2/6/2007 7:34:05 PM
I love Vegas and did it twice solo, and had a blast (Oct 2006 and Jan 2007) and planning my next solo trip there for June.
Never knew travelling solo could be great but it is. On your own agenda the entire time.
 Epic....
Msg: 38
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 2/7/2007 1:43:23 AM
I've always travelled with friends and it has always been a great experience but I'm startin to think a solo trip would be exciting.
Especially the do your own thing and create your own adventure...and guaranteed to meet some interesting characters.
 luv to laugh
Msg: 39
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 2/9/2007 8:54:36 AM
I would like to find such a list. I'm going to look up lonely travel and travel chums. I also don't like the fact that singles have to pay more. Last year, friends of mine went out to Nova Scotia on a two week vacation and I only had one week. I flew out to meet them and we all took the train back. I had a sleeper car to myself and had to pay the cost of two people. Singles don't get a break when it comes to traveling costs.

This year I'm planning on going to New York with my sister and her friends. Next year or the year after I would like to go to England or Scotland and would love to travel with someone. If my friends or family can't go, then I will be looking up these sites. I would go alone if I couldn't find anyone (maybe a tour) but it's safer and usually more fun going with someone else. I find it hard to find anyone to travel with. Either my friends can't afford to travel, (and I can only afford to pay my own way) or they are with partners and only want to travel with them, or we have different vacation times from our workplaces.

It would be nice if POF had a section for singles wanting to travel with other singles. I've read that some people are contacting the administrator on this subject. I think it would be a great idea. I agree with Smitten that you need to find someone compatible to travel with or it could be a long trip. Of course I would want to contact and meet the person first and see if we were compatible to travel together.

I'm also wondering if there are sites that you can contact someone from another country and stay with them and then if they want to come to Canada, then they stay with you. That way accommodation costs would be cheaper than a hotel and it would be a way of meeting a friend in another country. Does anyone know if this type of site exists and how safe is it. After all you wouldn't want to be unknowingly staying with a psychopath like murderer Paul Bernardo. I'm thinking of contacting the administrators myself if I don't here anything further in the near future.

Happy traveling everyone!

NoMoss
Msg: 40
travelling partner list?
Posted: 2/10/2007 4:20:35 PM
I think it would be a great idea for Plentyoffish to start a travel connections billboard. In the meantime there are lots of other "pay" sites, like travelchums.com where I have found travel partners (and continuing good friends).
 marotoo
Msg: 41
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 3/13/2007 7:54:24 PM
hello how are you? I was just reading about your post..wanting to find a travel partner..I am in the same predicament , as I am looking for a travel companion too.

I live in Burnaby..near Vancouver. Drop me a line if you are interested. Margaret
 pdxairport
Msg: 42
I would have my girlfriend with me
Posted: 3/15/2007 7:46:12 PM
That way I won't be lonely at night.
 Rafi92
Msg: 43
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 6/24/2007 6:20:02 PM
I am going to China in eptember and I am looking for a partner. I found good deal...
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > travelling partner list?