Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VampicaX
Msg: 51
antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
antidepressants might have side effects as such, everyone is different and there are many different kinds out there to try untill you find the right one for you. alot of people dont understand depression to begin with because they have not gone through it themselves, thats understandable but knock some thing you have no idea about

There is different kinds of depression, servere depression, yes you need meds and there is nothing wrong with that. its like taking meds for your heart condition.

mine is purely medical and will have it for life, if i didnt take my meds i could not be the person Iam on them a active person.

If a person with servere depression wants to kill themselves are you going to risk their life just for the sake that the meds have minor side effects? like for real.
 richardph9
Msg: 52
antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health
Posted: 12/9/2006 6:31:07 AM
To add some unpleasant reading about the consequences of severe depression
follow this link.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/harmaway.cfm
NIMH: In Harms Way: Suicide in America

This is a grim problem that is not adequately addressed.
 Force~of~Nature
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/19/2006 7:25:27 PM
Granted, anti depressants may not be GOOD for you, but, being depressed to the point of not being able to function properly and possibly committing suicide is better?

I agree, many doctors do write perscriptions to easily, but it is up to each person to take charge of their own health by asking questions, researching, not being afraid to get second opinions and exploring options if they so wish.

I was diagnosed in my 20's with clinical depression after a few visits with my doctor and verbal and written tests for depression, and went the anti depressant route. Within 2 months almost every person in my life commented on how good it was to see me back to normal ~ that is how drastically my personality was being altered due to the depression.

Unfortunately, I have recently found out I am bi polar ~ which is commonly mis-diagnosed as depression early on ~ and after alot of research and talking to a variety of doctors I am on a mood stabalizer that again has everyone in my life glad to see my mood swings, flakey behaviour, temper outbursts etc. leaving because that is so far from my real personality it is like I have been living in someone else's skin for months, and she is someone I grew to hate.

Honestly, I feel the drugs are saving my life, regardless of the risks/side effects and posting something as opinionated and potentially harmful to someone who could be in serious need of help and see this and be swayed by the prejudice that already surrounds the topic....scares me.
 Manseekscompanion
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/20/2006 6:29:34 PM
From my personal experience, anti-depressants are bad news.. Advice to all guys: If she is on anti-depressants, steer clear!!! I have found there are major underlying problems such as bad experiences from childhood, or very low self-esteem. The drugs in no way fix the problem, and are just a band-aid solution.

The person needs to face up to the problem, and DEAL with it, either by themselves, with friends, or seeks counselling from a professional. Otherwise the problem just sits under the carpet, bulging, and is never solved, while untold side effects from the drugs are destroying the body.
 Michaelann
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/20/2006 7:17:24 PM
to: force~of~nature,
anti-depressants can indeed save lives & help people, as long as they are prescribed correctly. They were
originally developed to help people with clinical depression & are useful & helpful for treating that condition.
The problem is that doctors often prescribeit for organic depression & that can be very dangerous. Organic
depression is when you experience a difficult/traumatic situation & become depressed as a result. There is
no evidence that people with organic depression, have imbalanced brain chemistry. And it is often in these
situations, that the drugs cause dangerous side effects. Doctors need to be more careful & so do patients.

I do agree with manseekscompanion, that if your depression is caused by something, you need to fix it,
because the depression is only a symptom. Dealing with the problem, will often fix the depression.
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2006 8:43:05 PM
http://www.depression-guide.com/diet-depression.htm

Here is a link to some information about diet and depression.

Happy Holidays,
Kevin
 Force~of~Nature
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/20/2006 11:39:28 PM
Believe me, I am not advocating wide spread use of pills ~ I won't go to a doctor who pulls out the prescription pad for a sniffle, and many people do abuse 'bandaid' drugs instead of dealing with problems. I have no "underlying" causes ~ no abuse, sexual or otherwise, grew up in a happy stable middle class family, was popular in school yadda yadda yadda.....and depression would come on from nothing to full on despair over nothing in the space of an hour....THAT is not attributable to normal life problems, or diet.

My point is that there will always be those who think it is "all in our heads", or we are just not being strong or that there is nothing physically wrong because it can't be seen and it adds to the stigma and fear people who could get help have to put up with and it shouldn't be that way.

It is the same as telling someone with MS they are just being lazy on days they can't control their muscles enough to get out of bed.

PS Thanks for the links ~ some of the info in them is interesting!
 ironpuppy92765
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/21/2006 8:21:30 PM
Hello Steve,

I enjoyed reading your message and agree with you very much. Antidepressants can affect everyone differently, and I experienced similar symptoms as you did. I took antidepressants for 14 years due to general anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Then I discovered Dr. Mercola and the nutrition program that he emphasizes "Metabolic Diet Typing". All my life I had been eating what I thought was very healthy and what was recommended by the mainstream nutritional society (i.e., whole grains, fruits, veggies, low fat). Though this nutrition program may be healthy for about 1/3 of the population, it actually fueled my anxiety attacks. My diet now consists of high protein/high fat through organic grass feed beef, pastured raised chickens, raw milk, coconut oil, raw butter, some fruit, seeds, and veggies. 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carbohydrates. I feel better than ever and extremely relaxed and drug free.

Thanks and Take Care,
Todd
 ironpuppy92765
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/21/2006 9:02:48 PM
Nutrition is a very interesting field. Though society has defined what a healthy diet should consist of, or not consist of, in reality we do not know what a healthy diet really is...we don't know what the truth is (we only think we know). I been studying nutrition for 20 years, and come to a feeling that good nutrition is highly individualized. One man's health food is another man's poison. The trick is to figure out what is healthy for you. I personally believe that the program called "Metabolic Diet Typing" which was developed by Wolcott (Dr. Mercola practices his program) is in the right direction of eating healthy. Basically, healthy for some people will be eating mostly unprocessed carbohydrates (with some protein/fat), while for others it will be eating mostly unprocessed protein/fats (with some carbohydrates). Check the book out and let me know what you think.

I was concerned initially about Mercola's advertising of products (i.e., is he out for the buck). But after watching him in several lectures, doing my own research, and trying some of his products, I come to trust a lot of what he says. I tell ya, one product he sells is an alarm clock that wakes you up slowly by a light that gets brighter and brighter (simulates the affect of the sun rising at dawn). That's the best alarm clock ever in that I wake up slowly, gradually, and peacefully (unlike the traditional buzzer alarm which creates the fight or flight response).

Todd
 BamaMan123
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/22/2006 3:55:16 PM
I took antidepressents for a little while and I had side effects at first but they went away. The only side effect I had that stayed for a while was weight loss which I did not complain about at all lol. I eventually did quit them cold turkey and had no withdrawel effects at all and it has been a couple of years and the symptoms are gone. I have had a coupld of times where I thought they were coming back but nope. The one I took was Celexa 40mg a day. It was cheap, effective, and no side effects other than weight loss which was only about 10lbs.
 morecheersmorebeers
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/22/2006 4:17:30 PM
i completely agree with mmmkissing i have a friend on anti-depressants and they havn't done anything except for make him more moody and even more mixed up then before, i think a proper diet would have benefited him 10 fold over any sort of pills he could've taken.
 fitchick
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/22/2006 8:49:38 PM

From my personal experience, anti-depressants are bad news.. Advice to all guys: If she is on anti-depressants, steer clear!!! I have found there are major underlying problems such as bad experiences from childhood, or very low self-esteem. The drugs in no way fix the problem, and are just a band-aid solution.

The person needs to face up to the problem, and DEAL with it, either by themselves, with friends, or seeks counselling from a professional. Otherwise the problem just sits under the carpet, bulging, and is never solved, while untold side effects from the drugs are destroying the body.

So what about when bad experiences from childhood or very low self-esteem isn't the problem, hmmmm?

You need to learn more about something before you make judgements on someone else's health.
 Manseekscompanion
Msg: 63
Anti-depressants are TOTALLY bad for you health
Posted: 12/28/2006 5:16:45 PM

So what about when bad experiences from childhood or very low self-esteem isn't the problem, hmmmm?

fitchick: Then look for alternative remedies, especially diet related as mentioned by someone above... Drugs should not be the "cure all and end all", but a last resort - and then try to get off them ASAP.
 sprawl2
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:42:25 PM
http://www.drugsandyourmind.com/

anyone who says antidepressants aren't bad needs to read that^
 Outdoor2
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2006 7:17:35 PM

My diet now consists of high protein/high fat through organic grass feed beef, pastured raised chickens, raw milk, coconut oil, raw butter, some fruit, seeds, and veggies. 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carbohydrates. I feel better than ever and extremely relaxed and drug free.

You may feel better today, but with a diet such as yours, your heading for heart disease.

I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion that the first diet you were on fueled your anxiety attacks?

I see from your next post you have done some research on nutrition. Have you heard of
T. Colin Campbell, PhD, or Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. ?
True research scientists....they are not "out for a buck".

From what I understand, there are more pharma. lobbyists in Washington than politicians.

They're not out to "fix" you...they're out to give you a "fix"...

Afterall....they have their bottom line to consider.

Besides the fact...the FDA approves drugs based on reports given to them by the company attempting to have the drug approved!

How many drugs have been approved in the last 10 yrs....flooding the market as the next cure...the company makes millions (if not billions)....only to be recalled because it is deadly.
These guys push to not have a drug recalled until they've made their money back...cripes...sometimes I think they are worse than Columbian drug lords...they do it under the cloak of a legal enterprise.

ADD? Blame it on Sesame Street, and T.V. in general. Teaching kids in 30 second sound bites in no way develops long term thinking/problem solving habits. We now see it in adults. So what do we do about it? Give them a pill! But why a pill? Maybe because we're losing our ability to think of the underlying reasons, let alone the long term consequences?
Utter stupidity!
 fitchick
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:07 AM

fitchick: Then look for alternative remedies, especially diet related as mentioned by someone above... Drugs should not be the "cure all and end all", but a last resort - and then try to get off them ASAP.

Meh. My birth control pill is probably worse for me then taking this medication. I'll take my chances with it and get better. And I did and no longer take them.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:38:24 PM
Lets face it, all drugs are toxic to your body, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks... at other times... doctor laziness and patient desperation and ignorance... JMO.
 sprawl2
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/31/2006 3:02:07 PM
Ironpuppy:

Stick to your diet and ignore outdoor.

There is nothing wrong with your current diet.
 couldusecompany
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/31/2006 7:49:07 PM
ok... here are the facts. I know firsthand, beause I know what I've experienced and if anyone wants to try to tell me differently, I don't want to hear it.

(Sorry to start in this thread so rudely.)

I've dealt with depression in my past. Since I was perhaps around 14 or so. I've been on a few different antidepressents. And I will agree - some have side effects. Ranging from severe (makes depression worse, and potentially suicide. Which is more likely due to the depression anyway) all the way up to minor things like dry mouth, etc.

I've dealt with moderate side effects myself. I remember taking one antidepressant that made my head fuzzy so I couldn't think. That can't be good for you.....

But understand something. I've gone from feeling like the skys were always dark, no matter *how* I tried to think, and wanted to die every minute I was alive, all the way up to actually being happy in my life.

This is not a "placebo effect" here people. This is medical science. And it works.

Yes there are side effects, and some really suck ass. But side effects are expected for any drug... especially one that can make your mind think the way it was meant to think.

I understand there will be people who advocate therapy as well. Of course, this can be useful. The idea of therapy, in my opinion is to basically try to have someone somebody they can talk to openly, and who will suggest alternate solutions to their issues.

This is useful if the person cannot think logically for themselves. But most of us can. At least, I'd like to think so. But what happens when you think, and you *know* how you are thinking is not right, and you *know* HOW you should be thinking, but you simply can't?

And these are where drugs, in my opinion, are required. To get the brain working properly again.

And you know what? I've noticed nearly no side effects at all. And I'm not about to drop dead next week because of them. And maybe I'll be on them for the rest of my life. Who knows. I'll try without them one day. Sounds almost like an addiction. And if it is, I don't care. I'm happy.

But I still haven't found anyone off this site. What the heck? Revealing I'm on antidepressant's isn't going to help. lol
 Danger-Dave
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/1/2007 8:08:01 AM
All medicines are bad for your health , and its illegal to market anything as a cure
atleast in the u.s and canada it is, because the medical buisness is a buisness like any
other, they will take you for an arm and a leg if they have the chance.. "cured" patients dont spend money
 screamsofnoreply
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/1/2007 1:58:24 PM
antidepressant/anxiety medication is the devil. i too developed horrible insomnia. became more hungry, gained over 50 lbs in less than 2 years and ive been thin my entire life. it screwed up my metabolism for life, and i highly blame the antianxiety/depressant medication for that. im now 50lbs lighter but i do so by eating right and exercising. i hate pills, i dont reccomend them, they do more harm than good.
 couldusecompany
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/1/2007 11:26:28 PM
^^^^ I believe this is very narrow-minded Screamofnoreply. I mean, obviously in your case this was not a good choice and I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the weight gain and all. I'm glad to hear you were able to get healthy again. Obviously the side effects were much more pronounced with you than most, and although it is difficult to prove it was the pills, I'm hardly going to deny the strong possibility.

But still, I don't know about you, but I'd still rather want to be alive and be 50 pounds overweight than being thin and wanting to die.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/2/2007 12:26:07 AM
There are other methods to help a person through depression... these medications are simply overprescribed. Should something that is toxic to your body be a first choice? Yes, they work and are extremely beneficial in some cases, but to make people believe they are the only answer by handing them out like candy is terrifying in my opinion. Do you realize that there is virtually an entire generation of children who are on some type of psychotropic medication? What kind of adults will they become??
 tango-shoes
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 7:36:16 AM
They wanna get you hooked on some legal shit! They just keep on naming symptoms until they name you that you f-u-c-kin' got.

It's like: are you sad, are you lonely, you got athletes foot? Are you hot, are you cold, what you got? Ya want this pill huh, motha****a? You gotta take this pill!

And they don't even tell you what the pill does, you see a lady on a horse, or a man in a tub... And they just keep namin' symptoms: are you depressed, are you lonely, do your teeth hurt, what the ****?
I saw a commercial the other day that said, "Do you go to bed at night and wake up in the mo'nin?"
Oh sh*tthey got one! I got that! I'm sick, I need that pill!
 CosmicDare
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:38:29 AM
@ babylonia, have you ever taken and then tried to come off of these drugs?

Anti-depressants ARE addictive..most literature states that they are not but that's because who would want to take an addicting drug???
I personally had an awful withdrawal from Paxil. I took it for 2 years because of PTSD and there came a time when I wanted to see what I felt like without it..if I could function normally. I followed the Doctors instructions and cut back slowly by like 5 - 10 mg a day but it was still insane. I threw up, had awful headaches, had chills, alternated between not being able to sleep enough and not being able to sleep for like 36 hours. The worst was panic attacks and not being able to breathe. One night I actually was convinced that someone was trying to break into my apartment. It took like 6 weeks and I was a horrible mess the whole time and barely functionable. And my situation is not isolated.. I honestly know at least 7 other people who had a horrible time trying to get off anti-depressant drugs. Any doctor will tell you that there are huge risks when coming off of these drugs and that it can be very dangerous even though they won;t use the term "addicting". But what else would you call it besides dependancy??
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health