Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 windsorwhiteman
Msg: 51
why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
well it goes the same with girls, there's alot of girls that can't seem to keep their legs closed. lol then that's when the baby comes in
 best kept secret
Msg: 52
why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?
Posted: 12/4/2006 6:51:29 PM
This all just about giving one another personal space. Hummm?

Shouldn't turn into cutting each other down.
 Creativguy
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/4/2006 7:14:54 PM
It's because a man's pelvis is shaped differently than a woman's, so it's not intentional, it's just the way the legs will fall when relaxed. To keep the legs together isn't comfortable for most men, it requires constant exertion of the leg muscles to force the legs to stay together.
 lucidness
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2006 7:27:06 PM
thats true never knew that. I just tested it out and I can definately feel my leg muscles pulling my legs apart...
 AAARRG!
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/4/2006 7:33:51 PM
It's just the way thing are. Is probably the best answer.

It is more comfortable for most men to sit that way. Like if a guy crosses his legs it's one foot on his knee, again allowing for comfort and room. If guys cross their legs like women there is a good chance of some painful damage to the whole three piece set.

Also like another poster said, we try to take up alot of space to try to "protect" our space. Whether conscious or not. Like how most guys when sitting in a booth will always sit on the outside facing the door. We have the instinc to protect our "prey" by keeping them away from the dangers of other hunters by sitting on the outside and be able to keep a close eye out on the "cave" door is why we tend to face the door more often than not.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2006 7:52:54 PM
Well have to say, I've learned so much more about the male anatomy from this thread. Interesting, been married and raised two man cubs into adulthood myself, sure neither of my sons would have ever told dear old Mom these things. Thank God for both our sakes!!
It's been entertaining to say the least, but really what's the big deal? If the man's leg is getting in the way of driving can't you just ask him to move it over a bit for safety's sake, move the seat back, or don't let tall men ride in your car if it's that cramped? I wouldn't want anyone to do anything that makes them physically uncomfortable for my sake. Maybe I'm strange...pfft, wouldn't be the first time!!
 Fireand Ice
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/4/2006 8:01:30 PM
To allow our balls space to breathe.. otherswise the 'pinch' in our ginch.. causes unecessary sweating....

And no-one wants salty balls!
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/4/2006 8:27:50 PM
cuz we're wishing or inviting someone to get in between to give us some head
 thelostrider
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/4/2006 8:41:54 PM
AH all the whining. Just wear jockeys, close your legs and sit up straight. Its only proper. Is that so hard?

Then again, you might want to have kids some day. Could this be a natural form of male birth control?
 Rhett1
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/4/2006 9:47:12 PM
I don't know how men walk around with those things...(but me like!)
 strummer52
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/4/2006 9:47:17 PM
Thats right , men close there legs to catch something, thats how Tom Sawyer got caught when him and Huck dressed up like girls...
 NewWayHome
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/4/2006 10:15:32 PM
It's subconscious body language, men that do it usually don't even realize they're doing it; it's a sign of self-confidence.

Assalaamu alaikum,
Michael
 makingupaname
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/5/2006 12:11:03 AM

EXACTLY!!! thank you. now why can't men just see that!

yes, us men are wrong about what we find comfortable.

Guido Sarducci
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/5/2006 12:20:30 AM
Because we liiiIIIIIIiiiiike it OK? DEAL FRIKKIN WITH IT! and if we fart we can fart silently but adjusting the colon above the shpinkter juUUUUuuuuUUUUuuuusssSSSST right AAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhHHHHHH just like that! and maybe just maybe....so we can angle the fart into the seat so it doesn't smell so bad for you...but really it's a comfort and joy thing comfort and joy!
 Frau Bl├╝cher
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/5/2006 4:02:56 AM
I think it has something to do with Feng Shui, the ancient Chinese practice of placement. If things get too tight, they can easily rearrange the loveseat closer to the window.

diamondbrooke
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/5/2006 4:17:58 AM
Always wondered this myself. Gay men cross their legs, and straight men spread them as far as possible when sitting. WHy is that?
 nipoleon
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2006 4:22:53 AM
1st off, women tend to drive shuch small cars.
Secondly, we like having you bump our legs when you shift into 3rd.
 shieldvulf
Msg: 68
view profile
History
why do gals have to drive clown cars?
Posted: 12/5/2006 7:31:27 AM
Yes! Why do women drive such small cars? A man can't sit up straight without knocking his knees on his chin, so he has to let his long, lean, runner's legs fall to either side, banging on the passenger door and the gearshift. And, on top of that discomfort (and danger! Why, in an accident, he'd be snapped like a pretzel!), once he's wedged himself in like that, the woman can't keep her mind on driving. She uses his contortions as an excuse to cop a feel! ("Oooo, sorry, I was trying to shift." riiiiiight.) It's humiliating! Dangerous! Uncomfortable! I tell you, a woman with a small car is thinking only of herself.

Cheers!

Vulf
 smith2267
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/5/2006 7:42:09 AM
Duh, he wants you to touch his leg.
 bustinjrown234
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/5/2006 7:50:45 AM
I have heard that it is just because of the way a mans hips are built, the natural way for a man to sit is with his legs open, it's not natural to sit with your legs held together, it's like trying to close a pair of tweezers and then making them stay that way. The natural position for men and tweezers around the world is open.
 diamondbrooke
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/5/2006 8:18:13 AM
Why don't gay men???
 iamcanuck
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/5/2006 8:25:47 AM
It's a subconcious way of establishing power. There was a study done (Harvard? Yale?) where men and women were studied on how much space they 'took up'. Generally speaking, men will take up more space (elbows a little wider, paper spread out a little more on the table) where women would tend to take up less space (elbows close to body, pad on lap?). I'm guessing this behaviour is similar in nature.

^^^^^
As far as 'gay' men, as they tend to be more feminine in behaviour, I'd assume they'd have more of a closed posture.
 shieldvulf
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2006 8:31:31 AM
Some gay men do, brooke. And some straight men cross their legs. That's a pretty extreme stereotype you have going there. There's no hard and fast rule about any human behavior, but, instead, a range of behaviors you'll find in a given circumstance. After all, if we were predictable, we wouldn't be human, would we?

About that stereotype. Isn't it likely that you notice the gay men with their legs crossed and don't notice the gay men with their legs uncrossed? I think that's how we often persuade ourselves to believe things that aren't really accurate. We only remember the bits that trigger our attention. The ocean of things we don't notice don't even seem to exist.

Cheers!

Vulf
 makingupaname
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/5/2006 8:44:41 AM

Why don't gay men???

Gay men handle uncomfortable sensations a lot better than straight men do.

wrencher77
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/5/2006 9:00:45 AM
You were driving? Well there's the problem right there.......
Simple solution:

Pull over, get out and get on the "be-@rch" side of the car. But i guess if YOU had to pick him up, cause he doesn't have his own wheels, then i guess he's in the right seat....

I'm kidding btw......
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?