Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hoirm
Msg: 101
view profile
History
antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I addressed my concerns about AD's to my Psychiatrist yesterday. . .
I've been on them for a bit more than 3 weeks and he was saying that AD's are only a temporary band aid and suggested I should get off them slowly.
According to him my issues should be approached through Psychiotherapy sessions.
 Flyers_Phan
Msg: 102
view profile
History
antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health
Posted: 3/30/2007 1:16:25 PM
glad to hear your psychiatrist gave you sound advice
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/30/2007 1:27:50 PM
^^ I echo that sentiment... the advice that psychiatrist gave is uncommonly sound!!
 Misty038
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/15/2007 4:54:13 AM
I cant help but think about all the vets that have watched there best friends die.
I just dont see how a healthy diet and vitamins is going to help ease the pain they feel.
Antidepressants for them arent the total answer some will need therapy as well.
I also cant help but think about those that have been raped by family memebers. There as well a person may need therapy and for some of these people antideressants can help greatly.
Everyone has there good days and there bad but until the bad take over the good antidepessants arent the answer.
If I was a doctor I would want to do whatever I could for someone severly depressed to help them as fast as possible telling that person go home eat healthy and take vitamins and you will be fine is crazy
Also lets not forget we live in a sue crazy time so some doctors are feeling pushed to perscribe antidepessants. Do nothing and the person dies lawsuit time.
 whitestarmama
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/15/2007 8:15:57 AM
i don't think people who have gone through bad experiences necessarily need antidepressants more than people who haven't. i've had depression since i was 7, and was first sexually assaulted at 14. did it change the nature or severity of my depression? no. i think in some cases it would compound the problem, but i think in general the two are only loosely correlated.

i'll just repeat what i've always said. do what you need to do. go with what works, and attack it from as many sides as you can. if diet, exercise, vitamins, counselling, and other non-pharmaceutical methods aren't doing enough for you, absolutely take the antidepressants and don't feel ashamed. if you do need antidepressants you should ALSO do the other therapies to help reduce, as much as possible, the drugs you'll need.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/15/2007 12:37:55 PM
Thankfully, I work for an agency which is very conservative about prescribing antidepressants....Any foreign substance in the body should be regarded with caution...The rule of thumb for me has always been patient choice and level of functioning...If both are in check and the person feels relatively functional in their life (gets to work and school and cares for family most of the time), they can utilize psychotherapy alone instead of taking medication...If , however, they cant utilize recommendations in therapy, particularly CBT stuff for mood disorders, and are extremely depressed/suicidal, then often theres no choice but to go on antidressants for a limited time until they function better again...I look at it that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink...If they are too depressed to follow any therapy recommendations and are losing their job/relationships/school, sometimes its better to take meds..
 sue9
Msg: 107
Posted: 5/13/2007 9:57:12 AM
I do agree to a certain extent about anti-depressants as i have been on several since i was 17 and i am now 31,,it took all these years to discover the one that suited me the most,,i must admit they have helped stabilise my moods and contol my panic attacks, but there are many down sides to taking them like lack of sleep,low sex drive,increased heart rate and headaches,,all of which i have exsperienced,,but before i took the medication that i am currently on,,i was unable to leave my home and was very low in myself to the extent of being suicidle,so they have helped in a really big way,infact they have made my life bearable again,,and i can finally start living again and take my kids out for walks and to the park,,and they are a lot happier that there mum is smiling again. But i would really spend a long time with your doctor before even discussing anti-depressants as i know that there are many alternative therapys out there that doesnt require tablets,,,i am now slowy reducing my tablets and im finding life a lot more easier .
 kezo69
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 8:22:49 AM
LOL i havent either..this is interesting though...
 Oregondaisy
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/5/2007 5:34:24 PM
Sorry, I haven't read every page of this thread. I can say from personal experience though
that I was able to get off the antidepressants once I started regular exercise. It was really hard to wean off of them. I have never felt better since I learned to benefit from
endorphins rather than medication. I am thrilled to be off them. I am sure they are one of the causes of weight gain, as well as a lot of other undesireable side effects .
 Blueguy21
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/6/2007 7:51:48 PM
Just thought I'd point out to everyone in this thread that "chemical imbalances" in the brain do not exist, because they have not been biologically proven to exist. If you ask a licensed therapist/psychiatrist, they will tell you that there is no biological test to determine that someone has a chemical imbalance in their brain responsible for their depression. People either have problems in their brains (birth defects probably or disease), not to mention a lot of people these days just simply live depressing lives and expect these so called miracle drugs to help them out when all they do is probably re enforce in the patients mind that they are "not well" because they have to take medication, which in my theory prolongs the persons depression. I think it is rare when anti depressants actually help or are needed.

My EX girlfriend from a little while ago spouted quite a bit how depression runs in her family (If I had a dollar for every time I heard that..), and how she needs her meds and bla bla bla. The fact of the matter is, the girl was really (excuse my french) screwed up, not trying to be mean just trying to enforce my theory.

The girl had an unwanted (or so she claims) abortion about a half a year before meeting me and apparently it haunted her, she then claimed to have a form of multiple personality disorder that took over whenever her ex was mentioned or near her (she didnt say it was MPD, it was just obvious when she had an episode in front of me one night).

So yeah I firmly believe that in MOST cases, that the person is simply living a depressing life and that it is up to them to get themselves out of it (if they can that is). But I won't deny that there are disorders of the brain that can cause depression, I just think it's more rare than people think.
 upfront1974
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/8/2007 11:54:25 AM
Antidepressants can and will take a toll on your body and most people walk into them totally aware for the main reason being the consequences can not be as bad as the hell they are living through now...when suicide becomes the best option you will do whatever it takes to get past it no matter of the risk involved.

Some antidepressants are very addictive. Do a quick search on Effexor and Paxil lawsuits involving withdrawl or discontinuation and see the number of people who have gone through great difficulty getting off these two drugs in particular. It is not a fun process.

People keep talking about diet and excercise which I completly agree are important but when a strong enough depression has hit leaving your bed is a massive battle to undertake.

Doctors are too quick to hand out prescriptions for a "bad moment" that might very well pass without drugs just by working through it. But for some of us going through major depression, antidepressants do give us that little kick in the butt to be able to actually do the work required to get through it.
 Patosu
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/10/2007 6:16:15 PM
Ok People...want some good advice...in fact this is the best advice you'll ever get in your entire lifetime...ready?Go to Amazon.com and obtain the books entitled "The Wellness Revolution" by Paul Zane Pilzer and Discover Wellness...forgot who that author was/not gonna look now.

Also here's a Christmas gift for all the sick people out there...Ready?

http://www.mercola.com
http://www.ConsumerLabs.com
http://www.tni.com/cosinton
http://www.NoniResearch.com
http://NonihealthInfo.com

Merry Christmas
 hybrid vigor
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/10/2007 6:22:43 PM
Wow, yeah anti depressants are horrible!, staying depressed is so much healthier. im talking about clinical depression. im convinsed that this is either a scientology propaganda tool or, another person trying to sell snake oil.
 mmmkissing
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/29/2008 9:43:52 PM
Bingo there. Oh in Australia bingo means spot on. Good one blueguy21 . Many psychiatrists say the chemical imbalance thing is a total myth. The governing body for Psychiatrists in the USA says on their website there is no known proof of a chemical imbalance.

Not all, but in my cases the effects of whats in our food and drinks is the problem. EG virtually even soft drink ( SODA ) and juice has a preservative called SODIUM BENZOTE . number 211 This combinded with numbers starting with E has a huge effect on brain function. Especailly with developing brains. Hello anyone catching on here . These chemicals are causing wide spread health, and behavioural problems world wide.

Ill leave with this. The armish communities, the villagers in deep china and many others . You will find there is no autism, ADD, arthritis, and many of the western worlds many diseasers and health problems. These communities eat mainly all organic foods , nothing synthetic or artificial would pass their lips .
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/30/2008 3:58:14 AM
Boy, there are some seriously misinformed and naive people in this thread.

If you had a physical illness, would you refuse medication because it might have side effects? Mental illness is real. Those of you poo-pooing antidepressants have not had any real exposure to mental illness. Clinical depression, manic depression, schizophrenia etc. are just as crippling in life as any serious physical malady and can be life threatening.

Thank God there now exists more knowledge of brain chemistry. There was a time when the only thing that could be done for mental illness was a lock-up in an asylum.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/30/2008 11:39:08 AM
^^There are two sides to every coin.. yes, medication can be immensley helpful in certain situations as in the case of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, etc.. where there is an actual organic imbalance... however..

Many people are depressed because of an abusive past they have not dealt with, because they hate their life and don't know how to change it, because they are experiencing what could be termed a "dark night of the soul"... etc... drugs in this case are the equivalent of a band aid on a deep and festering wound..

Sometimes taking an antidepressant can be just the thing a person needs to give them the energy and impetus to seek counseling and make changes in his/her life... at which point the drug is no longer necessary..

But some use it as a crutch, and I have a HUGE problem with the fact that medications which alter brain chemistry (not to mention the various side effects) are being handed out like candy.. when many times the cause of a person's depression is NOT an imbalance...

And what are we showing our children? If you feel bad, just take a pill honey..

And they will.... and they do... and it sickens me to the core.
 someplace***
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/30/2008 12:05:56 PM
^^^^^^^^
I've got to agree with that post.

Sometimes taking an antidepressant can be just the thing a person needs to give them the energy and impetus to seek counseling and make changes in his/her life... at which point the drug is no longer necessary..

But some use it as a crutch, and I have a HUGE problem with the fact that medications which alter brain chemistry (not to mention the various side effects) are being handed out like candy.. when many times the cause of a person's depression is NOT an imbalance...
I've got to agree that it's alarming that such medications are handed out too quickly.

I think that for many people, anti-depressants are the answer. But for many people they're not.
Perhaps a person may just need to alter their lifestyle in some ways, to overcome a slight depression? I'd hate to think that someone may take anti-depressants all of their life when in reality all the person needed was to a better diet, a little exercise, and reduce the level of anxiety in their life. Or perhaps a person may benefit from counselling?
If nothing else works, to help a person beat depression, than I'd think anti-depressants are a solution that should be looked into. But I'd think this should not always be considered the 1st method to try.

Prescribing anti-depressants too quickly, to a person who may not need them can possibly cause further damage.
If a person's showing signs of depression, I'd think it's better to determine the cause of the depression, before assuming it can be cured with a general anti-depressant. Someone who's depression is a symtom of bi-polar disorder, or seasonal affective dis-order, won't benefit from an anti-depressant.
(Although I'm not an expert on this) I think it can actually be dangerous to a bi-polar or schizophrenic person if they were mistakenly diagnosed as "depressed" and giving an anti-depressant, rather than treating the actual illness which is affecting them
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/30/2008 1:39:59 PM

Perhaps a person may just need to alter their lifestyle in some ways, to overcome a slight depression? I'd hate to think that someone may take anti-depressants all of their life when in reality all the person needed was to a better diet, a little exercise, and reduce the level of anxiety in their life.

You have doctors who prescribe antidepressants for what you have described above???! That is alarming! Where do you live? The signs of clinical depression are clearly different from "slight depression".

(Although I'm not an expert on this) I think it can actually be dangerous to a bi-polar or schizophrenic person if they were mistakenly diagnosed as "depressed" and giving an anti-depressant,

Well, you're almost an expert. Antidepressants can trigger a manic phase in a bipolar.
As for schizophrenia, I don't know. My Mom was schizophrenic. Her first episode was triggered by post-partum depression - untreated post-partum depression.

I think that one of the problems in the mental health area (at least in Canada) is the lack of adequate therapists.
 Flyers_Phan
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 10:56:05 PM
The signs of clinical depression are clearly different from "slight depression".

yes but general practitioners are not highly trained in treating depression or mental illness, and it seems in many instances, it is the GP who is prescribing the meds, not a psychiatrist. I've also found it difficult to stay off meds, I've been diagnosed as having dysthymia, and when the depression is gone, i no longer wish to be on them, but months later it returns. I believe that these meds alter your neurotransmitters and receptors to the point that they cannot function properly, so one is forced to stay on them. I dunno if there is any hardcore evidence to support that claim as its my own experiences that I base it on. I just don't wish to stay on meds my whole life as it can't be safe, just as antipsychotics can cause tardive dyskinesia with prolonged use, and a host of other problems.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 12:01:52 AM

yes but general practitioners are not highly trained in treating depression or mental illness,

More like....not trained at all!
Nor do they get any training in nutrition.

The pharma industry has no interest in "fixing" you....their only interest is selling you another "fix".

Their pockets are very deep and they hold great sway over how drugs are developed, approved, and of course, marketed.

With that being said, there are instances where a pill may become the last, perhaps only resort.

Unfortunately, it is becoming the first resort.
 mmmkissing
Msg: 121
Posted: 4/3/2008 11:13:14 PM
Goodone buddy. You are so spot on with your comments.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 122
Posted: 4/4/2008 12:18:08 AM
I've suffered from social anxiety most of my life but didn't realize there was anything I could do about it until recently

I've been on Paxil for a few years now and it's helped me a lot - although it does sedate me and I don't like that aspect of it - it's better than having anxiety like I did before
 satx78218
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 10:10:10 AM
There is a long-term, on-going debate over whether antidepressants actually work vs placebo.

There is no debate about their side-effects. mental dulling, drowsiness, lack of energy, lack of affect (no good or bad or any feelings), loss of libido, and a recent report with a linking antidepressant to TII diabetes. But placebos have no side effects!

A recent report said antidepressants don't work any better than placebo, except for the most depressed who have with actual chemical imbalance. Here's typical back-and-fort:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20080227/antidepressants-no-better-than-placebo

Another:

http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2001/425/1

I can't find it now, but a report said even shrinks agree that exercise works just as well as antidepressants. But they don't get their cut prescribing antidepressants, and popping pills is easier than exercise, which the docs know most people won't do.

As always, a darn Tower of Medical Babble, totally confusing.

One thing you can be sure of: anybody pushing antidepressants like APA and individual shrinks are certainly on the big take from BigPharma. For-profit medical care isn't about care, it's about profit.

In general, the less drugs you take, the better for you.

Try 30 minutes of strenuous aerobic exercise, a whole foods diet while cutting out all the chemical food-like substances and all processed industrial food-like substances, and eat a substantial, low-glycemic breakfast.
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 2:08:43 PM
Antidepressant drugs were developed as a result of research on people who had committed suicide. It was found these people had less serotonin producing neurons in thier frontal lobes than people who died from other causes. These drugs like prozac, paxil, celexa etc. are designed to decrease the rate of absorbtion of serotonin in a person's brain so that more is avialable. It might be an assumption that depression and suicide are linked but it seems a fair one. I can agree depression might be over diagnosed because what a psychiatrist sees is directly related to what a patient says.
Emperical tests like PET scans can be done to assess the amount of serotonin present in a persons brain but try getting your insurance company to pay for that for everyone who feels depressed. I think the general practice is to err on the side of safety so most psychiatrists will perscribe an antidepressant for someone reporting depressive symptoms rather than risk having them die from suicide. In any case having the appropriate amount of serotonin in your brain is no guarantee that your symptoms of depression will be forever gone. You are who you are because of what you've experienced through your senses; how you've assimilated ,learned and made sense of that input; what your biophysiology is and what your genitic makeup is. All too often we feel bad and look for a magic cure without really getting involved because it requires work. ' Just give me a pill doc and make it go away but I don't want to get involved' These medications if prescribed appropriatly are similar to putting gas in your car, You still have to drive it and decide where you want to go.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/5/2008 1:56:29 PM
^^^^ That's exactly what was causing my anxiety - the seratonin was being reabsorbed back into my system too quickly so I wasn't getting the benefits from it

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > antideressants are TOTALLY bad for you health