Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 markawelch
Msg: 26
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girlPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Hey, it's Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. He owns a mansion and a yacht.
 gbg1964
Msg: 27
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:36:05 PM
You had better be a deaf chick, otherwise, I am gonna have to rip you a new ***hole.

It isnt hard to date a deaf girl, or a deaf man. Is it hard to date a hearing one, or a blind one?

Proof, and fact...

Deaf ppl make better drivers. Deaf ppl dont often get headaches. They can keep better concentration than a hearing person.

Yes, I am hearing, and yes I know sign language. Yes I have totally deaf friends.

Sign language is reletively easy to learn, most of it is common sense.
 jpl3447
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:45:57 PM
gbg1964 -- relax girl she posted earlier that she is deaf.

Its ok I am deaf too and know how protective the deaf community can be.

Deaf ppl make better drivers...

I had always thought there were benfits to being deaf!
 markawelch
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:55:15 PM
Calmly gbg,

regardless if she is actually deaf or not, this forum has produced a nice discussion of ideas and experiences.
 Frrosty
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/31/2005 9:59:16 PM
WAIT!!

I just remembered that the girl who turned me down was not deaf..she was blind.

*shrugs*

If I remain single, I will probably be turned down by a deaf girl too though. In time my friends....in time.

*Sigh*
 Ultrapig
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/31/2005 10:16:56 PM
rofl! we may have the beginnings of why she turned you down frosty!

[frosty passes blind girl note]

[blind girl drops note and walks off]
 Ezzee
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2005 10:42:31 PM
OK, so I have dated a deaf girl. I know sign language and it was totally great. I have to be honest on this one. I told her I envied her sometimes because she didn't have to listen to everything in the background.

For the record, I've also dated a blind girl. That was awesome too. I do know braille, and braille is easy to learn if you take the time to learn it.

I'm not sure which I prefer better, but I would be with either or again.
 secretsurrender
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/1/2005 10:09:26 AM
Markawelch- One of my closest friends since I was 6 is blind. About a month after we met at school I became fascinated with her braille typewriter and her special ed teacher offered to help teach me. Katie (the blind girl) started out typing the letters of the alphabet and numbers out on a sheet of paper with a special typewriter, and then I would sit with those and study the differences. Then, as she became more comfortable using the typewriter she wrote me letters, and although I initially had to use the sheet with the letters on it to figure out what she was saying, it only took me about a month (from that first sheet) to be able to read braille.

She sends me letters (in braille) now that we've moved apart but I will admit that I'm not very good with reading them with my fingers. Maybe counterintuitively, I read her braille visually ;)

Anyway, the point is that once I learned, it's stuck with me. Kind of like learning french... most of us remember the basics if we've learned it
 markawelch
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/1/2005 10:17:32 AM
Well, if I can learn Farsi, then surely I can learn Braille.
 Jackleg
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/1/2005 1:17:45 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here but thought i'd jump in on the conversation. I dated a deaf girl during high school. She could read lips and did teach me a little sign. However, I have forgotten most of it now. Now today, if I was attracted to the girl, i'd have no problems approaching her. Why not. The other is, I do wear hearing aids and sometimes I do feel selfconcious about them. I know its silly but sometimes can't help wondering if it also repels to some extent.

I find it also interesting that the original poster hasn't returned to this topic to continue her views or points.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/1/2005 2:19:28 PM
she did once. I think she was done a while ago. The answer her origional question has all been various forms No.
 markawelch
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/1/2005 2:23:20 PM
So, this thread has become a sucking void that just grabs guys?
 The Chubster
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/1/2005 4:20:55 PM
I never dated a deaf girl,so i guess i don't have an opinion on this.
 markawelch
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/2/2005 12:32:19 PM
Soft Teddy,

I don't think any of us on this thread have dated a deaf girl.

However, we still gleefully give our opinions.

That's a wonderful bit of these forums.
 mdew22
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:16:04 PM
i have aids too. i cant hardley hear any thing with out them. so i dont see any thing wrong with dateing a deaf girl. we have a lot of small rocks here that i could throw at her to get her atention.
just kidding.
lol

mdew22
 markawelch
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:19:23 PM
mdew,

Have you read all of the thread? I always like to see your insights on postings.
 jpl3447
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:28:47 PM
mdew... its nice to see a fellow hearing aid wearer on POF

This little girl at my church wears purple aids lol

She's like 6 lol
 CEC93013
Msg: 43
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl?*J*???
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:31:30 PM
That's simple,because Guy's are always talking about them selves,and a deaf girl just can't hear him...(-;
 markawelch
Msg: 44
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl?*J*???
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:40:18 PM
CEC,

Wouldn't that actually be a plus in some situations?
 Jlizzy
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/2/2005 4:54:49 PM
Hello all. Goodycutie and Kiefer -what's a cochlea implant?

I myself am sigificantly hard of hearing. Don't hear most mobiles (a few yrs ago couldnt hear any coz they were all too high pitched now some have lower ringtones), don't hear my walkman that's still playing unless the earpiece is actually in my ear, don't hear birds, basically I don't hear any high tones...

All in all I lead a normal life but it does obviously affect me in certain ways. Eg sitting with a big group of people is a nightmare because it's desperately hard to lipread a conversationg going on between more people. Following classes or meetings at work is rough, I find due to having to concentrate so much more I fall asleep very easy!! Eekk..

However I think it's fascinating how people automatically make up for whatever losses. Eg a blind person has an amazing sense of feel and hearing. As a person with a hearing problem I'm very visual and I spot movement very quick..my sense are heightened in that respect. I'm also really god at reading body language (because I depend so much on it) and I can tell you what two people across the room, or behind glass etc etc are saying as long as I can see their lips. So there's many many advantages to it as well as disadvantages...

Personally I think another advantage is perhaps that you're tolerance for people and you're level of understanding is slightly higher...my point? People are people. Every single one of us has some brilliant qualities about us as well as the less great qualities. Every person is unique. As already mentioned, I think it's up to the person to decide wha they're attracted to. NOt on the merit of what kind of abnormality or dysfunction a person has but merely on the merit of how you can relate to them, communicate with them etc etc either there' attraction or not and granted a persons dysfunction can rightfully be an indirect?direct? influence on whether or not a person is attracted to you or not. I get on very well with multinationals because you've got people with different native languages and so a conversation has to have more clarity, patience, tolerence and understanding.
I find it a lot more difficult to relate to my irish friends who make quick snappy sarcastic jokes because I can't hear what they're saying and I miss the jokes and then it's over..so I'm sure that frustration cuts both ways..
 markawelch
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/2/2005 4:59:15 PM
I'm sure those guys could give a better description, but it's basically an electronic replacement for certain components of your inner ear. The newer ones are fairly well hidden and the external components attach to the internal components via a magnet through your skin. The older ones were very robotic looking and actually had a jack in the side of your head that physically attached the external components to the internal components.

These days, it's very compact and the prices are much lower. Also, the tech is a lot more reliable.

I only know because one of my cousins has one.
 Kiefer
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/2/2005 11:10:45 PM
Ahh...I like to call it a bionic ear. Which is pretty close to the truth..
 angelhmm
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/3/2005 1:23:24 AM
Well, there isn't much difference and I should know. I'm deaf in one ear. It doesn't make me incapacitated. In fact, most of my senses are even more heightened. You learn to adapt to it, slowly, but you do adapt. Besides, with the problems 'most' men and women have during normal communications, there isn't much difference. You just end up learning a new way of doing things. It's simple! ;)

angel
 markawelch
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/3/2005 4:30:51 PM
Angel,

It's never quite "simple". (smile)
 angelhmm
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/3/2005 5:25:08 PM
Well, I guess that depends on who you are and what you want in a relationship, right? I should probably say, for me, it's simple! Personally, I wouldn't want to be with someone who had any questions about whether they would date me or not, just because I wasn't 100% perfect. Last I checked, no one is perfect!

angel
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl