Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 201
view profile
History
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girlPage 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I see another problem that may arise with dating a deaf person. Learning sign language and being able to read her body gestures to have basic communication is fine between you two. But there might be settings when you gather with friends, co-workers, and/or family-especially this time of year-and will be with people who don't know sign language. Some people might be uncomfortable in that type of situation. If you're at a gathering where 3 or 4 people are talking at the same time, some people are cracking jokes, there's constant chatter, etc., how do you get the deaf friend involved in everything that's going on?
 livinon
Msg: 202
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl
Posted: 5/26/2012 4:49:27 AM
i would totaly date a deaf woman. I, for some reason I am not sure of have always wanted to learn ASL. What better motivation to study :) lol and if the chemistry's there im sure that communicating as i learn wouldnt be that difficult, thats what texting is for i guess.
 silentletters
Msg: 203
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:48:20 AM
I think the real issue would be, a deaf girl dating a hearing guy. Men are all about the trophies and I am sorry to say but most would treat this as such. Like the Blonde or the one with an accent. Also it is hard enough to communicate for most of us, to put up such a boundary between two people would be huge.

I could see it if the other person actually even knew basic ASL, but if not I could see this turning out well not very well for either party. Being fluent in ASL, and growing up in deaf culture. I do know more than the average bear, I have watched people get interested in it. Stop and walk away and have seen how that hurts the other person.

I am in no way saying that it is impossible, I would just think more times than not it would come with to many problems.
 mysterioustallmn
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2012 1:23:28 AM
Learning sign language is not that tough, the more you sign, the better you get at it. As with all people, there are many different types of deaf people. Some deaf spend their whole lives attempting to integrate into the hearing world, while others reject it and stay within the deaf community. People always say they'd rather be deaf than blind, but after having been around a lot of deaf people, I'd rather be blind. Neither are any good, but one thing about being deaf, you're always alone inside your head. You can sign, read lips, closed captioning, but when you're deaf you never really know if what you're feeling or what others are feeling about you is being expressed correctly, so much of communication is in the tone of what's said.
 alexbrod
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2013 10:38:03 AM
I just had to put my penny's worth in this forum.

There are some fantastic comments from some people (kiefer, pedro sanchez ) and I found myself agreeing with them. I'm glad there are some open minded men out there who's willing to take the leap into the unknown. I'm just tad disappointed with some of the negative replies about the communication difficulties etc, why? Some are quite ridiculous, bordering on ignorant and making wrong assumptions.

Would you date someone who's beautiful but blind, or in a wheelchair. They're missing the whole point of love, accepting the person's soul and their whole persona.

I am profoundly deaf, I mean totally deaf! I rely on lipreading and can communicate verbally. Majority of the time, I can make myself understood with no problems. Mind you, not all women rely on signing even though I do use them but infrequently unless I'm with my friends. There are women who rely on lipreading, or use various methods of communication, we adapt. I've achieved a lot in my life, being involved in an orchestra as a kid, passing my driving test first time, getting my degree and holding down a responsible job, all done by adapting my communication skills.

I know some of us ( I say some because I do not know the majority of women would do this) work extra hard to listen to you when you need someone to talk to, not because we have to, we want to cos we like to show you we care.
Which you would prefer, a woman looking you in the eye, listening to you intently or a woman looking in the other way, half listening to you, half interested. I'm pretty much tuned in with body language.... I have been quite fortunate with dating and men in general apart from a silly idiot who happened to be rather closed minded, I'm not letting that hold me back, that's because I have shown them what I can do, and I don't focus on the negatives. Unfortunately there are people who do focus on the negatives are happen to be ignorant and make wrong assumptions about deaf people, that's because they haven't spent time with a deaf person who can teach them the positives.

I loved Pedro Sanchez's story, it's a really uplifting story. One day I will be that red-haired lady turning my lucky man's world upside down. Share the silence and the experience. Open your eyes and heart, you'll never know you may experience the sheer beauty of silence and sound.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl