Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walking in Memphis
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Let him go hang with his friends and don't ask him the next time you see him what he did or even show the slightest concern ... He will tell you if he wants to ... There is the defining moment of space ... It being able to live without knowing every single moment of someone's life.

Hottest_of_the_Hot
Msg: 27
What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?
Posted: 11/15/2006 5:57:26 AM
- Don't call, don't e-mail, don't show up at his haunts. Disappear for now...

- Don't ask questions....don't badger his friends on what's going on...don't send your girls to find out what's going on....Disappear.
 wrencher77
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/15/2006 6:14:26 AM
Build him a nice heated garage, and fill it with toys and tools. Don't forget the pressure washer.......
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/15/2006 9:45:07 AM

Here's a few suggestions

When he's out with his friends, don't call/text him asking when he is going to be home. Makes him looked "whipped", even if he isn't.

If he's working on the 'puter or in the workshop, let him be!

Same thing goes for when he's at work. (I have seen co-workers who get a call every 30 minutes from their S.O.) It's not fair to the guy (or the girl if she's the one at work) to interrupt things with constant phone calls.

If he's doing things to improve himself (school, working out, reading, whatever) don't turn on the guilt ray. (Why aren't you spending more time with me, etc...)

Clay_Man
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/15/2006 9:54:33 AM
I think it's more just a matter of being reasonable. Few people want to feel completely smothered. I suppose it would depend on you really. I can't speak for the rest of you but I know that I enjoy it when some of my time is spent alone, not all of it, but some.
 kitkat60
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2006 10:00:49 AM
Let me turn this around a litle;

what if it's the women that is asking for her space, yet calls you asking if she can come by and saying I miss being with you?

How would you react to that? Would you say ok come over let's JUST talk? or SEE YA !
 Driven51
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/15/2006 10:05:09 AM
Give him ZERO attention unitl he contacts you.
 kitkat60
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2006 10:08:31 AM
Good suggestion but would'nt you think people would say, like the other guy did earlier, "he's whipped"?

I for one, could'nt care less what guys think of me, but after about 24hrs, if i realy have emmotions for that women, I would call. But if you hang up saying dont call me or anything else frustrated, I will give you another 2 days to cool off then call back, if same reaction? = it was nice ... bewbye !
 Dyna gal
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:27:19 AM
By letting him have it..........(If it's early in the relationship that is)

The simple equation is:
I just want to go home and relax (without you) = I'm just not that into you.

What's that saying: Oh, I'm sorry-----------Didn't see you through all the red flags I was
giving you.........

SteveHD
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/17/2006 11:22:26 AM
Tell him to get a hobby where he interacts with people. Then you do the same thing.

Tell him that you're interested in finding something for the two of you to do then ask him to look into it. Let him look into it and bring back some suggestions for you. It's not a rush so just let him take his time with it.

I know that a lot of times couples, especially new, play the 'you like me more than I like you' game. Drop it. Let the guy know you like spending time with him.

Now go around doing whatever it is you were planning on doing that day.

I always suspect there is something wrong in paradise when someone says they need space.

I agree, but that doesn't mean someone is up to no good or that the relationship is over.

Both men and women in a relationship need to avoid getting into a situation where they feel like they have to choose between being up one persons butt or doing their own thing.

my 2 cents
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/17/2006 11:27:10 AM
I use that term all the time, it means leave me alone I want to watch this show, don't interrupt me, just me leave alone for now. I usually let them know when I will be returning, though, which is a good idea for all those insecure women out there. So we're not trying to break it off with you, we just wanna hang with the boys, or work on our cars, or take a break from the world, not just you.
 Walking in Memphis
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 2:33:33 PM
Ther is a difference between giving someone thier "space " and checking in ... Everyone if they have feelings will be willing to check in and say hi ... It is not a bad thing.

But the fact remains that in this day and age people have less and less time with the priorities they have to have ... Work is more and more demanding, kids are involved with more and more things as parents are tryingto give something well rounded for experience, and let's not mention that somewhere is all of this there could be addtional education going on or even a personal life that has to balanced into all of this.

Sometimes giving someone thier space is simply accepting that the time is hard to find and that will make time for you as soon as humanly possible and that can be a hard thing to deal with ...

mick9597
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 8:00:48 PM
hook em up with 1 of your hot girlfriends!
 Sweet2DaTaste
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:41:49 PM
I say ask him straight up if he wants alone time.....if he says yes then give it to him.....if he says he wants to be with you but wants his space too then just BE there don't talk about anything, don't make errand runs with him just BE there....if he likes to read...or watch t.v....or play video games....just kick back on the couch, kick your heels up and just live a little not doing anything but watching him....Hey, you never know you might learn something about him or yourself....read a book if he's not into chatting....read your celeb mags...polish your toes....who cares just be in the same room without making it all about you....and if that isn't what he's looking for as his definition of space then he just might want you to shut up and ask (and really shut up and listen) "How was your day?" or " How's school?" or just ask him how his family's doing....Plain and simple: Stop, Think about him, and SHUT-UP!!! I'm a female I KNOW how we can be!
 good guy75
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/2/2008 12:52:52 PM
the best way is to leave him alone no calls no stopping bye leave him alone.but alot of women will not do this they think because a guy is upset that she did something wrong and alot of times its something else i nkow you need to nkow give him time he will tell you.
 Evenor
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/2/2008 1:06:21 PM
I have a really good question brought up in a relationship issue. Is it too much to ask of anyone to sit down either write an email or call for 5 minutes once a week just to say "Hi" and let them know how you are doing? Even on the busiest days a person can have I wouldn't think it would be so much to ask especially if it's only once a week for a few minutes. Yet I was being made out to be a "bad" guy because I asked for 5 minutes once a week which was no where near the 3 hour-a-day phonecalls I saw some people in the forums writing about...
 pofprofile101
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2008 5:52:26 PM
the best way to me, would be to literally tell me you sense I need some space and that you want to give it to me because you respect me and my needs and tell me that I can call you later. I would very much appreciate that kind of understanding from anyone especially my mate
 gnuru75
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/2/2008 6:46:46 PM
If you still want him in your life but wish to respect his need for space then it's my opinion you need to not call, email, write, drop by, or in any way initiate contact. If he then contacts you instead of talking about what has passed act positively about the present and future interaction.
 twinkle68
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/2/2008 8:08:23 PM
"Space" is purely individually interpreted....it can mean many different things to people.....such as "recharge time".....which I frequently need myself so totally get....or, need to let the work day fade away for a bit, which I am sure many of us understand......it may be that you are dating an introverted person who honestly needs that alone time to re-centre themselves, or, an extrovert who gets their energy from others (that may not be you sometimes)....or...... have things been too intense of late & this person just truly needs some space? If none of the above fit.....it is the answer that none of us want to know! Relationship done.
 sam-spade
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/2/2008 8:52:56 PM
Don't play with his hair. Don't ask him if he still loves you. Just don't be clingy.
 Schadenfreudian
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/2/2008 8:59:24 PM
That's easy! Turn on:

1. Star Trek (any of the insane number of series)
2. Dr. Who
3. Mission to Mars
4. Alien (any of the insane number of series)
5. 2001/2010
 NoMexShrek
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/4/2008 10:48:59 PM
When I wanted my space it came in a couple varieties:

1-The "you are clingy, I don't need you to be within 10 feet of me or on the phone every hour" type. This just means turn your attention-wanting dial back down off of 11.

2-The "this is really hard/I need to study, come back tomorrow/in an hour" type. Go shopping, go to the gym, just not here so I can concentrate thing.

3-The "you really need to get a hobby besides doing stuff with me" type. My ex wife basically refused to "let" me do anything without her. She did not work, her entire existence revolved around crafts and thinking of stuff for "us" to do. I do need to go to they gym and actually work out, I like riding my motorcycle without having to stop for you to pee every 10 minutes and in an hour you want to go home, was usually the case.

She tried going hunting with me. If anyone has ever heard the Bill Engvall skit about it, that was about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?