Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I can think of no greater hell on earth than to have to live with the knowledge that someone I truly loved and who depended on me had died because I wasn't man enough to come to their defense. I'd rather face death than that kind of hell.
 ya472
Msg: 52
Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?
Posted: 11/19/2006 9:30:29 AM
I can think of no greater hell on earth than to have to live with the knowledge that someone I truly loved and who depended on me had died because I wasn't man enough to come to their defense.

INTENT
People in the forces are putting their lives on the line, no doubt, but when push comes to shove, and faced with certain death, do people actually choose death ?

I am hoping I will never have to make that decision. I believe many people who do perform heroic acts, do not think or consider death, they just decide to act.

I have actually sat in an out-of-control vehicle, knowing nothing good was going to happen, but not for a second did I believe I was actually going to die. I have taken some pretty nasty falls, where death was very possible, but never thought about dying until after.

Almost every day, when renovating in a home alone, I actually risk death, but I try not to think about it. One accidental touch of a tool to a charged electrical wire would finish me.

HOWEVER, with all those considerations, and someone was at risk of dying, I would not sacrifice myself for them. I would attempt to rescue or save someone, but it would be foolish for two people to perish.

judypatudy
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/19/2006 11:05:29 AM
yes I have loved someone more than life
 chattyzero
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/19/2006 11:17:01 AM
In my fantasy I would like to have us both die together in intimacy. I have children. If I didn't have children I wouldn't die for anyone but myself, unless it was a Romeo & Juliet tragedy scenario. But itsn't living sometimes more tragic than dying. It takes courage to live.
 BRIANiac
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/19/2006 2:16:05 PM
I know quite a few people I would die for, not just ones I love in the romantic sense.
 sharabi_23
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/19/2006 2:30:16 PM
wouldn't that mean i would be dead now and unable to tell the story?
 ousu
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/19/2006 2:39:55 PM
Did I ever love someone enough to give my life for her/him?

Huh, what an idea. Definetely not, and I hardly would call it even love.
Children were not allowed here but I think we cannot cut them out... so, I could imagine to give my organs (and die) to my child if needed since her life expectancy is obviously longer than mine (but I would not be very happy with that idea, either). For my parents, not, for the same reason. For somebody else, no. - I do not believe in martyrdom since it is based on self serving purposes but on basic need to survive. OP mentioned later in her post "suicidal years" - exactly :)
 wolf river
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/19/2006 3:18:08 PM
I have been both married and had children, but was lucky enough to experience this rare form of love. Her name was Holly. Her young life came to an end in 2001, but not before she touched a number of our lives with her own special love. Our number is 4, and there was nothing we wouldn't do for her.
 eightsixfiveone
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/19/2006 3:53:03 PM

A man with a wife and children, should not even remotely think of doing something like that. You would think that he would have thought about the love he had for his family and the fact that his family needed him alive and would not have put his life in danger for a stranger. Yes, your family is meant to be way more important than a suicidal stranger.

well it is a good thing many people don't feel this way, police officers, firefighters, soldeirs, and others do this everyday. I guess if you know someone is trying to kill their self then that may come in to the thought process, but I would guess normally in these cases someone comes upon the scene to late to know why the person is in danger.

I'm not so sure that anyone "loves so much" to die for them I think it comes from a sense of duty. You feel responsible for them, and try to help.

Most of the time I think they are not choosing to die and hope that they don't, but they put themself in harms way to prevent harm to another. Whether that is someone you love, like or don't even know, you feel a responsibility to prevent harm from happening to them. Just stepping in can change the course of events.

Obviously, I've never died for anyone. I have put my self into situations to prevent others from getting hurt or killed, guess I've just been lucky...
 *buzz*
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2006 11:28:03 PM
Well OP, if you love someone you love them for what they are whether there is that society sealed statement attached to it ( ... until the death do us apart) or children - our nearest clones.

When life brings one to the situation when only another's action could make desirable change, I would tend to think that no one calculates pro & cons in order to take this action. You do it because you love. In my language - you do it in THE NAME OF LOVE. Then you know, if not discover the depth of your love.
 misseyes
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/19/2006 11:42:17 PM
Yes. Twice in this lifetime.
 Unwritten Book
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/20/2006 2:03:36 AM
...isn't that called getting married?

Kidding, kidding.

Once, a long time ago, somewhere far, far away I loved the most beautiful girl in the world. I remember this because I used to stare at her whenever she was in front of our kindergarden class for show and tell. Boy did I want to show her and tell her things, like how long and how fast I could run Anyways, one day me and a few friends were on the swings and she came over wanting to swing too. There were no empty ones so I promptly jumped off mine and gave it to her.

Ok ok, not my life but at 5 years old what is more important than the swing set??
 ShyCountryGuy
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/20/2006 10:04:29 PM
I think that I did once and I thought she loved me to, but I was wrong.
 ~AlbertazAngel~
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/20/2006 10:08:31 PM

if i did.. i wouldn`t be here right now.. .. kinda narrow down ur question plz..
 Whatwillittake
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/20/2006 10:38:10 PM
On the books, my deepest thoughts here exposed...
Yes twice now in my lifetime..got through the first one...God wouldn't let me kill myself no matter what I tried to do literally and I really did try to do it many times..........This time I wont even try...I don't have to...the night I signed the divorce papers a week ago.....I am already dead..

I'm just keeping my shell alive for the sake of my daughter
 blurose
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2006 1:25:37 AM
Hi Nipoleon,

An act of heroism usually involves training like the military. you are taught to respond in the field. "No man left behind etc" AN act of Bravery there is usually not time to think of your own personal endangerment. You just act. Love for mankind can create this kind of an imediate response. Not everyone has that capacity. I have watched while others did not respond as a building was burning and there was someone in the blding. It was without thought I entered the blding and retrieved this person. I was 23 years old. Everyone else stood around. I was not trained to respond that way I just did instinctively.

I suppose there is always room to debate.
 TulsaTallBlonde
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/22/2006 2:29:57 AM
I would do that indeed.
If i really love the man I'm with I'll walk through fire and back if it needed it.
Its just part of human emotion, and how you feel about the other.
So to answer the question, Yes I would. (and I have in the past)
 Midwestrebel
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/23/2006 11:55:09 PM
Oh, this is one of those romantic type questions that when asked, your suppose to say, “You bet, in a heart beat.” I have found in my travels around the country that the answer is different depending on where your at and who your with. Boston, New York and Chicago, if your in a bar getting drunk with your buds, at some point during the night, with people you’ve never met before, eventually you hear it yelled out, “Hey man, you know I would die for you!” Followed by a quick clank of the mugs and another drink.
All I can say is I would like to think I would, if the situation called for it. Most of the time being a single man, I think that the people I am with are worth more to there families and there children then I am to them. In the end I can’t answer this better then anyone else here because I don’t truly know, but I would like to think I would. But the question would not be about how much I loved them, but how much I respected them in order to follow though.
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/23/2006 11:55:55 PM
Ummm... guess not since I'm still here.
 Matt_
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/24/2006 2:46:54 AM
Yes sir....But sadly it was her that passed, I would have changed places in a moments notice.....Its an amazing feeling when you reach it too.
 mar814
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/17/2006 3:43:47 PM
I've only felt this way about my kids.
 Fireand Ice
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/17/2006 4:46:07 PM
Not yet.. but Im hoping one day
 Fractalwater
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/22/2006 10:52:20 PM
I'm still here, so apparently not.
 crazylilting
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/23/2006 1:21:28 AM
For me death is not the end and do not fear it. I would without hesitation want to survive the passing of anyone i Love so that they wouldn't suffer the loss of Love. The loss of someone they love.

To Love someone and die for them is much like romeo and julliet. A senseless tragedy.

crazylilting
 ~Brian~
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/23/2006 1:54:04 AM
Hard question to answer. First of all, how often do you find yourself in an opportunity to sacrifice yourself so someone else can live. Going into a potentially dangerous situation is a differen't thing. Although no less noble, you at least believe you can make it out alive.

Has there been anyone I would risk my life for? I'd like to think I would for anyone in my family. They've always been there for me, through thick and thin. Thats not just a single event, thats a life long commitment. I owe them my life, even though I know neither my mom or dad would want me to die in their stead. I thought I would have died for one of my ex's, but knowing what i know about her now, let's just say I changed my mind. As far as strangers, I've never really had a chance to find out. As some people have said, you can never truly know how you would react until you're in the situation.

All i know is that there are a lot of people who would die for someone they don't know from a hole in the ground. It's comforting to know there is still that much love in the world. Whether you call it brave, or stupid, well, that's your opinion.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?